PDA

View Full Version : "Buffy" Remake In the Works

ChaosTitan
11-23-2010, 01:16 AM
Warner Bros (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/buffy-remake-finds-home-warner-48105)has the rights, and a 29-year old female is writing the screenplay (http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/11/22/joss-who-meet-the-writer-of-the-new-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-film/).

katiemac
11-23-2010, 01:54 AM
Read this earlier today. Sad face.

jvc
11-23-2010, 02:01 AM
Do we really need a new remake of this? Really?

kellion92
11-23-2010, 02:07 AM
That is appalling. I wouldn't mind a new Buffy movie, since the original didn't quite get it right the way the series did, but not without Joss Whedon involved. Even so, it's too soon for me. Put a stake in it.

Kathleen42
11-23-2010, 02:07 AM
On the plus side, "Joss" is actually a trending topic on twitter.

CheekyWench
11-23-2010, 02:09 AM
moan. and woe.

Perks
11-23-2010, 02:12 AM
Why in the hell would they do that? That's stupid. Make something new.

rainsmom
11-23-2010, 02:14 AM
Yuck. Why would I ever want Buffy without Joss? I'll give this one a big pass.

Grrarrgh
11-23-2010, 02:22 AM
:cry:

KTC
11-23-2010, 02:23 AM
ACK. vomit. spit. yuck.

jvc
11-23-2010, 02:29 AM
Should we start a 'We love Joss' thread? :D

virtue_summer
11-23-2010, 02:55 AM
To me it's not just not having Joss involved. It's not having the cast of the tv show either, especially Sarah. I just can't imagine anyone else being believable in that role at this point. No matter how they did it, in my mind I think it would come off as kind of a spoof or an imitation rather than the real thing. Even if they do it well and it's a good movie in its own right, it still won't be THE Buffy. It won't be the Buffy that fans of the tv show know and love.

Kathleen42
11-23-2010, 03:28 AM
To me it's not just not having Joss involved. It's not having the cast of the tv show either, especially Sarah. I just can't imagine anyone else being believable in that role at this point. No matter how they did it, in my mind I think it would come off as kind of a spoof or an imitation rather than the real thing. Even if they do it well and it's a good movie in its own right, it still won't be THE Buffy. It won't be the Buffy that fans of the tv show know and love.

I actually wouldn't have a problem seeing someone else in the role. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I adored Kristy Swanson as Buffy.

My understanding from an earlier article I read was that the new movie wouldn't contain any of the other characters from the series because those characters are owned by someone else (can't recall where I read that, though).

JimmyB27
11-23-2010, 03:52 AM
No Joss = Fail.

K. Taylor
11-23-2010, 04:07 AM
Yeah, knew the Kuzui's were wanting a new movie a while ago.

If they wanted to do a new Slayer in the same kind of universe, I'd have no problem with that. But for Buffy? Like her or not, SMG is synonymous with the role.

Manuel Royal
11-23-2010, 04:37 AM
Joss Whedon is overrated, and yet still pretty damn good. More to the point, "Buffy" is so much his creation that it seems pointless for somebody else to do this. It'd be pointless for Whedon to do it, for that matter. God, I'm tired of remakes, reboots, and "re-imaginings".

LOG
11-23-2010, 05:07 AM
Why in the hell would they do that? That's stupid. Make something new.

This. It has not been nearly long enough to allow for a remake yet.
Seriously, they gotta learn that spewing back up different variations of the same stuff is getting really old...

katiemac
11-23-2010, 05:17 AM
My understanding from an earlier article I read was that the new movie wouldn't contain any of the other characters from the series because those characters are owned by someone else (can't recall where I read that, though).

It's true. Kazuis have rights to the film and those characters (Buffy included), but not the characters involved in the television series--those are Joss.

CheekyWench
11-23-2010, 05:23 AM
Joss responds.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b212644_joss_whedon_reacts_buffy_movie_news_i.html

K. Taylor
11-23-2010, 05:34 AM
Yeah, as usual, Joss responds in his own witty way.

Kristin, I'm glad you asked for my thoughts on the announcement of Buffy the cinema film. This is a sad, sad reflection on our times, when people must feed off the carcasses of beloved stories from their youths—just because they can't think of an original idea of their own, like I did with my Avengers idea that I made up myself.

Obviously I have strong, mixed emotions about something like this. My first reaction upon hearing who was writing it was, "Whit Stillman AND Wes Anderson? This is gonna be the most sardonically adorable movie EVER." Apparently I was misinformed. Then I thought, "I'll make a mint! This is worth more than all my Toy Story residuals combined!" Apparently I am seldom informed of anything. And possibly a little slow. But seriously, are vampires even popular any more?

