PDA

View Full Version : The Fellowship Cafe

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

FranYoakumVeal
11-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Jack Parker commented yesterday that he had noticed this forum was a little slow. I want to challenge all of the writers who are Christ followers, regardless of the genre you write for, to come here to this forum at least weekly to encourage each other. C'mon guys, we should have the most awesome forum out there!

Blessings!

Robin Bayne
11-20-2010, 10:49 PM
-/\/\-----------------------------------------------------------------
\ / TODAY'S VERSE from HEARTLIGHT -- http://www.heartlight.org/
--\/------------------------------------------------------------------

VERSE:
Since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding.
-- Colossians 1:9

THOUGHT:
In a world where we can feel so isolated and alone at times, it is so important for us to know that someone is praying for us and for our spiritual needs. As I think of the thousands who are a part of the Today's Verse ministry, I cannot help but pray that each of them, that you, are blessed by knowing that you share a spiritual journey with people all over the world, and that today, we will be praying for each other. And of course there can be no better prayer than the one that Paul prayed for the Colossian friends he had never met -- "I ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding." Let's pray that for each other today.

Robin Bayne
11-23-2010, 01:33 AM
Thanksgiving verse:

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
-- Colossians 3:15

FranYoakumVeal
11-23-2010, 01:59 AM
This is a busy week for everyone, but I just wanted to say

May God bless you all!

And please pray for my family. It is our first holiday season without my dad, who went to be with the Lord earlier this year. Thanks!

Jack Parker
11-23-2010, 03:45 AM
So sorry to hear that, Fran. I pray you and your family are both comforted and encouraged in your giving thanks this weekend.

I'm single and will be staying home having the traditional Thanksgiving Tacos. (Hey, I have my traditions and you have yours!) For tacos, I truly give thanks! (My favorite!)

I make turkey about three times a year and just made one a month ago. The best thing about turkey is the homemade turkey gravy and mashed potatoes. :yessmiley it's the whole reason I make it!

But tacos? Tacos bring me great joy and rapture divine! I make them often and never get tired of them. (Three more days... just three more days... I can make it...)

Robin Bayne
11-24-2010, 02:39 AM
Also sorry, Fran, Sending prayer and warm fuzzy thoughts!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my writing friends.

Enter [the Lord's] gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.
-- Psalm 100:4-5

FranYoakumVeal
11-24-2010, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the prayers, Jack and Robin!

Jack, I love tacos, too. My mama is from Lubbock,Tx and I was raised on Tex Mex.

I'm thankful my family will be together and that we are getting our turkey from Slick Pig. (i.e. I don't have to cook it!)

Jack Parker
11-24-2010, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the prayers, Jack and Robin!

Jack, I love tacos, too. My mama is from Lubbock,Tx and I was raised on Tex Mex.

I'm thankful my family will be together and that we are getting our turkey from Slick Pig. (i.e. I don't have to cook it!)
Slick Pig? Yup, you're southern! I lived in the south for awhile and loved it! "I miss me some sweet tea!"

Don't have to cook? Those words make me break out into a cold sweat! Cooking and writing are my two earthly passions. I make turkey several times a year just so I can get that joy of making a big meal for people! I have a recipe for turkey that's so good it'd bring Jesus back early. And my Vanilla Mashed Sweet Potatoes have been known to trigger personal revivals. I'm just sayin'.... ;)

Robin Bayne
11-24-2010, 05:13 PM
! I have a recipe for turkey that's so good it'd bring Jesus back early. And my Vanilla Mashed Sweet Potatoes have been known to trigger personal revivals. I'm just sayin'.... ;)

So, Jack, what time should we be there?:D

Jack Parker
11-24-2010, 05:48 PM
So, Jack, what time should we be there?:DIt's like I tell my neighbors, my door may be closed but it's always open. I cook for hungry people.

I posted the recipe for my Vanilla Mashed Sweet Potatoes (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197177) in the recipe forum if you'd like to see it. I just checked and I did post the Turkey recipe (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5511776&postcount=24), too.

I can't recommend cooking the turkey this way highly enough. I've been doing it for 20 years and never had a dry bird. It's gorgeous to boot. It'll look like Donna Reed made it when it's done. Another plus is that it saves valuable oven time for all everything else. (Stuffing, casseroles, pies, roasted veggies, husbands who can't stop picking at and tasting everything, etc.)

This year, though, I'm spending Thanksgiving alone at home (by choice). I make turkey several times a year so I'm not going all out just for myself. Instead I'm making the Traditional Thanksgiving Tacos! LOL

Robin Bayne
11-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the recipe, I usually make a sweet potato casserole. Have a great day tomorrow!

FranYoakumVeal
11-25-2010, 02:10 AM
Slick Pig? Yup, you're southern! I lived in the south for awhile and loved it! "I miss me some sweet tea!"

Don't have to cook? Those words make me break out into a cold sweat! Cooking and writing are my two earthly passions. I make turkey several times a year just so I can get that joy of making a big meal for people! I have a recipe for turkey that's so good it'd bring Jesus back early. And my Vanilla Mashed Sweet Potatoes have been known to trigger personal revivals. I'm just sayin'.... ;)

I'm a Tennessee gal! I've been known to draw blank stares for asking for sweet tea north of the Mason Dixon line! And it has to be brewed sweet tea, none of this from the fountain Nestea stuff!

But I digress. Checking out the Vanilla Sweet Potato recipe. I have about 5 pounds of SPs to cook tomorrow!

FranYoakumVeal
11-25-2010, 02:12 AM
If you don't have vanilla bean, can you substitute real vanilla extract?

Jack Parker
11-25-2010, 06:04 AM
If you don't have vanilla bean, can you substitute real vanilla extract? Absolutely. I have some real Mexican vanilla and have used that before.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

heyjude
11-27-2010, 04:32 PM
This is a busy week for everyone, but I just wanted to say

May God bless you all!

And please pray for my family. It is our first holiday season without my dad, who went to be with the Lord earlier this year. Thanks!

I'm way late to this thread, but wanted to stick my nose in and say :hi:. Fran, how was your Thanksgiving? I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, but I'm glad he's at home in heaven. :Hug2:

FranYoakumVeal
11-27-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm way late to this thread, but wanted to stick my nose in and say :hi:. Fran, how was your Thanksgiving? I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, but I'm glad he's at home in heaven. :Hug2:

We had a nice Thanksgiving, thanks. It does help to know he's home!

Deb Kinnard
11-28-2010, 04:21 AM
An encouragement (not to be attributed to anyone more worthy):

Been waiting all day today to get my writing time. But while washing up the breakfast dishes, a thought occurred to me.

I've often thought on writers who say they pray that God will give them the next story to write. Now, as many times as I've prayed for that, I've never felt it happen. That makes me feel a bit discouraged -- I have gajillions of stories in my head, and to the best of my knowledge, the Master has never obviously given me even one of them.

And it came to me while doing the dishes -- this is okay. The Word says that without Him nothing was made, that was made. As in His marvelous creation of the world, the cosmos and all that's in it, so also in our imaginations. Since I serve the Lord, without Him I write nothing that I type down into the software.

Julian of Norwich (1300s) once wrote that "we are in Him enclosed." By that standard, I write just as inspired by Him as those who say their stories come from Him directly. I can neither prove nor disprove their words...I can only bear witness that however it comes, for us it comes from Him.

Maybe I just need to wash more dishes.

Robin Bayne
11-29-2010, 03:32 AM
That's an excellent way to think, Deb!!!

Robin Bayne
11-30-2010, 11:42 PM
White Rose authors are offering a complimentary mini-cookbook, with holiday appetizers and desserts, at their website. (http://www.whiterosepublishing.com)

Try my hubby's Stuffed Mushroom caps--there were a hit with my family last Christmas!

FranYoakumVeal
12-08-2010, 07:16 PM
I just wanted to say "good morning" to all of you! Hope you have a day full of blessings!

Robin Bayne
12-09-2010, 02:58 AM
Right back at ya', Fran!:)

So what is everyone doing to prepare for Christmas? Anything out of the ordinary?

Calla Lily
12-09-2010, 03:16 AM
Trying to finish writing Book 2. Does that count? :tongue

Singing incessantly to DMHO's Timeless Christmas CD. :heart: (This time last year I was in a choir touring with them. So. Much. Fun!)

Okay, we've also decorated the house inside and out, put up a roadkill tree, and I've done a bit of shopping (we're in spending lockdown, so lots of homemade gifts this year).

childoflight
12-09-2010, 03:34 AM
Greetings everyone! :hooray:

Just thought I'd drop by and say hi. :)

Lavern08
12-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Alright Lily,

You have got to tell me what a *Roadkill Tree* is?

ROFL :D

Calla Lily
12-09-2010, 07:35 PM
:) It's Mr. Lily's term. It's simply a pre-cut tree from this place down the street that we always buy our trees at. As opposed to hiking into the woods with a saw and cutting our own.

Lavern08
12-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Ohhhhhhhh, ok - gotcha!

I thought it was a tree decorated with raccoons, possums, and deer, etc. that you scraped off the roads. :tongue

Calla Lily
12-09-2010, 08:31 PM
That sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy joke. :D

Robin Bayne
12-12-2010, 03:57 AM
:) It's Mr. Lily's term. It's simply a pre-cut tree from this place down the street that we always buy our trees at. As opposed to hiking into the woods with a saw and cutting our own.

Well that's a new one.:D

BruceJ
12-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Greeetings, one and all! Praying a meaningful Christmas season for everyone.

Deb Kinnard
12-15-2010, 07:10 AM
Whew, Lil. You had me envisioning a flattened fir, smeared in its own sap, with tire tracks up its branches.

Whimpering. I forgot to add "whimpering."

Calla Lily
12-15-2010, 07:15 AM
Mr. Lily loves all these answers, BTW.

Robin Bayne
12-18-2010, 07:18 PM
Just dropping in to say hello!

Gravity
12-19-2010, 08:53 AM
I had no idea where to put this, but I simply have to share. Not far from us is a second-hand furniture store, and inside they've opened a jewelry line. But I think they're going after a different market of women, because this is--I swear--the text of their sign on the sidewalk out front: "A diamond will shut her up, and we've got plenty."

I laughed so hard I almost ran the stop sign!

kdnxdr
12-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Hello,

It's my first time (that I can think of) to visit this thread/forum.

I was curious as to what "Call to Christian Writers to Burn It Up on This Forum" means?

Thank you.

kid

Gravity
12-23-2010, 01:21 AM
I think the OP was talking about wanting more Christians to post here.

childoflight
12-24-2010, 09:01 AM
:nothing

Merry Christmas everyone! :)

Calla Lily
12-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Merry Christmas!

Lavern08
12-24-2010, 08:18 PM
... Not far from us is a second-hand furniture store, and inside they've opened a jewelry line. But I think they're going after a different market of women, because this is--I swear--the text of their sign on the sidewalk out front: "A diamond will shut her up, and we've got plenty."

Absolutely Hilarious - I love it! :D

heyjude
12-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Merry Christmas all!

Calla Lily
12-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Merry post-Christmas, everyone!

Robin Bayne
12-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Hope everyone's Christmas was wonderful!

Gravity
12-27-2010, 01:12 AM
Hope everyone's Christmas was great. And I just recieved word from the publisher that if anyone has a Kindle, for the next two weeks Heading Home,as well as all the Sheaf House titles, will be on sale for $2.99 each. Stock up! :D

starbeam
12-31-2010, 01:35 AM
Hello everyone! I thought I'd introduce myself here, since this is a call to all Christians to post. My name is Rachel. Other than writing YA fantasy, I also write Christian poetry. Any other poetry writers out there?

Robin Bayne
01-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Welcome Rachel!

Happy New Year fellow writers!

\ / TODAY'S VERSE from HEARTLIGHT -- http://www.heartlight.org/ (http://www.heartlight.org/)

December 31, 2010

VERSE:
This is what the Lord says, ... "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."
-- Isaiah 43:16,18-19

THOUGHT:
The year is gone, finished, past. We cannot reclaim it or undo it. We cannot rest on the great distance it has brought us. If tomorrow dawns, it will be another day, a new opportunity, and the time to show our faith in Jesus as Lord. Let's journey forward, knowing that God already inhabits the future and promises to provide us refreshment on our journey there.

