So What's On The Menu For Thanksgiving?

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I know it's almost a week away, but I was wondering what everyone is doing for turkey day. I'll be spending the day with hubby, daughter and three beasts. We got a new karaoke machine, so I know the kid and I will be torturing the hubby and neighbors with our lovely voices. Like I tell people, when I die don't go looking for me in the room marked "Choir of Angels".

I'll be doing the standard turkey, but then I love turkey. The kid and I will make my special sweet potato casserole, which is like 1000 calories per serving. It's basically a 3-inch sweet potato pie filling without the crust and topped with a cornflake, brown sugar, pecan, butter and coconut topping. So good I can taste it now. I even use fresh sweet potatoes.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday and eats tons of food.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Read your sweet potato casserole description :e2thud:- faints with bliss.
It's so good but I only cook it on holidays because I'll eat it. You basically mix all the topping ingredients together, heat it up on the stove, spread it over the cooked sweet potatoes and brown in the oven. It's more like a dessert than a side dish.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Made/provided by me:
turkey (the two biggest I can find)
stuffing
mashed potatoes
giblet gravy
yams with butter, brown sugar, pecans, and pumpkin pie spice
ice cream
whipped cream

brought by others:
raw veggie tray
rolls
broccoli casserole
assorted pies

I don't have a head count yet, but it will most likely be 20-25
We don't karaoke, but weather permitting cut throat croquet will be played in the back yard.

MM

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I picked up cranberries today, and stuff to make gingerbread, and stuff for Irish coffee. It made me VERY happy to do a little holiday grocery shopping -- and tonight, it's snowing!!! Hurray!

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was invited over to a coworker's. She's an excellent cook. Mom and I are gonna head over there Thursday. (we're bringing the vegetable dish...candied carrots I believe)

She does the turkey, stuffing, potatoes all from scratch. For a microwave queen like me, I appreciate others who can cook.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I picked up cranberries today, and stuff to make gingerbread, and stuff for Irish coffee. It made me VERY happy to do a little holiday grocery shopping -- and tonight, it's snowing!!! Hurray!

Snow...well it's a chilly 72 degrees here in Central Florida. Stuffing, I love stuffing too and there's so many ways to do it. I still miss my mother's cornbread stuffing. I helped her make it for years and I can never seem to get it right. But perhaps it's just the memory I can't repeat.:)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess it depends if I decide to go over to my brother's for Thanksgiving or not. His fiance's father ordered the food prepared from some store. I believe ham is the meat. I don't know what the "fixin's" are, but I imagine a potato dish is in there somewhere.

Somehow a house full of screaming kids I have only met once, and smokers (every adult who will be there but my brother), doesn't have a great appeal for me. I am sensitive to cigarette smoke to the point of getting ill when one person is smoking around me, let alone a house filled with it. And the smoke would be in my clothes when I left, which would cause continued reactions physically. I don't have a washer here either, so the clothes would have to be sealed away until washed. It would be a huge sacrifice for me to go. I am thinking a quiet day spent with my dog a better holiday this year. I may pop over, I don't know yet, just so her family doesn't see me as "stand-offish". If not for the smoking issue, I would go without hesitation. I can handle a few hours of screaming kids.

We'll see.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
In addition to the standard turkified menu, I'll be making two different ice creams this year--vanilla for the kids and teetotalers, and rum raisin for me. :D

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... whatever I can stir up from the brush. Hopefully a turkey, more likes a ptarmigan. Years back, fowl were plentiful. Danged city folk keep encroaching though. Not but a parcel of land to be found north of the bend these days. Shame. Real honest to goodness shame :-(

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
You silly Americans are such odd ducks!

Thanksgiving was over a month ago.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm kind of a fan of having non-traditional foods on holidays. But, I'm the only one in my family that feels that way. So, eh. I'm making carrots :)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yann0--like eggplant.

or haggis.

:D

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have most of my food except for the turkey.

Corn
Carrots
Potatoes
Cranberry
Stuffing
Rolls
Gravy

My sister is bringing the desserts. I'm getting a free turkey so I'll go pick that up on Monday or Tuesday.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... carrots are tasty.
Be sure to set an extra seat for me :)
okay, but we eat them with chopsticks. and by that, I mean we poke at them. and by we, I mean me.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
dinner at my moms and all of my siblings (there are 6 kids in my family) and their spouses and their kids and...probably a few random people from my hometown who don't have anywhere to spend thanksgiving

:)

my mom will do the turkey of course...but my contribution is my white chocolate pumpkin spice cake, a gruyere cheese/shitake mushroom scalloped potatoes, and a green bean casserole

oh, and I am the designated cranberry sauce sister for about the 8th year now :)

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Spiral Honey Ham
Smoked Turkey Breast
Cinnamon Apples
Mashed Yukon Potatoes
Cornbread Stuffing
Turkey Gravy
Green Bean Casserole
Macaroni and Cheese
Rolls
Cranberry Sauce
A cake (who knows what kind)
a pie (again, who knows?)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
okay, but we eat them with chopsticks. and by that, I mean we poke at them. and by we, I mean me.

... that would be problematical. Once tried eating with chopsticks at a Japanese restaurant. Real disaster. Food fell on the floor. And there I was with a date trying to make a good impression. Needless to say there was no second one :-(

BudBoxer

All Write By Me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
philcomer.blogspot.com
I just shot the tofu turkey. Hung it up by its clawed feet to age. Feathers should fall out by Thursday. Then, yum. Diarrhea. The entire meal will be slimming.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
All this food is making me hungry! Sounds like everyone is having tasty dishes, that is except for the tofu. I've never tasted it but it just doesn't look right in those watery packages. :Shrug: