PDA

View Full Version : Need Beta/Editor NOW

Flamefire123
11-23-2010, 02:24 AM
So despite my best efforts of using friends and people I actually know, I have a deadline fast approaching and a manuscript riddled with my awful grammar.

So this is what I need: A beta/editor with excellent grammar and the time to edit my novel (a rather heft piece at 117k) quickly. I need to get it to the RAW offices by December 5th, so I need this edited now.

You won't be editing the entire thing, hopefully my friend managed to edit more than I have now (which is just the first two chapters), but last I talked to them they only had up to chapter 7 (of 40) edited.

I know this is a lot of work with little time but I'm desperate. Thank you for your time.

thothguard51
11-23-2010, 02:36 AM
Please take no offense, but doesn't RAW provide you with an editor?

A professional editor is going to cost you 3-5 cents a word, but yet, you want someone to do it for free and a deadline to boot??? Does this make sense?

Also, please be aware that professional editing is about more than spelling, grammar, and punctuation checking. There is a whole lot more and then there is the proofing once the book goes to the galleys.

Family and friends are never a good professional choice unless they are in the business and can be objective.

YOUR Publisher should be working with you on this... not strangers in a writing group that may or maynot know what they are doing...

Flamefire123
11-23-2010, 03:12 AM
I'm not expecting a professional editor. I'm entering a contest and wish to turn in a better grammar job than Microsoft word. I'm bad at spotting grammar mistakes which is why I need a help. I know if/when I get published I'll get a serious edit but I'm trying to turn in the best my manuscript is now.

thothguard51
11-23-2010, 03:28 AM
Good luck... Seriously...

I couldn't edit my own 100,000 word manuscript in less than a month and that is if I had nothing else pressing in my life...

Calla Lily
11-23-2010, 03:41 AM
flamefire, you're asking the highly improbable. I'm a professional copyeditor with 26 years' experience. Assuming the standard of 250 words/page, that's 468 pages. I charge between $6.50 and $8.50 per page, depending on the level of work needed (I always provide a 5-page sample for free, so see if my style meshes with the writer's, and to judge how much work is needed.)

That's a total of between $3,042.00 and $3978.00. Assuming I could get through 30 pages a day, that's still 15.6 days.

You're asking someone to do this level of work in about 10 days, to give you a couple days' buffer for any last minute changes you may want to make. For free. Over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

ChaosTitan
11-23-2010, 03:47 AM
Beta and Editor are not interchangeable things, as your post title seems to suggest.

Plus, ditto everything callalily said.

Your best bet, especially if you hope to reach a professional level, is to teach yourself better grammar. Pick up a copy of Strunk & White's The Elements of Style and read it start to finish. Then read it again. Maybe even pick up a copy of Self-Editing for Fiction Writers. Improving your grammar now, rather than depending on others to fix it for you, will only help you in the long run.