The Robin Hood of babies???

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
So I have an unusual question.

Story background:
Ok so in my story my two MC's are stalking this guy. They see this guy has a little baby boy, about a year old. Now this guy is a druggy that has almost killed the kid a few times by passing out and not paying attention to it, as it wondered towards the stairs, or over near an outlet. But this guy only has partial custody. Normally the baby lives with his whoring, duggy mother, who is just as equally irresponsible with the child, her only being a 17 year old high school drop out, who didnt want the kid to begin with but found out too far into the pregnancy to get an abortion.

Anyway my two MC's see this and feel bad for the kid, after all neither parent is looking out for the child and really wants it. So they steal the child and knowing a family that has been trying to have an child and cant and is on a possible 7 year wait list to adopt, want them to raise the kid.

MY QUESTION!
Now what would happen to this child if it was just dropped on this couples doorstep? Could these two loving people take care of the child or would the sudden appearance of the baby have to be alerted to child protective services? Could the couple avoid that? And if the Child protective services did get involved would the couple be able to adopt the baby later if its parents couldnt be found? What if a note came attached to the baby that this couple was a distant relative of the child and its mother wanted them to raise it? Would that be believable? Point is what would have to be the circumstances for this loving couple to be able to keep the baby?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure the couple would be suppose to report a baby being dropped on their doorstep (if for no other reason than the exact reason you gave; the baby could have be a kidnapped or stolen baby).

Would it work if this couple just wanted a baby so much that they rationalize keeping the baby, even if it was illegal?

You would have to do some additional research. These days, with a social security number being required of children, they would have to somehow overcome the legal complications.

Last edited:

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
well the good thing is that the police cant look for the baby because the biological parents were so horrible they never actually took a picture of the kid!! So the police who know he is missing have nothing to go on and the real parents dont really care he's gone.

One thing i do know to over come the social security issue is one of my MC's can forge those things! So I guess he can help out the baby with that.

I would just think neighbors would call the child protective services because one day there without kids and the next they have a one year old magically.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm putting myself in the shoes of the couple who wants a child desperately, when voila! A toddler appears on my doorstep.

My first instinct is to get this child inside, make sure he's not hurt, that he's warm, fed, etc., during which he will be adorable. Let's assume the neighbors did not see the baby dropped off, so I've done this without anybody being the wiser except the person who dropped the baby off.

Once I'm sure the kid is healthy and happy, I'd start talking with my husband. This must be somebody's baby. What's going on? I'd be following the news closely, watching for kidnappings, missing children, and such. The druggies have notified the police, right? So this is going to get publicity, and I will learn the parents are junkies and lousy parents. Nevertheless, the police will search ardently.

Which means my husband and I have a hard decision to make. Do we essentially steal this child or not? For the purposes of your story, we do. In that case, we don't want our neighbors, colleagues, friends, and such to see we suddenly have bypassed that seven-year adoption waiting list and have no papers.

What we do instead is liquidate our assets, pack up our stuff, and take off, without letting anybody see the baby. We buy baby supplies as needed at some large, anonymous store, among many other purchases.

We'd be smart to take the baby across international borders illegally until we have him in a place where nobody's paying any attention to whether the Americans with the baby have papers for him. He'll be starting to talk, calling us parent-names, and we won't raise any suspicions.

We should probably travel a lot in countries not known for their record keeping, doing whatever jobs keep us afloat. And after at least five years, we return to the US with our son, born at hospital Z in country X, from which we are still trying to get a birth certificate.

Maryn, fairly devious

Last edited:

Kathie Freeman

That Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catbook.biz
I'm putting myself in the shoes of the couple who wants a child desperately, when voila! A toddler appears on my doorstep.

My first instinct is to get this child inside, make sure he's not hurt, that he's warm, fed, etc., during which he will be adorable. Let's assume the neighbors did not see the baby dropped off, so I've done this without anybody being the wiser except the person who dropped the baby off.

Once I'm sure the kid is healthy and happy, I'd start talking with my husband. This must be somebody's baby. What's going on? I'd be following the news closely, watching for kidnappings, missing children, and such. The druggies have notified the police, right? So this is going to get publicity, and I will learn the parents are junkies and lousy parents. Nevertheless, the police will search ardently.

Which means my husband and I have a hard decision to make. Do we essentially steal this child or not? For the purposes of your story, we do. In that case, we don't want our neighbors, colleagues, friends, and such to see we suddenly have bypassed that seven-year adoption waiting list and have no papers.

What we do instead is liquidate our assets, pack up our stuff, and take off, without letting anybody see the baby. We buy baby supplies as needed at some large, anonymous store, among many other purchases.

We'd be smart to take the baby across international borders illegally until we have him in a place where nobody's paying any attention to whether the Americans with the baby have papers for him. .

I'm with you up to this point, but crossing international borders can get you into serious trouble. All they really need to do is move to any big city and rent an apartment. Go to the cemetery and find a child who died soon after birth and forge a copy of the birth ceritficate. Then you can get a legal SS#. If you forge the SS certificate it will be flagged when the parents file a return, or at least when the child starts to work.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know about the legalities, or moralities of keeping the kid, but on the other end, maybe the birthparents don't want the kid, (they may still wonder what the heck happened to ShortStuff and berate each other for irresponsibility) but what if people in their neighbourhood know they have a kid? The parents may just shrug and move on, but what if the neighbours are worried about the missing kid, even suspect foul play? Or, at least, fatal accident?
"Those two druggies have that sweet child, where is the poor little fellow now? I always knew it would end badly!"
They might keep on at the police, CPS, etc. If the parents are being investigated, they may be a lot more interested in the fate of their offspring.
This might be useful if you need additional complication.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, the original parents are being suspected of possibly killing the child. Well at least th father is suspected. The police try to investigate but they cant find one picture of the child, the father is completely incoherent talking about some insane kidnapping/murder plot, and the mother disappears with her pimp excited she is finally free of the kid. The police try for several weeks to investigate the disappearance and or murder but there is absolutely no evidence the kid even really exists.

