Synopsis as a query?

acer

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Hello agents and everyone else.

I would like to get an agency to represent me. However, the book I wrote is very difficult to write as a query.

You see, the structure is something like ‘The English Patient.’ We have three people stranded in an abandoned villa. A main part of the book is tracing how those people got to where they are. As we trace their history through flashbacks, we see how their lives are entangled together, and how their pasts affect their present, and this forms the main theme of the book.

And this whole story is told by one of the survivors many years later.

I wrote some drafts of the query, but everyone on these forums is saying that it sounds like a synopsis. So, I was just wondering, suppose an agent gets a 'query' that is like a synopsis, will she/she consider it?

Thanks so much

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
If an agent gets a query that looks like a synopsis, the agent will assume you don't know the difference between the two forms.

So, yeah, it may be more challenging to query your book than, say, a Harry Potter book. But you need to do it nonetheless.

One way to approach this is to look at back-cover summaries and other teaser-type text written about similar 'interlocking narrative' books. Look at, for instance, the first paragraph of this page about The Bridge of San Luis Rey. Or the Publishers Weekly review of How to Make an American Quilt (2nd down on this page). (I mean, you don't put the praise in the way the review does, because that's creepy, but that review does a really good job of summarizing the complexity and structure of the novel.)

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Ignore agents for a minute. Think about your ultimate goal here -- to get readers for your book. Now imagine your book at Borders, sitting on the shelf, wonderful cover. A reader/victim comes along, picks up your book, and a three page synopsis falls out with a note on it saying, "Read this."

Think you're going to sell many books?

Here's the description for THE ENGLISH PATIENT from Amazon:
Haunting and harrowing, as beautiful as it is disturbing, The English Patient tells the story of the entanglement of four damaged lives in an Italian monastery as World War II ends. The exhausted nurse, Hana; the maimed thief, Caravaggio; the wary sapper, Kip: each is haunted by the riddle of the English patient, the nameless, burn victim who lies in an upstairs room and whose memories of passion, betrayal, and rescue illuminate this book like flashes of heat lightning. In lyrical prose informed by a poetic consciousness, Michael Ondaaje weaves these characters together, pulls them tight, then unravels the threads with unsettling acumen.
That's 103 words. Apparently gets people to want to read the book. If the only way to sell your book is with a synopsis, you're never going to sell it. Whether we're talking agents or talking readers.

Now readers and agents want slightly different things in their descriptions. But a lot of query letters, with modifications, eventually are the same thing that goes on the back cover. Your queries, however, aren't exciting anyone, because you're explaining your story, not selling us your story.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Danthia

Jim nailed it. Read the covers of books like yours and see how they do it. One thing though, a printed book can get away with phrases like "Haunting and harrowing, as beautiful as it is disturbing," and "In lyrical prose informed by a poetic consciousness," but a query can't. So don't describe your book in words of praise or you come off looking kinda pretentious. Just use the hook part of the cover copy.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's always difficult to describe a book adequately in a query. You have to do it, anyway.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Welcome, Acer. Others are correct--you must learn how to describe your book in a query letter. I love The English Patient synopsis, as it says so much in few words.

Keep working on your query. You'll get it.

acer

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, Thank you so much for all your advice. You all were very helpful. Thank you so much also for the links.