Spooooky Happening

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I've told a bunch of stories about the apparently spooky things that have been known to happen around me. It's totally fine if folks think there must be a rational explanation for them. I don't necessrily disagree. So I'm just relating facts. Believe or disbelieve as you like :D

My faucet ghost is back. Faucet ghost has actually not been in this house, my grandmother's old house on family land. It's more of a door-flung-open-when-it's-locked kind of place.

Faucet ghost bugged me in my old historic dorm. The whole campus was said to be haunted. There were tons of stories. My final story was an actual sighting of an actual girl ghost (or whatever she may be). Before that, it was just faucet ghost. Simply, the faucet would turn on at inconvenient or stressful moments. Studying hard for exams? The faucet would roar every half hour or so.

Once I came back from a trip during December to the whole room covered in steam, posters rolled down off the walls, and the hot water on full force. I was not amused.

I hadn't noticed the connection before, but a friend remembered faucet ghost when I told her about the hauntings folks said they saw on my floor. Two girls had died by electrocution on my small floor, definitely, back in the day. My friend wondered if the cause weren't electricity mixed with water! Faucet ghost was trying to kill me!!!

Anyway, faucet ghost turned on my hot water -- nearly full force -- after I watched a movie about the afterlife last night. I was amused :) It had better not keep it up, but that was pretty clever.

All stories, skepticisms, practical theories, suggestions to see a therapist encouraged, please. I just find it kind of amusing, myself ;)

Especially your own stories. Late fall/winter is when most of the oddest things occur for me, I've noticed. So apologies that it's not normally a spooky time for a thread like this, but it's what I've got!

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
It's better than a toilet ghost.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
My sister had a similar problem in the 1980s. (The TV kept turning itself on.) They lived next to one of those electrical substations and it turned out to be a wire acting as an antenna.

She and her husband had just moved into a new house when they heard--no joke--a child's voice sobbing. It sounded like it was coming from the attic. Obviously this was weird and a little off-putting, but her husband went up there with a flashlight and saw this old battery powered B&W tv. They couldn't figure out how to turn it off, so they just threw a moving blanket over it to muffle the sound. Then a couple of days later their TV downstairs started doing the same thing.

They asked around and found out that the previous owners had griped about the same sort of thing before they moved away. My sister wanted to get with them and compare notes (and see if they were ever going to come get their crappy furniture and clothes and stuff), but the lady's mom said she figured they'd left town to avoid some bills and she'd have them call if they ever got in touch. She was pretty mad.

Anyway, after a couple weeks of the waah-waah-waah channel in the attic and the family room they woke up and all the electrical outlets in the house were bleeding. Not a lot, not like from a chainsaw wound or anything, but it was messing up the paint. They tried to call in an electrician, but they live in a small town and there were only two listed in the yellow pages. One of them kept hanging up on them. The other was real nice. It turned out he'd worked on it before with the former owners, but he wouldn't take the job, even when they offered him a ton of money. Something about how he was 'going to give wire pulling a miss,' or maybe it was wires pulling him into the abyss. I forget. So the electrician was a non starter.

My sister's husband isn't an electrician, but he's a pretty good do-it-yourselfer for a professor. He took a whack at fixing it himself. He picked up a bunch of books from the library and one of those volt meter things from Ace hardware. He ended up having to rip out a couple of walls, but it turned out that one of the former owners had tried to add in a new outlet and made a real mess of things. The wiring violated the building codes or the laws of physics or something. I forget. He eventually decided it was N-dimensional resonance feedback from the water heater opening up a spirit breaker (or maybe it was a circuit eater? Something like that.)

My brother in law diddled around with this for weeks. God love him, he actually made the symptoms worse. The guy next door had a small dairy farm. Apparently cows are real sensitive to electrical fields, because one night they busted into the neighbor's house and ate one of his kids. Also, IIRC, a tractor and a couple of the national guard guys the governor sent out after the cows ate the sheriff. I was always surprised that didn't get more news coverage. It was a big deal around here. Also the mailman melted.

Anyway, my sister just wanted to say eff it and move out, but her husband promised her he could fix it. He's one of those obsessive types. (Super bright guy, though). She more or less just rolled her eyes and put in earplugs when she wated to sleep. He did get it figured out, though. All they had to do was adjust one of the wires to where it didn't resonate in the same way. I assume that fixed it, because she never brought it up again.

She and I kind of lost touch not long after that. She always wanted to be an actress so one day the two of them moved out to Hollywood. "Follow your dreams," and all that. It was a smart move, because she did end up getting a role on some show. She never calls anymore now that she's famous (well, semi-famous. The show's only on in the middle of the night). I catch it every now and then. You know that one where the people just stand around screaming and pretending to be in terrible pain? My sister's in that. One of the stars, I think. Personally, I find it kind of boring. It's same thing week after week after week, but the effects are pretty good and somebody must like it because it's been on for years. If you're a fan, my sister was the one in the extreme closeup in that episode last season where the woman pretended to pound on the inside of the TV and beg for help while that giant goat snake thing jumped around in the background eating people.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

I've totally had a plug-in (unplugged), no-battery radio play by itself and I couldn't get it to shut up. I thought you were a different kind of brilliant there for a minute!

