What would you do if you lost your word center?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
I have a severe memory disorder from a head injury 36 years ago -- it's getting progressively worse. I write slowly, with lots of notes and outlines. I'm working on a paranormal romance. I've given up the idea of changing the world with my prose! :)

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I have momentary lapses where I can't communicate via speech, writing or any other. Sometimes it is catatonic and sometimes it is just shutdown. Sometimes it is distressing, other times I just sit back and just wait for it to return. The latter is the better of the two solutions.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
I blogged on that article a couple weeks ago. No idea what I'd do--probably similar to Mr. Lubbock, I'd try to document it as it happened. But I couldn't think of a worse way to exit this world. I'd rather lose almost any other function of my body aside from that.

Such a sad story. Makes you appreciate what you have.

Reaction score
I had one scary moment a year or two back, post-migraine. The phone went, and I picked it up, knowing I was expected to say a word. But I couldn't for the life of me remember what that word was.

I stared at the thing in my hand - phone, yes, that's the word! - and willed my brain to come up with the thing I was supposed to say.

Then my dad said, "Hello? Hello? Are you there?"

"Hello!"

I must have shouted, because he asked if I was all right, and I said, "Hello, that's what I was trying to say."

First time it ever happened, that a migraine (or the shadow thereof) wiped something so simple from my brain, but it's a bloody scary thing for a writer, to lose words like that.

Occasionally I point at things and say to people, "Could you put the...thing...on? Oh, what's it called? Kettle!" or "Would you pass me my...oh, those things you put in a door...what are they called again? Keys!"

I know the feeling will pass and my memories will come back, but I dread to think how I'd cope if such a condition were permanent and terminal.

Maybe I wouldn't.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
In the middle of my worst cases of fibro fog I know what it is but the names escape. You'll frequently hear me say "I need to put these things on....these.... the things that go on my feet to walk outside with (shoes)" or "I'm flicking the remote but the.... the box where the shows and programming come on.... the movie box.... the TV!" I know things, but they are very slow in coming.

It also affects me at times when I don't understand questions. Those are the worse. Thankfully the fog doesn't last long and when I know I'm fixing to slide into one I pull out the post it notes and put the word processor on auto save :)

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
This indeed a very scary situation, and I can honestly say that I have no idea how I would react. Oliver Sacks has written a lot about how people cope with various unique neurological disabilities. If you are interested, I suggest you check out "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat." It's quite brilliant.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
I've read that, it was a fascinating read.

Actually I was more terrified when I thought that I was in the middle of very early stage Alzheimers. When I was diagnosed with fibro and they described what would happen and all, I realised it was just that. I was VERY relieved instead of more upset;)

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
I keep copious notes and outlines and such. When I get hit with a bad fibro day it's hard to remember what to do go to the bathroom.

I make myself write on those days too. It takes longer but it's cathartic and I can get into a zone.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Fibro is a special kind of something for writers isn't it?

Kaylee

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
My mom recently died of Alzheimer, which is hereditary. Sometimes, my brain just will not function. It drives me nuts. When it happens I stop and wait to see if it will come to me. I also pray it's my meds and not Alzheimer.

adarkfox

designs books | writes books
Registered
Reaction score
I had a few concussions in my younger days and have some memory issues from time to time... unable to find the correct word I want to use... and couldn't tell you why but I always have a hard time remembering people's names, and I can be having a conversation and just for a sentence or two what the other person is saying becomes jibberish in my head and I have no idea what they just said.

Jack Parker

Sleep is only caffeine deprivation.
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't think I would write anything. I really enjoy writing but, if that were happening to me, writing wouldn't matter anymore. I'd concentrate more on the things that mattered much more to me than writing - relationships.

I know it's all hypothetical and I didn't respond in the spirit in which the question was asked but that's my honest answer.

KathleenD

New kid, but no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathleendienne.com
I think that was totally in the spirit of what I was asking, Jack. Walking away before it's taken away is an option. Changing one's priorities is an option.

I don't know if I'd have the courage to document what was happening. It strikes me as trying to hold a wave onto the beach as the tide is going out.

Me... I'd be angry. The manipulation of words is the only thing I'm really good at. Everything else? The only startling thing is how militantly mediocre I am. To have my one thing taken away would be one cosmic joke too far.

As I was reading this I kept thinking of Flowers For Algernon.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Given how important language is to me--and I don't mean just natural language--I'm not sure I could cope well. The perpetual frustration would probably drive me into becoming an unpleasant person.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I think that loss of speech, and of understanding of speech, and of understanding of writing, and of coherent writing – these losses will amount to the loss of my mind. I know what this feels like and it has no insides, no internal echo. Mind means talking to oneself. There wouldn't be any secret mind surviving in me.

What a heartbreaking article. :(

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm torn on this one to be honest. Having watched last years documentary with Sir Terry Pratchett, who has Alzheimers, and he's still writing. The programme showed the difficulty he has with even the most basic of tasks now, and I really admire him for his commitment to getting what he has to say out there.

But honestly, much as I love writing, if it were me I would be spending more time on other things, and any writing i did would be of a deeply personal nature - letters etc.

Reaction score
If my time was running out, I would write more fiction. No letters or emails. Fiction is more truthful.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
What a horrifying thought. I'm quite sure that I would immediately go into denial and keep plugging away until every last coherent bit of word-smithing was gone.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'd spend all the time I could writing to people, not writing fiction. Though I admit that Isaac Asimov's answer to a somewhat similar question is also appealing. When asked what he would do if he learned he had only six months to live, he replied "I'd type faster."

But I still think I'd spend my time writing to all the people I've known, saying all the things I never said, and writing to people I wish I'd known personally or better.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... always loved those war flicks. Soldier gets shot up. Know they've got about 10 seconds if that to live. Reasonable thing to do would be to lie down and wait it out. But these are soldiers. So they continue carrying out their mission to their last dying breath: chucking a grenade at the enemy encampment or shouting encouragement to the troops, "Come on troops. Give 'em h*ll!" Good lesson here and not just for soldiers. If you ain't got that sort of toughness you'd be better off taking up crochet. Writing isn't a war, but in some ways pretty darned close.

Jack Parker

Sleep is only caffeine deprivation.
Registered
Reaction score
But I still think I'd spend my time writing to all the people I've known, saying all the things I never said, and writing to people I wish I'd known personally or better.
You know that phrase, "If I knew then what I know now..." James, this is that moment for you. You do know it now. If there are relationships you want to cultivate and words you want to express... now is the time, before there is a tragedy. So now the question becomes, what will you do with what you know now? Why put it off until tragedy comes and limits your time?

Status
Not open for further replies.