I always hoped that Buffy would live on even after my death. But, you know, AFTER. I don't love the idea of my creation in other hands, but I'm also well aware that many more hands than mine went into making that show what it was. And there is no legal grounds for doing anything other than sighing audibly. I can't wish people who are passionate about my little myth ill. I can, however, take this time to announce that I'm making a Batman movie. Because there's a franchise that truly needs updating. So look for The Dark Knight Rises Way Earlier Than That Other One And Also More Cheaply And In Toronto, rebooting into a theater near you.

Leave me to my pain! Sincerely, Joss Whedon.

LOG
11-23-2010, 06:02 AM
*spews water*

5bcarnies
11-23-2010, 06:25 AM
I don't know which idea is worse: Remaking The Wizard of Oz (and they are) or rebooting Buffy without Whedon?

*shrug* Remaking Buffy without Whedon.

katiemac
11-23-2010, 06:39 AM
I don't know which idea is worse: Remaking The Wizard of Oz (and they are) or rebooting Buffy without Whedon?

*shrug* Remaking Buffy without Whedon.

So far I think Oz is rumor.

shawkins
11-23-2010, 07:03 AM
I'm generally pretty open minded about remakes, but no. Nope. Good on Joss for the polite growupsmanship, but no.

katiemac
11-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Ninety-nine percent of the comments I've read about this have been overwhelmingly negative.

dragonjax
11-23-2010, 07:52 AM
UGH. For f***'s sake, WRITE SOMETHING NEW.

caromora
11-23-2010, 09:14 AM
"While this is not your high-school Buffy, she’ll be just as witty, tough and sexy as we all remember her to be.” (From the LA Times article.)

Am I reading that correctly?. They're rebooting Buffy as an adult rather than a high school student?

Kathleen42
11-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Am I reading that correctly?. They're rebooting Buffy as an adult rather than a high school student?

My guess is they'll pull a Kendra. Buffy wasn't really supposed to be a high school student with friends and a sort of Clark Kent existence (going on a combo of info from the movie and series) but they were late finding and training her. And she was very, very stubborn.

My guess is that she'll still be a teen but she'll be more like Evie in Paranormalcy.

dpaterso
11-23-2010, 01:01 PM
JW or no JW, I would feel compelled to watch this movie.

-Derek

ajkjd01
11-23-2010, 07:38 PM
Nope. Thought Joss tied it all up at the end of the series. Have no need to go back and mess up my memories of this wonderful series. And I liked the movie...saw it first, before the series, and SMG took that role by the throat and made it HERS.

Howsabout Hollywood let Whedon make his own stuff, and then not mess with it, (Buffy movie), cancel it (Firefly), or sell it off to someone else (new Buffy movie).

I'm looking forward to the Avengers. I am not looking forward to this.

Jcomp
11-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Why not do a series about another slayer? It's almost certainly going to be so different that people won't consider this "new Buffy" to be the "real Buffy" anyway, and the series introduced a ton of mythology that can be explored and expanded on. You'd get a lot more of the fandom on board if you went that route, methinks.

Tifferbugz
11-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Wow, I love Buffy and I can't imagine a movie without JW being involved. Very sad. :(

katiemac
11-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Why not do a series about another slayer? It's almost certainly going to be so different that people won't consider this "new Buffy" to be the "real Buffy" anyway, and the series introduced a ton of mythology that can be explored and expanded on. You'd get a lot more of the fandom on board if you went that route, methinks.

There was awhile when fans were petitioning for a FRAY movie or television series. And considering the way the Buffy series ended, it wouldn't be difficult to have a new slayer even in the modern world, with nods here and there to what the Scooby gang is doing (much like they did on Angel's last season).

Perks
11-23-2010, 08:19 PM
You have good ideas, sir. Very often, I think you should be in charge.

AceTachyon
11-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Let's not forget that the show isn't technically over if you count the comic book "Season 8."

And Hollywood already screwed with the original movie. IIRC, Joss wrote it so Buffy burned down the Hemery High gym but the movie gives us a non-gym burning ending. (Check the first episode of the series. Principal Flutie mentions the gym burning.)

Jess Haines
11-24-2010, 12:59 AM
I am so, so disappointed right now. :(

justarandomname47
11-24-2010, 01:38 AM
I agree that it should be a new slayer. Buffy was done and done well. Isn't the point of a remake to make something better? No one is going to think this is better no matter how good it is!

