PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Now Offering Streaming-Only Option

Grrarrgh
11-22-2010, 10:37 PM
I saw a tweet about it and went to check it out. $7.99/month for unlimited streaming. I've been waiting for them to do this forever. We have discs that have been sitting on our coffee table since July, but we stream stuff constantly.
It looks like the DVD packages have each increased by $1/month as well.

Cella
11-22-2010, 10:43 PM
you might want to check out a Roku (http://www.roku.com/roku-products?gclid=CLiw4fuJtaUCFUS8KgoddS0sZQ). I got it for my bday and it's been fun. We watch a lot of netflix stuff with is. Hulu is working with them for TV shows, too, in the near future.

Grrarrgh
11-22-2010, 10:47 PM
We actually have one of the new TVs that has internet, including Netflix, so we just stream that way. My father-in-law got a Roku for his birthday, though, and loves it.

Manuel Royal
11-23-2010, 01:13 AM
I watch some Netflix movies online, but there are some disadvantages: you can't get to the extra features a DVD might have, can't select for audio track or subtitles, etc. And the picture usually isn't quite as good, at least when I do it.

maestrowork
11-24-2010, 03:23 AM
The problem is Netflix doesn't have all movies or the latest ones available for streaming. So for $7.99 a month... it's still rather limited.

mario_c
11-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Yes, I'm going to continue paying the $2 a month extra for my DVD supply. I'm the type with a full queue and a wish list though, and there's a lot of titles I want that are not on Netflix TV yet - or the stream is bad quality or basic cable quality (2001 is full screen?! WHY?!). I love Netflix TV but jesus, it's not like I can't spare the $2. Not yet anyway.

Grrarrgh
11-24-2010, 05:09 PM
We haven't actually canceled our DVD service yet, but we're thinking about it. It's not that we can't handle the extra $2/month, but the DVDs we have now have been sitting on our table since July. So even though it's only $2/month, it's still money that being wasted. I agree with maestro, though, that the selection is still rather limited, which is one reason we haven't done it. I'm hoping that this move means that a much bigger selection of streaming movies and TV shows is on its way.

Manuel Royal
11-24-2010, 08:46 PM
I've got a queue of 500 movies, and keep a separate file where I list movies to put on the queue when there's an opening. I could stay at home and just watch movies for a year.

maestrowork
11-24-2010, 08:59 PM
We haven't actually canceled our DVD service yet, but we're thinking about it. It's not that we can't handle the extra $2/month, but the DVDs we have now have been sitting on our table since July. So even though it's only $2/month, it's still money that being wasted. I agree with maestro, though, that the selection is still rather limited, which is one reason we haven't done it. I'm hoping that this move means that a much bigger selection of streaming movies and TV shows is on its way.

I'm keeping the DVD service, but only the 1-out plan. They have obscure and foreign films that I like, but not available for Instant Watch.

But $2 for unlimited streaming is a STEAL, considering Hulu Plus is charging $7.99 a month (with commercials!!!).