CACTUSWENDY
01-01-2011, 01:39 AM
The best of the blessings to come for your New Year to each and everyone.

Calla Lily
01-01-2011, 05:22 AM
Happy New Year, everyone!

Robin Bayne
01-15-2011, 02:47 AM
Howdy! Two tidbits of excitement--

White Rose Publishing sent me a contract to re-issue one of my favorite novellas, "The Artist's Granddaughter."

and. . .

last night I found this website (http://www.lovetoknow.com/top10/christian-love-books.html)-- and my last story is ranked # 5 among books by very well known Christian authors!!

Deb Kinnard
01-16-2011, 03:20 AM
Way cool, Robin! You're in some pretty great company.

John, LOL, that was great. I can see it's a store after my own heart. Some years back, when my husband asked what I'd like for most gift-occasions, I reminded him that small boxes from reputable jewelers are always appropriate.

'Course, he should know this...

Robin Bayne
01-18-2011, 05:57 AM
Thanks! If you wouldn't mind voting for my short story in a reader's poll, please go to:
http://critters.org/predpoll/shortstoryr.shtml (http://critters.org/predpoll/shortstoryr.shtml)

scroll down and look for "Prodigal" by Robin Bayne. I would be so grateful--I'm
tied for first now with someone else.

Robin

Calla Lily
01-18-2011, 06:32 AM
Done. Good luck!

Robin Bayne
01-18-2011, 07:06 PM
thanks so much!

Carradee
01-31-2011, 08:06 PM
I, er, just found this part of the forum. >_> Hi?

Calla Lily
01-31-2011, 08:07 PM
Welcome!

Gravity
01-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Ditto the welcome!

Robin Bayne
02-01-2011, 04:14 AM
:welcome:

heyjude
02-01-2011, 04:17 AM
I, er, just found this part of the forum. >_> Hi?

:hi: Carradee! What do you write?

ETA: After looking at your sig line, I'm guessing fantasy? :D

Deb Kinnard
02-01-2011, 04:44 AM
Welcome, Carradee! You'll find this a small, deeply committed and sometimes slappy group.

Carradee
02-01-2011, 04:08 PM
:hi: Carradee! What do you write?

ETA: After looking at your sig line, I'm guessing fantasy? :D

Yep. :D I do a little sci-fi, but mostly traditional and urban fantasy.

I try to write in a manner appropriate for middle schoolers even when parents might protest some of the themes.

georgeknoechel
02-01-2011, 08:19 PM
I love this sub forum and have not contributed much but love reading. I was working on a manuscript, "If One Should Fall Behind." The former Editor-at-Large, Bob Hostetler said it was, "one of the better manuscripts he had reviewed." I have sat on it since but hope one day to massage it and get it out.

Deb Kinnard
02-06-2011, 02:56 AM
Well, George? Any progress on the MS since the first of the month? If not, GET CRACKING!

LOL. I'm back in full-speed-ahead mode on PEACEWEAVER, and hope to get a proposal to Nelson sometime this spring. If I keep pushing forward, I believe I can make my self-imposed deadline.

Elias Graves
02-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Hi gang. I've posted in other threads here but not this one.
My writing over the years has been nonfiction technical stuff and, more recently, songwriting.
I have carried a story idea with me for years and have finally begun to work on it in earnest. Every time I sit to write, I find I need more research. :) I haven't done so much research since college. :o
Anyway, I find myself become fairly well versed in 1st century history, Rome, Brittannia and now angels and demons. I have collected a couple of notebooks full of material, have outlines fairly well underway, so I feel I'm finally getting somewhere with this.

Anyway, hi!

EG

Gravity
02-08-2011, 01:55 AM
Sounds great, Elias; you've taken the first steps!

Elias Graves
02-08-2011, 03:00 AM
Thanks.
Having a heck of a time figuring how to actually tell the story. I have what I think is a cool way to tell it in first person, though that appears to be out of favor.
To me, it's begging to be told in the form of a "found manuscript" kinda thing. That limits my POV, I know, but given the circumstances of the tale, I think it adds credibility.

My protagonist spends part of the time in the story joined to a demon. That may permit me to tell part of the story from the beast's POV. That might be interesting. What do you think?

EG

David Poellot
02-10-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm jumping into this thread with the intent to encourage other writers, who may be Christian writers or just writers who are Christian, and hoping to find inspiration when my writing bug may be down.

I've thrown a couple threads into this forum looking for guidance and received great advice.

I finished a fantasy novel last year, but no agent wanted to look at it. I don't think I nailed the query down. Now, I'm in the middle of a Christian fiction novel, thus my increased lurking in this forum. I have twenty or so undeveloped ideas covering several genres with progress on a few. I'm really into this current one and just need to make sure I write every day amid the full work schedule and full family schedule with four kids.

I look forward to getting to know you all better.

childoflight
02-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Oh, I love this board!

I finished a fantasy novel last year, but no agent wanted to look at it. I don't think I nailed the query down. Now, I'm in the middle of a Christian fiction novel, thus my increased lurking in this forum. I have twenty or so undeveloped ideas covering several genres with progress on a few. I'm really into this current one and just need to make sure I write every day amid the full work schedule and full family schedule with four kids.
While I have no experience in querying (yet, leastways) I would give you the advice which I have learned through the rummaging of jetsam... okay, articles online (I just thought jetsam would sound more exciting): keep trying. Keep working on new material. Clever chap -- you are! Yup. My best advice: keep writing. Through scores of poetry, short stories, and other such tidbits that serve my fancy, I have found my "voice." I am ever improving (although I'm not sure if that's saying much, as I wasn't superb to begin with). Okay... started to derail there. *coughs* Anyway. I bet you'll do fantastic! Just keep going! Everyone always compares it to running a marathon.. and they're correct! Only, it is your characters that suffer sapped legs. :) I think it's awesome that you finished your fantasy novel -- what an accomplishment! So just keep going. Oh, and a cup of tea and bar of dark chocolate never hurt!

Yep. I do a little sci-fi, but mostly traditional and urban fantasy.
Ah, another fantasy lover! I say as much because I assume that if you write fantasy you must love it. . . Yet there have come to pass days when I look at my ms and think, "Oh goodness, I hate fantasy!" (I have violent mood swings towards my work.:evil) The first thing you must know about me is that I hate inconsistencies, and yet I am whimsical and ever-changing! (And I speak in a british accent half the time. Everything sounds much more profound!) Ah, but in regards to why I occasionally recoil from my ms... Writing is like running. You love it. You hate it. But there exists no happy medium. (Though if anyone ever hears of the formula for such a wonder let me know!)

:hooray:Oh, and a big WELCOME is in order, I believe. :welcome: I hope you stay awhile. I bring with me tidings of tea and crumpets!

Dear goodness, I talk way too much... What a chatty little blighter I am! Just hit the mute button when I've hit the point between chatty and obnoxious. ;)

Calla Lily
02-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Welcome, David! If your fantasy has a Christian bent, you could Q Marcher Lord Press with it.

David Poellot
02-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Welcome, David! If your fantasy has a Christian bent, you could Q Marcher Lord Press with it.

No, the fantasy was the book I've been working on for twenty years. I could give it a Christian bent as I rewrite it. That's something I started doing after the query process failed. I could work on the query, but I think it might be more productive to rewrite the whole thing. I think there are many improvements I can make to that one, if I ever get back to it.

Calla Lily
02-10-2011, 05:13 PM
I know what you mean. I have a trunked dystop spec fic (my first book) that I've rewritten three times, practically top to bottom. I love my villains in this book with a wild and passionate love. My agent said he couldn't do anything with it at the moment, but someday I want to blow the dust off it, rewrite it again, and get it out into the world.

Carradee
02-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Hey, David Poellet: check out Danthia's blog for writers (blog.janicehardy.com)—it's fantastic! I find it the single best resource for fantasy novelist online, hands down. No offense to all those other great ones out there.

I know that Danthia's query-writing tips are what let me come up with the way to write the query to my parallel plot urban fantasy novel. I was stumped on that one for a long time. Now I'm excited about finishing the darn thing so I can let others love the query as much as I do!

Anyway, Childoflight, yep, I'm a fantasy lover, much to the consternation of my parents, who believe it's no more than "childish escapism". My mother was told in college that she was a fantastic writer, and when her teachers recommended it as a career for her, she said "No. Writers love to hate the process. I hate everything about it and the finished result." But she must be where I got my love of writing from.

Gravity
02-11-2011, 01:27 AM
...writers who may be Christian writers or just writers who are Christian...

Interesting delineation, David, and one I totally agree with. Sooner or later a Christian will decide what his or her target audience is, and that decision will guide the story.

As I may have mentioned upthread, my first four novels were geared toward a solidly Christian readership; now with both The Radiance and Relentless, I'm querying general market agents, leading to (hopefully!), general market sales.

David Poellot
02-13-2011, 04:02 AM
Since the title says burn it up, I figure I better post since no one has posted in two days.:D

Carradee - I looked at that site for about two minutes, and it does look like it has valuable information, so I added to my favorites to save for later when I have more time to peruse.

I have an idea for a scene to add to my current WIP, but it's Saturday, which means running all over the place with four kids ranging from 4 yrs old to 16 yrs old. I told my wife I might disappear for a little while tonight, so I can at least write down all my thoughts and try to flesh out the scene. Then, I can go back during my normal writing time of 9-11 pm each night.

ElizaFaith13
02-13-2011, 04:34 AM
Hiya, I don't think I've ever posted here before. I'll have to subscribe to this thread.

Quick bio: Born again, YA writer, gamer, mother, wife and lover of dark chocolate.

I saw this one someone's blog and thought it was pretty neat. It will analyze your writing and tell you who you write like. Apparently, I write like Mark Twain, yay!

http://iwl.me/s/cfe536cd

childoflight
02-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Eliza-- oohhhhh Mark Twain was such an amazing writer.. and I bet you are too!!!

Oh, this is the BEST day of my life... It says I write like J.R.R Tolkien!!!:hooray:

http://iwl.me/b/e51188de

Kersten
02-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Hmmm. It says my sweet little picture book is like Stephen King.

sigh.

David Poellot
02-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Must be a Stephen King answer day. I got the same thing. As much as I'd like to think the quality of my writing could be like Stephen King, I think that is pretty far fetched.

Robin Bayne
02-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Just saying hello and Happy Sunday!

ElizaFaith13
02-14-2011, 05:12 AM
another Sunday that my lazy butt didn't get up for Church. That's the third Sunday I've missed...

Calla Lily
02-14-2011, 06:37 AM
There's a Church of the Nazarene across the street, whose pastor is a walking, talking example of what the Early Church was trying to be. This isn't an idle compliment--I'm decently up on church history and he lives it. For the first few years we knew him, he tried to get me to show up on a Sunday, as one recovering Catholic to another. :) I told him of my checkered past, and that I'd probably end up heckling his sermons, in beween the twitching and the flashbacks. :) He thinks I'm mildly funny, and he finally stopped trying to get me to go through those doors.

Church is an excellent way to worship for millions of believers. I'm just not one of the millions.

This digression brought to you by a long Sunday in which I actually relaxed, amidst the laundry and cooking.

David Poellot
02-14-2011, 07:07 AM
Church is an excellent way to worship for millions of believers. I'm just not one of the millions.

Although it's a comedy, Dogma, makes a point of saying that no where in the Bible does it say that you should worship in a building. Just that you should worship. Something like that. I really like that movie.

Of course, I do try to go to church every Sunday. I feel very strongly about attending church every Sunday, but I know that I don't get out of it what I used to. And, I don't spend nearly as much time there as I did in my twenties. I used to be church treasurer, youth group leader, member of church council, etc., etc., etc. Right now, all we do is attend. But, I see it as an aide to help my children learn about Jesus.

I'm not sure what my parents did right in raising me, but I give them credit for raising four children who all have bachelor's degrees and all attend church regularly on Sunday. I attribute two things that my parents did in raising me that produced these results. I didn't realize how out of the ordinary we were until I was older. First, we attended church together as a family every Sunday. Secondly, we ate dinner together every night together as a family. I am a much stricter parent than my parents were, but I also try to have everyone eat dinner together every night and we always attend church on Sunday together as a family. My children attend Sunday School, and hopefully they are getting taught about Jesus in church in ways that I am not able to teach them at home.

