PDA

View Full Version : Red Riding Hood, adult version

LOG
11-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Apparently Leonardo DiCaprio and Catherine Hardwicke think having a mature version of Red Riding Hood is somehow terribly original. (http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/161-leonardo-dicaprio-gives-red-riding-hood-the-twilight-treatment)
Obviously neither of them has seen The Company of Wolves...

I am hopeful though, the trailer has a rather moody feel to, more than I was expecting; that scene with the iron wolf mask in particular has me interested.

The constant references to Twilight annoy me, as if that's some sort of literary standard for fantasy novels involving werewolves...Patricia Brigg's Mercedes Thompson novels is a better example of the genre. (Hmmm, come to think of it, I believe that series has been optioned by a film studio, although I doubt it will end well. The series as a whole doesn't strike me as being the kind that lends itself well to movie series.)

seun
11-19-2010, 01:55 PM
As soon as I saw your thread title, I thought Company of Wolves.

defcon6000
11-19-2010, 02:03 PM
It makes me sad that everything is getting the Twilight treatment. Supposedly the Spider-Man reboot is receiving the same thing. *sigh*

Just don't tell me the wolves glitter.

K. Taylor
11-19-2010, 02:22 PM
From what I read, it's a lot darker and sexier than Twilight.....but the media is equating paranormal/Twilight now, and ugh. (And there's still 2 movies left *shudder*)

Entertainment Weekly has a little write-up about it in the mag. Probably online, too.

Ken
11-19-2010, 02:39 PM
... will stick with Tex Avery's Red Hot Ridin' Hood from the 40's:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_G9bxeVVz3xA/SgwmodwL55I/AAAAAAAAAVo/5VHG3G00Qk8/s400/deux-chaperons-rouges-49-02-g.jpg

ajkjd01
11-19-2010, 06:07 PM
As a writer who JUST FINISHED a contemporary fantasy with Grimm's Fairy Tales coming to life (1st draft, anyway)...I am ecstatic to see this coming to theaters...and the recent TANGLED movie that just came out involving Rapunzel.

There's a big part of me that just doesn't care about the Twilight references...it just makes me excited that my work might be timed right (My goal is to be querying about the time that this movie is released...and I set that goal before I knew about this movie!)

Toothpaste
11-19-2010, 09:29 PM
The trailer looks so cheesy TWILIGHT horrible. But hey, trailers have been wrong before.

Gotta say, it's not on the top of my list. Now Cowboys and Aliens?? Yeah, that looks cool.

soapdish
11-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Hmm, I like the idea, but yeah, the trailer is cheesy.

I actually thought of the movie Freeway when I saw this post. :Shrug: I haven't seen Company of Wolves, but now I'd like to.

LOG
11-19-2010, 09:43 PM
The trailer looks so cheesy TWILIGHT horrible. But hey, trailers have been wrong before.

Gotta say, it's not on the top of my list. Now Cowboys and Aliens?? Yeah, that looks cool.
It does look...interesting. I worry it will be too cheesy and involve highly improbably events somehow miraculously defeating an alien invasion. *coughMarsAttackscough*

Cyia
11-19-2010, 09:54 PM
As a writer who JUST FINISHED a contemporary fantasy with Grimm's Fairy Tales coming to life (1st draft, anyway)...I am ecstatic to see this coming to theaters...and the recent TANGLED movie that just came out involving Rapunzel.

There's a big part of me that just doesn't care about the Twilight references...it just makes me excited that my work might be timed right (My goal is to be querying about the time that this movie is released...and I set that goal before I knew about this movie!)

Ugh. And here I started a thread ranting about this movie last night. I had the exact opposite reaction to seeing it, considering my WIP is a RRH story. I found the timing annoying, but the more I listen to people here, maybe it's not a bad thing. Maybe retold fairy tales will be the next wave.

Cella
11-19-2010, 09:55 PM
I keep thinking this is a thread about me!

yeah, feels like Twilight in color. Though, I bet this girl smiles more.

