PDA

View Full Version : Vampires and Werewolves: Is there any good movie on them?

Bricona
11-24-2010, 03:56 AM
I don't know, I like the ideas behind werewolves. Crazy half man half beasts go crazy and then wake up. Vampires? Vampires just seemed weak. I think throughout time they added different supernatural attributes like super speed and super strength to make them seem more cool. However, vampires were just about sucking blood and maybe compelling people through hypnosis. If you look into vampire lore, it all started as a nursery story people would tell their teenage daughters to keep them away from going out at night and meeting strangers. The men who would pick them up would have sex with them. I just don't think that's that cool.

I honestly haven't seen a really great vampire or werewolf movie. Underworld looked great, except for Rise of the Lycans, which personally, I kind of had high hopes for. The dialogue, fight scenes, and storyline in Underworld Movies are pretty weak. No one can complain about Kate Beckinsale. The costumes for werewolves were still incredible though. Everyone's complaining about Twilight, all I can say is, at least they took a different approach to things. I remember watching parts of an American Werewolf in London, but not many parts because I was in elementary school. I never watched Anne Rice's interview with the vampire but I hear I should. I just haven't been in the mood to watch anything vampire recently.

I watched Daybreak. . . meh!

Rufus Coppertop
11-24-2010, 04:54 AM
Have you seen "Bram Stoker's Dracula", directed by Francis Ford Coppola back in the 90's?

It tries to stay true to the classic novel (sort of, a bit) whilst taking a few liberties. Personally, I think it's a magnificent film even with Keanu Reeves pretending to be an Englishman.

"Dog Soldiers" - a British werewolf film.
"Wolfman" - a recent remake of the classic from the forties.

Bricona
11-24-2010, 05:18 AM
Have you seen "Bram Stoker's Dracula", directed by Francis Ford Coppola back in the 90's?

It tries to stay true to the classic novel (sort of, a bit) whilst taking a few liberties. Personally, I think it's a magnificent film even with Keanu Reeves pretending to be an Englishman.

"Dog Soldiers" - a British werewolf film.
"Wolfman" - a recent remake of the classic from the forties.

I honestly didn't like the costumes of wolfman and it's Sherlock Holmes mystery plot underlying. It looked too much like teen wolf. He had a puppy nose for goodness sake.

What's the vampire movie? Is it a kill them all, holy water, and garlic movie?

kelzey2
11-24-2010, 06:44 AM
"Perfect Creature"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403407/

Wolvel
11-24-2010, 07:27 AM
The Howling is a good start for werewolves.

And I second the Bram Stoker's Dracula from the 90's, close enough to the book.

Wolvel
11-24-2010, 07:28 AM
The Wolfman remake had the more human wolf face to pay homage to the original designs.

lvae
11-24-2010, 07:34 AM
Interview with a Vampire is probably the best one I've seen. You really should watch it.

PEBKAC
11-24-2010, 07:44 AM
The Howling, Wolfen, and American Werewolf in London are about as good as it gets for Werewolf movies.

I haven't seen it, but I heard that "Let the Right One In" is great (remade as "Let Me In" here in the US released earlier this year).
Cronos was interesting (definitely not your Grandpa's vampire movie).
"From Dusk Till Dawn" and "Lost Boys" were fun.

ChaosTitan
11-24-2010, 08:29 AM
Since this is about movies, rather than writing, I'm sending it to TV & Movies.

DavidZahir
11-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Ginger Snaps is an excellent werewolf flick, as is its sequel and prequel.

As far as vampire flicks, I highly recommend Let Me In as well as several that have been mentioned already, along with Lets Scare Jessica To Death.

Wolf starring Jack Nicholson is good also.

amyashley
11-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire In Brooklyn (Total Freaking CLASSIC!)
Ultraviolet---I was undecided on this, but the fight scenes rocked
I am Legend
Van Helsing (I liked this, but it was kind of hum, costumes were awesome)
From Dusk Til Dawn (YES!!!)
Underworld Trilogy- Watch the extras-the special effects were amazing.

Werewolf
Ladyhawke-interesting but odd
Van Helsing and Underworld both have werewolves
The Brothers Grimm-this movie was kind of freaky, but I am not a horror movie gal. it had very spooky scenes!
The Wolfman-My husband says this was good, but I didn't have a chance to see it.