But, occasionally, it is so nice to sleep in on a Sunday. I still get a kick out of skipping church and sleeping. Is that so wrong? :D

Calla Lily
02-14-2011, 07:16 AM
I love Dogma. The first time we let our older son see it (at age 16), we had to keep stopping it to explain all the Catholic stuff. The movie is so much better when you know the rules they're lampooning.

Kersten
02-14-2011, 07:28 AM
I have been everything at church from sunday school teacher to lay councilor to youth pastor.... and after I had seen the inside of church workings up-close, God moved me out of traditional church into house church situations.

I can fairly say that I will never be involved in spending money on buildings and dealing with the politics of a church hierarchy again. Thank God. Because all of that has *nothing* to do with following Jesus.

I have just come through a very emotionally trying time in which I lost my church. I was in a situation with a nephew living with me who had to have his immune system completely suppressed-- so, no visitors in my house for a year. During that year, my house church people moved away, and for two more years I had people living with me who would have made having house church in my home next to impossible.

But now! I am ready to go again. I am asking the Lord to gather a group of like-minded, creative people. Maybe a writer's church. :)

Kersten

David Poellot
02-14-2011, 08:51 AM
The movie is so much better when you know the rules they're lampooning.

I'm with you there. Since I married a Catholic, I crack up whenever they start talking about the "dogma" stuff. The airport scene with the nun is awesome.

Kersten - I know what you're saying about the politics, and that is the main reason I have not become involved with the inner workings of the church, since I moved away from Illinois. My wife also played a part, since she didn't care for all the time I was away from home. The way I looked at it, at least I wasn't in a bar or with another woman. I was at church, so how much trouble could I get into?

There are good people in the church, and there are great pastors in there, but you really have to look for them. Most times, you find the people with the agendas, and that just gets too discouraging.

Short story - my favorite cousin is married to a Lutheran pastor, and I love my cousin. But, the last time they stayed with us, it didn't go well. Firstly, he approached my wife in the morning before church and berated her for listening to secular music prior to church. Then, in church he looked over at my cousin after the sermon, and she checked her watch. They were timing our pastor's sermon. After church, my cousin-in-law asked me, "Does your pastor always talk down there among the people rather than from the pulpit?"

See, he's one of the bad ones. He's more concerned with timing of sermons and the fact that the pastor is not lording himself over the congregation rather than among them. He's very political, and I can see him ending up in the church administration in St. Louis, rather than working with people as pastors should strive to do.

I imagine I will get involved with the church again, after the kids are out of the house, but I'm pretty easy going, and if it gets too political, I'll just distance myself and concentrate on attending service and not trying to make the church better. I want to help the church grow, but I don't care for how some of the people treat the church like it is a company and they are investors. They're missing the purpose of the church completely.

Carradee
02-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Although it's a comedy, Dogma, makes a point of saying that no where in the Bible does it say that you should worship in a building. Just that you should worship. Something like that. I really like that movie.

Scripture does say to fellowship with believers, and takes for granted that believers will gather together, though I do agree that it needn't be in a specific building.

The Sabbath is meant to be a day of rest and worship. I've slept instead of going to service—did that yesterday evening, in fact—when I'm sick. And some secular music is far better than some Christian music.

I also ignore all church politics. My pastor's a fantastic preacher. He has his faults, but perfection won't exist this side of Heaven.

ElizaFaith13
02-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Me and my mom got kicked out of a church when I was younger (bad experience), and it screwed me up for awhile, but now I love going to church, because I see God move. There is nothing like being surrounded by your brethren and having the holy spirit sweep through. I go to a more conservative church, and the pastor is so filled with the spirit that sometimes I feel God is speaking directly to me-and that means your in the right place.

Jesus was very specfic when it came to church Do not forsake the brethren. How many of us would sit in our house, if there was no physcially place to go to on Sunday? I know I probably would...

Kersten
02-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Yes, we are to gather. But two or more and the Lord will do. :) I don't think other people *shouldn't* go to church. Go wherever the Spirit leads you.

But if your 'church' is meeting at a coffee house or bar with two other believers, that's fine, too. And it is exciting.

I have been a Christian for over 35 years; I read, study pray, value fellowship of mature believers and encourage young believers. I love worship. But... I haven't heard a sermon in years that I hadn't heard in some form or even given myself. I just don't like to sit there and be talked at.

As a youth pastor, I learned a lot about raising young people up to be what God called them to be. In the early church *everyone* was expected to come with a message, a teaching or a contribution. The Spirit worked through all of the people. I saw the Spirit mature youth amazingly when we practiced this.

You don't have the same dynamic in large congregations. The model there is to sit back and be ministered to by those with training or talent. Real body life *does* happen in small groups within the larger context of church, of course. And some people have real, vital and living relationships in context of traditional church. I would never tell them to walk away from that. Church is about relationship.

But I prefer a much more interactive model of fellowship and accountability.

I am a wild-woods Christian.

:) Kersten

David Poellot
02-15-2011, 04:33 AM
Me and my mom got kicked out of a church when I was younger (bad experience)

That always sticks in my craw. I don't condone divorce, but Catholics won't let you get married in their church if you've been divorced. Why do churches turn people away? Especially today, when so many churches are struggling to get consistent members. I say welcome everyone with open arms.

Calla Lily
02-15-2011, 05:38 AM
You radical, you. :D

I was de facto excommunicated when I married Mr. Lily. The irate priest actually said I'd be excommunicated and go to hell because I was marrying a divorced Lutheran in a Lutheran church. Eh. I really left Catholicism when I left the convent anyway.

Y'all would love the little church across the street from me. Srsly. It's a great place for worshiping and helping others.

Kersten
02-15-2011, 08:27 AM
Callalily, did Mr. Lily start dating you while you were a nun? Or, were you an un-nun by then? It sounds like you have had a very good life for a a writer.

Oh -- and I do enjoy small churches. So long as nobody makes me sit through a sermon.

David Poellot
02-15-2011, 08:56 AM
So long as nobody makes me sit through a sermon.

Y'know, my current WIP came from a story that our pastor told in a sermon. I admit I don't pay attention as much to the sermons as I used to, but this one Sunday, I was listening, and it was a cute little story. Well, I took that cute little story and have now written over 30,000 words on it. So, maybe I didn't get what I was supposed to out of that sermon, but I did get something.

Also, now I pay more attention to the sermons. You never know when another idea might spring from something I heard in a sermon.;)

Chuckles
02-15-2011, 09:09 AM
lol, Catholics.

Excommunicating people should be a gift not a punishment. :-P

Not only will they not let you marry in a Catholic church, if you're not Catholic they won't let you die in one either.

Silly Catholics, cliques are for kids. (sorry, it just popped in my head, had to do it!)

On that note, I go to church every week, play in the band in fact. The pastor is amazing and clearly gets his word from God and the bible. My church is really big, but I've been to everything down to a house church and churches with dirt floors in Jamaica, its all about who's in the house, not what the house is made of! I do agree that is about the people, not the place. The "Church" is a thing, not a place!

side note: I'm glad to see that I've got some fellow Christian writers here!

Calla Lily
02-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Callalily, did Mr. Lily start dating you while you were a nun? Or, were you an un-nun by then? It sounds like you have had a very good life for a a writer.

LOL--I was long out of the convent before I met Mr. Lily. "un-nun"--like ie. :)

*puts on Mod hat*
Chuckles, you're new here, so you get one pass. Make sure to read the Newbie guide, which emphasizes the one real rule at AW: Respect Your Fellow Writer. Especially here in the Christian forum, that means respecting other religions. If you have issues with Catholicism, then reasoned debate is a good thing. After all, we're writers. :)
*takes off Mod hat*

And welcome to AW. What do you write?

David Poellot
02-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Silly Catholics, cliques are for kids. (sorry, it just popped in my head, had to do it!)

LOL I like that one!

I can't make fun of Catholics??? But, every time I'm with my in-laws that's the majority of my contribution to the conversation.:evil

Just kidding, callalily. I'll be good.

Welcome, Chuckles! I'm liking this thread more and more because it's bringing more Christian writers in.

Calla Lily
02-15-2011, 05:20 PM
I can still wield a ruler with pinpoint accuracy. It's the teaching nun version of riding a bike. Just sayin'.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRl2RWVz_mFPmTGcmut0sAPLgooLmb7I 11aceSjWOs-XxNkIpzK

ETA: Honestly, this is one of the easiest rooms to mod. :)

Kersten
02-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Y'know, my current WIP came from a story that our pastor told in a sermon. I admit I don't pay attention as much to the sermons as I used to, but this one Sunday, I was listening, and it was a cute little story. Well, I took that cute little story and have now written over 30,000 words on it. So, maybe I didn't get what I was supposed to out of that sermon, but I did get something.

Also, now I pay more attention to the sermons. You never know when another idea might spring from something I heard in a sermon.;)

C.S. Lewis used to go to church every Sunday, stay for the liturgy, and get up and leave just before the sermon. If he had been as popular in the UK as he was in the US, this would probably have been devastating to the preacher. But he wasn't. He was just another podgy prof in a town of profs.

Kersten

Chuckles
02-16-2011, 08:07 PM
I write speculative fiction (I just learned what that even means! lol... such a noob), if I can ever manage to finish something it'll be a miracle.

As to the disrespect of Catholics, I didn't mean to come off that way. I pretty much make fun of everything (including myself) on an hourly basis, I'm sarcastic by nature. I often forget that when I'm the new guy people won't realize that.

I'll do better oh mighty mod of ruler wielding might (and power). :D

Jewely
02-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Greetings,
What a great thread. This gang is a crack up. It's nice to see so many believers with a sense of humor. I have a good friend who is a Catholic, and I'm always picking apart some of the traditions to find out where they rooted from. I attend a small church, but my favorite time is when we stay home with our kids and have church at home. We read from the Bible and talk about scripture. Great fun!

Kersten
02-17-2011, 03:56 AM
Nice to meet you, Jewelry! What do you write?

Kersten

David Poellot
02-17-2011, 04:10 AM
This gang is a crack up.

Cool! We're a gang!

So, are we the Greasers or the Socs? Wait, do I have to grease my hair? I really don't want to. Or, do I have to wear a certain colored bandana? I really don't want to do that either. Can we have a cool hand sign, though? I'd like that.

Welcome, Jewely! I'll try not to be this annoying all the time.

Chuckles
02-17-2011, 06:23 AM
Can our cool hand sign be a mix of this :hooray: and this :snoopy: ? we would be the coolest gang ever!

Robin Bayne
02-17-2011, 06:42 PM
\ / TODAY'S VERSE from HEARTLIGHT -- http://www.heartlight.org/ (http://www.mail2web.com/cgi-bin/redir.asp?lid=0&newsite=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eheartlight%2Eorg%2F)

February 17, 2011

VERSE:
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he
may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because
he cares for you.
-- 1 Peter 5:6-7

THOUGHT:
In a universe so incomparably vast, in a world so marvelously
diverse, we can be paralyzed by our presumed insignificance and
impotence in the face of such staggering enormity. But in moments
of simple faith, we can be calmed by our reverence and dependence
upon the Creator and Sustainer of such wonders. We can find great
comfort that our lives are in his hands. We can rejoice that he has
promised to bless and guide our efforts in him.

Kersten
02-18-2011, 07:38 AM
Thank you, Inspiewriter -- that was helpful for me today.

Kersten

ElizaFaith13
02-19-2011, 06:42 AM
looking at my 19 month old son pull apart a banana and throw it on the floor I wonder what Jesus was like at that age.

David Poellot
02-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Careful where you step. It could turn out like one of those cartoons.

heyjude
02-19-2011, 04:16 PM
:hi: to all our new friends! It's great to see so many new people here. :)

Sorry for everyone who's had a bad experience with churches. I joined the staff of a church several months ago and I have to admit I was nervous about the politics, but I'm pleasantly relieved. It's been so good.

looking at my 19 month old son pull apart a banana and throw it on the floor I wonder what Jesus was like at that age.

