PDA

View Full Version : The List of Writers

JennaGlatzer
09-30-2005, 05:10 AM
By popular request, here's the list of who's involved with Stories of Strength. If I left anyone out, please speak up!

Editors: MacAllister Stone; Janet Paszkowski; Julia Rosien; Amy Rea; Lisa Waterman Gray; Frank Baron; Denise DiFulco; B. J. Robinson, Ph.D; Sue Poremba; Gwen Moran; Jacqueline H. Kessler; and Jim Zola

Writers:

STRENGTH OF SPIRIT

Let No Hands Be Idle Here By Orson Scott Card and Mark Mitchell
The Shrine By Matthew James
The Organ Man By Janet Ross-Pilla
Trust in This Dark Night By Aviva Rifka Bhandari
The Wonderful Transformation of the Library Troll By Amy Mullis
The Smell of Lilacs By Catherine Lanser
Roses Will Bloom By Connie Schlosberg
Motherhood By Amey S Tippett
Willow By Kimberly Ripley
look beyond By Moira Richards
The Art of Forgiving By Sarah Crabtree
Mirror of Time and Uranus By David Lee Summers
My Mother’s Table By Noreen Braman
A Real, Super, Human By Jill Miller Zimon
What is Strength? By Debbie Burton-Peddle
Legacy: Thoughts on Courage and Inspiration By Patti Wigington
The Truths about Rains and Floods By Raymond K. Wong
Taking Back My Heart By Deborah Rose
I Was In My Rose Garden By Janet Paszkowski
Beachside Revelations By Shelly Wiseman Webb
Of Buildings and Babies By Linley B. Marcum
Just Believe By Kim Gogo-Melvin
The Beauty Within By Erin D. Zapletal
Finding Peace in Times of Chaos By Sheryl McCarty
Just Some Old Man? By Michele Ivy Davis
PHYSICAL STRENGTH

Just Keep Going By Wil Wheaton
A Father’s Consolation By B. J. Bourg
The Weld Maker By Jan P. Myskowski
Merry Christmas. Panama, 1989 By Mark Pettus
Gone Fishing By Diane Stilwell
The Hurdle Jumper By Christine Krannich
The Bracelet By Sarah Chauncey
The Prize is the Journey By Kesi Augustine
Running with the Wolf Pack By Roberta Beach Jacobson
Stop, Thief! By Charmian Christie
STRENGTH OF FAITH

One of Grandma’s Sweet Lessons By Barb Webb
The Plate By Frank Baron
Our Faces Are Not Our Own By Janet Ross-Pilla
Nanna By Mary Broadbent
Legless But “Undefeeted” By Claudia Ann Sodaro
Walking By Faith By Brett James Sigler
Aunt Carolyn’s Faith By Kimberly Gasuras-Lewis
When Life Gives You Grapefruit By Cindy Appel
God’s Solace By Suzan L. Wiener
A Belated Christmas Present By Jenna Glatzer
Prayer for Strength By Amy Brozio-Andrews
Add Prayer in Times of Crisis By Mary Emma Allen
A Walk in the Clouds By Julia Temlyn
A Different Kind of Marathon By Jean Marie Wiesen
ROLE MODELS OF STRENGTH

Peacekeeper’s Coffee By Doug Setter
The Ace I Got Dealt By C.J. Piperly
The 10 K Walk By Frank Baron
Little Niño By Allison Cooke
Perceiving the Possible By Ellen Lewis Lief
Larger Arenas By John Vanek
My Hero By Olinda Wheatley
My Quiet Relationship with Dad By Meryl K. Evans
The Plant By Ruth Cooke
Tom By Kim Ramsey
Where Have All the Heroes Gone? By Patti Wigington
Looking Up to a Shortstop By Chris Manning
STRENGTH OF COMMUNITY

What Really Matters By Julia Rosien
The Power of One By VL Marshall
Heart of the Mountain By Stephanie Cordray
Canberra’s Bushfire - January 2003 By Gillian Polack
Hope For A Safer Place By Shelagh Watkins
The Little Angel By Carolee Eubanks
Relief Effort Blossoms By Jamie Engle
Blizzards and Friends By Ken Schneider
BORROWING STRENGTH