Most movies take a pretty standard route. If you want cool vamps, I Am Legend Vamps are good. The best werewolves I liked were in a foreing film with Liam Neeson. GAR I cannot find it anywhere. It DID have werewolves. What was the Vampire one that Had, um, Gerard Butler in it? I can't think? That was a fun one.

childeroland
11-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Vampires:
Nosferatu
Coppola's Dracula
Les Vampires
Let the Right One In
Let Me In
Dracula (1931)
Near Dark

Werewolves:
Ginger Snaps
The Wolf Man (1941)
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors
The Howling
Wolf (1994)
Cat People (1942--not really a werewolf film, but the main character is a kind of were-cat)

ceenindee
11-24-2010, 09:38 AM
For vampires, Let the Right One In was amazing. I also got a weird kind of kick out of Van Helsing's unashamed campiness--vampires, werewolves, AND Frankenstein's monster. Can't really go wrong. ;)

For pure werewolf movies, all I can say is to give Blood and Chocolate a pass. It's not loyal to the book, and the wolves come off way too wimpy.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
11-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Hmm... No one mentioned The Company of Wolves. Still one of my favorite movies--werewolf or otherwise--and definitely my second favorite movie featuring Angela Lansbury. Perhaps I am dating myself...

AL (as Granny): Oh, they're nice as pie until they've had their way with you. But once the bloom is gone... oh, the beast comes out.

seun
11-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Just off the top of my head: the first few Hammer Dracula films, Let The Right One In, Dog Soldiers, The Howling, Wolfen, American Werewolf in London, The Wolf Man (original, not the shitty remake), and Martin.

JimmyB27
11-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Nightwatch and Daywatch are Russian films that give a very different spin on vampires. Both very good, and the books are excellent too.

Satori1977
11-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Surprised that no one has mentioned the Blade Trilogy or 30 Days of Night for vamp movies.

ether
11-24-2010, 07:17 PM
30 Days of Night
Dog Soldiers
Let the Right One In / Let Me In
Interview with a Vampire

I'll admit... I have a soft-spot for An American Werewolf in Paris. It's one of those movies I know is bad (and I hate the werewolf designs) but for some reason I enjoy it.

And I agree about staying away from Blood and Chocolate. Book was pretty good. The movie was terrible.

veinglory
11-24-2010, 07:20 PM
I liked the Jack Nicholson one, was it called "Wolf"?

seun
11-24-2010, 07:48 PM
I liked the Jack Nicholson one, was it called "Wolf"?

Yep. A good one.

Jcomp
11-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Let the Right One In / Let Me In . Stellar stuff there.

I can't really think of a Werewolf movie I've liked enough to recommend, though.

brainstorm77
11-24-2010, 08:06 PM
I think it depends on what you define as being good.

Manuel Royal
11-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Captain Kronos -- Vampire Hunter

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

In most of the folklore, vampires are pathetic, mindless life-sucking ghosts, usually preying on their immediate families. Compulsive counters of beans. 19th century writers romanticized them, made them real characters, and then a few decades ago, they evolved further, until now in some forms they're practically superheroes with very few downsides.

Cyia
11-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Hops on ---> :Soapbox: (No, I'm not angry, but it's the only soapbox simile we have.)

Vampire stories started out as plague tales, not nursery tales, and they're different depending on the culture you find them in.

European vampires were mainly of the rodent-like Nosferatu (which were the ones spread like the plague) up until the last two centuries.

There are Asian vampires that are more spirit drinkers that are covered in green fur.

There's an African variety that's the result of a person who practiced witchcraft in life not finding rest after.

Then, come the Dark Ages, the Catholic church jumped onto the folklore wagon (there was actually a Treatise against them sanctioned), declared vampiric traits to be demonic possession, and started the whole stakes, holy water, crucifixes and defacing the dead parts of the stories. Those cases were actually extreme instances of rabies, also spread like the plague during that time. The victims became incoherent, shrieking, shaking, and acted out when water was tossed on them (hydrophobia). They were light-sensitive, and animalistic thanks to the virus, and in some cases, their libido actually kicked into overdrive.

The "romantic" vampire started with a dig at Lord Byron, by his doctor, who didn't like his life-style or his womanizing. He wrote a short story (Lord Ruthvyn) that was basically Byron as a blood sucker/defiler of innocent women unable to refuse his advances, and then others like Varney, Carmilla, and finally Dracula cropped up afterward.

Thanks to Hollywood, the "bursting into dust/flame" at sunlight became a staple that was never part of the actual lore.