Everyone seems to hate this idea . . . but I wonder how many of us will go see it anyways? I just wish Joss was involved! I'd follow him.

caromora
11-24-2010, 03:55 AM
I might wait for it to come out on Netflix...if it's streaming and I'm really desperate for something to watch. But there's no way I'd spend 12 bucks to see it in theaters.

K. Taylor
11-24-2010, 03:58 AM
Yeah, I've been saying "new Slayer" since the Kuzuis mentioned wanting to revive Buffy a long time ago.

Cuz the thing is, they only own the Buffy from the original movie, and those characters, and that plot-line. So now it's either Buffy moved to a whole new reality to where she might as well not be named Buffy, or...

The writer's a young woman who was a fan of the series, so it'll be interesting what she comes up with. Like fanfic. ;)

Satori1977
11-24-2010, 07:01 PM
For me, there is no Buffy without Joss or Sarah Michelle. Call it what they want, but it is not Buffy. And this fan will not be watching it.

Zefiris
11-24-2010, 07:18 PM
I'd love a Buffy movie with Joss as the writer but without him it just won't feel right :( :( :(

Still, I know I'll end up going to see it and hey, look on the bright-side. If the movie does well and generates enough interest in Buffy-Verse again it means more chance of a Season 8 or a spin-off show featuring one of the other characters.

I know there was talk of a Giles series a few years back, hopefully the movie reignites the interest so it gets put into production!

Snappy
11-24-2010, 07:24 PM
A series or movie about a new slayer would be great. There were talks when Buffy was still on the air about doing a Faith series spinoff. I would've watched that, but it never got off the ground.

As far as this new Buffy movie, unless it has all of the original cast, Whedon and puts Buffy in her thirties, I don't want to go anywhere near it.

*Sigh* Leave these iconic shows alone!

dragonjax
11-24-2010, 07:32 PM
If the movie does well and generates enough interest in Buffy-Verse again it means more chance of a Season 8 or a spin-off show featuring one of the other characters.

Dark Horse comics has been doing the official Buffy Season 8. Joss has been the driving force there.

ajkjd01
11-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Dark Horse comics has been doing the official Buffy Season 8. Joss has been the driving force there.

Key piece there. JOSS has been the driving force there.

Not so with this movie. Makes a big difference.

Celia Cyanide
11-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Buffy already IS a remake, isn't it?

ChaosTitan
11-26-2010, 04:42 AM
Buffy already IS a remake, isn't it?

Depends on which Buffy. The series is technically a reboot of the movie, because it uses some of the history but creates a lot of its own. But the original movie wasn't a remake.

Either way, Joss wrote both the screenplay for the original film and the majority of the series. So he's been the driving force behind Buffy since the start.

Satori1977
11-26-2010, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't consider it a remake. Like Chaos said, Joss wrote the screenplay for the movie, but they f**ed it up and wouldn't let him make the movie the way he wanted to make it. He had much more say in the tv show, and his true vision was finally revealed.

mario_c
11-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Even when they brought back The X Files (to unanimous apathy) they made sure Chris Carter had first draft. When they brought back Star Trek (with Tiny Toons versions of the original cast) they waited until Gene Roddenberry was too old to write anymore. Now they're trying to guarantee strike three and an early trip home?
*sigh* Why are powerful people so clueless?

katiemac
11-28-2010, 12:09 AM
What's really interesting about this remake is the fact, as discussed, they don't have the rights to the characters from the television series. So we're talking strict character-reboot here, Buffy only, but more than that... Buffy from the original movie.

But the new writer is a fan of the show (and the original film, maybe, I don't recall). There's no way she could completely separate movie Buffy from television Buffy, and television Buffy is going to have a very big influence on this new screen version.

Someone else mentioned fanfic upthread. I wonder if that's what this movie is going to feel like.. a big piece of fanfic.

Kyla Laufreyson
11-30-2010, 03:04 AM
I kind of support the idea of another Slayer. SMG was the perfect Buffy, and while I'm sure I'll end up watching the new movie at some point, I also know there's no way it will ever live up. I still rewatch Buffy all the time and can't imagine it any other way.

ChaosTitan
11-30-2010, 03:06 AM
io9 has a great article that really examines what Buffy gave to pop culture and why we need to move forward: http://io9.com/5700871/

Satori1977
12-01-2010, 12:48 AM
io9 has a great article that really examines what Buffy gave to pop culture and why we need to move forward: http://io9.com/5700871/

Great article. She said it perfectly.