Wet and Naked By Charmian Christie
Merlin By Yvonne Oots
What Remains By Audrey Glassman Vernick
Condemned and Redeemed By Janine Peterson
One Breath At A Time By Cynthia L. Kryder
STRENGTH OF LOVE

Sixteen Times By Kathy Powers
Best Step on the Rung By Kimberly Ripley
After Dakota By Jennifer Lawler
First Born By Kathryn Morrison
A Journey Home By Harry E. Gilleland, Jr.
Breastfeeding Boogie By Kelly Pollard
Love Isn’t Blind By Vanessa J. Kyles
It’s My Job, Sink or Swim By Kathryne Lee Tirrell
What There is Left… By Lisa Voiles
Rafael’s Gift By Esther Avila
The Strength of Words By Robert Villanueva
Adopting a New Tradition By Jeanie Kezo
There is Strength in All of Us By Catherine A. Harris
Comma Eyes By Sandra Coker
A Coat of Paint By Maggie B Dickinson
THE STRENGTH TO START OVER

Searching for Hope By Judith Alice
Hummingbird Summer By Anne Culbreath Watkins
...from the ashes By Christa Kolster
Living Strong By Sue Marquette Poremba
Forget Me Not By Rose Thomason
Addictions Conquered By Sharyn Bowman
Night and Fog Action By Heide AW Kaminski
Continuance By Michael Hawkins
Perseverance By Joanne D. Kiggins
Behind Closed Doors By Misti Sandefur
Pine Scrapbook By Robin Bayne
After Life By Carol Ann Lindsay
February’s Ashes By Kira Connally
STRENGTH IN FICTION

The Best Day By Orson Scott Card
The Huckleberry Patch By Robin Lee Hatcher
Atlas Slouched By Richard Cobbett
No Way, Ebay By Alyson Mead
The Sacrifice By Gabriele Campbell
The Boy with the Golden Hands By Sharon Maas
Waddling Free By Cynthia Balog
Miss Lilia By Sharon Cullars
The Old Man of Fundy By Adam Heskett
Who Wants a Hero? By Jenny Schwartz
The Light By Christine Norris
The Final Blessing By Carol Hightshoe
Breaking the Ice By C. Montgomery Stuart
Tornado Luck By Andrea Allison
Where the Shrewsbury meets the Atlantic By Sara Spock
My Big Brother Ben By Robert Rohloff
Redhill’s Ghosts By Robin Bridges
By my count, that's 119 pieces by 115 writers (4 writers have 2 stories in the book).

OneTeam OneDream
09-30-2005, 05:14 AM
:Clap: To all of us.

It is a pleasure to be included with all of you, and to be included on such a wonderful thing.

Vanessa
09-30-2005, 05:19 AM
U guys really have NAMES! WOW, who are these people? :)

Congrats everyone! A Standing Ovation is in Order!
Time for a Group Hug! :Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2: :Hug2:

awatkins
09-30-2005, 06:13 AM
Now to match all the real names up with user names...hmm.....

Thanks, Jenna! This is awesome. :)

rhymegirl
09-30-2005, 06:21 AM
I know who SOME of them are. And I am so honored to be part of this project and in such talented company.

maestrowork
09-30-2005, 06:25 AM
I'm proud and honored to be among such talented friends.

mommie4a
09-30-2005, 06:27 AM
It's a huge mitzvah (good deed!). :)

Cabinscribe
09-30-2005, 06:34 AM
Everyone deserves a lot of credit for putting this together so quickly!

:TheWave:

I can't wait to read it!

mdin
09-30-2005, 07:27 AM
Geez, I bet picking the order was no easy task.

There's some people in there I know, but I didn't know they had submitted. That's very cool.

Shwebb
09-30-2005, 07:35 AM

There's some people in there I know, but I didn't know they had submitted. That's very cool.