:Soapbox: <--- hops off

Underworld is good.
Wolf is good.

If you like campy, Kindred was okay. Forever Knight was over the top on the camp, but fun. (These are both series, as is Wolf Lake, which was a were-show I liked as a kid.)

Ladyhawke is not a werewolf tale, it's more complex than that, but yes, a good movie.

Avoid Blood and Chocolate.
Avoid Interview with the Vampire.
Avoid UltraViolet (the movie, I've heard the series on netflix was good.)
BURN Van Helsing if you are unfortunate enough to be subjected to its awfulness.

Manuel Royal
11-24-2010, 09:06 PM

It tries to stay true to the classic novel (sort of, a bit) whilst taking a few liberties. Personally, I think it's a magnificent film even with Keanu Reeves pretending to be an Englishman.Well, it's the only filmed version I know of that includes all the characters; and it does a good job of reflecting the novel's epistolary structure. I despise Coppola as a person, but he does know how to put stuff on film.

Soccer Mom
11-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Dog Soldiers. Best werewolf flick ever.

PattiTheWicked
11-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Van Helsing is one of only two movies I've ever walked out of and demanded my money back. Even Hugh Jackman in a leather trenchcoat could not save it.

On the flip side, I loved Bram Stoker's Dracula starring Gary Oldman, Interview with the Vampire, and Let the Right One In.

For cool factor, I always fall back on The Lost Boys. Kiefer Sutherland is one of the best teen vampires ever.

Manuel Royal
11-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks to Hollywood, the "bursting into dust/flame" at sunlight became a staple that was never part of the actual lore.Right; as far as I know the cinematic origin of that was in the silent German movie Nosferatu in 1922. (A total rip-off of Dracula, with the names changed.) Upon being exposed to the morning sun, the vampire fades away in a dissolve.

Which reminds me -- the little-seen 2000 Shadow of the Vampire is worth checking out. It's about the 1922 filming of Nosferatu, with the premise that the mysterious star of the movie, Max Schreck, was truly a vampire, and that the obsessional director, Friedrich Murnau, was willing to let his temperamental vampire actor kill a few members of the crew during production. Willem Dafoe plays Schreck; it's worth watching just for that.

SirOtter
11-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Captain Kronos -- Vampire Hunter

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

About time somebody mentioned an actually good movie, even if Caroline Munro couldn't act her way out of a pay toilet. But good Gawd was she easy on the eyes!

SirOtter
11-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Right; as far as I know the cinematic origin of that was in the silent German movie Nosferatu in 1922. (A total rip-off of Dracula, with the names changed.) Upon being exposed to the morning sun, the vampire fades away in a dissolve.

It's better than having them sparkle. :

Which reminds me -- the little-seen 2000 Shadow of the Vampire is worth checking out. It's about the 1922 filming of Nosferatu, with the premise that the mysterious star of the movie, Max Schreck, was truly a vampire, and that the obsessional director, Friedrich Murnau, was willing to let his temperamental vampire actor kill a few members of the crew during production. Willem Dafoe plays Schreck; it's worth watching just for that.

Yes, that's a goodun.

defcon6000
11-24-2010, 11:02 PM

I love this film, definitely one of the best, starring Gary Oldman who's SO good as Dracula...of course he's good at acting just about anything.

Interview with a Vampire also good.

I'll bring up In the Company of Wolves a second time (in case it gets overlooked). I just saw this after all the talk in the other thread about the new red ridding hood movie. It has a Gothic feel, more of a coming of age story than your typical werewolf movie but really good if you like movies that make you think.

seun
11-25-2010, 02:07 PM

I love you.

Bricona
11-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Yep. A good one.

nope, thought it was stupid. When they fight he frick'n jumps hella high in the air in slow motion. It's not the coolest fight scene.

defcon6000
11-25-2010, 10:13 PM
nope, thought it was stupid. When they fight he frick'n jumps hella high in the air in slow motion. It's not the coolest fight scene.
Movie producers seem to think it's really cool. Sadly, they have yet to realize it only worked for The Matrix.

CheG
11-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Vampires
Lost Boys
The entire Sub Species trilogy plus Vampire Journals- believe it or not these movies are genious and Radu the main vampire has a hilarious and morbid sense of humor. Plus they are gross vampire movies NOT romantic but more than just slaughter.
Razorblade Smile
Fright Night 1 and 2
30 Days of Night
Not exactly vampires but Ravenous is amazing.

