Encryption

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
One of my fellow AWPoets often brings up the concept of encryption and how it affects a poem or how the encryption is often the "real" poem, a poem within a poem.

So, I thought others might want to weigh in on the subject and offer their thoughts, examples and definitions as to the part encryption plays in their poems or the poems of others.

Here's the definition I took from dictionary.com :
Cultural Dictionary

encryption definition

The process of encoding a message so that it can be read only by the sender and the intended recipient. Encryption systems often use two keys, a public key, available to anyone, and a private key that allows only the recipient to decode the message. ( See also cryptography.)

The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition
Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Cite This Source

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
One of my fellow AWPoets often brings up the concept of encryption and how it affects a poem or how the encryption is often the "real" poem, a poem within a poem.

So, I thought others might want to weigh in on the subject and offer their thoughts, examples and definitions as to the part encryption plays in their poems or the poems of others.
This is (almost) dissapointing - I was expecting a poem about encryption or that includes it.

An excellent popular book on the history of cryptography is "The Code Book" by Simon Singh:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0385495323/?tag=absowrit-20

It discussed in depth the Enigma machine used in WWII, and also language and the decoding of the Rosetta Stone. I didn't know what a "phonetic language" is, and these people not only know the words in these dead languages, but that they know how to pronounce them. It also discusses this:
Encryption systems often use two keys, a public key, available to anyone, and a private key that allows only the recipient to decode the message.
This is (relatively) secure cryptography, which has only been developed in the last few decades. Previous methods used the same private key for both encryption and decryption.

By the way, encode and decode don't imply a secret message, but rather converting a message to a form that might be easier to store or transmit in a special way, such as Morse Code.

Defining encryption is (relatively) easy - I'd really like a definition of a poem.

I find poetry to be a bit like jazz, a musical form I've found fascinating all my life, yet I feel like an outsider to it. The notes and beats often seem random, yet they clearly have meaning to its fans. I don't quite "get it." I'm afraid it's like the old Saturn automobile ads - if I don't get it by now, I'll never understand.

My own poetry has been limited to the forms of limericks and haiku. I guess that's like playing 12-bar blues and calling it jazz...

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Poetry is re-jigged language, meant to be reflective on our language and how much it misses if we only speak in prose. Limericks and haiku are completely acceptable and not merely 12-bar blues dressed up as jazz.

kdnxdr

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
E.

Norton 360 flagged that site as a threat.

David

Thank you, David!

I sooooooooo apologize. People like me 'step in' that kind of crap everyday because, for me, I'm just not smart enough about it all and I don't have the 'latest-greatest' to catch it for me.

Everyone, please avoid going to the link that I posted in the first post. I'll go now and remove it.

kid

kdnxdr

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
I would think that most encrypted poetry would be intuitively developed as most poets are not cryptologists, in the true sense of being a cryptologists.

Really, this discussion is wide open because I posted out of curiosity to see what I could learn from you all about the subject.

I do suspect that as the conscious and subconscious twine together to express one's inner thoughts/feelings/observations, poems develop in multiple layers, maybe when the poet was not particularly 'aware' of the 'other layers' than the one being used as the medium for the message? If any of that makes sense?

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard the term "encryption" applied to poetry. Who is this poet tossing this term around? Is this really an encrypted discussion about metaphors (extended and otherwise)??

Last edited:

kdnxdr

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
Aspier has brought the term up in some of his critiques. Out of curiosity, and ignorance, I did some websearches and found the term used in a variety of different context. I didn't know no better.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'm open to new uses of terminology. And I did find a few poetry critics using the term loosely. I felt I had to defend the honor of Madame Defarge. Oh never mind, I'm just annoyed by the clutch of buckeyes rattling around in my shoes!

kdnxdr

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
Hey, I'm open to new uses of terminology. And I did find a few poetry critics using the term loosely. I felt I had to defend the honor of Madame Defarge. Oh never mind, I'm just annoyed by the clutch of buckeyes rattling around in my shoes!

Ah, hah! Was that a post within a post????

kdnxdr

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
Weird, when I searched for "buckeyes", I ended up learning how to leach acorns to make bread. Dang, internet, it just sucks you right in, doesn't it?

kdnxdr

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
"This is (almost) dissapointing - I was expecting a poem about encryption or that includes it."