WAH!! I wanted to sit next to OSC!!!!:cry:

You guys better know I'm kidding about this . . . I really just feel honored and proud to be included. :)

Thanks, Jenna!

mdin
09-30-2005, 07:37 AM
That's an interesting avatar you got there, Shwebb.

OneTeam OneDream
09-30-2005, 07:37 AM

Yeah, mine is closing one of the chapters.....is that a good thing, or was it so bad that they hoped no one would get that far??.....just kidding!!

WVWriterGirl
09-30-2005, 08:08 AM
I'm Linley B. Marcum, and I wrote "Of Buildings and Babies", by way of introduction :)

By the way, <----that little booger (in my avatar) is the "babies" part of my essay, for anyone who's seen it *grin*

And if I haven't said how supremely honored I am to be a part of this, well...I am. Supremely.

Kim Gogo
09-30-2005, 08:24 AM
It is such an honour and a blessing to have my name on that list with you all.

I cannot wait to read you all. And perhaps, if I'm truly blessed, I will get to meet many of you and can then ask you to please, sign my copy.

kim

BJ Bourg
09-30-2005, 08:28 AM
It's an honor to be a part of this worthwhile project. Jenna, you're the GREATEST! You definitely know how to make things happen.

bjb

Lady of Prose
09-30-2005, 08:55 AM
You all are beyond awesome. Even though I did not contribute, it is an honor to share the boards with such a special group of authors.

Someone in my family was directly and severely affected by hurricane Rita, in Lake Charles.

For all the victim of the hurricanes that will benefit from your efforts, I thank you from my heart.

I wish you all the very best, and may your heart's desires be fulfilled.

JennaGlatzer
09-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Yeah, mine is closing one of the chapters.....is that a good thing, or was it so bad that they hoped no one would get that far??.....just kidding!!

LOL! I almost posted about my reasoning about the order, but decided against it because I figured I was likely to raise more writer-neurosis.

In short: You probably won't be able to crack my code. ;)

Think of it this way: When a musician decides a set list, he wants to make sure there aren't a bunch of ballads in a row, or his best songs one right after another.

I did the same sort of thing with the order-- which, by the way, isn't final, but is close. I tried not to stick two stories with the same type of subject matter next to one another, I tried to spread out the humorous pieces, tried to make sure we didn't have two poems in a row, etc. And I wanted to make sure the first and last pieces in each section were particularly strong.

So, Chris, to pump up your ego, yes, that means I think it's a strong piece. ;)

JennaGlatzer
09-30-2005, 09:50 AM
It's an honor to be a part of this worthwhile project. Jenna, you're the GREATEST! You definitely know how to make things happen.

bjb

Aww, thanks, BJ! It's an honor for me, too.

I just took what proved to be a more emotional step than I expected... I passed the manuscript on to the next copy editor (Lisa Abbate).

I know that sounds silly, but the thing is, I've been assembling and editing this manuscript all along, and I knew that the second I turned it over to the next editor, I couldn't touch it again until she was done. (Otherwise, we'll have two different versions and have to figure out where the changes are in both of them.) So it was a bit like submitting one of my book manuscripts-- no more tinkering until the editor gets back to me. That's always hard! I always want to keep rereading it, keep stroking its little belly, keep pruning a word here and a word there.

But it frees me up a bit to take care of the next steps.

I'm waiting to hear more from the national Red Cross people. I have a bunch of questions for the Lulu people. We have a graphic designer ready to roll, but are still slightly in limbo on the image permission. (It appears it will be granted, but I need to wait until tomorrow for a definitive answer.) I need to study the formatting requirements and the royalty structure so I can finalize the price and understand how much we get to donate on each book (which differs based on whether the book is sold directly through Lulu, through Amazon, or through a bookstore). I have a couple of proposals to read through and comment on. I have to test out Richard's work on the SOS site. Etc.

I'm still missing bios from just a few people, so I need to go through my files and double-check to make sure I didn't accidentally skip someone's e-mail-- but if you know you never sent a bio, please send me one. (If you sent a bio to Mac, me, or your editor, don't worry about it. I'll let you know if I'm missing it.)

Regarding the names you see above: Not all of them are active on the forums. Almost all are subscribers to the AW newsletter, but not all here. And a few are here, but they're using pseudonyms, so they're incognito! ;)

Thanks so much, ALL of you, for being such important parts of this project. I think we're gonna do a lot of good and have a lot of fun while we're at it!

aruna
09-30-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks so much for everything, Jenna! I am grateful to be a part of this wonderful project, and seeing the names there in black and white was very moving.

sthrnwriter
09-30-2005, 01:02 PM
I'm story is toward the end of the book. Saving one of the bests for last, huh? ;) Nah, really..I'm thrilled to be apart of this book. Even more honored that my story will appear next to Sara's. :) Thanks for the opportunity.

Alphabet
09-30-2005, 01:44 PM
It is going to be wonderful fun to try and work out from the bios who is who.
It is going to be a lot more than that, of course, but after all the rest has passed there will still be that jigsaw puzzle left to solve :banana:

CharmianChristie
09-30-2005, 03:42 PM
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post the list of writers, Jenna -- especially since you're swamped right now.

I'm thrilled to be part of this project. Can't wait to see the finished result.

Charmian

Christine N.
09-30-2005, 04:22 PM
That's cool! Hey, next year let's all get together, in NY, say, and have a big siging party! We can all sign each other's books :)

No? Ok, maybe not.

PattiTheWicked
09-30-2005, 04:28 PM
I am just thrilled to be a part of this whole thing. What an honor to be in such fine company as y'all!!

Richard
09-30-2005, 04:29 PM
That's cool! Hey, next year let's all get together, in NY, say, and have a big siging party! We can all sign each other's books

Not until my dollar arrives, dammnit!

aruna
09-30-2005, 04:56 PM
I've looked up and down the list a couple times, but I haven't seen "Stay Strong". Does it have a different name?

Kim Gogo
09-30-2005, 05:04 PM
I've looked up and down the list a couple times, but I haven't seen "Stay Strong". Does it have a different name?

The Shrine By Matthew James is in its well-earned place at the beginning, behind OSC's hymn.

kim

Shwebb
09-30-2005, 05:23 PM
The Shrine By Matthew James is in its well-earned place at the beginning, behind OSC's hymn.

kim

I swear, I can't even TALK about that essay without getting a tear in my eye. And I don't usually cry that easily, either. The book will be well worth the price just for "The Shrine" alone. (So everything else in there is gonna be a big, fat bonus!)

I love bargains.

rtilryarms
09-30-2005, 05:37 PM
In short: You probably won't be able to crack my code. ;)

Fool, do not underestimate the power of the rt!

aruna
09-30-2005, 06:05 PM

kim

Fantastic!

biotales
09-30-2005, 06:19 PM
I of course will remain incognito! ;).... Not because I do not trust any of you...
but it is because of my adoring fans the millions upon millions the world over...

:ROFL:

Ok, there is only one.... me.... but there are millions of me....
so ha...

Now that the foolishness is out of the way...
I am honored that Jenna and her editing staff found my story worth including into this book...
Thank you all...

biotales
09-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Fool, do not underestimate the power of the rt!

RT....
:Shrug: Well I see your ego is still in good working order....
:kiss:
biotales

rtilryarms
09-30-2005, 06:27 PM
RT....
:Shrug: Well I see your ego is still in good working order....
biotales

Good? Poppycock!
Do NOT underrate my strengths please.

biotales
09-30-2005, 06:34 PM
Good? Poppycock!
Do NOT underrate my strengths please.

HA.... I laugh at your strengths..... I mock your strengths....
I and I alone have the code....
I and I alone know of your weaknesses....
ahahahahhahahahahah

Christine N.
09-30-2005, 06:57 PM
*Snort* Richard. Actually I had a short story that was put out for the holidays last year. All the author copies were packed up (only about 16-20 in total) and sent with a list. Each person, as they got the box, signed each copy in the appropriate places, made sure their address was correct on the bubble mailer (all the mailers were in the box too) and sent it on to the next person on the list.