I'll probably see it, though.

jennontheisland
11-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Ug. That looks cheesey at best. Maybe some kind of drinking game could be devised?

slcboston
11-19-2010, 10:10 PM

Um, what difference does that make? Aside from the fact that it might be a fair bet that neither of them has seen it, as it's not exactly the most well known flick out there and it is at this point now over a quarter of a century old, it's not as though the tale hasn't been revisited since then.

Case in point:

I actually thought of the movie Freeway when I saw this post. :Shrug: I haven't seen Company of Wolves, but now I'd like to.

Freeway is something that came to my mind as well, even if it is a modernized retelling.

But just because a film has been done before hardly means it can't be done again. I would think the recent remake of The Wolf Man is a positive example of that. If nothing else, advances in special effects ought to take away the cheese factor that *any* older werewolf film suffers from these days.

I mean, I like The Howling and all, but the werewolves themselves kind of make me giggle.

So, even if they *have* seen TCOW, why does that make any difference?

defcon6000
11-19-2010, 10:31 PM
It does look...interesting. I worry it will be too cheesy and involve highly improbably events somehow miraculously defeating an alien invasion. *coughMarsAttackscough*
Pssh, Mars Attacks was awesome. It gives us the reason why yokel country music exists.

veinglory
11-19-2010, 10:32 PM
The should just reissue Company of Wolves instead.

LOG
11-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Um, what difference does that make? Aside from the fact that it might be a fair bet that neither of them has seen it, as it's not exactly the most well known flick out there and it is at this point now over a quarter of a century old, it's not as though the tale hasn't been revisited since then.

I mean, I like The Howling and all, but the werewolves themselves kind of make me giggle.

So, even if they *have* seen TCOW, why does that make any difference?
How did the werewolves of The Howling enter into this?

I brought up TCOW because DiCaprio and Hardwicke seem under the impression that an adult version of Red Riding Hood is original, which it's not, we know it's not. TCOW isn't exactly the most edgy thing out there, although it has it's moments, it contains a very mature message.
That's what it's about, it's like the Ginger Snaps series, it's all an allegory for adolescence and puberty. And as Ken pointed out, the idea of the Wolf and Little Red having an inter-personal relationship isn't new either.

jennontheisland
11-19-2010, 11:04 PM
I doubt they think it's an original idea. But they have to portray it that way to the media and the public in order to gain interest.

Not many people would sit up and notice if they were droning on about how many times this idea has been done before.

soapdish
11-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Regarding the originality discussion...part of me wonders if the "isn't this cool and original" thing, is more about how they want to market it to their specific audience (Twilight's audience, I guess).

What I mean is, maybe they (DiCaprio etc.) *do* understand that it's not original...but the bottom line is that the audience they are marketing it to would be more receptive if *they* thought they were discovering this concept for the first time.

As a teenager, it's fun to think you've stumbled onto something new. Dark and sexy is an added bonus too. So I think they are just playing into their audience and what will make them want to see it.

Does that make sense?

ETA: Or what Jen said ;) I take too long to formulate...and I ramble.

ceenindee
11-20-2010, 12:01 AM
That aerial shot of the woods looked exactly like Twilight. I hope it's not a carbon copy of that or anything else (haven't seen Company of Wolves. I do like the idea.

Toothpaste
11-20-2010, 12:27 AM

Not sure why you'd think that. Considering it's clear Craig's character has an odd connection to the aliens and doesn't seem to remember why, there are a lot of possible outcomes that could result in a somewhat believable defeating of the aliens. It's not like it's just a bunch of cowboys fighting aliens. Though . . . I mean . . .that's what the title suggests :) .

Wait. You have seen the trailer right?: http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/cowboys-and-aliens.html

defcon6000
11-20-2010, 12:35 AM
Not sure why you'd think that. Considering it's clear Craig's character has an odd connection to the aliens and doesn't seem to remember why, there are a lot of possible outcomes that could result in a somewhat believable defeating of the aliens. It's not like it's just a bunch of cowboys fighting aliens. Though . . . I mean . . .that's what the title suggests :) .

Wait. You have seen the trailer right?: http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/cowboys-and-aliens.html
That looks SO amazing. Wish it had a better title, but oh well. I'm just glad it isn't another remake or reboot.

