Can I query more than one?

Writer's Block

Summoner Megan
Registered
Reaction score
I am currently seeking an agent (arn't we all!) and I had a question. Is it all right to query multipul agents at a time, or do you query one and wait for a responce before querying another? I thought it was the later, but now I am not so sure. Thank you!

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
You are expected to query multiple agents. Most suggest you query in smal batches, say 5-10 so you can gauge responses and revise your query accordingly if you need to. Make sure not to query agents at the same agency AT THE SAME TIME. Some agencies are fine with querying other agents after you've been rejected by one, just read their policies carefully.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I only ever have 3 submissions out at once.

Do you mean simultaneous submissions, or are you offering multiple MS to the same agent?

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't query more than say 20 (ideally less) before waiting to get some sense of how your query is working, but people usually query several agents at a pop

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Get yourself a list of agents who rep your genre, then query in batches of whatever size you're comfortable with. That way if you get no response, you can try and tweak your query before the next batch.

Writer's Block

Summoner Megan
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much! I'm sure this seemed like a very stupid and nood-like question, but I really appreciate all your answers. You all rock!

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Thank you very much! I'm sure this seemed like a very stupid and nood-like question, but I really appreciate all your answers. You all rock!

everyone's gotta learn.

i will say, if you are killing time then looking back through several pages of threads in the various forums, you can learn a hell of a lot. also, I sent a link to agentquery--check their other sections besides just agent listings--they have a lot of info there on querying, submissions, etc.

Buena Suerte, pizza-slinger :tongue

Kristoff

Registered
Reaction score
"Query widely, query often." - Miss Snark.

Also, when you make your list of peeps to query, you might to consider putting your top picks a little ways down the list. Your query will probably evolve/improve as you get rejected, and your ms probably will too (despite trying your absolute best to make it perfect before you start querying, you will inevitably spot things to change).

Some folks will disagree with this one though, so take it (as all advice) with a grain of salt.