Werewolves. I dunno. I watch a less werewolves.
Gingersnaps
An Americam Werewolf in London and I liked the sequel too- An American Werewolf in Paris

I sort of never made it through Dog Soldiers but it looked good if you like that sort of thing.

I will say I think Underworld was silly and overated and made no sense. The plotting was... absent that day. It looked good, but that is all.

amyashley
11-25-2010, 11:12 PM
All the hate for Van Helsing, but when you mute it, it still looks so pretty.

Finally remembered the one I was forgetting

Brotherhood of the Wolf

Manuel Royal
11-26-2010, 01:31 AM
Not exactly vampires but Ravenous is amazing.Good to know I'm not the only one who likes that movie.

There's also Werner Herzog's 1979 remake of Nosferatu, starring Klaus Kinski. Haven't seen it, but what the Hell, it's a Herzog movie with freakin' Klaus Kinski playing a freakin' bald bat-eared vampire, so I put it atop my Netflix queue.

Manuel Royal
11-26-2010, 01:33 AM
All the hate for Van Helsing, but when you mute it, it still looks so pretty.It baffles me why that movie isn't better. It was a Universal picture, with license to use the classic Universal versions of famous monsters; given that, and Hugh Jackman, and a decent budget, how come it wasn't fun? All they needed was a good script. (And the understanding that extended actions sequences are purely tedious if the viewer isn't emotionally involved.)

amyashley
11-26-2010, 01:47 AM
That and Kate Beckinsale too! There was plenty of eye candy in it, but no plot, and the action lacked. It did have some appeal. I would die for the wardrobe alone.

You know many of these movies are not "perfect" but there are things that stand out about them. For instance, I was amazed at what they did in Underworld without the use of computers for special effects.

And nobody has mentioned Teenwolf. I think I loved that movie just for the van surfing scene. Lame makeup, no blood and gore, but so fun.

defcon6000
11-26-2010, 01:48 AM
It baffles me why that movie isn't better. It was a Universal picture, with license to use the classic Universal versions of famous monsters; given that, and Hugh Jackman, and a decent budget, how come it wasn't fun? All they needed was a good script. (And the understanding that extended actions sequences are purely tedious if the viewer isn't emotionally involved.)
Bingo. All the pretty effects in the world can't buy you a decent movie if it lacks soul (aka storytelling).

SirOtter
11-26-2010, 02:57 AM
There's also Werner Herzog's 1979 remake of Nosferatu, starring Klaus Kinski. Haven't seen it, but what the Hell, it's a Herzog movie with freakin' Klaus Kinski playing a freakin' bald bat-eared vampire, so I put it atop my Netflix queue.

It has its points, but the original is sooooo much better.

Cyia
11-26-2010, 03:52 AM
It baffles me why that movie isn't better. It was a Universal picture, with license to use the classic Universal versions of famous monsters; given that, and Hugh Jackman, and a decent budget, how come it wasn't fun? All they needed was a good script. (And the understanding that extended actions sequences are purely tedious if the viewer isn't emotionally involved.)

There was something about the Frankenstein's monster in that film that I wanted to love, but just couldn't. And if they'd only fleshed out the backstory (centered around the ring) that they hinted at, they might have been able to make something workable.

But yeah, the script was a rotten egg.

ceenindee
11-26-2010, 05:09 AM
All the hate for Van Helsing, but when you mute it, it still looks so pretty.

I found it amusing enough. I liked how it didn't take itself too seriously. But then, I also like things like The Day After Tomorrow for the same reason, so maybe my judgment is skewed. :)

Bmwhtly
11-26-2010, 01:05 PM
more of a coming of age story than your typical werewolf movie.That sounds like Ginger Snaps.

LOG
11-26-2010, 01:18 PM
For Werewolves:
http://www.werewolf-movies.com/database.php

I love the closet scene in particular myself :)

robeiae
11-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

Lock thread.

Manuel Royal
11-26-2010, 05:11 PM
No love for Fright Night?

SirOtter
11-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

Lock thread.

Agreed.

Cyia
11-27-2010, 12:00 AM
No love for Fright Night?

I'd actually forgotten that one, but you can't go wrong with Roddy McDowall.

third person
11-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Full Eclipse: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106980/ Campy werewolf movie for the win!

Near Dark: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093605/ not crosses, holy water and garlic but very very violent and awesome