PDA

View Full Version : American Top Gear

plaidearthworm
11-23-2010, 07:43 AM
I watched the first episode of this last night, and wasn't too keen on it. Maybe it's because I've watched the British version for a couple of years now, but the American version doesn't have that same humor. Adam Ferrara is a funny guy, but he doesn't have Jeremy Clarkson's sarcastic absurdity. Did anyone else see it?

Perks
11-23-2010, 06:04 PM
I didn't see it, but I love 'Top Gear' (the real one) so much that I don't think I could stand it.

jvc
11-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Have to agree with Perks here, I love the original Top Gear too much to watch another version. It wouldn't seem right. Like I was cheating on it. Can't do it. Sorry.

whacko
11-24-2010, 12:34 AM
There's a German Top Gear too, which lead to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5xd97HeY70

jvc
11-24-2010, 01:00 AM
I've seen the episodes that guest star the German Top Gear team. They were pretty good. Although I couldn't watch German Top Gear. Probably because I don't speak German :D

ChronicSelfEditor
11-24-2010, 02:01 AM
In total agreement with Perks and jvc.

Why on earth would that show appear on the History Channel anyway?

mirandashell
11-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Emmmm ... don't chop me off at the knees for this.... but does American TV do sarcastic absurdity? I can understand why the American viewers get the original TG but it is a very British humour so ..... Could the TV companies do it?

I'm only asking because we get a lot of American TV here but nothing like TG.

Zefiris
11-28-2010, 02:57 AM
I've been meaning to check the American version out.

Can't see me been a fan though, part of what I enjoy about TG is that May, Clarkson and Hammond are pretty good mates so you've got all the funnt banter and piss-taking in challenges and stuff.

It's something I can't see there been in the American TG is they've got hosts who aren't mates or at least familiar with each other.