PDA

View Full Version : Proofread for indie fantasy game story

leech13
11-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Hello,

We are small indie game startup company from Poland and right now we are in process of developing a fantasy turn-based strategy game. The engine in 90% done, right now we are working on media assets and testing (you can see screenshots from latest build in attached file).

Aside from tactical battles, there is a storyline which is quite important to create game atmosphere.

First campaign is almost done (story, graphic and background music), but story has been written by programmer and it's not on the level we would like it to be.
However, it does not require complete rewrite. English should to be corrected, the style made more fluent, etc.

In this attachment there is an example html from two first levels of a campaign - there will be around 40 levels that need story:
http://rapidshare.com/#!download|327tl3|431796701|humancampaign-demo.zip|3141 (http://rapidshare.com/#%21download%7C327tl3%7C431796701%7Chumancampaign-demo.zip%7C3141)
(nothing dangerous, just html + png + ogg files)
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/25323132/humancampaign-demo.zip
(just duplicate for sure)

Aside from your commission, we offer free copy of our product (when we finally release it) and good place in credits (as a story-writer).

What we expect:
- proofread and correct story from 1-st campaign (9686 words so far)
- extend story and make style more fluent (this is important, job is not only proofreading)
- good English is a must (natives are preferred)
- some knowledge about fantasy literature is a must
- additionally, in-game descriptions and hints should be proofread (around 100 short descriptions and notes, ca.2000 words total)

Please drop me a note if you are interested and your lump sum for the job.
Please ask any technical questions in thread (so everyone sees answer).
Please also present at least one short story, so we can see your style (everyone is welcome!)

Thank you very much!

Miakoda
11-21-2010, 03:02 PM
I'd like a little more information on the game. What kind is it?

leech13
11-21-2010, 08:49 PM
I'd like a little more information on the game. What kind is it?

Hi,

It's turn based strategy. It's more tactics than strategy really - player gets (or recruits) fantasy troops and fights quick skirmishes against AI.

The story will be shown between levels, so it's quite important to set proper atmosphere.

Take a look at screenshots I have attached to previous mail.

Miakoda
11-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Is it a console game or computer based, web-based?

Tom from UK
11-22-2010, 01:54 PM
I was interested in this as I've had Fighting Fantasy adventures published. But I'm assuming that there isn't any real money involved and, although the game may well be very good, the screen shots suggest the type of turn-based strategy game that was popular years and years ago and I really don't see a market for it these days - so if there's no treasure and no glory, I'm going to pass. If you think I'm wrong, please explain to me (and other AW-ers) why they should pitch for this.

leech13
11-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Is it a console game or computer based, web-based?

Hi Miakoda,

Currently is PC-based. However, it's written in Java, thus it will work on everything with proper Java Virtual Machine (Windows, Linux, Mac, Unix, some mobiles and some consoles as well).

I was interested in this as I've had Fighting Fantasy adventures published. But I'm assuming that there isn't any real money involved and, although the game may well be very good, the screen shots suggest the type of turn-based strategy game that was popular years and years ago and I really don't see a market for it these days - so if there's no treasure and no glory, I'm going to pass. If you think I'm wrong, please explain to me (and other AW-ers) why they should pitch for this.

Hi Tom,

First of all - if you are not interested, why you bother with answering my post? If you are interested in money behind big titles, apply to Blizzard or some other big publisher.

This is offer for anyone who is interested in writing/correcting fantasy and who likes doing that. Most of the professionals won't be interested in that anyway as this is very niche product.

All guys in my group have daily jobs - and we don't expect to get rich by writing this game.
Moreover, I believe there is value in such niche market and the most important - I like what I am doing.

Tom from UK
11-22-2010, 02:55 PM
if you are not interested, why you bother with answering my post? Because I wanted to make sure I understood your situation.

It appears that I did.

Thank you for the clarification.

MODS: Shouldn't there be something about the fee in the title?

Fulk
11-22-2010, 11:23 PM
What sort of deadline are you working on? That is, when would you expect to have this project revised and proofread by? I noted that this job is for the first campaign of the game and is 9000-some words "so-far." Do you expect that more content will be added to this campaign, or would that be another job entirely?