And man does Harrison Ford looks ragged.

LOG
11-20-2010, 12:39 AM
He looks good ragged, he should stop trying to look young.

defcon6000
11-20-2010, 12:43 AM
We should all stop trying to look young. ;)

Toothpaste
11-20-2010, 01:00 AM
When has Harrison Ford tried to look young?

In any event, he certainly looks his age in the this one. In a good way :) .

Day O'
11-20-2010, 01:01 AM

I was just thinking, like last month, of that movie and how I wanted to watch it again as an adult, and see if it still seemed to capture that fairy tale feel I remember as a teenager.

After watching the trailer of this 'new' one, I'm more interested in re-watching The Company of Wolves.

defcon6000
11-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Just watched The Company of Wolves. :D

A little heavy-handed on the symbolism but one of the better werewolves movies I've seen.

Celia Cyanide
11-21-2010, 12:50 AM
Apparently Leonardo DiCaprio and Catherine Hardwicke think having a mature version of Red Riding Hood is somehow terribly original. (http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/161-leonardo-dicaprio-gives-red-riding-hood-the-twilight-treatment)

I'm sure they have. It doesn't sound anything like that film.

LOG
11-21-2010, 08:42 AM
I'm sure they have. It doesn't sound anything like that film.

How does it being dissimilar make a good argument for them having not seen it?

Celia Cyanide
11-21-2010, 09:16 AM
How does it being dissimilar make a good argument for them having not seen it?

Why would you assume they had NOT seen it?

BeatrixKiddo
11-21-2010, 10:22 AM
I saw the trailer. I just don't care for Amanda Seyfried that much. (She bugs me for some reason) I'll go see it just for Gary Oldeman though. He's a sexy beast. (Loved him as Dracula years ago)

I enjoyed the Twilight movies (but I also enjoyed the books). But I just enjoyed them for what they were, nothing more. Teen angst, etc. As far as this movie getting the "Twilight" treatment, yeah, that is a bit much, but I suppose they're trying to appeal to that same demographic of teenage girls who dig forbidden romances. (Or 30 somethings like me who dig them too...hee)

If nothing else, I'll go see it for the special effects since I'm curious as to how the "Big Bad Wolf" (or werewolf in this movie?) will look. But that's because I've got a weakness for werewolves from way back.

LOG
11-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Why would you assume they had NOT seen it?
Because DiCaprio thinks having a Red Riding Hood with a mature/adult twist is something new.
"Wouldn’t it be cool to do a Gothic twist on Red Riding Hood, with the wolf being a werewolf, and just have a cool, sexy romantic thriller?" -Leonardo DiCaprio
Clearly TCOW is involved with Red Riding Hood, and it's quite surreal, if not gothic. TCOW has sex and romance subtext, as well as a rather close-encounter scene between the two. It's also definitely a thriller.
"Wouldn't it be cool..." has the connotation of him thinking it new; language works in parallels, the opposite implication of his statement being "Wouldn't it be uncool for this not to exist?"
But it does exist, in TCOW. For him to make that statement, he has to think it doesn't exist, so obviously he can't have seen it unless he completely forgot about seeing it in which case it doesn't matter if he did.

I will admit I unjustly applied that same line of thinking to Hardwicke though. It's possible she may have seen TCOW and is doing this because she thinks it's old enough not to draw too many parallels/comparisons from a teenage and young adult audience.

Celia Cyanide
11-21-2010, 12:34 PM
But it does exist, in TCOW. For him to make that statement, he has to think it doesn't exist, so obviously he can't have seen it unless he completely forgot about seeing it in which case it doesn't matter if he did.

And yet I HAVE seen The Company of Wolves, as Neil Jordan is one of my favorite filmmakers, and I do NOT believe the film he described exists in TCOW. It sounds very different.

DavidZahir
11-22-2010, 11:19 PM
I like the cast. I like the director. The trailer looks interesting. Methinks there's a lot of potential. Looking forward to learning more so I can have a stronger opinion (as opposed to the "spin" designed to stir up interest).