PDA

View Full Version : need help - xbox burned into LCD...

tiny
11-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Crud. Had a great day yesterday until I noticed the xbox had burned an image into the screen of our LCD.

I read displaying a white screen for a couple hours will get rid of it. Anyone else have advice? Know if this works?

thothguard51
11-25-2010, 07:33 PM
This is why I never leave anything on an LCD screen when not in use. Always turn the system off, or leave a show on that does not have a standing logo...

As to the white screen, I am not sure...

Good luck...

regdog
11-25-2010, 08:06 PM
This site (http://hd.engadget.com/2007/08/23/lcd-and--plasma-burn-in-advice/) gives lots of info, especially if you scroll down to where people respond. Good luck.

Caitlin Black
11-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Plasmas are better.

Maybe your XBox is telling you to buy a new TV? ;)

tiny
11-26-2010, 04:22 AM
Maybe I should inform the Xbox there isn't a new TV in the foreseeable future and regardless of it's feelings we'd choose an LCD again.

Seems to be fading and the Xbox is gone for the week.

Silver King
11-26-2010, 04:43 AM
...we'd choose an LCD again.
I would also. I have both types at home, and I'll never purchase another plasma television again. I've had nothing but problems with them, even the newer versions.

brainstorm77
11-26-2010, 04:52 AM
I would also. I have both types at home, and I'll never purchase another plasma television again. I've had nothing but problems with them, even the newer versions.

Yup. Many that I know will never buy another plasma.

Caitlin Black
11-26-2010, 05:49 AM
My techxpert friend swears black and blue that plasmas are better than LCDs. Personally, I've only ever used a plasma (mum bought one) - I've never owned a flat-screen TV myself, as I've never had the room for one. Damn this living with family thing!

*prays he gets a job soon after finishing the Retail course on Monday and can then save up to rent a 2-bedroom place on his own*

Silver King
11-26-2010, 06:28 AM
My techxpert friend swears black and blue that plasmas are better than LCDs...
They are, in the sense they offer superior picture quality over most LCD's. However, in my experience, plasma televisions don't last nearly as long before they develop costly problems. In fact, the last one I purchased is just under two years old (a Samsung), and already vertical lines have developed toward the bottom of the viewing screen. They look like dark lines you'd see on notebook paper, only unevenly spaced. It started with one line a few weeks ago, and now a half dozen or so have appeared and are creeping up to the main viewing area of the screen.

I paid $1200 for that television, and you can bet it won't be replaced with another plasma when I go shopping soon.

Cath
11-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Just bought ourselves an LED flat screen after looking at both plasma and LCD - slimmer, lighter, superior picture quality, and it uses less energy. Impressed so far.

Caitlin Black
11-26-2010, 07:37 AM
SK, I had that line problem with my laptop screen, which I'm pretty sure would've been LCD in nature.

JimmyB27
11-26-2010, 05:42 PM
My techxpert friend swears black and blue that plasmas are better than LCDs. Personally, I've only ever used a plasma (mum bought one) - I've never owned a flat-screen TV myself, as I've never had the room for one. Damn this living with family thing!

*prays he gets a job soon after finishing the Retail course on Monday and can then save up to rent a 2-bedroom place on his own*
Don't have the room? But...they're flat, they take up *less* room than a CRT.

tiny
11-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Don't have the room? But...they're flat, they take up *less* room than a CRT.

Maybe it's like us... Chris had to have a huge TV and the apartment we lived in before we bought a house was too narrow. We both developed Walleye Vision from sitting too close. :p

Caitlin Black
11-27-2010, 01:49 AM
To clarify - I live with mum and sister. Mum has junk all over every single room except mine and sister's bedrooms. There's no room in my bedroom for any TV of any kind unless I get rid of my computer, which I'm not going to do.

:)

Caitlin Black
11-27-2010, 01:52 AM
Further clarification - mum has a plasma in the living room, which is why I said I've used one of those.

I, however, remain TV-less as far as things I personally own go.