Leather care -- suede

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I know we have some horsie folks, cowboys and motorcyclists here. I just got a suede coat for outdoors stuff, literally a riding jacket, and I've only had dressy, prissy suede stuff before.

What do I do to protect it from the elements? It's kind of a dark tan color. I don't expect it to stay perfect-looking, but I know from suede gardening gloves that I probably want to use something on it.

My horsie friends aren't sure about suede. Does anyone have any favorite products?

Thanks!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Kiwi brand sells a good suede (and nubuck) protector in spray form. Lightly coat the jacket every four to six months or so, and it will hold up to the elements far better than without a protectant.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
There are leather/suede sprays for water proofing you can get at you local shoe store or tack shop. Suede does not shed water as well as leather so it will stain if not properly treated, or cleaned.

If you have the coat professionally cleaned, (which I recommend), you can also ask them about water proofing.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Thank y'all very much! Kiwi is an easy to brand to get, looks like. My local tack shop carries things with names that scare me :D

I figured on a board where folks know what to do when rams lock horns, I'd find someone who'd know what to do :ROFL: