PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Beta or Swap -- Paranormal/Steampunk Romance 100,000 WRD

DarkDesireX
11-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Sorry my post is so long. I really thought this out before I decided to put it up, so I had a lot to say.

Hiya, all!

I'm looking for a tough critique partner for my "completed" manuscript. I've already read it through a number of times so it should be edited properly for grammar and spelling but what I seem to be lacking is something that will require a fresh set of eyes.

I'd like someone who is going to be able to read for "readability," if that makes sense. Having some concept of Steampunk would be nice but it's not required. I have a list of editorial issues back from the publisher (there are only four but since I wrote it, I understand what readers might not) so you'll see what I mean if you're interested.

Basically what I'm looking for is more "this paragraph doesn't make sense," or "I think it's too early for her to no longer be angry with him after that."

Of course, I'm perfectly willing to swap stories for this. I will pretty much read anything but I prefer someone who reads Romance to beta for mine as different genres read differently and mine is already a melting pot of a tone of different sub-genres.

I can usually read about a book a day, so to do a thorough job with any of your work would take me at least two. Depending on how you want your updates (i.e. in one big bulk or by chapter), I'll be done as soon as possible. Of course, I don't expect my Beta to read this quickly (most people who aren't me have lives -sadpanda-), but I would like some kind of deadline offered up. If it is a longer one, I would like frequent updates.

Here is the blurb for the story:

In Victorian England it is whispered that the prestigious Blackwell family is touched with paranormal abilities. Eliza knows firsthand that those rumors are true, as she is plagued by wandering spirits, no matter how hard she works to ignore them. As a bastard of the family, she thought she'd succeeded in not only hiding her heritage but repressing the mystical call.

Content with the life she has made for herself as a thief, her world is shattered when she is discovered by her long-lost sister. Desperate to escape the family and her "gift" she agrees to exchange a favor for her sister's silence: she sets out to steal an ornate box from the home of the rumored madman and brilliant inventor Lord Cyril Reeves.

When her plan goes awry Eliza is held prisoner by the eccentric noble. The box is revealed to be the only clue to the disappearance of Cyril's late wife. Eliza is bent on escape but then the ghosts begin to link their deaths to the revolutionary automaton he is working on. She realizes that the only way for her to save him is with the help of the gift she wants no part of.

Cyril awakens a passion within her that she never knew existed. With every inch he gains into her closed-off heart he pushes her towards a power that may blow her mind -literally and figuratively. The more she uses her abilities, the more danger of being lost to the spirit world. At the same time, if she doesn't take the risk she may end up losing Cyril to the madness the ghosts around him are creating.

Eliza must decide if she's willing to risk the flames of the damned in order to save the fire he lights in her body and soul.

I think that's all I have to say...don't hesitate to ask me any questions or tell me if any of my expectations are unreasonable. If you're interested we can work on the details, this is just what I came up with.

I log onto AW every day but if you want to get in contact with me immediately send me an email at EyesThatSparkleInTheMoonLight@Yahoo.com. I know, it's super long and kind of silly but somehow it ended up being my work email. It's also connected to my phone so I can answer you much quicker.

I hope to hear from you soon!
Nina

MissMacchiato
11-23-2010, 02:14 AM
Hi Nina...

I've pmed you :)

DarkDesireX
11-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks, everyone who sent me a message!
I've got all the readers and swaps I need to this novel.