I got the box, I guess it was early January - it was before I broke my leg, so yeah, early January. I was third or fourth on the list.

It's what... nearly October? And I still don't have my copy. LOL. I checked up on it, and the box is still circulating. It still has to cross the Atlantic for one author's sig. Maybe I'll get it by this Christmas! But it will be cool to have all the sigs in it.

Moondancer
09-30-2005, 07:05 PM
Now that the foolishness is out of the way...
I am honored that Jenna and her editing staff found my story worth including into this book...
Thank you all...

Honored not only for the thought that what we have offered is worthy to be included but honored by the opportunity to give a a lasting tribute to people who epitomize the word strength.

ChunkyC
09-30-2005, 07:08 PM
Cripes, now I gotta add all you guys and gals to my Christmas card list....

I'm in there under my fiction pen-name C. Montgomery Stuart, which is actually all my real name, just tinkered with to be somewhat writerly -- I hope. *wipes sweat from brow as he realizes that in less than a month, that name will actually be out there in print for the first time*

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteJaw.gif Hold me, Frank!

Moondancer
09-30-2005, 07:22 PM

If you do that I'll have to send one. I hate signing all those cards and licking the envelope...yuck... at least the stamps don't have to be licked now...and I always forget at least 5 people... If I don't send any out, nobody can complain about being forgotten.

Gabriele
09-30-2005, 08:33 PM
LOL! I almost posted about my reasoning about the order, but decided against it because I figured I was likely to raise more writer-neurosis.

Och, putting me in the same group with Orson Scott Card and Robin Lee Hatcher won't give me a neurosis. :D

Ken Schneider
09-30-2005, 09:50 PM

Me too.

I too am honored for being included. And, with such a great group of humans.

I used my real name, which no one out there knows anyway. LOL.

Ken

Rose colored glasses
09-30-2005, 11:06 PM
We made a book, and it's going to help a lot of people.

It doesn't get much better than that.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Vanessa
09-30-2005, 11:45 PM

I'm in there under my fiction pen-name C. Montgomery Stuart, which is actually all my real name, just tinkered with to be somewhat writerly -- I hope. *wipes sweat from brow as he realizes that in less than a month, that name will actually be out there in print for the first time*

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteJaw.gif Hold me, Frank!

Me too! First time in real name. My family has always wanted me to use my real name. I've used a pen name, for poetry and short pubs, newsletters, etc. but nothing really as big as the concept of this project. And plus being in the same book with author greats like Jenna, Orson, Robin, and Wil, and then you guys; WOW I will always forever (deliberate) appreciate this GREAT OPPORTUNITY! And for a GREAT CAUSE Too! It gets no better than that.

ChunkyC
09-30-2005, 11:49 PM
GROUP HUG!!

http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/6.gif

biotales
09-30-2005, 11:56 PM
GROUP HUG!!

http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/6.gif

Mr. C....
You are to funny....
:LilLove:

rtilryarms
10-01-2005, 12:23 AM
Sorry Jenna but just cannot resist. I am just feeling mean and boolean today.

ok, ya zee, it's like this:

The Jenna bardotient function for integer p (p = position) is defined as the number of positive integers not greater than and coprime to p. A few first values: cosine (1)=1, cosine (2)=1, cosine (3)=2, cosine (4)=2, cosine (5)=4, cosine (6)=2, cosine (7)=6, cosine (8)=4, cosine (9)=6, cosine (10)=4, cosine (11)=10, cosine (12)=4, cosine (13)=12, etc., do not appear to follow any law. But there is a formula discovered by Jenna to which we shall turn shortly. In one special case the formula is really simple: for placement p2, cosine (p) = p -1. This is why the Jenna Theorem is indeed a generalization of the logical insertion point based solely on the modified random exactness of the location.