Ha! I often wonder the same thing. :)

Shuemais
02-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Sorry for everyone who's had a bad experience with churches. I joined the staff of a church several months ago and I have to admit I was nervous about the politics, but I'm pleasantly relieved. It's been so good.

Here's hoping that your experiences stay as calm as they are now. My father worked for ~5-6 years as the executive minister of a church, only to be forced out somewhat abruptly when a new pastor came on-staff. Sometimes office politics can be the least of your worries. :rant:

I haven't posted in this particular thread as of yet. Good to know there are some like-minded folks out and about. /wave

ElizaFaith13
02-20-2011, 02:11 AM
ugh..having one of those really grumpy days, kinda hate everything. I've already been mean to my husband, and if I had a bottle of wine, I'd probably drink the whole thing.

The sad part is, nothing's wrong in my life...

Calla Lily
02-20-2011, 02:12 AM
Be mean to your MC. That's what I do. :evil

ElizaFaith13
02-20-2011, 02:20 AM

LOL Thanks Cal! That put a smile on my face. I actually was able to get out a really good scene for my ms. She caught her bf hooking up with her arch rival, and then got into a car accident. I think her day is pretty sucky compared to mine.

David Poellot
02-20-2011, 02:21 AM
Cheer up, Eliza! Things will get better. For me, I have a hot date with my wife tonight. Maybe, you should see if your husband wants to go on a date. A few weeks ago, I came to a revelation that my wife and I needed to start dating again. With four kids and two full-time jobs, it's so easy to caught up in being a parent and a worker, that we forget about being a husband or a wife. Luckily for us, we have a 13 yr old or a 16 yr old who can stay home with the 10 yr old and the 4 yr old, so babysitting is cheap.

ElizaFaith13
02-20-2011, 02:41 AM
Cheer up, Eliza! Things will get better. For me, I have a hot date with my wife tonight. Maybe, you should see if your husband wants to go on a date. A few weeks ago, I came to a revelation that my wife and I needed to start dating again. With four kids and two full-time jobs, it's so easy to caught up in being a parent and a worker, that we forget about being a husband or a wife. Luckily for us, we have a 13 yr old or a 16 yr old who can stay home with the 10 yr old and the 4 yr old, so babysitting is cheap.

That's probably a good idea. We haven't been out in awhile. He'll be out late tonight, and are schedules conflict until about Tuesday.

I think my mood stems from one thing...distance from God. I haven't had any praise/worshipping, or real prayer time, in awhile. I haven't felt his presence in weeks. Hmm, maybe I should stop moping around and put on some Jars of Clay...

Robin Bayne
02-20-2011, 05:35 AM
Ha! I often wonder the same thing. :)

Me too!

Robin Bayne
02-20-2011, 05:36 AM

I did that today!:D

ElizaFaith13
02-20-2011, 06:48 AM
My 19 month old son curled up onto my lap and fell asleep, and that bad mood, yea it's gone.

Calla Lily
02-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Aww. :) I miss those days.

My oldest is 19 years. No curling up anymore. I'm waiting for him to get married and spawn so I can cuddle a grandbaby. Hopefully after he graduates college and gets a job and such. :rolleyes:

ElizaFaith13
02-20-2011, 08:01 AM
I think at 19 I'll try to curl up on his lap!

undergods
02-20-2011, 08:39 AM
oh wow, thanks elizafaith! Nice to find a stomping ground!

Don't know where the "hello" section is, so, hello, everybody. Glad to have been led here.

hey, elizafaith, do you like my avatar here?

ElizaFaith13
02-20-2011, 08:59 AM
oh wow, thanks elizafaith! Nice to find a stomping ground!

Don't know where the "hello" section is, so, hello, everybody. Glad to have been led here.

hey, elizafaith, do you like my avatar here?

and yes, I see you've come to your senses :tongue

David Poellot
02-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Welcome, undergods!

Jewely
02-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Nice to meet you, Jewelry! What do you write?

Kersten

I hope I didn't keep you hanging too long...I write suspense novels.

Jewely
02-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Cool! We're a gang!

So, are we the Greasers or the Socs? Wait, do I have to grease my hair? I really don't want to. Or, do I have to wear a certain colored bandana? I really don't want to do that either. Can we have a cool hand sign, though? I'd like that.

Welcome, Jewely! I'll try not to be this annoying all the time.

Thanks for the welcome. Although the image in my head is scary, you go right ahead and slick back your hair, roll up a pack of cigs in your t-shirt sleeve, and drape a pink bandana from your back pocket. My only question is... are you going to break out in song?

David Poellot
02-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Pink is not really my color, and I save my singing voice for church.:D

Edit: saved for church, so it's drowned out by the organ and others.

Calla Lily
02-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Just popping in on a very long workday to say that what's getting me through this week is: kiddo and I are going to a DMHO concert this Saturday! :hooray: It's been 7 months since they came within a 2-hour driving distance.

What especially nice is they're a horn band, which = LOUD, and since they actively encourage people to sing along, no one can hear themselves. (Okay, I can sing, but kiddo is a little melody-challenged. :D What can I say? He's a musician. Violinists aren't supposed to open their mouths.)

Chuckles
02-22-2011, 03:07 AM
He's a musician. Violinists aren't supposed to open their mouths.

Exactly why I play Bass, no vocals needed. :D

David Poellot
02-22-2011, 04:39 AM
Sorry, I don't know the reference. DMHO = ???

Calla Lily
02-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Denver and the Mile High Orchestra (http://www.denvermho.com). If you click on my website linky in my sig, I have a page with the articles I wrote when I was part of a choir touring with them for Christmas. Yes, I am a total fangirl. At my age, too. :tongue

Elias Graves
02-23-2011, 01:26 AM
Didn't know we had musicians here.
I'm a guitar and trumpet player as well as a songwriter.

Back to writing...
If a character is possessed by a demon and keeps a journal, can the demon make entries on his own and cloud the mind of the author so he doesn't realize they are there?

EG

Calla Lily
02-23-2011, 02:30 AM
Why not just keep a second journal that he can only get to when he possesses the human?

ElizaFaith13
02-23-2011, 04:41 AM
Didn't know we had musicians here.
I'm a guitar and trumpet player as well as a songwriter.

Back to writing...
If a character is possessed by a demon and keeps a journal, can the demon make entries on his own and cloud the mind of the author so he doesn't realize they are there?

EG

It depends on how possessed they are. Certain possessions can manifest as schizophrenia. In that case, they wouldn't know.

David Poellot
02-23-2011, 05:40 AM
Okay, the first book I bought from the Christian fiction section has proved to be a big loser. I put it down after 100 pages. This was some of the worst writing I've read. If you want a recommendation, then I don't recommend Conspiracy in Kiev by Noel Hynd.

ElizaFaith13
02-23-2011, 06:14 AM
first Christian fiction ever?

If you haven't already, This Present Darkness & Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretti are amazing.

David Poellot
02-23-2011, 07:07 AM
Well, I did read The Shack, but y'know now that I know more about the author, I'm not sure about the Christian fiction part, but I guess so. I'll check the book jackets on Peretti the next time I'm at B&N. Thanks for the recommendation!

ElizaFaith13
02-23-2011, 08:19 AM
Ted Dekker is also a really good Christian Writer. He writes thrillers/suspense novels. He's got a YA series that I loved.

I do not consider the shack, Christian fiction. You have to be very careful when you go to B&N. If you notice the new age/wicca section is right next to Christian fiction. I always find books mixed in that shouldn't be (and yea, I move them, lol)

David Poellot
02-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Ted Dekker is also a really good Christian Writer. He writes thrillers/suspense novels. He's got a YA series that I loved.

I do not consider the shack, Christian fiction. You have to be very careful when you go to B&N. If you notice the new age/wicca section is right next to Christian fiction. I always find books mixed in that shouldn't be (and yea, I move them, lol)

I try to read the jackets and maybe the first few pages to avoid that mix-up. I'll add Dekker to the list also, but I'm not much of a YA reader outside of Harry Potter.

Kersten
02-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Well, I did read The Shack, but y'know now that I know more about the author, I'm not sure about the Christian fiction part, but I guess so. I'll check the book jackets on Peretti the next time I'm at B&N. Thanks for the recommendation!

I wasn't keen on The Shack, but know very little about the author. Why wouldn't
you consider it Christian fiction?

Calla Lily
02-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Ooh, someone wants recommendations! *ahem* Allow me to pimp my favoritest author on the planet: Tracy Groot. She has 3 books out now: The Brother's Keeper, Stones of My Accusers, and Madman. I grovel at her keyboard. The first one is :Hail:, the second is fine (just couldn't live up to the first), and the third is :Hail: :Hail:. She has a new one coming out in 2012--set during WW2, IIRC.

Also, the team of Randy Ingermanson/John Olson.Their first was Oxygen. Quite good space travel suspense. The sequel title's slipped my mind, but it was also very good.

Honestly, if you're not sure about a book/author, try the library. I practically live in my local library, and for a quarter, I can get any book from any library in our wide system. Much cheaper than gas $$ to drive around to the branches. I first found Groot's books in the library, and then bought them when I wanted to reread them.

I'm not a fan of Dekker (personal tastes), and I liked early Peretti (the two Eliza mentioned above), but nothing recent. Monster ruined it for me, and don't mention the Dekker/Peretti collaboration House. The only reason I didn't throw both of those against the wall was that they were library books.

Peretti's gotten way too preachy for me. I despise preachy. He's talented, too. It makes me sad.

David Poellot
02-23-2011, 04:59 PM
I wasn't keen on The Shack, but know very little about the author. Why wouldn't
you consider it Christian fiction?

Eh, I'm not sure. It could be the more I've read about the author and maybe his intent wasn't to be a Christian book, but still not sure.

I do like what I took away from reading the book, which was I should try to talk to Jesus like a friend, rather than praying to a God. My prayers should be just me and Jesus having a conversation. I did like the book, although **spoiler** I was really uncomfortable with having a daughter stolen and killed. But, I guess no one would be comfortable with that. It just made me hug my daughter more.

Gravity
02-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Ooh, someone wants recommendations! *ahem* Allow me to pimp my favoritest author on the planet: Tracy Groot. She has 3 books out now: The Brother's Keeper, Stones of My Accusers, and Madman. I grovel at her keyboard. The first one is :Hail:, the second is fine (just couldn't live up to the first), and the third is :Hail: :Hail:. She has a new one coming out in 2012--set during WW2, IIRC.

Also, the team of Randy Ingermanson/John Olson.Their first was Oxygen. Quite good space travel suspense. The sequel title's slipped my mind, but it was also very good.

Honestly, if you're not sure about a book/author, try the library. I practically live in my local library, and for a quarter, I can get any book from any library in our wide system. Much cheaper than gas $$ to drive around to the branches. I first found Groot's books in the library, and then bought them when I wanted to reread them.

I'm not a fan of Dekker (personal tastes), and I liked early Peretti (the two Eliza mentioned above), but nothing recent. Monster ruined it for me, and don't mention the Dekker/Peretti collaboration House. The only reason I didn't throw both of those against the wall was that they were library books.

Peretti's gotten way too preachy for me. I despise preachy. He's talented, too. It makes me sad.

I'll need to check out Tracy's stuff, Calla. Plus Randy's a friend of mine (as are some other Really Big Names, whom I'm still amazed let me into their cirlcle); Randy will appreciate the nice words you gave him.

But still, no one ever mentions my stuff. :tongue

Calla Lily
02-23-2011, 07:54 PM
*hides head* I've only read the excerpt from your new book that was on your site, John.

Elias Graves
02-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Why not just keep a second journal that he can only get to when he possesses the human?

Perhaps.
Thanks. I'll play with some ideas.

EG

Gravity
02-23-2011, 09:17 PM
*hides head* I've only read the excerpt from your new book that was on your site, John.

:D Not a problem, Calla. All three of my Joe Box books are OOP now (but are available on Kindle for three bucks a pop), and my latest, Heading Home, is dying a slow death. Truth to tell, HH will be my last Christian novel; since 5 January I've been querying secular agents and houses for my two newest works, so we'll see.

Kersten
02-24-2011, 01:41 AM
Truth to tell, HH will be my last Christian novel; since 5 January I've been querying secular agents and houses for my two newest works, so we'll see.

