Frankfurter

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
If I say I had a frankfurter for lunch, do you know exactly what it was? Would most people from UK, US and AU know what is it?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm from Canada. I know what it is.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the US frankfurter kind of has two meanings (a wiener or hot dog), and a true frankfurter (sausage).

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Ok, so for some people frankfurter would mean a sausage plus bread, what makes a complete hot dog. I need to describe amount of certain nutrients in selected foods, so I probably need to say a "soft sausage" to be exact.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would probably just used a tighter definition (" . . . a frankfurter by itself contains . . . ").

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Ok, so for some people frankfurter would mean a sausage plus bread, what makes a complete hot dog. I need to describe amount of certain nutrients in selected foods, so I probably need to say a "soft sausage" to be exact.
If you said 'soft sausage', I wouldn't have any idea whatsoever what you were talking about. Lol!

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
LOL - for a moment, I was thinking the Rocky Horror show.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
You may have another problem. I would first think hotdog for the word frankfurter, but if you're doing nutritional information, some hotdogs (the ones we eat) are all beef. Others are made from pieces of pork, and etc.. You will need to describe it more fully.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
In the US frankfurter kind of has two meanings (a wiener or hot dog), and a true frankfurter (sausage).

I've never heard this, but maybe that's what happens in Tenn.

While wiener, hot dog, frankfurter are all recognized all over the USA, usage is usually regional. Most would recognize the term 'red hot' for a hot dog but it's usage is confined mostly to baseball park hot dog vendors.

Wiener (and only wiener) also means penis, so if you said, "He stood there, his wiener in his hand," that would not mean hot dog, red hot or frankfurter.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
give yer head a shake. that's Frank N Furter.

Yeah, I know. Recently saw an ad for Rocky Horror and glancing quickly through the forums first thing in the morning without actually paying attention makes for amusing double takes.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score

Maybe that's true in Tennessee, but I've lived in the US my whole life, and wherever I've lived, "frankfurter" meant "hot dog" and "sausage" meant "sausage."

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with 'hot dog' if you don't mean the more German, real-sausage versions.

Around here, frankfurter often means the real sausage one, too. My town was still German-speaking very late, so I'm sure it's probably regional.

Hot dog always means the American hot dog one, as far as I'm aware. Beef, chicken, pork or mixed? That's all covered in 'hot dog', I think. It could be nearly anything, lol :D

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
If I think hot dog, then I usually think of the whole sandwich. I would think of Frankfurter as the sausage inside the sandwich, which I might refer to as a 'hot dog sausage'. But we warned, I am anything but a sausage expert and I don't particularly like them!

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
I think of JFK

A berliner:

800px-Berliner-Pfannkuchen.jpg

source:Wikimedia

Last edited:

Wayne K