Hence, in my example I am # 97 following the proof is completely analogous to that of the Jenna’s Theorem except that instead of the set of non-negative remainders……

Oh…wait, I get it now! I follow Heide AW Kaminski whose initials break down to HAWK. My name, Hawkins, would logically follow hers. So mine was purely alphabetical?

Oh……

………never mind

Vanessa
10-01-2005, 12:45 AM
Sorry Jenna but just cannot resist. I am just feeling mean and boolean today.

ok, ya zee, it's like this:

The Jenna bardotient function for integer p (p = position) is defined as the number of positive integers not greater than and coprime to p. A few first values: cosine (1)=1, cosine (2)=1, cosine (3)=2, cosine (4)=2, cosine (5)=4, cosine (6)=2, cosine (7)=6, cosine (8)=4, cosine (9)=6, cosine (10)=4, cosine (11)=10, cosine (12)=4, cosine (13)=12, etc., do not appear to follow any law. But there is a formula discovered by Jenna to which we shall turn shortly. In one special case the formula is really simple: for placement p2, cosine (p) = p -1. This is why the Jenna Theorem is indeed a generalization of the logical insertion point based solely on the modified random exactness of the location.

Hence, in my example I am # 97 following the proof is completely analogous to that of the Jenna’s Theorem except that instead of the set of non-negative remainders……

Oh…wait, I get it now! I follow Heide AW Kaminski whose initials break down to HAWK. My name, Hawkins, would logically follow hers. So mine was purely alphabetical?

Oh……

………never mind

Huh?....Mike that went wayyyyyyyyyy over my head:)

ChunkyC
10-01-2005, 01:25 AM
Mr. C....
You are to funny....
:LilLove:
I couldn't find one with 115 smileys. http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/pi_bigsmile.gif

Yeshanu
10-01-2005, 02:14 AM
Mike:

:roll:

September skies
10-01-2005, 05:42 AM
Great job everyone. I'm so excited to be included. My list of buyers keeps growing. :) So when they ask us to autograph the book, do we turn to our page and sign it?

Just kidding. I guess I'll autograph in front and if they want me to, maybe add a (small) page number of where to find my story.

Here's to Jenna!
:Cheers:

BJ Bourg
10-01-2005, 06:24 AM
That's cool! Hey, next year let's all get together, in NY, say, and have a big siging party! We can all sign each other's books :)

No? Ok, maybe not.

I've never been to New York...a signing party sounds like a great reason to make a first-time trip!

bjb

BJ Bourg
10-01-2005, 06:28 AM
You all are beyond awesome. Even though I did not contribute, it is an honor to share the boards with such a special group of authors.

Someone in my family was directly and severely affected by hurricane Rita, in Lake Charles.

For all the victim of the hurricanes that will benefit from your efforts, I thank you from my heart.

I wish you all the very best, and may your heart's desires be fulfilled.

So sorry to hear about your family member. Good luck with everything.

bjb

rtilryarms
10-01-2005, 06:46 AM
I've never been to New York...a signing party sounds like a great reason to make a first-time trip!

bjb

I should be in Manhatten March or April

OneTeam OneDream
10-01-2005, 07:14 AM
LOL!

So, Chris, to pump up your ego, yes, that means I think it's a strong piece. ;)

The hell with the piece....she SPOKE TO ME!! That's enough for any man's ego!

Of Course, I'm kidding. I am flattered by the response to my piece too.

Sarita
10-01-2005, 07:17 AM
Even more honored that my story will appear next to Sara's. The honor is all mine, Andrea! I'm so proud to be a part of this. All y'all are just amazing! Thanks Jenna. :)

jdkiggins
10-01-2005, 07:26 AM
What a great list of writers! I'm honored to be a part of this with all of you.

(((HUGS))) to all!

Thanks Jenna!

Ken Schneider
10-01-2005, 08:15 AM
I should be in Manhatten March or April

That traffic is murder Mike.

JennaGlatzer
10-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Mike, you're a trip. ;)

A signing party in NY... yep, I think I could arrange that!

rtilryarms
10-01-2005, 11:41 AM
That traffic is murder Mike.

