What Does West Virginia Mean to You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't mind, please indulge me and tell me what your first thoughts are when you hear the state of West Virginia mentioned.

I'm not looking for politeness, just honesty--either good, bad, or both.

(I have a hypothesis . . .)

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
Shwebb said:
If you don't mind, please indulge me and tell me what your first thoughts are when you hear the state of West Virginia mentioned.

I'm from Virginia originally (as in up until last year), so the first thing a lot of us think is about the stereotypical, unkept, dirty mountain people. That was when I was 12-18.

Now, I realize it is just like any other state, it has its good parts and its bad parts.

(Except for this weekend when Va. Tech plays WVU, then I go back to my teenage thinking!)

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I'm originally from Va, too.

West Virginia: Gorgeous Mountains and highway money (the whole state should be paved by now), oh and John Denver...you know the song (now I'm singin' it!).

Rob :)

Last edited:

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
I'm originally from Va, too.

West Virginia: Gorgeous Mountains and highway money (the whole state should be paved by now), oh and *<jeez, I'm drawing a blank, what's his name> Denver...you know the song (now I'm singin' it!).

I'll take John for 500 Alex.

What part of Va rob?

I was from the only part west of Richmond worth going to....and that would be Roanoke.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I live just one state away... and have driven through it many times (and lived/work there for a few months). To me, it means natural beauty -- the landscape is beautiful.

(p.s. yes, poverty and rednecks, too -- but I am an optimists) :)

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Born in Richmond, grew up in Newport News, but have relatives all around Lynchburg and my mom went to school at Roanoke. And I take issue with that being the only thing west of Richmond worth going to (and Richmond ain't worth much)...ever been to Natural Bridge? Not to mention Appomattox Court House, and there's <something> Springs that's pretty good, too.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Born in Richmond, grew up in Newport News, but have relatives all around Lynchburg and my mom went to school at Roanoke. And I take issue with that being the only thing west of Richmond worth going to (and Richmond ain't worth much)...ever been to Natural Bridge? Not to mention Appomattox Court House, and there's <something> Springs that's pretty good, too.

I lived in Waynesboro for a year, so I'm familiar with NB....if you've seen it once........

Hot Springs...Warm Springs???

Going to the App courthouse isn't worth actually having to go anywhere near App

But that's just me.....In my opinion, there is nothing more beautiful than the Roanoke Valley

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
OneTeamOneDream said:
Going to the App courthouse isn't worth actually having to go anywhere near App
Well, I can't get enough of it. There's a little know antique car museum in the area (private collection); it's great. Also, there are some wonderful places to eat and antique, if you know where to go. But I also have family in the area, including my 98 yeaqr-old Grandmother in Rustburg, who still lives alone and on her own.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Well, I can't get enough of it. There's a little know antique car museum in the area (private collection); it's great. Also, there are some wonderful places to eat and antique, if you know where to go. But I also have family in the area, including my 98 yeaqr-old Grandmother in Rustburg, who still lives alone and on her own.

I can see your points....but I like bigger places, you seem to like the things my wife seems to. Because of that, I drive almost 2 hours to St. Louis to work every day, and we live in a little podunk town in Missouri that reminds me of the places between Roanoke and Richmond......

Back on Topic.

WHAT DOES WEST VIRGINIA MEAN TO YOU?

(Sorry for hijacking)

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
To me, it's home.

Yeah, it's poor people, but it's also good people. We're not the "Deliverance" red necks everyone always thinks we are...people around here would give you the shirt off their backs if you asked them for it. And we're not all country, either.

Granted, Charleston, Huntington, Morgantown, Beckley, and some of the larger cities aren't New York, but things happen there; we don't all sit around on our front porches and try to hit the spittune every night, watching the sparks fly when a bug strays into the zapper. There are some very exciting things happening in Charleston and Huntington in the art and music scene. Ever heard of the band Byzantine? I went to high school with the lead singer of that band. There's several other bands that are on the cusp of the "big time".

We've got Toyota in our state (obviously, we must have some work ethic, or we wouldn't have been able to lure them), two of the largest health insurance third party administrators, large coal operations, Union Carbide (well, we used to...its now a part of...) and Dow Chemical. Our industries grow every day, and we are proud of our heritage.

