PDA

View Full Version : Christian Writer's Guild Classes

Jack Parker
11-19-2010, 10:09 PM
I searched the archives for a discussion on the classes given by Jerry B. Jenkins and the Christian Writer's Guild but only found three posts that even mention the Guild. I say that in hopes that this topic won't cause eyes to roll or groans of "Not another newbie and the CWG! Grrr..."

Has anyone taken any of these classes? Were they worth the, in my opinion, exorbitant, fees? I yearn to take their courses but the money just isn't available to do so.

I'd love to hear from anyone who is, or has been, a member of the CWG and hear about your experience. Did you enter the new writers contest for members? If you took some of the courses, were they valuable to you? Would you recommend them?

Robin Bayne
11-20-2010, 10:56 PM
I've looked at the website, but it seems you have to sign up for an entire set of courses, and I would have preferred courses that specialized in what I write.

Jack Parker
11-21-2010, 04:06 AM
I've looked at the website, but it seems you have to sign up for an entire set of courses, and I would have preferred courses that specialized in what I write.

Yes, and those classes don't come cheap! Yikes! I've enjoyed Jenkin's writing in the past and I think it would be fun to learn from the courses he provides. But, as with everything, I keep it in prayer. God just may provide for me to take them. If He doesn't, then perhaps it just wasn't meant to be.

I'd sure like to enter the Operation First Novel contest, though! Another great author, though secular, whose workshop I'd love to attend is Orson Scott Card. I've heard from others who have taken his course and they can't speak highly enough about it. I'm not a science fiction writer, but I'd sure give it my best if it meant I could learn from him!

I've never been to a writing conference and it's something I long to do!

Pat~
11-21-2010, 04:29 AM
Jack, be sure to check the Christian Writer's Conference 'sticky' thread here. Not sure if it's been updated recently, but they pretty much follow the same seasonal pattern year after year.

Jack Parker
11-21-2010, 04:59 AM
I've had my eye on that thread, Pat! First opportunity and I'm my way! :snoopy:

CAWriter
11-22-2010, 11:07 AM
I attended a couple of CWG-sponsored workshops in the pre-Jerry Jenkins days. A critique partner of mine took the courses though, and several of my friends/acquaintances have served as faculty (guides?) for their program. Even though there is a lot that's covered that might be outside your specific areas of interest, the feedback I've heard is that it's all good practice. It doesn't hurt to have more tools in your toolbox; that increases your opportunity to make an income from writing. And writing consistently and getting solid, qualified feedback will improve your writing overall.

Definitely enter the first novel contest; nothing to lose from that!

Jack Parker
11-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the info, CAWriter. Any idea what might set these very expensive courses apart from other writing courses?

If I remember correctly, I think you have to be a student of the courses to enter the First Novel contest. Maybe not. I'll have to double-check.