Traffic my eye (my good one).
By March I shall have ruled the world. There wont be no stinking trafic.

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

maestrowork
10-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Oooh, NY in spring... let's do it.

mommie4a
10-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Will be in NYC in April for sure :)

WVWriterGirl
10-01-2005, 04:34 PM
For whomever put it in, thank you for my B! *grin*

Ken Schneider
10-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Oooh, NY in spring... let's do it.

I could make that trip.
Ken

Vanessa
10-01-2005, 07:28 PM
I could make that trip.
Ken

Keep me posted. I can also make that trip, that is if I'm not already in the area by then. I've been to the Manhattan, NY City area many times.

BlueTexas
10-01-2005, 10:40 PM
I'm just in awe at how this has come together. Just plain wow.

rtilryarms
10-02-2005, 12:17 AM
Curious, how many submissions were there

and will there be room for a thank you page for those who missed the cut?

KimJo
10-02-2005, 12:58 AM
I'm thrilled and honored to be part of this, too. And I'm definitely up for a trip to New York :)

ChunkyC
10-02-2005, 01:01 AM
I believe there were over 300 submissions. Mac might be able to confirm that, if she can still see properly. What a job she did.

As for your other question ... dunno. The book is already larger than anticipated. Perhaps on the website? The response to Jenna's call for submissions was awesome both in size and speed. Everyone who submitted certainly deserves our thanks.

I just reviewed this thread and realized I forgot to say how much I too am honoured to be included in this anthology with all of you incredible people. My head is still spinning.

I think it's time for a group photo for the back cover....

http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage25/14.gif

(again I couldn't find one with 115 smileys)

Robin Bayne
10-02-2005, 03:06 AM
Wow, that was very quick editing and a nice-sounding group of essays! I'm honored to be included and want to thank Jenna and everyone for their hard work. I'm sure the proceeds from this project will make a difference!

(Inspiewriter= Robin Bayne) :hi:

JennaGlatzer
10-02-2005, 03:24 AM
Curious, how many submissions were there

Yes, I believe there were more than 300.

and will there be room for a thank you page for those who missed the cut?

No, but not just because of room-- I also don't want to embarrass anyone by pointing out that their work didn't make the cut. I am thanking everyone who submitted (as a group) in the acknowledgments, though.

In many (or even most) cases, the reasons for our decision not to include particular pieces had to do with things other than quality-- I'd say that the most common reason was that it just wasn't closely tied in enough to the theme, and the second was that there were already pieces in the anthology on the same topic or with the same message. Mac and I both hated turning things down... and I appreciate that everyone who wrote back afterward responded with grace and class, supporting our project anyway.

BTW: Mac rejected her own piece. :roll: That girl's tough, I tell you.

Jean Marie
10-02-2005, 03:38 AM
BTW: Mac rejected her own piece. :roll: That girl's tough, I tell you.

Wow, that's amazing!! Wish she hadn't.

I've emailed you and told you how I feel Jenna, but, you more than deserve a public thank you from me for all you've done. I too am honored to be part of such an awesome project. You've done something so mind boggling that I'm not sure we'll realize the impact for some time.

As an ex PA'er, you've validated me as a writer. I'm at a loss to express how that feels. The best I can do is to say that the part of my soul PA crushed now has a light burning once again. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for that priceless gift.

Jenny
10-02-2005, 10:54 AM
I'm honoured to be part of Stories of Strength and really, really impressed with everyone here's generosity. I'm going to claim the excuse that this note had to travel all the way from Australia for the delay in posting how pleased I am to have contributed something to helping the people of New Orleans. It's one of the hard things: finding something you can do when you're sad and overwhelmed by other people's hurt. Thanks, Janet, for wonderful editing. So, cheers everyone, before I descend into sappiness.

Jenny

PattiTheWicked
10-02-2005, 05:16 PM
I could make that trip.
Ken

I probably could too. Maybe all of us Ohio folks could travel together.

