PDA

View Full Version : Movies (or Movie Trailers) That Introduced You to Music

Jcomp
11-18-2010, 06:33 PM
The Life Aquatic introduced me to "Life on Mars" and several other David Bowie songs.

Children of Men introduced me to Crimson King.

The original trailer to The Signal introduced me to Lou Reed's "Perfect Day."

And most recently, the eerily captivating trailer for Battle Los Angeles introduced me to a song I can't stop singing, "Sun's Gone Dim".

Have you had a movie introduce you to music you enjoyed but hadn't heard before? Do share.

dirtsider
11-19-2010, 06:20 PM
I had an opposite experience. I have the sound track to Children of Dune because I really loved a song. (The rest of the soundtrack's good, too.) Funny thing was, that same song was used as the background music for the Master and Commander TV ads. I laughed the first time I heard it for the ad.

The soundtrack for Lost Boys introduced me to the song I Still Believe and I went in search of the original. I think I like the Lost Boys version better.

katiemac
11-19-2010, 06:35 PM
I pick up more music from television shows than I do from movies.

seun
11-19-2010, 08:50 PM
The original trailer to The Signal introduced me to Lou Reed's "Perfect Day."

Had you not seen Trainspotting beforehand?

As for me, a piece of music by Brian Eno in 28 Days Later...I knew Eno before, but hadn't really paid attention to him. Can't say I'm a huge fan now, but that piece of music...:Thumbs:

Jcomp
11-19-2010, 08:55 PM
I've still not seen Trainspotting. I have friends who regularly chastise me about this. It is my hidden shame, now bared for the world to see...

*flees*

SaraP
11-20-2010, 06:42 AM
I saw C'era una volta il West (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064116/) exclusively because of the Ennio Morricone song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICvrJiclA1k) I heard in the trailer (and it turned out to be one hell of a movie).

Kathleen42
11-20-2010, 08:30 AM
As for me, a piece of music by Brian Eno in 28 Days Later...I knew Eno before, but hadn't really paid attention to him. Can't say I'm a huge fan now, but that piece of music...:Thumbs:

Oh man. I must have listened to "In the House -- In a Heartbeat" 20 times last weekend. Love it.

Hmmm...

I think the big one, in my case, is Blackpool. "The Boy With the Thorn in His Side" was used in one of the episodes and it was my gateway into The Smiths.

Oh and Bella Martha introduced me to "Via con me" by Paolo Conte (which I adore).

The only other example I can think of is The Fountain which introduced me to Clint Mansell and Kronos Quartet.

seun
11-20-2010, 03:50 PM
I've still not seen Trainspotting. I have friends who regularly chastise me about this. It is my hidden shame, now bared for the world to see...

*flees*

Not seen Trainspotting? :Jaw:

RandomJerk
11-20-2010, 06:15 PM
I am told I should watch Trainspotting as well. Very good soundtrack.

For me, the #1 movie that pops into my head is Lost Highway. Has to be one of the worst movies around, but one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. Most of it new to me. Johnny Mnemonic is another terrible movie with a good soundtrack, but those were mostly bands I knew of.

I think Gladiator would apply to most people not familiar with Dead Can Dance, et al.

Kathleen42
11-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Not seen Trainspotting? :Jaw:
I've not seen it either. Which is really bad since I love Danny Boyle.

BeatrixKiddo
11-21-2010, 10:31 AM
I love movie soundtracks. Always did. (Just bought the one for Inception)

I can honestly say Amadeus introduced me to Mozart's music. (Still love that movie)

I used to love the theme song for The Neverending Story. That kind of introduced me to checking out music from other countries besides my own.

triceretops
11-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Napolean Dynamite gave me When In Rome.

Oh, and the Blade Runner music.

Tri

Manuel Royal
11-21-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm not an Oliver Stone fan, but Natural Born Killers got me listening to Leonard Cohen.

Ken
11-21-2010, 06:33 PM
... just in general, Looney Tunes introduced me to jazz. Lots of soundtrack featuring such on many toons. Some classical masterpieces as well, most famously Ride of the Valkeries performed by Elmer Fudd and Buggs Bunny in a staged opera. Daffy Duck did a number too in a toon with Swan Lake soundtrack. And these toons from the 40s did originally air in movie theatres so they are movies of sorts.

Calla Lily
11-21-2010, 08:44 PM
... just in general, Looney Tunes introduced me to jazz. Lots of soundtrack featuring such on many toons. Some classical masterpieces as well, most famously Ride of the Valkeries performed by Elmer Fudd and Buggs Bunny in a staged opera. Daffy Duck did a number too in a toon with Swan Lake soundtrack. And these toons from the 40s did originally air in movie theatres so they are movies of sorts.

This! You beat me to it, Ken.

I actually got an answer right on a test in middle school because of a Bugs Bunny cartoon. (The one where he's bugging the tenor and shows up at his recital dressed as a famous conductor.)

ceenindee
11-21-2010, 09:28 PM
The Terminator Salvation trailer introduced me to an awesome version of the NIN song, "The Day the World Went Away." I repeated it for at least a month afterwards.

Ken
11-21-2010, 10:46 PM
(The one where he's bugging the tenor and shows up at his recital dressed as a famous conductor.)

... that was an hilarious episode too as I recall :-D
I think Warner Bros hired live bands to play for some episodes? Exceptionally good.

Zoombie
11-22-2010, 01:26 AM
And most recently, the eerily captivating trailer for Battle Los Angeles introduced me to a song I can't stop singing, "Sun's Gone Dim".

Samesies!

And, though they don't count as movie trailers, the trailers for Dragons Age (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D5wTYmcBX4) and Mass Effect 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5DL6jFXfhM) got me hooked on 30 Seconds to Mars AND Two Steps From Hell.

Enzo
11-22-2010, 08:15 AM
'Jackie Brown' made me as enthusiastic about some old soul music as it did some of the characters in the movie itself. After I first saw that film, I went straight to the music store to buy the CD.

Eudoxia
11-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Whip It had a lot of good songs in it. I am now a musical fan of Tilly and the Wall and the Go! Team.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
12-06-2010, 12:10 AM
When I was in high school, "Times Square" got me into Roxy Music, XTC, and several other bands I still love to this day.

Several years later, "Valley Girl" got me into The Plimsouls and Gary Myrick.

Zoombie
12-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Oh yeah, and Highlander introduced me to Queen!