PDA

View Full Version : korean maritial customs, anyone

yungchic
11-21-2010, 05:39 PM
in my story i'm including a pae-baek ceremony but I want to do it before the wedding, like a few days before. would this be GROSSLY incorrect?

btw, i'm neither korean nor asian. HELP!!

JulieHowe
11-21-2010, 11:27 PM
The paebaek usually happens after the wedding ceremony. Maybe someone with more familiarity with the culture will be able to offer some suggestions.

yungchic
11-22-2010, 07:35 AM
cool, thanks for the info

GradyHendrix
11-22-2010, 07:21 PM
You can do it, but you'd need to make it clear that this is an exception based on the couple's personal preference or circumstance. Most wedding traditions aren't set in stone and in China, Japan and Korea the blend between local and Western wedding traditions is often mixed to taste (in Hong Kong, for example, some people may have a completely Western wedding but still spend a lot of time picking the day with a fortune teller, or they may choose to still serve tea to the parents).

Short answer: it would not be entirely freaky for a couple in Korea to sign their marriage certificate, have pae bak and then have a Western wedding for a bigger crowd of guests a day or two later. It would be strange but not out of the question.

yungchic
11-22-2010, 07:58 PM