Speaking of which...we have a grand one. I live in the southwestern coal fields. We've got ghost stories, Chief Logan, Princess Aracoma, Chief Cornstalk (was from the area) and a thousand other interesting tales about immigrants, old families, and hard-working people.

Sorry if I sound a bit snippy, and Shwebb, know it's not aimed at you. I get dog-tired of the stereotypes (they even stereotype us in the Carolinas, for goodness' sake!). It's time someone spoke up. Maybe it should be me...maybe I should write something to finally show the world we're not just stupid hicks that live in hollers.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
WVWriterGirl said:
To me, it's home.

Yeah, it's poor people, but it's also good people. We're not the "Deliverance" red necks everyone always thinks we are

Some of them are.....but that's everywhere.

...people around here would give you the shirt off their backs if you asked them for it.
Then again, some would TAKE the shirt off of your back too. But again, that's everywhere.

And we're not all country, either.

Nope...but again....

Granted, Charleston, Huntington, Morgantown, Beckley, and some of the larger cities aren't New York, but things happen there;

Absolutely, I love Charleston.

we don't all sit around on our front porches and try to hit the spittune every night, watching the sparks fly when a bug strays into the zapper.

That's funny!!!!
Ever heard of the band Byzantine?

No.

and we are proud of our heritage.

You should be.

Sorry if I sound a bit snippy,

Yeah you kinda do. But its understandable, you've had to live with people who think like I did when I was a teenager.

and Shwebb, know it's not aimed at you.
Hopefully not aimed at me either, because I haven't been a teenager for a long time.

I get dog-tired of the stereotypes (they even stereotype us in the Carolinas, for goodness' sake!).

That's a stretch, The Carolinas are ages ahead of WV.

It's time someone spoke up.

Lots of people have, you aren't the first.

Maybe it should be me...maybe I should write something to finally show the world we're not just stupid hicks that live in hollers.

I'll buy your first copy. Like I said, I learned to like parts of WV. Anyone that is close to my home state, I'll root for.

Spending time in WV is what made me realize that it was just like anywhere else.

If you want to really see some "Deliverance" type people, try going to Grundy or Honaker Va. Those people would make even the most countrified West Virginian look like they were from NYC.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honey Nut,

That's okay. I've actually met Americans who didn't know that West Virginia existed, either. I wouldn't expect someone from England to know, but I do expect someone on this side of the pond to at least know of its existence!

Oh, I knew you'd have something to say about it, Lin! And I'm right there w/ you. I have a little thought regarding this subject burning a hole in my head.:) Thanks for the input, girl.

BTW, have you read anything by Homer Hickam, Lin? He does a really good job of preserving the dignity and intelligence of his hometown folks in Coalwood. I really like his books.

Chris, I know you didn't mean anything in what you said. I am looking for the honesty, including the stereotypes, if that's what you know (or knew). I loved your answer! It's all okay. (And Linley knows why I can ask these questions--because I'm a West Virginian, too. :)

Lin, hon, your answer is also what I'm looking for!

Last edited:

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooh, believe me children, mama was bein' restrained.

OneTeamOneDream said:
That's a stretch, The Carolinas are ages ahead of WV.

Nope, it's not. I lived in North Carolina for two years and got made fun of daily for being from WV, talking the way I do, being so polite. I'm not just saying it, I lived it.

Shwebb said:
BTW, have you read anything by Homer Hickam, Lin? He does a really good job of preserving the dignity and intelligence of his hometown folks in Coalwood. I really like his books.

I haven't had the opportunity to pick one up...yet. I have a string of books lined up to read, and Rocket Boys is on my list, just not purchased yet. BTW, my dad was childhood friends with Chuck Yeager...he spent many summers in Hamlin, in Lincoln County, as a child, and spent a lot of time with him.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
WVWriterGirl said:
Ooooh, believe me children, mama was bein' restrained.

About what?

Nope, it's not. I lived in North Carolina for two years and got made fun of daily for being from WV, talking the way I do, being so polite. I'm not just saying it, I lived it.

