Is This Code For "You Suck?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mihoshi

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a magazine article recently on adopting the right breed of cat for your personal lifestyle. The editor finally wrote me today and said it was very well written with excellent advice, but there wasn't anything in the article that she hadn't published in various past issues.

Is this just editor code for I think your piece is garbage? Times like this is why I prefer to be handed article assignments over making up topics on my own :Shrug:

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
No, I don't think that's what the editor was saying at all. :)

Did you research back issues to see what had been covered over the last year or so? (You probably did, but I hadda ask) You might want to request their editorial calendar, if they have one. This will give you an idea of stories they plan to cover in the future. Mention that you're available for assignments, too.

Good luck. :)

Edited to add: Can you try this with another market? Parenting/grandparenting pubs sometimes like stories like this. Or maybe that's where you sent it. In that case, ignore me. :D

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I agree with Anne. I think you need to check out their back issues for at least 12-14 months to see how your information can be slanted to fill in what they HAVEN'T touched on! Good luck!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Code

No, the editor is just saying you didn't send her anything new. No editor wants to publish something they've published in the past. This is why it's vital to read many issues of the magazine you want to write for. Going back five years is a very good thing.

No code there at all. The editor is just saying other writers beat you to the punch. If there is code, the editor is also saying you should have known this because you read the magazine regularly, and have for a long time..

Status
Not open for further replies.