The Secret of Kells

perfectisafault

Registered
Reaction score
I really liked it. The animation was 2d, yet something new and fresh (imo of course). And the music in the film was amazing.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
The plot is a bit lacklusting, but the animation is one of the most impressive ones I have seen in a while.

Deleted member 42

It's charming, meant for children, both accurate and, well, completely ahistorical, all at once.

It helps if you know what The Book of Kells is.

And the artistry is quite lovely.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
It's charming, meant for children, both accurate and, well, completely ahistorical, all at once.

Though I have to admit they earned an 'aw' point with me for naming the cat Pangur Ban. Medieval poetry references for the win! On the other hand, they also earn some points in the evil column for what may be the first soundtrack earworm I've ever encountered in Gaelic. I know only a handful of words in the language, but the song just STICKS IN YOUR HEAD.

For those who haven't heard the evil song in question, or seen what the movie's animation style looks like, I give you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFhd8RfCqVg (That's on the YouTube channel of the studio that made the film, so you can find other examples of the animation style on their channel.)

Pangur Ban Pangur Ban,
Nil sa saol seo ach ceo,
Is ni bheimid beo,
ach seal beag gearr...

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
So it's a reference to something in the real world?

Yes! Very much Yes.

This movie is every bit worth your time. It's just fantastic.

The name Book of Kells is derived from the Abbey of Kells in Kells, County Meath, which was its home for much of the medieval period. The date and place of production of the manuscript have been the subject of considerable debate. Traditionally, the book was thought to have been created in the time of Columba, possibly even as the work of his own hands. This tradition has long been discredited on paleographic and stylistic grounds: most evidence points to a composition date ca. 800, long after St. Columba's death in 597. The proposed dating in the 9th century coincides with Viking raids on Iona, which began in 794 and eventually dispersed the monks and their holy relics into Ireland and Scotland. There is another tradition, with some traction among Irish scholars, that suggests the manuscript was created for the 200th anniversary of the saint's death.

Deleted member 42

The Book of Kells is a Gospel text; that is, it consists of the New Testament books of Mathew, Mark, Luke and John, with some special tools, like a table that cross references passages in the books.

It's written in an Uncial hand; the kind of script most people think of as "Irish" or "Celtic"; it's very very bad Latin, with lots of errors, but it's beautifully done art work.

Text and image are not distinct; the text is and becomes an image.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like The Boy would love the animation style, but we're doing Norse Yule this year (a Very Viking Christmas) and it appears that the Vikings are the bad guys? Are they really bad, or redeemed at all? Can anyone confirm for me? (if it's a spoiler you don't want to post, please PM).

Deleted member 42

It looks like The Boy would love the animation style, but we're doing Norse Yule this year (a Very Viking Christmas) and it appears that the Vikings are the bad guys? Are they really bad, or redeemed at all? Can anyone confirm for me? (if it's a spoiler you don't want to post, please PM).

They are really bad; artistically, they are violent, hooded, dark figures. Some kids, at some ages, would find them nightmarish. They are treated as brutes (and they were brutish in the historical context of the raids).

Here's the official site for the film.

Kells the monastary was raided, devastatingly; we have two first hand reports.

The Book of Kells is believed to have been at least partially created there, and transported elsewhere, eventually ending up in hidden "under a sod."

I don't want to drone on about this but this is one of my areas of specialty. I can post links to pictures, and explain what/why if people want.

The Book of Kells, and its sister mss. are one reason I object to this part of the middle ages being called "the dark ages."

Last edited by a moderator:

pernickety

Registered
Reaction score

In the film yeah they're bad. REality too I suppose, they plundered and raped.

However (big aside here), if you ever go to Dublin, it's worth taking the Viking Splash Tour. An open-topped bus tour that also plunges into the grand canal as a boat (boats from WWII); We did it this summer. You learn to roar like a viking and scare all the passers-by (celts, no less!). Great fun!
http://www.vikingsplash.ie/

We also visited the book of Kells in Trinity, beautiful.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
LOL - just picked this up over the weekend but haven't watched it yet. (Been on a bit of a Sanctuary kick.)