Maryn
11-23-2010, 12:05 AM
MODS: Shouldn't there be something about the fee in the title?I'm not a mod, but yes. The payment is supposed to appear in every subject line in paying markets. You can see how rarely that happens. It's not even in very many of the posts, although sometimes I hound the OP until it appears well into the thread.

Maryn, hard-ass about this

Makyelin
11-23-2010, 01:50 AM
I think the real question we're getting at here is -how much are you willing to pay? Because I would do it or not based on how much you're offering.

leech13
11-23-2010, 03:08 AM
What sort of deadline are you working on? That is, when would you expect to have this project revised and proofread by? I noted that this job is for the first campaign of the game and is 9000-some words "so-far." Do you expect that more content will be added to this campaign, or would that be another job entirely?

Deadline for a project is in 6 months, but we would like to have proofreading and corrections done in 3 months.
9000-some words are for first campaign only and that's final.

If we like your work, there will be another campaign to proofread.

veinglory
11-23-2010, 03:29 AM
You have been asked to post a pay rate as required for this sub-forum. Please do so.

leech13
11-23-2010, 03:41 AM
You have been asked to post a pay rate as required for this sub-forum. Please do so.

This post has been originally posted to Freelance Writing forum, where pay rate is not required.

Currently we are getting offers in range of 150USD to 300USD for the job.

gambit924
11-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Interesting, interesting... Doing a tactics game for anyone other than a large company name is a hard sell due to the fact that tactics games are for people who "really" enjoy them. Personally I couldn't get into FF tactics or Suikoden Tactics because they were simply to complicated for me, the eternal RPGer. One thing I will say is that there is still a market for old-timey games for those hardcore old-schoolers who like a good story and don't care how weird the graphics are. I think you may have something here, though for a start-up company, is this truly how you want to start out? I mean maybe you should have started with something more main stream like an RPG or a shooter. Not that I'm knocking your idea or anything, I think it admirable. Any other time I would have jumped at the chance, but unfortunately I am working on school right now and don't have time to become part of another team as I am already working on several projects and school right now. All I have to say is hammer out the details here and you'll probably find someone great. If not, go to gamedev.net and look in their forum under "Help Wanted" where you'll always find eager volunteers or people who would jump at the chance to be paid. Good luck and cheers!

leech13
11-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Hi

..how weird the graphics are...

I hope graphics won't be as bad :-)

I think you may have something here, though for a start-up company, is this truly how you want to start out? I mean maybe you should have started with something more main stream like an RPG or a shooter. Not that I'm knocking your idea or anything, I think it admirable.

You are probably right with RPG or shooter, but I have lot of fun designing turn strategy :-)

I have daily job, so there is no pressure.
The system is much more simplistic than in those old hard-core games, yet it's challenging enough. I think we found right balance here.

If not, go to gamedev.net and look in their forum under "Help Wanted" where you'll always find eager volunteers or people who would jump at the chance to be paid.

Thanks for tip!
I will probably do that if the people here will be still insisting on 5k+ USD for proofreading around 20 pages.
Though recently we got more realistic offers :-)

Good luck and cheers!

Cheers to you also!

Makyelin
11-26-2010, 02:15 AM
Currently we are getting offers in range of 150USD to 300USD for the job.

If your offering 300$ for 9000 words I'd do it. PM me.

bladestalker
11-26-2010, 05:39 AM
PM sent.

DarkDesireX
11-26-2010, 12:06 PM
300$, plus a faster output (two weeks) was my offer but it was too expensive. I put in a counter but indie game developers have limited funds.

Gotta give the guy a break.

JoshW
11-27-2010, 01:31 AM
I am very interested. I sent a PM which includes my email address. I hope to hear from you soon!

leech13
11-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Hello again,

Thank for all your offers! I really appreciate your time spent on that.

We have selected proofreader we will go with already.
I will notify here, if anything changes.

Gillhoughly
11-28-2010, 01:37 AM
Wish I'd seen this sooner. I've got a heavy-hitting gaming, fantasy, and editing background, and need the cash!

leech13--if it doesn't work out, let me know. My turnaround for 10K words is usually a few days, even when rewrites are involved.