Go, Gravity! I believe STRONGLY in Christian authors publishing in the general market. So much so, that about two years ago I stopped publishing in the Christian market and focused exclusively on the general market myself.

I write books for children and YA, but my publishers-- Viking and Clarion -- have not batted an eye at my Christian content. It's not "accept Jesus now" stuff, but characters living and praying and seeking.

Kersten

Gravity
02-24-2011, 01:50 AM
That direction is exactly the one I've taken, Kersten! Now, if I can only find a house that agrees with that ... *G*

Chuckles
02-24-2011, 03:33 AM
Christian market is for Christian people, and Jesus was for everybody else. :D

I hope if I ever get published its in the General Market. Christians tend to look in the general market, but general people don't tend to look in the Christian market, call me greedy, I would want lots of people to browse my book and buy it. LOL

Kersten
02-24-2011, 03:54 AM
That direction is exactly the one I've taken, Kersten! Now, if I can only find a house that agrees with that ... *G*

:)

Doug Tennapel, in the prologue to his adult horror noir graphic novel Black Cherry, explains it perfectly:

"Modern stories have made sweeping efforts to hide or show embarrassment regarding our religious identity…I refuse to bow to their pressure for the same reason I don't remove the F–word from my dialog…because my job is to tell the truth. Mobsters, strippers, gang–bangers and priests have deep theological thoughts about their religious experience and so do my characters."

Yes. That's it exactly. Human beings think about these things. And characters should as well.

A writer's job is to tell the truth--

And the truth about the history of Christianity is sometimes brilliant, sometimes confusing, and sometimes downright horrific. We can't turn away from any of it if we are going to tell that truth.

The truth about our own faith walk can be very unsettling, too.

One of the things I had difficulty with in the Christian market was the fact that some publishers would not accept the fact of Christian weakness, fear, or doubt.

Oddly, I had trouble telling true stories there.

:( K

Kersten
02-24-2011, 04:00 AM
Christian market is for Christian people, and Jesus was for everybody else. :D

To a point. :)

David Poellot
02-24-2011, 04:31 AM
Well, in my current WIP, I can't see it taken any other way than Christian fiction. So, I think I'll be limited to the Christian market, but that doesn't mean I will only query agents who specialize in Christian fiction.

Kersten
02-24-2011, 09:30 PM
David, your last post as well as the post about The Shack bring up the question: What do you consider Christian fiction?

I did go read quite a bit about and by the author of The Shack, and he was describing his own faith walk in parable -- teaching his children about God in the book.

Why wouldn't that be as much Christian fiction as say, C.S. Lewis' Perilandra, or Eugene Peterson's short stories like The Rag Man, or Flannery O'Conner's A Good Man is Hard to Find?

And...why is your current wip Christian fiction?

I would love to discuss where we, as writers, draw the lines, and why.

Calla Lily
02-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Honestly, every book labeled "Christian fic" that I've seen, read, and reviewed had one universal element.

Preaching.

Sometimes it's subtle and done well. Like when characters are discussing morals or making important choices. Sometimes it's like a sledgehammer, with blatant author intrusion. One book comes to mind (I won't out the title here) for the latter example: It was very well-written, a little heavy handed in spots, but with excellent character and plot. Then about 7/8 of the way through, the author decided they had to get a MESSAGE across to the reader. The message was quite obvious, and I was getting it easily from the story. Then WHAM WHAM WHAM. Come to JESUS! You must FORGIVE! You must BE BAPTIZED! You must NEVER forget the GREAT COMMISSION!

:mad: Ruined the book completely. I quit reading Christian fic shortly after that, because every subsequent example I picked up was written with the same sledgehammer.

Now, I haven't read Gravity's books, or Deb Kinnard's books. I would bet hard cash that they don't use a sledgehammer. :) My own books are written for the mainstream market. I don't write with any message in mind--other than to entertain the reader. Some of my characters happen to be Christian. Others aren't. Sometimes the Christians are the *gasp* bad guys. I have the freedom to write these kinds of characters, and I like that. If I were operating out of the Great Commission, then people who wouldn't normally pick up something in the Christian section might pick up my book, and see a message. But I'm not pushing a message, and I'm just here to make you forget RL for a few hours.

/soapbox.

Elias Graves
02-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Kersten:
While not directed at me, I'd like to put into words the approach I'm taking on the current work. My protagonist, of Druidic extrection, is raised as something of a mystic and a believer in the Roman pantheon. He learned of Christ through Peter in Rome and initially viewed Him as another foreign god among many who gain a presence in Rome. Roman fascination with Judaism is well noted and that they would ONLY worship their own God was a bizarre and intriguing concept to many Romans.
Felix (protagonist) is a slave who works for a Roman historian. A Roman historian in his day was akin to our concept of a journalist and many were "beat writers," specializing in this or that. Religions was the field of choice for my historian. Felix is sent to do leg work on the Christians for an upcoming piece and Felix, being a mystic, "sees" the Spirit in Peter and comes to believe....in a way. He doesn't immediately reject his old beliefs, but folds them in to what he already believes. Peter scolds him for this.
Anyway, the crux of the story winds up being a hunt for a demon. Satan's "brother" to be exact, who has been in hiding since the rebellion. Felix is chosen to do the job and is tasked to walk the earth as long as it takes...which winds up being 2,000 years.
Well, I don't mean to give a whole synopsis here, so the point is that Felix gradually becomes a believer and goes through many crises of faith along the way. The entire story is steeped in religion, populated by religious types (both good and bad) and tells a side story to many we already know.
I do not approach this from any evangelical perspective. Instead, I'm using the model of many police stories. They are populated by police, set in the department, etc, however, there is never any aspect of "preaching" the law to the reader. The setting simply is the setting and the characters are who they are. They aren't trying to convince the reader to repent and become an officer. :) it's just a story.
Hope that makes some sense.

EG

Kersten
02-25-2011, 05:42 AM
Elias -- that sounds like an excellent book. :) Are you looking for a publisher, or an agent? Wait...are you still working on it?

CallaLilly-- but if overt 'preaching' is the definition, that would leave out acknowledged Christian fiction classics such as Narnia, Phantasies, Lilith, The Princess and the Goblin, The Brothers Karamazov, and many, many others....including many parables of Jesus such as the Good Samaritan and the Prodigal Son. Like many of the books I've mentioned, Jesus' stories tuned his hearers hearts to the heart of God. But they didn't "preach".

Calla Lily
02-25-2011, 06:35 AM
CallaLilly-- but if overt 'preaching' is the definition, that would leave out acknowledged Christian fiction classics such as Narnia, Phantasies, Lilith, The Princess and the Goblin, The Brothers Karamazov, and many, many others....including many parables of Jesus such as the Good Samaritan and the Prodigal Son. Like many of the books I've mentioned, Jesus' stories tuned his hearers hearts to the heart of God. But they didn't "preach".

Kersten, I was referring to current C-fic on the shelves. Of course I'm not referring to Jesus' parables. :) (Um... some of which as transcribed by the writers of the Gospels did get a bit preachy. :o )

The publishing world was like an alien planet when Lewis and MacDonald and Solzhenitzen (sp?) published their books from what it is today. I find Lewis preachy, too, unfortunately. Expecially in the Narnia books and the SF trilogy. (I recognize that this isn't a popular opinion to hold.:Shrug:) I doubt Narnia would be on today's mainstream shelves if Lewis was looking for a publisher today. It's too blatant.

But you touched on my issue with most of current C-fic: As I said above, I've read quite a bit. What I've read seems mostly to be sermons thinly coated with story, like enteric aspirins are coated so they don't upset your stomach.

I want to yell at the books on the shelf: Just tell me a good story! I'm not in B&N looking for an altar call.

I'm not out to convert anyone with my books. I'm out to give them a pleasant read. (I'm never out to convert anyone, anyway. Years of being a 24/7 advertisement for Christianity gave me a permanent dislike for proselytization.

Bah. Sorry. I'm on the soapbox again. I'll shut up now.

David Poellot
02-25-2011, 07:12 AM
David, your last post as well as the post about The Shack bring up the question: What do you consider Christian fiction?

I'm not really sure. I'm still learning. I think my current WIP would be considered Christian fiction, but I don't think it's preachy. Of course, that's up to the reader to decide. It's more of a coming to Jesus story, but not forcing the reader to do as or believe like the MC does.

That's my argument for the DaVinci Code. I thought it was a great read, but anyone who took away from it that it was fact just cracked me up. They won't believe a book that's been around for two thousand years, but if Dan Brown says that Jesus was married and had kids, then it has to be true. Dogma said the same thing, but I don't think people believed that, because IT WAS A MOVIE!

This book I tried recently was an espionage story, which I enjoy, but with a Christian focus. It wasn't the Christian part that turned me off. It was the poor writing.

I'd like to try more Christian fiction, so I get a better understanding of it, and I will try some of the suggestions given here. I'm not trying to offend with my comments about The Shack. I think it's a great read too.

Calla Lily
02-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Actually, Dogma said that Mary and Joseph had a bunch of kids after Jesus was born. :) (Which goes against Catholic teaching.) I love that movie.

Chuckles
02-25-2011, 07:26 AM
I'm going to have to look at some of these titles that are being suggested. My only problem with reading is when I read I get creative, when I get creative I usually start into character sketches and painting, and that takes up hours of time, and I never get any reading done! LOL.

I just want to say I'm really glad I found this place.

David Poellot
02-25-2011, 08:06 AM
Actually, Dogma said that Mary and Joseph had a bunch of kids after Jesus was born. :) (Which goes against Catholic teaching.) I love that movie.

Yep, you're right. You would think as many times as I've watched that movie that I wouldn't miss that. Now, I can picture Snape :tongue saying, "You're the great, great, great, etc....grandNIECE" How could I forget that?

But, Catholics don't think that Mary and Joseph had more children? I thought that was in the Bible somewhere.

David Poellot
02-25-2011, 08:07 AM
I'm going to have to look at some of these titles that are being suggested. My only problem with reading is when I read I get creative, when I get creative I usually start into character sketches and painting, and that takes up hours of time, and I never get any reading done! LOL.

I just want to say I'm really glad I found this place.

I tend to be my most creative when I read Stephen King. That's either cool or scary.

And, we're glad to have you here!

Carradee
02-25-2011, 04:27 PM
But, Catholics don't think that Mary and Joseph had more children? I thought that was in the Bible somewhere.

Yeah, Roman Catholics believe that Mary was perpetually a virgin. That's why they call her "Virgin Mary." (I specify Roman Catholics b/c I'm not sure about the Byzantine Catholic/Greek Orthodox side of the Great Schism.)

And yes, the Scripture mentions Jesus siblings in several points, sometimes by name. I just ran a quick Google search, and this site (http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/faq/sisters.html) has a large list of verses mentioning Christ's siblings.

HonestBabe
02-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Hey there Christian fiction writers and readers: What's good out there in Christian fiction these days? I'm looking to read mysterious Christian fiction (nothing sappy or preachy and no vampires, please). Any recommendations? HonestBabe.

Calla Lily
02-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Welcome, HonestBabe!

As for mysterious fic: Gravity's books. Check his sigline.

Calla Lily
02-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Yep, you're right. You would think as many times as I've watched that movie that I wouldn't miss that. Now, I can picture Snape :tongue saying, "You're the great, great, great, etc....grandNIECE" How could I forget that?

The RCC's official interpretation of the few passages in the NT that mention Jesus' brothers and sisters is that the writers really meant "cousins."

I don't want this to turn into a discussion on Greek syntax vs. familial structures in ancient times, so I'll shut up now. :) Besides, I don't speak or read Greek.

David Poellot
02-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Hey there Christian fiction writers and readers: What's good out there in Christian fiction these days? I'm looking to read mysterious Christian fiction (nothing sappy or preachy and no vampires, please). Any recommendations? HonestBabe.

Welcome, HonestBabe!

Vampires in Christian fic??? I don't think I've come across that yet, and I'm not sure how I'd take it if I did.:)

Gravity
02-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Welcome, HonestBabe!

As for mysterious fic: Gravity's books. Check his sigline.

Why, thank you, my dear! :D

Robin Bayne
02-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Now, I haven't read Gravity's books, or Deb Kinnard's books. I would bet hard cash that they don't use a sledgehammer.
/soapbox.

