SOS-HELP!!!!!! with interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm freaking out here. The state newspaper wants to interview ME about the Stories of Strength book and I am freaking out. I have never done an interview. They are bringing a photographer. What do I do? What do I say? What do I wear?

10_3_1v.gif

Last edited:

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
I think you might need to put this in the "Media contacts" or some other thread in the SOS forum so folks will be sure to see it.

E-mail Chunky I would think (re: giving space while Jenna completes a number of other tasks). I was kind of wondering the same thing because our Red Cross folks are hot to trot and I was thinking, eek, I'm not sure I should be contacted yet!

I'll give a shout out to Chunky in the questions forum too - directing him over here.

GOOD LUCK! And way to go!

Ella

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sumptuosity.blogspot.com
Hey, congratulations!

Wear whatever you are comfortable in, and is presentable. You don't need to be strangled in uncomfortable or stuffy clothes.

The journalist/interviewer should come prepapered with questions, or at least a slant on their story. Talk to this person as you talk to a friend. If you are excited about your subject, let that show and don't be afraid to be excited. What comes from your heart will come naturally and sound better than contrived answers.

You should be asked what your next project is. If not, be sure to mention it.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
scfirenice said:
Okay, I'm freaking out here. The state newspaper wants to interview ME about the Stories of Strength book and I am freaking out. I have never done an interview. They are bringing a photographer. What do I do? What do I say? What do I wear?

10_3_1v.gif

Good for you! Congrats! That means you've got the ball rolling! All of this just gets you ready for the next big thing you've got lined up! Congrats Again.
Just be natural and as the last poster says, speak to them as if they're your friend. You'll do fine!:)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wowzer, scfirenice! That's great!

Good advice above. Wear something you think you look nice in and that makes you feel relaxed, just not in sweats or Daisy Duke jean shorts (just kidding!!)

Officially, the big thing Jenna doesn't want folks to do is send out the draft press release, or commit in any way to a release date at this point. However, you can say something like "we're hoping to have Stories of Strength available for purchase by the middle of October."

Jot down some notes -- 'talking points' you'd like to cover during the interview. You can cull some from the draft of the press release. Stuff like:
  • Jenna, and why she started the project
  • what the project is all about
  • 100% of the profits to the Red Cross disaster relief fund
  • Lulu's contribution of their profits
  • well known contributors and their accomplishments -- example: Hugo and Nebula award winner Orson Scott Card (their websites will have book titles and list awards they've won if you feel like going that far)
  • the absolute write community - mention how 'over one hundred writers have donated their talents'
  • your involvement, how proud you are to be a part of this, etc.
Always try to refer to the anthology by name as opposed to saying "the book" or "the anthology", we want the title "Stories of Strength" in people's minds.

Go get 'em!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
How cool! When is this? (Try to stall them for a bit so you can give ordering info!)

I'll send you the manuscript so you can feel more comfy talking about it.

I finished the first round of copyediting last night. :banana: It's in good shape. Needs a second copyedit, formatting, and proofreading.

We have a pro cover designer on board.

The national Red Cross wrote me back, but no details yet.

In short, we're moving along really well.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
I finished the first round of copyediting last night. :banana: It's in good shape. Needs a second copyedit, formatting, and proofreading.

We have a pro cover designer on board.

The national Red Cross wrote me back, but no details yet.

In short, we're moving along really well.

Great News Jenna!:)

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
ChunkyC said:
Wowzer, scfirenice! That's great!

Good advice above. Wear something you think you look nice in and that makes you feel relaxed, just not in sweats or Daisy Duke jean shorts (just kidding!!)

Officially, the big thing Jenna doesn't want folks to do is send out the draft press release, or commit in any way to a release date at this point. However, you can say something like "we're hoping to have Stories of Strength available for purchase by the middle of October."

Jot down some notes -- 'talking points' you'd like to cover during the interview. You can cull some from the draft of the press release. Stuff like:
  • Jenna, and why she started the project
  • what the project is all about
  • 100% of the profits to the Red Cross disaster relief fund
  • Lulu's contribution of their profits
  • well known contributors and their accomplishments -- example: Hugo and Nebula award winner Orson Scott Card (their websites will have book titles and list awards they've won if you feel like going that far)
  • the absolute write community - mention how 'over one hundred writers have donated their talents'
  • your involvement, how proud you are to be a part of this, etc.
Always try to refer to the anthology by name as opposed to saying "the book" or "the anthology", we want the title "Stories of Strength" in people's minds.

Go get 'em!

Yep, we covered all this on the phone. Which is why I'm wondering what they are needing to talk with me MORE about. O well. Yikes. They want to do the interview on 10-10, they visited the website and want the article ready to coincide with the books release. Ahhhhh. I still don't know what to wear.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Many newspaper interviews are done over the phone, so you may not have to worry about what to wear (or not to wear).

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Many newspaper interviews are done over the phone, so you may not have to worry about what to wear (or not to wear).

We did the phone thing. They want to do a personal interview. With a photographer. AHhhh.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
I've got the same situation with two radio stations here........at least I don't have to worry about what to wear...

Luckily my work schedule isn't allowing me to set up anything with them until next week. By then we should know more

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
scfirenice said:
They want to do the interview on 10-10, they visited the website and want the article ready to coincide with the books release.
That's perfect, then, (especially since 10/10 is my birthday, more karma!!) You can do the interview and pass along the release date and ordering info as soon as they're finalized if we don't already have it by the tenth. We should all try to get whomever wants to interview us to wait for the release date before running the interview.
scfirenice said:
Yep, we covered all this on the phone. Which is why I'm wondering what they are needing to talk with me MORE
Maybe they just want to get to know you a little better, build up a profile of a local author. This is way cool.
scfirenice said:
Ahhhhh. I still don't know what to wear.
I'm out of ideas there. I wouldn't worry too much, they're gonna love you!

Status
Not open for further replies.