For BB:

what I said laid in bed
barely able to talk, or walk
across the room, which
was like a tomb;
a crypt

not hip;
words limped along
without a song,
blue without you
to follow

hollow;
it wasn't nice
I began to splice
sputtering out some
nonsense

I took license;
spilled my guts
hit a few ruts,
the light came on -
it was all in fun!

Diamons

Registered
Reaction score
I especially like poems with encryptions within them because I feel that's what a poem should be: thought provoking. An encryption in the poem gives a poem, but when you read it again, you get this whole other understand to it and it I get this feeling off reading it which I can't explain, like I found a lost jewel or something.

kdnxdr

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
Welcome to AWforums, Diamon!

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread and for offering some comments.

Hope to see you around some more.

kid

Juvela Obi

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
In my own personal world, right next to the black
I am not unfamiliar with encrypted poems--in more than one idea of the word:

"Though silent and unseen
All do know I'm there
Here for a moment
Too soon I am gone
Creatures born of fear
Beware"

This is one of my more well-memorised ones, and an example of riddle-weaving.

On the other hand,

"Abcdef Ghi
Wivn f adwde-eiod ndftv
Und'u nikkdq ltgp vnd wgtek
Fltfik vg refy ndt rftv"

is literally encrypted--for a reason. That poem is 1) about me and 2) about someone taking the time and effort to figure me out. So, the encryption just makes sure that anyone trying to figure out who I am by reading the poem is also willing to take the time and effort. In the case of people with a talent for decryting stuff, it just makes it more poetic in my opinion.

kdnxdr

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
So, is the poem the key to decode the encryption?

I'm honestly not very knowledable about all this stuff, obviously. :)

By the way, welcome! And, thanks for jumping in and giving us something to think about.

Juvela Obi

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
The key to the code is rather simple, but still meaningful. My personal favorite form of cryptogram (encryption by way of making each letter represent a different letter) involves taking a word or short phrase, and making that the "key phrase"--the letters of that phrase are represented first, and then the gaps are filled in with the rest. For example, if the key phrase is "penguin" then P would be replaced with A, E would be replaced with B, etc, and then the rest of the alphabet gets filled in. There are 7 letters in PENGUIN, and none of them are A, so A would be replaced with the 8th letter of the alphabet (H), BCD by IJK, since E already has an assigned letter, you would skip it, and L replaces F. And so on and so forth.

It takes a lot of time for someone who calls me by my legal name to earn my trust enough to for me to tell them that I am Juvela Obi. If you noticed, the first line of that poem is replaced with "Abcdef Ghi" which means that the first line IS the key phrase. The poem is about who I am. The title is Juvela Obi, and it starts with my name as well. So, the key is the name I don't share with people. It's kind of like...it's another step in learning who I am--they have to untangle the puzzle of Me to know me well enough to have learned my Name, before they can even begin to untangle the puzzle that explains it. Obviously, over the internet it works a bit differently, because I go by my pseudonym all the time, but people knowing that part means nothing if they don't know which legal name to match it with. *shrug*

Last edited:

Juvela Obi

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
No worries! Eiji and I had to send coded messages to each other for a few years so that my parents couldn't read them. We got rather good at it, heh. His favorite form was to replace letter with numbers (but in a lot more complex ways than A=1, B=2, etc) and my favorite form, when not on the computer, was to ditch recognizeable letters and numbers altogether. I invented maybe four or five different alphabets in those years, and a couple of them I still use.

And thanks for the welcome, by the way!

kdnxdr

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
Just goes to show you how user specific language can get and how, depending on the language code, small you can determine the receiving audience to be.

Juvela Obi

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Lol! Try reading what I listed as my location; I KNOW I live in a completely different world! Adam S from the Mythbusters put it best: "I reject your reality, and replace it with my own!" It makes life more interesting, among other things. Have you ever scene that list of 101 Things to Do in Wal Mart? I actually made the original version (mine was only 23 long, but still...) I have the fun side, the obnoxious side, the quiet side, and the ultra-serious side. How well I know a person determines which side I show them. My poems are the only place I show my thoughts and emotions to the deepest extent, because I originally hadn't planned on anyone ever reading them. The style and personality with which I write and communicate over this and any other writing forums will likely be rather amorphous until I get the hang of it. PLease bear with me!

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
There is three types of encryption:

Mnemonic: Encrypted for the sole purpose of it being remembered. Re: hymns, odes, epics.

Riddle: Encrypted for the sole purpose of reflection. Re: ballads, limericks, song.

Cryptogram: Encrypted for the sole purpose of solving or obfuscating. Re: spells, galdors, concrete poem.