PDA

View Full Version : Banned?

DeaK
11-17-2010, 02:17 AM
Uggh. I did a search and couldn't find an answer, but I'm sure it's here somewhere. Then didn't know where to ask... Anywhoha.

When someone is banned it shows up under their username? How does one know how long they will be banned for? Or is it always and forever? Can they still receive personal messages?

Thanks in advance.
/Dea

Soccer Mom
11-17-2010, 03:49 AM
When someone is banned and they try to log in, they get a message telling them why they are banned. It rarely comes as a surprise. Usually there are warnings and mod interatction before a ban becomes necessary. Folks can receive anything from a brief time-out to reconsider their board interactions to a permanent ban for infinity and beyond.

DeaK
11-17-2010, 03:57 AM
Cool – thank you. Yes, I could definitely see it coming to this particular person I have in mind. But there were a few (uncontroversial) threads that this person participated in, and I think they may have more to say. So I'm just wondering: is there any way for me (someone not banned) to know if someone banned might be coming back? And when?

Soccer Mom
11-17-2010, 04:07 AM
It usually says "In time-out for my sins" if it is a temporary ban. If you want to know if a particular person is permanently banned, you can always PM a mod and ask. We may not be willing to divulge all the details of behind the scenes conversations due to privacy, but we're always willing to tell you if a ban is permanent of not.

CaoPaux
11-17-2010, 04:12 AM
"Banned" means banned.

Phrases like "In Time-Out For My Sins" or "Taking a Short Break" refer to temporary bans, the length of which depends on the infraction. If the Mod considers it public business, s/he will note the term when announcing the ban.

Izz
11-17-2010, 04:15 AM
And if someone's user title says 'Self-banned' that means they've asked to be banned for a certain period of time (which could be anything for a day to months or longer).

Reasons for self-banning vary, but i think most factor around how addictive AW can be.

DeaK
11-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Thanks everyone!

Marian Perera
11-17-2010, 06:48 AM
Phrases like "In Time-Out For My Sins" or "Taking a Short Break" refer to temporary bans, the length of which depends on the infraction.

Is "Time-Out" shorter?

Arik_the_Red
11-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Out of respect for various religious perspectives that might be represented amongst the members, maybe say, "Sent to the Corner!" ;)

Silver King
11-25-2010, 06:02 AM
Is "Time-Out" shorter?
Both mean the same duration, usually from three days to a week or so.

Out of respect for various religious perspectives that might be represented amongst the members, maybe say, "Sent to the Corner!" ;)
Yes, but then some folks might claim that their religion requires them to pray in a corner, and where would we be then?

Wayne K
11-25-2010, 07:10 AM
How about "sleeping with the fishes?"

Silver King
11-25-2010, 07:27 AM
How about "sleeping with the fishes?"
I like that one a lot. It sounds permanent yet serene.

Cella
11-25-2010, 07:44 AM
you just like it cuz it says "fishes" ;)

Silver King
11-25-2010, 07:56 AM
By the way, the easiest means to find out why members have been banned is to check out their most recent post history, which is usually very telling; but if nothing seems obvious there, then you can sometimes bet the infraction occurred behind the scenes via PMs or Rep comments between them and mods or other members. And if that doesn't solve the mystery, then it's most likely an accumulation of straws that finally snapped the camel's spine, as they say.

Either way, regardless the reason, it should hardly ever come as a surprise to those who are banned, as they would have been warned over and over before they were sent adrift.

Esmeralda
11-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Set adrift sounds too serene Sliver King.
Sent to the corner is also very mild.
While I'm new here, I can readily imagine why some would be banned.
I lurked for so long because I was afraid something I said might be interrpted the wrong way. Not as bashing someone, simply showing my inexperience and having someone laugh.
We are not all as highly educated as some, but we are a community, and as such, need to show respect for all our members.
Thank you to all the mods for watching out for us and for running a good show.
I learn something new here every time I open up AW.

Cyia
11-27-2010, 12:05 AM
Don't worry about a slip of the tongue getting you banninated, Esmeralda. It's actually pretty hard to get banned here. People have to put a real effort into it. (Or simply insult chihuahuas in front of Haggis.)

Stlight
11-27-2010, 12:55 AM
Happy to find this thread, because now I feel free to ask something I've wondered about for awhile. If you're banned can you still read the threads? Or are you banned from the site entirely - not only no posting, but no reading - complete exile?

Esmeralda
11-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Ah, I wasn't worried about getting banned Cyia, just about looking foolish.

brainstorm77
11-27-2010, 01:52 AM
When I was banned(yes I was), I could visit the site and read posts but could not sign in.

When you are banned and you try to sign in, a message will come up with your ban reason.