PDA

View Full Version : Writer's Village University

leeblewb
11-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Just wondering, has anyone has taken any of the classes available through Writer's Village University ? I just came across their site and their fee seems reasonable if the classes are any good. I am a newbie, so I am not looking for in depth classes, just basic stuff. I think it is either $15 a month or $100 a year. Any infomation you could share would be appreciated.

Ambri
11-19-2010, 02:01 AM
First of all, welcome to AW. I think you'll find we're a pretty friendly bunch. Secondly, while I have not specifically heard of Writer's Village "University," I would be wary of spending money on something you can get for free. If you're new to writing, I would suggest reading some of the "sticky" threads here and in the novels forum, especially the "Uncle Jim learning how to write" threads. Once you've read through some of those, I would suggest heading over to your local library. Many of them have a good section on fiction writing. Some of the better books on writing fiction (just off the top of my head) are:

Goal, Motivation, and Conflict by Debra Dixon
Writing the Breakout Novel, by Donald Maas (well-known agent)
And well-known writers, including Ursula LeGuin, Stephen King, and Ben Bova have all written pretty good books on aspects of the craft. If all else fails, you might google something that's troubling you, like "How to plot a novel" and see if you can find some helpful blog with a good article or two.

Good luck!

Bricona
11-19-2010, 02:07 AM
First of all, welcome to AW. I think you'll find we're a pretty friendly bunch. Secondly, while I have not specifically heard of Writer's Village "University," I would be wary of spending money on something you can get for free.

Agreed. I spent thousands of dollars on guitar lessons, books, and recordings when I really should've got a computer scraped across any free software or information I could find.

If you're going to do something, make sure you know it through and through. Understand everything and research everything. Find out recommendations and make sure you'll come out with everything you wanted.

Good luck!

Wayne K
11-19-2010, 02:23 AM
Try this (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6710) It's free, and it's great

brainstorm77
11-19-2010, 02:27 AM
Never heard of it. But you could do a search in the Bewares section here to see if anything comes up.

leeblewb
11-19-2010, 05:10 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions. I have been lurking here for a while and have gotten great info. from some of the sticky's. Thanks again.