Okay, like I said about WV, it all depends on where you go. Some parts are one way, some parts are another. There is no state more beautiful than Virginia, but that doesn't mean it has some crappy parts.

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
OneTeamOneDream said:
About what?

I was being restrained about my comments, what I have to say about my home state. I could fill two pages (more than that, really) on this site with things that are wonderful and things that are crappy about West Virginia, but I didn't think the majority of the people would take the time to read it. Why? Because we're in the low numbers in state rankings...no one cares about what happens in this state outside the border counties of Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland, and that's only by association. Do you think some of the members from California want to know what it's like to walk these hills, see the poor (and the rich) that people this state? They'd probably care about as much as I care about Joe Blow from Sacremento. That's why I was being restrained.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
WVWriterGirl said:
I was being restrained about my comments, what I have to say about my home state. I could fill two pages (more than that, really) on this site with things that are wonderful and things that are crappy about West Virginia, but I didn't think the majority of the people would take the time to read it. Why? Because we're in the low numbers in state rankings...no one cares about what happens in this state outside the border counties of Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia, Pennsylvania and Maryland, and that's only by association. Do you think some of the members from California want to know what it's like to walk these hills, see the poor (and the rich) that people this state? They'd probably care about as much as I care about Joe Blow from Sacremento. That's why I was being restrained.

I know how you feel....well in a way. Alot of people in Missouri have the same "Generalized" opinion of people in Southeast Missouri as the country seems to about WV. If it isn't STL, KC or Jeff City, "you don't count." People down here really get crapped on by the bigger cities. Of course when someone in STL looks at me funny when I say I live in Southeast MO, I of course say "Well, I just moved here a year ago....I'm from Virginia." LOL.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Now, just on a personal note, I think the sexiest accent in America emerges from the mouth of a pretty North Carolina gal. My wife won;t let me alone for a second in that state.

But West Virgina is a beautiful state, and not a bit poorer than most of the states my family comes from. We're Appalachian folk, and have been for 250 years.

There are many good people in West Virgina, and an ethic, both work and moral, that I find refreshing. It's a state I could live in with pefect contentment, except most of my wife's family is in South Carolina, and I have a hankering for the old sod.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shwebb said:

In no particular order (and I've never been to WV)....

I've read most of the books by Homer Hickam, so I think of the town of Coalwood, WV with affection.

I know that Charleston has a AA baseball team called the Alleycats. I have one of their sweat shirts.

I think of the John Denver song.

I think of the Civil War when WV broke away from Virginia.

I think of coal mines and mountains (probably the very first thing I think of). Unfortunately, I also think of poverty and hard times.

ac

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WVWriterGirl said:
I haven't had the opportunity to pick one up...yet. I have a string of books lined up to read, and Rocket Boys is on my list, just not purchased yet. BTW, my dad was childhood friends with Chuck Yeager...he spent many summers in Hamlin, in Lincoln County, as a child, and spent a lot of time with him.

If you're interested, you can order signed copies of any of Hickam's books from this bookstore in Huntsville, AL. You can also sign up at Hickam's website to receive a quarterly newsletter from Homer and his wife.

I tempted to suggest starting with The Coalwood Way if you've never read anything by Hickam before, even though Rocket Boys would be the first book in the series. Rocket Boys is an interesting story, but I think Hickam really found his voice with The Coalwood Way. Just a personal opinion.

ac

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Strange - my dad grew up not that far from WV (in Youngstown), but the only images I have of West Virginia are of pine-covered mountains and mining. The relative obscurity makes it appealing to me.

When the subject of hicks comes up, I think mostly of the people who do the name-calling. I spent parts of my youth in cities and in farm country, and I never really thought of city and country people themselves being that different. Perceptions are mostly (to me) based on an expectation that they will be different. Same goes for New Yorkers: tourists expect them to be nasty. But I only encountered one nasty New Yorker, and he was a bouncer, so he was just doing his job. (Plus, I was a snotty, drunken college student, so I'm sure I had it coming.)

So, um, where was I going? Even with WV next door, I've only ever been through it on the highway, so I know next to nothing about it. If I actually lived there, I'd probably be happy enough if most people were that way. Otherwise, they'd just spoil it!

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
Shwebb said:

Home.

Status
Not open for further replies.