Have read books by both of these writers and there is nothing preachy there-just good story telling.

Kersten
02-26-2011, 12:14 AM

You could try my Urban Fantasy Tyger Tyger which came out last fall. ;)

Kersten
02-26-2011, 12:17 AM
But you touched on my issue with most of current C-fic: As I said above, I've read quite a bit. What I've read seems mostly to be sermons thinly coated with story, like enteric aspirins are coated so they don't upset your stomach.

We're on the same page, Lilly. Only....I don't call it "Christian writing." Just bad writing!

Elias Graves
02-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Elias -- that sounds like an excellent book. :) Are you looking for a publisher, or an agent? Wait...are you still working on it?

In progress. The research alone dwarfs any project I ever had in college. :)

It's been fun and enlightening so far, although the demonic research is responsible for a few bad dreams, I'm afraid. Some of that stuff is intense.

EG

Kersten
02-26-2011, 03:54 AM
In progress. The research alone dwarfs any project I ever had in college. :)

It's been fun and enlightening so far, although the demonic research is responsible for a few bad dreams, I'm afraid. Some of that stuff is intense.

EG

Oh, yes. What books are you using for research?

Carradee
02-26-2011, 09:20 PM

I <3 Kathy Tyers. Only her <em>Firebird</em> trilogy and <em>Shivering World</em> were done as Christian novels, and they're hard to find (Christian sci-fi).

I know I've enjoyed what I read by Bodie Thoene, but it's been awhile. Beverly Lewis was also enjoyable, for a few books.

*thinks* Other than that, I can't think of anyone I can recommend. There's one I might be able to, but I need to read more of her work first. Her first novel had some fantastic writing and character development, but she <em>so</em> did no think through the implications of what, exactly, her allegory was saying about Christianity.

Calla Lily
02-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Happy Monday! (To achieve this. don't look outside at the cold rain-about-to-become-sleet if you're in the NE US.)

Here's my writing-related story of the weekend:

Awhile back in roundtable, there was a discussion about sending your book to someone you admire, like a teacher or such, as an "I did this and you had a minor connection to it, so I thought you'd like to see it." The idea was roundly shot down, with anti-aircraft fire. Comments that such an idea was amateurish and clueless and why would someone want a hand-delivered copy of your book, all it shows is massive ego on your part.

That got to me, and I chewed over it for awhile, but in the end, I said "Screw the haterz."

Saturday night, as I've mentioned upthread, I went to a DMHO concert. When my turn in the autograph queue came, I handed Denver Bieman a copy of FoH, with a one-sentence reminder explanation (Got the deal when I toured with you last year.) He said he remembered me, because of FB and that this was my 15th concert, which is apparently some kind of a record. (fangirls unite!)

I told him that I made my MC a fan, because I could and it was consistent with the character and hey, I'm obviously a fan.

The look on his face was like I'd given him a much bigger gift than a free book. It was a "You did that? Really?" It was almost like my mom & dad's expressions when they saw I'd dedicated the book to them.

He kept congratulating me and saying he was proud of me and isn't it great when all your hard work comes to fruition--obviously referring to his own success as well (which is a boatload bigger than my little book!).

So my weekend wisdom is: Tell the naysayers to jump up your butt. You never know when you're going to make someone happy.

David Poellot
03-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Former nun.
Using the word "screw."
Going against popular opinion.

I think you're ready to get fitted for your leather jacket. Another rebel has joined the fold! :D

L.Jones
03-01-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure who told you all that but your publisher gives you a box of books just for this reason - you're supposed to give them to people to generate publicity and good will. This was someone you'd met and had a connection to your book. It makes sense -- though it could have been a awkward moment, I'm sure you understood that.

Now if you had said you wanted to send your manuscript out to people...

And I know this may jiggle some egos but it also matters that it's a commercially published book that can be found in stores,has been well reviewed, etc. That's human nature - your book clearly shows your success in being published and offering it as a thank you for someone who inspired you is seen as a flattering gesture, not as a pushy promo op.

annie
http://anniejonesjoywritingthroughlife.blogspot.com/
http://dearhelenhartman.blogspot.com/
(http://anniejonesjoywritingthroughlife.blogspot.com/)

David Poellot
03-04-2011, 06:09 AM
Wake up, everyone! It's been two days since the last post. Whadda ya want to talk about?

Calla Lily
03-04-2011, 07:43 PM
The only thing I've got is a conversation I had yesterday with the owner of the wonderful indie bookstore where I had my launch. Please keep in mind that this is my experience (and that of several of my writer friends) and it is not the experience of everyone.

We were putting away the chairs and the brownies and discussing sales and distribution. I thanked him again for hosting, and mentioned how at the two talks I've given, at least one person asked, "So how much did you pay to get published?"

I gently explained that I did it the commercial way--the publisher paid me, and their sales staff got my book into many stores around the country (I've seen a map on Am.a.zon showing some of this. Whee!). Otherwise, I would not be in this store signing my books.

The store owner said that he regularly gets people in who say they've written a terrific book, produce a stack of them, and ask him to stock the books. He said that of all the non-commercial pubbed books he's seen (AuthorHouse, iUniverse, Xlibris, Tate, PublishAmerica, plus a few more), he has never stocked one. He says they can't stand up to the editing and proofreading and design a commercial book gets, and he can neither make a profit on nor turn over valuable shelf space to these books.

I know one woman who self-pubs her inspirational poetry and sells them when she gives talks at churches. This is (IMNSHO) the perfect use for self-pubbing. I know another woman who went with a vanity pub for her childrens' book, and she has spent 2 years relentlessly flogging this book in every local place she can get into, plus a ton of email blasts. She must pre-purchase them and get the store to stock them on consignment.

This is my soapbox. I am 100% a believer in commercial publication.

ElizaFaith13
03-04-2011, 11:18 PM
After reading Amanda's hocking blogpost today, I'm glad that I'm going the traditional route. It's tough out there, and since I write YA...it's even tougher.

ElizaFaith13
03-04-2011, 11:21 PM

LEGEND OF THE EMERALD ROSE

This is my all time favorite book! See blurb below

King Arthur and his queen are dead and Merlin has vanished. Bound by Divine Providence but divided by distrust, Shadoe and Rayn must find a way to save the Isle of Might and themselves from the threatening evil. A tantalizing brew of fantasy, action, and romance.

I also recommend the following series:

Tahn
Mark of the lion

David Poellot
03-05-2011, 04:20 AM
Calla, I promise I read your whole post, but what I got most of it was, you have brownies at your book signings? Let me know when the next one is. I always show up for brownies!

and, of course, to promote your book and all that :D

I do agree with you on the commercial publishing. I may never be good enough or have the right contacts to get published, but that's still the way I want to do it. If I never get published, I did write a picture book for my children a couple years ago about our trip to adopt my daughter, that I might try and self-publish.

JulieBeth
03-05-2011, 04:30 AM
Just wanted to say hello to my fellow Christian writers! If any of you have a Christian blog, let me know, I'd like to check it out! :)

Gravity
03-05-2011, 04:50 AM
Hello, Julie. I do have a blog, but I don't keep it with it the way I should.

And by the way, welcome!

JulieBeth
03-05-2011, 04:52 AM
Hello, Julie. I do have a blog, but I don't keep it with it the way I should.

And by the way, welcome!

Thanks John!

Calla Lily
03-05-2011, 05:38 AM
Calla, I promise I read your whole post, but what I got most of it was, you have brownies at your book signings? Let me know when the next one is. I always show up for brownies!

and, of course, to promote your book and all that :D

I do agree with you on the commercial publishing. I may never be good enough or have the right contacts to get published, but that's still the way I want to do it. If I never get published, I did write a picture book for my children a couple years ago about our trip to adopt my daughter, that I might try and self-publish.

The brownies are much more attractive than this old broad, let me assure you. :D

Also, let me also relieve you of a slight misconception: I have ZERO contacts in the publishing world. I sent a "why not" query + 1 chapter to an agent whose bio made him sound like he might be interested in what I write. That was how this started. I'm simply a Band Mom in western NYS, and trust me, the only time the world hears about this place is when we get 8 feet of snow dumped on us overnight.

You need a book that an agent HAS to want more of--and that agent needs to be someone who knows the market and how to sell your book into it.

Sounds so simple... It was a long road.

Never give up! Never surrender!

Just wanted to say hello to my fellow Christian writers! If any of you have a Christian blog, let me know, I'd like to check it out! :)

Welcome! A blog? :chair I'm on a group mystery blog once a month and sometimes that's more than I cna deal with.

Calla Lily
03-05-2011, 07:11 AM
BTW, Kersten, I saw your book at the Bflo and Erie Co. Central Library this week. Very nice! Congrats.

David Poellot
03-05-2011, 08:41 AM
I'm simply a Band Mom in western NYS,

Hey, band parent here too! I never knew how much fun going to marching band competitions would be until my oldest joined the high school marching band. This fall, we'll have a senior and a freshman in the band. Very exhausting, but very fun!

Welcome, Julie!

Robin Bayne
03-05-2011, 11:52 PM

My blog is here. (http://wwwwritingbetweensundays.blogspot.com)

Robin Bayne
03-06-2011, 08:38 PM
\ / TODAY'S VERSE from HEARTLIGHT -- http://www.heartlight.org/ (http://www.heartlight.org/)

March 6, 2011

VERSE:
[The Lord said,] My righteousness draws near speedily, my salvation is on the way, and my arm will bring justice to the nations. The islands will look to me and wait in hope for my arm.
-- Isaiah 51:5

THOUGHT:
God's promises stand through the ages. He has fulfilled them in many different ways. He has punished evil nations, he has redeemed Israel according to his promises, and he has sent Jesus as Savior and redeemer. But most importantly of all, Jesus stands at the edge of history waiting to return and bring full redemption for God's people and salvation for those everywhere who long for his return.

Kersten
03-07-2011, 09:22 PM
BTW, Kersten, I saw your book at the Bflo and Erie Co. Central Library this week. Very nice! Congrats.

Thanks for letting me know, Lily! I always love to hear about sightings of my book in the wild. :)

Kersten

ElizaFaith13
03-07-2011, 11:22 PM
okay, guys. Keep me in your prayers. I really need God's direction on my book. I'm spinning in circles!

Calla Lily
03-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Eliza, you're probably too young to remember the classic Bill Cosby comedy routine about Noah. (Yes, I'm an old broad.) In it, every time God is about to speak to Noah, Cosby said "Ding!" and then in a deeeeeep voice, "NOAH."

Ready:

"Ding"

(pretend my voice is deep here)

"Eliza. Go forth and outline."

:D

Srsly. Once I started to outline my books, I knew I'd nevre go back. Try Randy Ingermanson's Snowflake method (Google his name and Snowflake). the free version gives you the overview, which may be just what you need to corral your book.

ElizaFaith13
03-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Eliza, you're probably too young to remember the classic Bill Cosby comedy routine about Noah. (Yes, I'm an old broad.) In it, every time God is about to speak to Noah, Cosby said "Ding!" and then in a deeeeeep voice, "NOAH."

Ready:

"Ding"

(pretend my voice is deep here)

"Eliza. Go forth and outline."

:D

Srsly. Once I started to outline my books, I knew I'd nevre go back. Try Randy Ingermanson's Snowflake method (Google his name and Snowflake). the free version gives you the overview, which may be just what you need to corral your book.

My son's name is Noah :)

The book is done, and being queried. The problem, and confsuion, is all the conflicting advice (including some from a literary assistant). Now I have multiple versions of the query/first five pages and three different titles. My head is a mess. All the advice is good, but I know God's would be the best...if I could only figure out what that was.

Kersten
03-07-2011, 11:54 PM
My son's name is Noah :)

The book is done, and being queried. The problem, and confsuion, is all the conflicting advice (including some from a literary assistant). Now I have multiple versions of the query/first five pages and three different titles. My head is a mess. All the advice is good, but I know God's would be the best...if I could only figure out what that was.

I'll be praying for you, Eliza. Time to stop listening to all the advice and trust the peace God puts in your heart. Choose the one *you* like best.