Brilliant, still :D

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I straight up had the whole "sudden, mysterious chill" thing happen to me twice yesterday afternoon. And yes, I made sure it wasn't the A/C or an open window. It was quite peculiar. Of course, until the specter shows himself whilst rattling chains and asking if I, a man of the worldly mind, believe in him or not, I shall insist it was my own imagination.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Been there, heard that.

ETA: For anyone who is interested, see my Haunted Blog for my own enounters living in a haunted house. It's now, thankfully sold!

I checked out your (awesome) blog! Very spooky. In a bad way, looks like. That sucks. Very, very interesting, still.

If anyone is into it, or a scientist type, I am curious what folks think is the explanation for faucet ghost. Not even 'the' explanation, but seriously... do you just not believe it happened (you can say it)? Faucets very lose somehow? A delusion (I swear it's not, but that's certainly on the table with this type of thing).

The radio thing happened with my ex right there (and other things than that really freaky one), so it's not just something I can see.

Hmmmm.

Jokes are good, too, btw. It is OP :)

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
I straight up had the whole "sudden, mysterious chill" thing happen to me twice yesterday afternoon. And yes, I made sure it wasn't the A/C or an open window. It was quite peculiar. Of course, until the specter shows himself whilst rattling chains and asking if I, a man of the worldly mind, believe in him or not, I shall insist it was my own imagination.

is that code for 'douche chills?'

were you reading any posts from quickwit or rob?

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
It is possible for a change in water pressure to force a faucet handle to turn and go on - but only if it's a knob faucet with a stem - in other words, not a lever that goes up and down with a brass ball. And this usually happens in older buildings with old plumbing and/or older faucets.

Just a possible explanation - but it's creepy that this has happened to you in multiple places.

and yes, I work in a plumbing place... :) And no, it's not what I dreamed about when I was a little girl.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! That may be it, though! That dorm was built in the 60's, if that's old enough. And my bathroom faucets here are very old. I had to special order a part for that toilet that dated back to the 50's.

Do you know much about radios, lol?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
That was so creepy that I've always wanted somebody to tell us that electricity can store up in the unplugged wire or something :D

It was some religious channel. And we couldn't change the tuning, either!

*cold shivers*

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I'm a total sceptic about this sort of stuff, and there's often a defensive response to scepticism along the lines of: 'well, how do you explain *this* then, huh? I suppose you think I'm a loony, right, mr science guy?'

But, part of being sceptical is being happy to say 'I don't know'. And also being prepared to be proven wrong. But there's no more evidence for it being ghosts than anything else.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
As for proving my experience... no I don't feel I need to. It was what it was, I went through it. It was enough to make me sell the house and move on. As for Backslash and her experience, I find it interesting to read. But before passing judgement I would have to experience it for myself either way.
I'm not passing comment on what you did or didn't go through. I'm simply saying that a)I don't know what it was, and b)There's no reason to leap directly to ghosts as the explanation.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Apparently cows are real sensitive to electrical fields, because one night they busted into the neighbor's house and ate one of his kids. Also, IIRC, a tractor and a couple of the national guard guys the governor sent out after the cows ate the sheriff. I was always surprised that didn't get more news coverage. It was a big deal around here. Also the mailman melted.

I hate when that happens.

Great post. *s*

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Guys, I think Barbara was just laughing at shwakins' outlandish tale of cows eating people.

I didn't get any mocking from that (Barbara's quoting or shawkins post.)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Adam, Barbara was quoting part of what Shawkins had shared in the fourth post of this thread. Most of us realize what Shawkins wrote was intended as tongue-in-cheek.

ETA: Cross-posted with Perks, who also sees the light.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, bollocks. :(

I checked the page, but didn't spot it somehow. The lack of a quote box threw me off I guess.

My apologies, Barabara. I'm so used to these threads being mocked that I jumped the gun.

Last edited:

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Cross-posted with Perks, who also sees the light.

Blinded by it regularly, of course.

:)

Do not walk towards it!!

The creepiest "spooky" occurrence I've heard of came from a friend who once related a lengthy, rather unsettling account of a supposed "hex" placed on his mother and all the unbelievably horrible shit that happened to her until it was "lifted." I lean toward skepticism even in the things I've experienced directly (God knows I have more than enough reason to believe I'm just slightly out of my mind), but his story left me pretty shook up. Certain details and touches made me think that if he was just making it all up he'd be much better serviced putting it on paper and turning it into a "based on a true story" novel than more-or-less unwillingly telling it to friends.

When it comes to Santeria, brujeria, hoodou, etc., I tend to tread lightly.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My mother has one of the best creepy tales of all time. She and a writer friend (mom's a painter) went on a week's artistic retreat at this remote cabin in West Virginia, newly purchased by the writer-friend's family. No electricity, no telephone, a bucket/pulley well for water, that sort of thing.

They were menaced nightly by a chanting 'witch' or something and the back porch was destroyed by some very strong, growly, roaring thing, egged-on by said witch while they were in the house. The endgame is just terrifically scary and ultimately resolves on the sixth night with the sound of a small dog keening in agony, abruptly cut short. Turns out, the writer's little poodle died at home, in her doggy bed, the night before they were picked up.

I've heard the story (it takes half an afternoon to tell) from both my mother and her friend separately and they match up in all the important details. It's a difficult story to believe, but there's always the question of why would they make it up?

Either way, I should write it or let Sam Raimi make it a movie.