Think the new parents could just disappear with the child that simply? I know the borders to both mexico and Canada are pretty strict with seeing babies records and an airport would be way to hard to get though with an illegal baby. Think they could just move a state or two over and settle down as a nice family? Would getting good fake documents like ss# and birth certificates be that hard to do?

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
It would be easier to get away with keeping the baby without moving if the new parents are recluses who don't interact with anyone in the neighborhood, and their neighbors don't care about... they can have friends/relatives in the area, as long as only the parents go to visit them and never the other way around. Maybe order the baby stuff online just in case? It would also help the social security issue if they have a low enough income not to have to file taxes, or make most to all of their money off the books. Just putting that out there...

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Or if the new parents didn't have the baby dropped on them, all unprepared. If they had time to make up a story. "When we realised it would be a 7 year wait for a baby here, we started inquiries overseas, and, guess what! Our baby arrived from Russia yesterday! We didn't want to say anything earlier and jinx it!"
Presto! A baby that they don't have to hide. Most people don't really care about the actual details of how the baby came, or whether Russia is still a source of adoptable babies or not, it seems vaguely plausible, and that's good enough for anyone but some kind of nut.
They'd still have to get fake papers, but any missing documents could be blamed on that darn orphanage, and anyway, if they're not moving around, they won't need much ID before the baby starts school.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
And what happens when the child needs medical attention? Blood type may not match either parent, and DNA definitely won't. Family medical history won't match, either, which means the baby could die because the couple doesn't know, and won't admit the baby isn't theirs. Nor can you just forge a social security number. First you need a birth certificate, one that's actually on record, and then the SS number is on record. The coupel would need a birth certificate regularly, and this does not mean a piece of paper that looks like a birth certificate. It means one actually on file. Computers have made the old way of faking an identity impossible.

You can't even get a baby from Russia or China or anywhere else in a Presto! manner. Babies still have to come through customs, etc. Say your baby is adopted from somewhere else, and you must be able to prove it. The only way you can fake an adoption this way is to have a very high-placed lawyer who can not only fake the papers, but who can actually file all the right things in all the right places. It ain't easy, and it ain't cheap.

And what happens when the baby is school age?

If the MC feels bad for the baby, you're blowing logic when he doesn't just call social services. The couple may keep a baby hid for many years, but they can never, ever treat that baby as anything other than a kidnapped child, which is what it is.

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
Where? When?

In the contemporary US, it's feasible but illegal. Social services will first try to find the parents or other relatives, then adopt it out if they're not findable or if they relinquish -- but not necessarily to the people who found it.

However, depending on the situation, the parents of the child *can* voluntarily relinquish the baby to specific parents. (Assuming US here, the rules are different in the UK and Australia -- there the parent-choice is not up to the birthparents.) You could have the MCs bribe or otherwise persuade the parents to do so. Rules on how to do it differ from state to state, but if both parents are in agreement and potential adoptive parents have been located, it's pretty straightforward.

If the objective is to get the baby away from the abusive parents, then the best bet would be to drop him off at a Safe Haven. (This varies from State to State both in terms of what is considered a SH and the age limit on the kid.)

If the objective is to have the childless couple raise the kid without being legally entitled, then either they are off the map (kid is home-schooled) or they'll have to create paperwork. Having no paperwork will mess the kid up later. He won't even be able to prove he's a US citizen, or his actual age.

Depending on which state they're in, they may be able to file for a "delayed birth certificate." Here's a link for how to do it for Oregon.

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/770140/getting-the-birth-certificate

Then they're all set. File for an SSN, and so on.

If you want complications later -- the kid's blood group doesn't match the parents, and it's spotted when he has an accident or something.

In most cases, when something like that happens, they assume the baby was inadvertently switched with another one in the hospital. But in this case, they're filing for an unattended home birth...

If nothing goes wrong, the kid could grow up never knowing he's been raised by parents who weren't his bio-parents.

leeblewb

Registered
Reaction score
Most feasible, is that if the couple has been on a waiting list to adopt. They have probably already had a home study and could in theory have been approved as foster parents. If that were the case, yes they would have to notify child protective services, but if it was a relative (or if that was their story) they could apply for temporary custody until things were finalized.

shabbyitis

Newbie, could use a lot of tips!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm adopted and from what I've gotten from the whole thing, in regards to this scenario, is that it would be possible (given a few conditions)

1) The authorities are unable to find out what happened to the birth parents of the kid
2) The non-druggy parents did in fact alert the authorities. One would be surprised how often not having any biological connection to their parents would come up.
3) The baby was officially declared an orphan by the authorities, thereby making the child eligible to be adopted. My (adoptive) parents had to do a lot to get me and with all of today's focus on child-rearing there is simply NO way to get around the government for non-biological parents. For example, the kid will need a birth certificate. It is possible to verify a child is yours in undocumented births but the government does not simply "take the alleged parents' word for it"

That said, having this baby adopted by the non-druggy parents is far from impossible. There are so many possibilities to how this could be accomplished you may even have a nice little addition to your plot. Maybe the parents learn a little somthin' from the process? Maybe the kid grows up (if the story covers that many years) and has a little somethin' special to build his character to make him more dimensional? Idk just sayin :)

BTW I am by no means someone who studies law. This is all just what I have learned first hand from being adopted. If someone has something else to say that does study law I highly suggest you take their advice over mine lol