Anyone familiar with gun laws in Turkey?

NCHammerhead

Registered
Reaction score
So this is my first post ever, and if it goes well, I'm sure that it will be followed dozens upon dozens of other posts. If it doesn't go well, I'll likely crawl back into the writing closet.

I've been trying to do some research online and can find some info but not what I need.

Here are my questions: Does anyone know the basics of gun laws in Turkey? How easy is it to buy a handgun (legal or otherwise)? How does a foreigner acquire a gun after shortly after arriving in Turkey? What are the penalties for illegal possession -- I know the drug laws are tough, I assume the gun laws are as well.

Please note: This is for a work of fiction. I have no intention of ever breaking any laws in Turkey, nor aiding and abetting anyone else to do so either.

If anyone has familiarity with Turkey, particularly the Izmir region (Ephesus, Kusadasi, etc), and wouldn't mind answering a few occasional questions, I would love to have a contact with some first-hand expertise.

Teşekkür ederim,
Mike

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Hope someone comes along and helps out.

Besides that, welcome to AW. :welcome:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
This site may have some of what you are looking for...

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/turkey

All guns are supposed to be registered. Carrying a gun openly in public is permitted except where otherwise noted, like in government buildings, schools and other places.

As to how hard it would be for a foreigner to obtain a gun? There are lots of factions in that part of the world that deal in guns. I would not think it too hard so long as the person has the money. A AK-47 for example on the open market sells for about 900-1000 dollars. But the gun has to be registered and that means a background check. Not sure a foreigner would meet the qualifications. Therefore, you go to the black market where the prices can triple.

Hope this helps...

NCHammerhead

Registered
Reaction score
Sara -- thanks for the good wishes.. looks like thothguard has saved the day
Thothguard -- thanks, looks like this site may be just what I am looking for.. I appreciate your help..

I hereby pronounce this forum "extremely helpful"

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I can get you in touch with a very nice young guy, but he doesn't speak English. If you can get the Turkish for some questions, I'll happily pass it on :)

He's learning other languages and teaching Turkish, but he's very nice and helpful (the common language is mainly French with this group).

NCHammerhead

Registered
Reaction score
Backslash - that would be great, its certainly worth a try.. if you dont' mind, please PM me his contact info.. Hopefully though the magic of Google Translate we can make it work :)