Kersten

Calla Lily
03-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Ah. I see. Regarding conflicting advice, this is what's worked for me: Catalogue all the advice (in your head :)). Put the one-offs aside (the kind where one person says your plot is too slow, and another says it's too rushed). That's more of a personal preference.

All the advice that's consistent (MC is flat, for example, or too much backstory), line it up and compare it with the pages that you sent out. If/when you see a pattern to your book and the advice, that's probably what needs adjusting.

Never ditch your current file! Make an alt and go to town. :)

*disclaimer*
I am not and have never pretended to be the voice of God in this or any other situation.

ETA: Aaand... there you have it! Conflicting advice in two simultaneous posts. :roll: Isn't this a crazy business?

ElizaFaith13
03-08-2011, 04:31 AM
lol.

so true!

David Poellot
03-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Eliza, you're probably too young to remember the classic Bill Cosby comedy routine about Noah. (Yes, I'm an old broad.)

Ok, I'm 42, and I don't think that's at all old, and I remember that routine. I even saw the Cos during his Himself tour.:D

semmie
03-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Just dropping in to say hello.

CACTUSWENDY
03-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Well, I have been a bit hesitant to write in here. You all are taking/being used to write from the, for lack of a better term, the Godly perspective. That is cool. I asked God to let me write a book that would make some kind of impact. What He has done with me is, however strange, is had me do more of a C.S.Lewis type story.

Mine is about demons and their methods of operations done from a humor/dark side. It will not make it to the Christian markets. It's meant to give some insight on how the devil works in those that don't have any foundation in the things of God.

Where it finally ends I have no idea. It is an ongoing tale of everyday happenings of a demon from the Greedy clan. What started as 100 flash stories has melded into a 'tale'. Not a story with like a start...middle...end. Just episodes of their work.

BeetleJucie/Third Rock from the Sun/The Librarian type. It's been fun putting it together. I don't plan on ever getting it published other than on my blog. It has no ending and no doubt never will. (There is always talk of the end times)

I have about 6 other stories that have only a couple of pages each. He keeps bringing me back to this story. Sigh. I'm glad it is at least fun to write.

jdmccay
03-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Hello everyone,

This is my second post (my first one was in the Tate section). I'm a newb, and I've been enjoying all the posts. This forum is so informative, and what seems to be rather can't-we-all-just-get-along-ish.

I have two WIP, and both are of the Christian variety. The one I'm most excited about is a YA about a girl named Mac that is "called out" by God to fight demons. It's a little bit of SciFi and a little bit Fantasy.

Anyway, I'm glad I found AW and hope to make some friends and build some long term relationships. :)

mac

ElizaFaith13
03-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Welcome!

semmie
03-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Welcome, Mac! Look forward to learning more about you and your writing.

jdmccay
03-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Thank you, Eliza and Semmie. This is the first writing forum that didn't make me feel like I needed a PH.D. in creative writing.

Gravity
03-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Welcome, mac.

jdmccay
03-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Thanks, Gravity.

Calla Lily
03-09-2011, 12:29 AM
Welcome, mac. :)

jdmccay
03-09-2011, 01:11 AM
Thank you, callalily.

Kersten
03-09-2011, 05:23 AM
Welcome, Mac!

I have a question for the board: I have done a number of excellent blog tours with YA bloggers for Tyger Tyger.

I tried to do a couple of Christian blog tours, but the doors shut *very* firmly when they found out that I was published by a general market publisher.

My work is very like that of George MacDonald in spirit. In other words, some people will consider me a heretic. (Of course, one man's saint is usually another's a heretic. The authors of Dogma or The Shack are a good examples of this.) Tyger Tyger is read and loved by many who are not Christian.

But...I would love the Christian community to know about this book. Because there is a whole 'nuther layer in it for them.

My question is this: how would you reach the Christian community with such a book?

David Poellot
03-09-2011, 05:56 AM
Welcome, mac!

Sorry, Kersten, I have zero experience in that stuff. I don't understand the blog tours, but I don't know why being published by a general market publisher would make a difference.

I consider myself a conservative Christian, and I love Dogma. I enjoyed The Shack. And, I thought The DaVinci Code was a great thriller. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm secure enough in my faith that I can read and watch stuff that some others may take offense to and they don't appreciate the entertainment factor. I think there is an audience out there in the Christian community for you. It's unfortunate that so many in that community have blinders on. I think they're just scared.

I say keep trying.

jdmccay
03-09-2011, 05:57 AM
Thanks Kersten and David! :)

The Shack? Heretic? Wow, I did not know that. Darn me and my heretical literary indulgences. ;)

David, I'm the same way. I think the majority of the Christian community is afraid that if they left God out of the box He might actually do something...wild! They forget that He can use all thing to the good of those that love the Lord.

Welcome, Mac!

I have a question for the board: I have done a number of excellent blog tours with YA bloggers for Tyger Tyger.

I tried to do a couple of Christian blog tours, but the doors shut *very* firmly when they found out that I was published by a general market publisher.

My work is very like that of George MacDonald in spirit. In other words, some people will consider me a heretic. (Of course, one man's saint is usually another's a heretic. The authors of Dogma or The Shack are a good examples of this.) Tyger Tyger is read and loved by many who are not Christian.

But...I would love the Christian community to know about this book. Because there is a whole 'nuther layer in it for them.

My question is this: how would you reach the Christian community with such a book?

Calla Lily
03-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Sorry, Kersten. I think you have a Sisyphus-like battle on your hands. From what I see of the Christian book community, they're circling the wagons. The recent ACFW changes come to mind. They have a list of accepted publishers, and if you're not on that list, you're cast into the outer darkness. Some CBA publishers have story guidelines so strict that when I first read them, I thought they were joking.

There also seems to be an attitude that if it isn't pubbed by an approved Christian pub, it isn't "safe" for Christians to read. I encountered it a few years ago when I was aiming at the CBA market, and it still apparently exists today. It's like they think Christian faith is so fragile that anything outside the established parameters will instantly cause DOUBT and complete loss of faith. I've heard people use the word "doubt" like it's the biggest sin anyone can commit.

I don't understand the attitude that Christians must be carefully guarded and all input screened for unapproved ideas. It's as though if Christians are allowed to think and question, they'll bail.

So, I'm afraid my pessimistic answer is: It's going to be difficult. Perhaps not impossible, but...

Good luck.

Lavern08
03-09-2011, 06:39 PM
* Pokes head in *

Waves and blows Smooches to everyone :hi:

* Slips out *

LaceWing
03-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Are Christian publishers protecting dogma or the brand? Inquiring minds want to know.

Calla Lily
03-09-2011, 06:54 PM
That I couldn't tell you. My gut says "both," but I'm pubbed mainstream and my knowledge of the CBA is limited.

Kersten
03-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Sorry, Kersten. I think you have a Sisyphus-like battle on your hands. From what I see of the Christian book community, they're circling the wagons. The recent ACFW changes come to mind. They have a list of accepted publishers, and if you're not on that list, you're cast into the outer darkness. Some CBA publishers have story guidelines so strict that when I first read them, I thought they were joking.

There also seems to be an attitude that if it isn't pubbed by an approved Christian pub, it isn't "safe" for Christians to read. I encountered it a few years ago when I was aiming at the CBA market, and it still apparently exists today. It's like they think Christian faith is so fragile that anything outside the established parameters will instantly cause DOUBT and complete loss of faith. I've heard people use the word "doubt" like it's the biggest sin anyone can commit.

I don't understand the attitude that Christians must be carefully guarded and all input screened for unapproved ideas. It's as though if Christians are allowed to think and question, they'll bail.

So, I'm afraid my pessimistic answer is: It's going to be difficult. Perhaps not impossible, but...

Good luck.

X10 because I write for children and young adults who absolutely *must* be protected from....fiction.

I have published in both markets -- and that doesn't help a bit. The frustrating thing is that in the 80's -- a million years ago, I know -- we had some excellent writers (such as Walter Wangerin Jr.) publishing children's books which equaled and exceeded those in the general market in scope and imagination. And then...something happened, and I don't know what it was.

I was at a CBA conference several years ago signing books. My publisher overheard me telling a young person that if they liked my book, they should review it on Amazon so that other people would know about it.

The publisher whispered that *we were not allowed to mention Amazon* because they were the competition. Ummmm. They are booksellers. My job is selling books.

In the past five years, Christian bookstores have been falling like flies. The last time I did a tour, they were closing at a rate of five a day.

This makes me really, really sad because I believe in the power of good books to open people's hearts and make them *think*.

I'm tilting at windmills, I guess. That's just my nature. :)

Kersten
03-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Are Christian publishers protecting dogma or the brand? Inquiring minds want to know.

I don't think they can be protecting dogma, at least not as an industry -- because they don't agree on it. Requirements, which as Lily said can be absurdly strict, vary from publisher to publisher. I think the non-denonominational publishers are doing the best right now. But even they worry about offending this or that big denomination.

I think what I am looking for is an avenue to start word-of-mouth among Christians like those on this board -- people who are sensible and not afraid. They cross denominational lines, and hold following Jesus in common. That's it.

I'm sure that there are no open doors through the 'old guard', no paths through a fortress locked by fear.

I'll need to find a new way. I'm looking for ideas. :)

Calla Lily
03-09-2011, 09:04 PM
The last time I went into a Christian "bookstore," the shelving breakdown was as follows:

Bibles and Bible study materials: 25%
CDs, DVDs, and knickknacks (ceramic angels, crosses, suncatchers, Abb3y Pr3ss posters, and other dust collectors): 55%
Self-help NF and books by TV Preachers (with heavy emphasis on the "Prosperity Gospel": 15%
Fiction: 5% (4.5% Prairie romances, .5% P3r3tti and D3kk3r)

Sad.

Kersten
03-09-2011, 10:08 PM
The last time I went into a Christian "bookstore," the shelving breakdown was as follows:

CDs, DVDs, and knickknacks (ceramic angels, crosses, suncatchers, Abb3y Pr3ss posters, and other dust collectors): 55%
Self-help NF and books by TV Preachers (with heavy emphasis on the "Prosperity Gospel": 15%

Sad.

Yes. And what bothers me is excellent new writers spending hundreds of hours on novels and then trying to break into a market which doesn't exist anymore.

:(

Calla Lily
03-09-2011, 10:31 PM
There are times I seriously wonder if we're seeing a slow pendulum swing back to the old idea of "Bible = Truth and Good, Fiction = Lies and Bad."

Gravity
03-09-2011, 11:08 PM

Sad.

Plus don't forget, if a secular chain does end up ordering copies of the latest Christian novel, it'll be shoved into the area of the store relegated to Christian materials. In other words, if C. S. Lewis was alive today, his Narnia books wouldn't be shelved with other, general market fantasy titles, but put in the back, where it's "safe."

Is it any wonder then that many Christian novelists (including males, like moi, who never have found the CBA to all that inviting in the first place), have basically said piss on it, and are now writing for general market houses?

heyjude
03-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Is it any wonder then that many Christian novelists (including males, like moi, who never have found the CBA to all that inviting in the first place), have basically said piss on it, and are now writing for general market houses?

Nope. My stuff would never make it in the CBA, which is why I'm pursuing the secular market.

Having said that, there is a lot of good Christian fiction out there (my opinion, of course. :)). I'm reading a bonnet book now that I quite like.

Deb Kinnard
03-10-2011, 02:54 AM
C.S. Lewis used to go to church every Sunday, stay for the liturgy, and get up and leave just before the sermon. If he had been as popular in the UK as he was in the US, this would probably have been devastating to the preacher. But he wasn't. He was just another podgy prof in a town of profs.

LOL! In my experience, the Brits tolerate variation better than we do. Around here where I live, I'd be branded a Totally Backslidden Heathen for doing that. The Brits take many things more easily.

To the point today, I'm told, that only old folks attend church anymore. I hope and pray this wonderful country is ripe for revival. It's happened before, it can happen again. I'd love to live to see it.

Deb Kinnard
03-10-2011, 03:01 AM

My experience (8 years pubbed, small presses all) says: both.

I've been told that we "can't" deal with various fiction themes. The list of "can'ts" I've been given at various times in the publisher-hunt is as long as your arm. Some of them are dogma. Some are "we cannot offend anyone" sorts of statements.