Savannah Blue
10-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Thank you, Mac, for liking my story enough to send it on to Jenna. Thank you, Jenna, for this whole project and for thinking my story worthy enough to be included. Thank you aka eraser (Frank) for working out the bugs and making it an even better story.

I'm honored and I'm humbled.

Sara

Ken Schneider
10-02-2005, 05:53 PM
I probably could too. Maybe all of us Ohio folks could travel together.

Yep, Patti, we could do that. I'm willing.

Another thing. P.M. me with your name. I can't introduce you as Pattithewicked,or could I. Hum?

Robin Bayne
10-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Y

NMac and I both hated turning things down... and I appreciate that everyone who wrote back afterward responded with grace and class, supporting our project anyway.

When I participated in an anthology to benefit 9/11 families, the pieces that weren't *quite right* for the book were supposed to be posted on the website. I don't think it ever actually was done, but it was a nice idea, because as Jenna mentioned many pieces weren't rejected due to quality but for "fit."

Alphabet
10-02-2005, 10:39 PM
When I participated in an anthology to benefit 9/11 families, the pieces that weren't *quite right* for the book were supposed to be posted on the website. I don't think it ever actually was done, but it was a nice idea, because as Jenna mentioned many pieces weren't rejected due to quality but for "fit."

I don't think pieces that don't fit the theme should be posted on the website because people may go there to see what might be in the book, and then might not buy the book thinking that the pieces on the website were intended to reflect the theme of the anthology!

As we knew so well, but are seeing played out for real now, writing is just one tiny part of what makes a book, and an even smaller part of what makes a book sell. Jenna, I wonder whether anyone whose work didn't get put into the book, but whose efforts help to publicise it could have a mention of thanks on the website?

Robin Bayne
10-03-2005, 03:33 AM
, I wonder whether anyone whose work didn't get put into the book, but whose efforts help to publicise it could have a mention of thanks on the website?

That would also be very nice. :)

JennaGlatzer
10-03-2005, 05:18 AM
Yes, definitely.

mrs75
10-03-2005, 09:17 AM
I too am honored to be a part of this anthology. Thank you Mac, Janet, and Jenna for accepting my piece, and for the wonderful comments. Janet, I especially thank you for making my piece shine a little brighter :Hug2:

aka eraser
10-03-2005, 05:59 PM
I've been traveling a bit and trying to set up a new computer so I'm chiming in late here.

Count me among the "pleased and honoured" to be associated with such a fine and talented group. I'm really looking forward to reading everybody's contribution.

Charlie, you're welcome to one of my patented (albeit belated) ultra-macho, non-girly-man hugs - wherein we do not actually touch. ;)

Kim Gogo
10-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Charlie, you're welcome to one of my patented (albeit belated) ultra-macho, non-girly-man hugs - wherein we do not actually touch. ;)

:ROFL:

kim

maestrowork
10-03-2005, 06:18 PM
You can all touch me (except Frank, and except on Sunday).

ChunkyC
10-03-2005, 09:39 PM
I am touched, Frank. However, some might consider that a medical diagnosis. http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/pi_bigsmile.gif

Oh, just wanted to let you all know we Canadians in the anthology are hard at work refining our marketing plan....

http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage36/3.gif http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage33/19.gifhttp://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage34/5.GIF http://bestsmileys.com/love1/23.gif

biotales
10-03-2005, 10:53 PM
I am touched, Frank. However, some might consider that a medical diagnosis. http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/pi_bigsmile.gif

Oh, just wanted to let you all know we Canadians in the anthology are hard at work refining our marketing plan....

http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage36/3.gif http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage33/19.gifhttp://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage34/5.GIF http://bestsmileys.com/love1/23.gif

:ROFL: Hey you should be here in Nashville.... it is party central... errrrr I mean.. planning central.....

Susie
10-07-2005, 03:10 AM
I'm so proud to be part of such a wonderful and worthwhile project with so many talented authors. Thanks so much, Jenna, etc. for doing this and letting me a part of it. Most appreciated. You all rock!