Item: I was told I could not tell a romance from the guy's exclusive point of view. A romance "needs" a female POV or women will not read it. Result: sold 2010, published 2010, Desert Breeze.

Item: I was told I could not sell my medieval time travel romance because time travel is impossible and is never mentioned in Scripture. Well, neither are 1953 Chevy Biscaynes, either, but that don't stop us from writing about 'em! Result: sold 2008, published 2010, Sheaf House.

Item: I'm told "medieval era fiction does not sell in our market" because the characters at that time were necessarily Catholic. The implication being, "Christian readers don't want to read about Catholic characters." Result: Nelson expressed interest, proposal is in the works.

I think these boundaries are beginning to break down, at least a bit, in the non-Barbour, non-Harlequin Love Inspired parts of the market. I hope they are.

Deb Kinnard
03-10-2011, 03:15 AM
LEGEND OF THE EMERALD ROSE

This is my all time favorite book!

This. Yes. Oh, very yes. A vivid and beautifully crafted retelling of the Arthurian saga, but right from page one it surprised me. And charmed me. I droppd my WIP to read Linda Wichman's lovely story.

Now...did this critically acclaimed book (I believe it won the Christy that year in its category) lead on to bigger, better things for this very fine writer? Not so much. I know she had the plug pulled by Kregel on the second book in the Arthurian series, a book she was working diligently on at the time she won the Christy.

To quote another AW member: "Stupid hoomans."

Gravity
03-10-2011, 03:30 AM
Great news about Nelson, Deb!

semmie
03-10-2011, 03:57 AM
time travel is impossible and is never mentioned in Scripture. Well, neither are 1953 Chevy Biscaynes...
:ROFL:

Right on, Deb. Right on.

David Poellot
03-10-2011, 04:15 AM
This page of posts is great news! Years ago, not as many books were out there in the YA market about vampires, then BOOM! Everywhere you turn, there's another vampire book in the YA market. Now, if the Christian market is dying, that tells me that writing a Christian novel is a great idea, because the market is just waiting to BOOM.

Hi, I'm Dave. I have a very positive outlook on life.:D

David Poellot
03-10-2011, 06:36 AM
I don't think you should be discouraged, mac. Any time you can finish a book, it's a great accomplishment. If the general public says there is no market for it, it doesn't mean your book won't sell. It's about the story.

I finished my first book last year. It is a fantasy, and it fits all the traditional tropes of a sword and sorcery novel, likened to the Tolkein era. I was told by everyone that there was too much of that out there, and they may be right. I sent a query letter to 25 agents and got all rejections. I like my story, and it's one I've worked on for twenty years. It probably needs some improvement . But, I think mostly the query stunk, because to not get any requests from just a query letter makes me think that it wasn't just about the same old epic fantasy.

jdmccay
03-10-2011, 06:56 AM
First, sorry for deleting the post. I re-read it and it sounded wierd.

I actually have two WIP. One is the YA that I started the middle of last year, and one is an end-of-times. Both of my stories have strong female leads.

The reason, er, well, part of the reason I wanted to write the YA is because I was in Sam's Club and I walked past the book section and the Christian books were these chicks in bonnets looking like they'd just backed over their dog. I'd heard country music songs happier than what these girls looked.

I thought to myself, "Why would any YA pick one of these books? They look BORING!" I wanted to write something that was fun, exciting, edge of the seat and use a female lead. There are plenty of stories out there, but there is a lack of girls/women that don't lose their "soul" because a boy steps into the picture.

The thing that hacked me the most (other than sparkling vampires and every other sentence being "he's so beautiful") was the second book and the witty, sarcastic, interesting Bella turned to goo. What in the world? Can a woman not retain her personality and still fall in love? UGH!

I want my character to show that a girl, or any YA, can have a deep, passionate relationship with Jesus, and through that relationship become a different person as they grow to know Jesus. I'm hoping my lead character can show that it's not about her knowing Jesus it's about Jesus knowing her and that making the difference in her life.

She doesn't have to be this bonnet wearing, forelorn, dress-wearin', sad-looking person. A relationship with Christ is not without trials, but what we have is peace in knowing that our trials have a really big God with soft hands to fall into.

I just hope when it's time to write that query letter the passion and personality that I have can come through. I hope that the prospective agents can see promise.

Wow, that was soapbox. Sorry...

I don't think you should be discouraged, mac. Any time you can finish a book, it's a great accomplishment. If the general public says there is no market for it, it doesn't mean your book won't sell. It's about the story.

I finished my first book last year. It is a fantasy, and it fits all the traditional tropes of a sword and sorcery novel, likened to the Tolkein era. I was told by everyone that there was too much of that out there, and they may be right. I sent a query letter to 25 agents and got all rejections. I like my story, and it's one I've worked on for twenty years. It probably needs some improvement . But, I think mostly the query stunk, because to not get any requests from just a query letter makes me think that it wasn't just about the same old epic fantasy.

Mark W.
03-10-2011, 11:35 AM
The reason, er, well, part of the reason I wanted to write the YA is because I was in Sam's Club and I walked past the book section and the Christian books were these chicks in bonnets looking like they'd just backed over their dog. I'd heard country music songs happier than what these girls looked.

Ha! I've thought that myself. Good point of inspiration!

Lavern08
03-10-2011, 06:53 PM
...I want my character to show that a girl, or any YA, can have a deep, passionate relationship with Jesus, and through that relationship become a different person as they grow to know Jesus. I'm hoping my lead character can show that it's not about her knowing Jesus it's about Jesus knowing her and that making the difference in her life.

She doesn't have to be this bonnet wearing, forelorn, dress-wearin', sad-looking person. A relationship with Christ is not without trials, but what we have is peace in knowing that our trials have a really big God with soft hands to fall into.

Amen - Go for it, Mac. ;)

jdmccay
03-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Mark-Glad to know I'm not the only one perusing the sad section.

Laverne-Thanks. :) I hope I can. lol

FranYoakumVeal
03-12-2011, 04:29 AM
Sorry I haven't been on here in a while since starting this thread. I've been busy editing my WIP. By day...well, it is tax season. (ugh!)

David Poellot
03-14-2011, 03:31 AM
Happy Sunday, everyone!

Fran - I did 3 different tax seasons during my career. I don't miss any of them. Of course, after going through another sale, these past few months have been no picnic either. There is never a time where auditors are not a pain. Just when I think I'm going to get back to the million other things I need to do, another auditor calls or stops by with another question. (I left out the proper adjective for auditor, since we are in the Christian forum.)

ElizaFaith13
03-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Hi everyone! Dropping in to say hi.

Anyone going to the backspace conference in NYC this year? I just signed up.

Calla Lily
03-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Have fun! The only conference I'm going to this year is Malice Domestic in April.

Robin Bayne
03-16-2011, 10:49 PM
Just saying hello!! I have a novella releasing Friday and will stop back and tell you guys how to enter my drawing.

Not going to any conferences this year-I got tired of them a few years ago.

Calla Lily
03-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Congrats!

jdmccay
03-17-2011, 07:07 AM
Just wanted to drop in and say HOLA. :) Hope everyone is having a pleasant week.

David Poellot
03-17-2011, 07:45 AM
HOLA, mac!

I've never attended a writer's conference. Many accounting, but not writer's. Yeah, my work life is a bore.

I guess I consider myself a new writer. I've been writing off and on for twenty years, but only seriously pursued finishing novels and writing consistently for the past couple years. At some point, I'll have to research writer's conferences and think about attending.

jdmccay
03-18-2011, 07:00 AM
David, I have my B.S. in Accounting. I never pursued a C.P.A. though. When I was going through school, I picked accounting because it was easy. I cannot tell you the weird looks I get when I say that. lol

Robin Bayne
03-19-2011, 03:17 AM
Hi everyone!!! To celebrate my new release (http://www.whiterosepublishing.com/The-Artist39S-Granddaughter), I'm holding a drawing!

Enter by "liking" me on this page (https://www.facebook.com/rlbayneauthor), then leave a comment about how you celebrate St Patrick's Day or Easter, if you do. If not, just comment with the name of your favorite holiday.

...Easter Monday one lucky winner will be sent:

A Ty Maryland style crab Beanie Baby, print copy of my 2007 novella "From Now On" and non-fiction anthology "Fiction and Truth," (edited by Kathy Ide), pdf copy of my novella "Prodigal" and a silver-plated heart shaped ring box.

Calla Lily
03-19-2011, 04:06 AM
:hooray: Congrats!

David Poellot
03-19-2011, 05:43 AM
David, I have my B.S. in Accounting. I never pursued a C.P.A. though. When I was going through school, I picked accounting because it was easy. I cannot tell you the weird looks I get when I say that. lol

I picked it because I was good in math. I was placed in Honors English in my freshman year, and was told a year later by my freshman professor that had I stayed at that college, instead of transferring to Bradley, he was going to try to talk me into changing to an English major. Why didn't you tell me that when I was here??? DOH!

Well, I am a firm believer in the thought that if God didn't want me where I'm at right now, then I wouldn't be here. I just hope He's wanting me writing books for a living in the near future.:D

gal513
03-19-2011, 05:48 AM
Well, I am a firm believer in the thought that if God didn't want me where I'm at right now, then I wouldn't be here. I just hope He's wanting me writing books for a living in the near future.:D

Too funny! I'm "lucky" for the fact that my husband agreed for me to stay home with our son so I have time to write without as much pressure to make money. Then again, my husband did ask today if I'll ever make money from doing this. I told him I really hope to but have no clue!

David Poellot
03-19-2011, 06:24 AM
Welcome, gal!

jdmccay
03-19-2011, 07:39 AM
I picked it because I was good in math. I was placed in Honors English in my freshman year, and was told a year later by my freshman professor that had I stayed at that college, instead of transferring to Bradley, he was going to try to talk me into changing to an English major. Why didn't you tell me that when I was here??? DOH!

I was kind of a "jack of all" when it came to school. Had I put my head into studying, I'd have probably graduated Val., but I just didn't care. I loved English, totally dug history, and math was "eh" but I could do it fairly easy. Okay, confession, I stunk at Geometry. I despised Geometry. I passed that class with a 1/10 of a point. My thought was, that the best way to prove that the dot was in the middle of the circle was to just look at the stinkin' circle! lol

I know Py boy had a theorum or dozen, and I knew where he could stick'em. ;)

I don't know if I'm supposed to be writing to tell the truth. I know I like to write, it's fun, and I hope it's a way that God can use me. I just need Him to fill me in on a fantabulous ending for my WIP. I'm so stuck I might as well have my feet in concrete.

jdmccay
03-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Welcome to the board, gal, from one newb to another. ;)

jdmccay
03-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Wow, congrats on the new release. I hope it's blessed and reaches a lot of readers. :)

Hi everyone!!! To celebrate my new release (http://www.whiterosepublishing.com/The-Artist39S-Granddaughter), I'm holding a drawing!

Enter by "liking" me on this page (https://www.facebook.com/rlbayneauthor), then leave a comment about how you celebrate St Patrick's Day or Easter, if you do. If not, just comment with the name of your favorite holiday.

A Ty Maryland style crab Beanie Baby, print copy of my 2007 novella "From Now On" and non-fiction anthology "Fiction and Truth," (edited by Kathy Ide), pdf copy of my novella "Prodigal" and a silver-plated heart shaped ring box.

Robin Bayne
03-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks everyone!!

So what is everyone up to this weekend?

jdmccay
03-19-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm cleaning house, making sure my kids don't burn it down in the process, and hopefully a little bit of relaxing tucked in there somewhere.

I'm still waiting on an ending for my WIP. I'm 10 chapters in and trying to figure out where God wants me to take my main character.

Calla Lily
03-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Defrosting a turkey to cook tomorrow, doing a few loads of laundry, and working as much as possible on the WIP because The Editor threatened promised line edits early next week. :)

Oh, and there seems to be a lot of college basketball on TV...

ElizaFaith13
03-19-2011, 09:53 PM

grats on the new release!

ElizaFaith13
03-19-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm watching Cloudy With A chance of Meatballs, with my son and trying to get some writing done.

David Poellot
03-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Defrosting a turkey to cook tomorrow

Even if no one else did, I read between the lines there. Lily is inviting us all over for a good old fashioned turkey dinner tomorrow!:D