Can the writing process be assisted by drug use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Backward OX

XO drawkcaB ehT
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
My creative writing has always been a struggle. And I am by nature an uptight person. The two don’t go together. I don’t drink. I wondered whether unwinding with the use of pot might help.

Thoughts?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Works okay for world building and brainstorming, but needs a lot of organizing after the fact. Prose is useless.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Backward Ox,

Whoa. Kind of both surprised and amused you would post such a question.

If you want a successful author's take on drugs and writing, read On Writing by Stephen King. He is against the use of drugs to help the writing process.

We all probably have areas we need to overcome. Forget the pot and sit down and write. :)

Deleted member 42

The problem with pot or other chemicals is that they can permanently affect your writing process adversely.

I'd look at other options; meditation, yoga, physical exercise (even just walking or riding a bike). They work and have positive influences around other realms of life as well.

Try picking up a creative hobby that uses the half of your brain; painting, sculpture, drawing, music . . .

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ironing. Ironing is great. Ruv Draba thinks so, too....

The Backward OX

XO drawkcaB ehT
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I run four times a week totaling 15 miles a week. Gets those endorphins going, which assist in writing creativity.
I agree with this as perhaps the best solution. A writer friend runs, and his output is prolific. In my case a misshapen right foot prevents me. I'd taken up cycling as an alternative and now an arthritic knee threatens that. I'm running out of options.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your foot, Ox. My eldest son has talipes and although it doesn't hold him back much it does affect his running.

Swimming's an option. As is walking: exercising outside is particularly good for sparking creativity.

MeredithD

Registered
Reaction score
Somebody above mentioned King's On Writing -- it's been a while since I read it, but it also came to my mind, albeit in service of a different thought. He certainly wrote some of his most famous books when high as a kite.

That said, it seems to me that if drugs did help you write more enjoyably or prolifically, that would be a quick -- perhaps the quickest -- road to addiction. And King's history illustrates that point, as well.

Bottom line: no matter how much it means to you, writing isn't worth your health.*

*Unless, um, we're talking wrist health or something. Damn you, carpal tunnel!

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Yeah, King has talked pretty openly about the damage drugs and alcohol did to his body, mind, and family. He got to the point where he was waking up in pools of his own vomit and afraid he couldn't write without being wasted.

I agree with SusanL that a good healthy hobby that stimulates the release of happy neurochemicals is best. Exercise would be my first recommendation, too. Failing that, tell us some things you like, and we can make more targeted suggestions. Are you an outdoors person? Indoors? What do you like to do?

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Somebody above mentioned King's On Writing -- it's been a while since I read it, but it also came to my mind, albeit in service of a different thought. He certainly wrote some of his most famous books when high as a kite.

And he regrets it. Very much. He wrote KUJO entirely in a blackout. He doesn't remember writing a word of it. The sad part is, he loves that book, and wishes he could remember the moments when he came up with all his favorite passages.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
As someone who suffers from depressive moods and an anxiety disorder, I can't understand why someone would do an activity that would self-inflict those illnesses.

Pot is also linked to Alzhemiers. As a writer, do you really want to lose your faculties like that?

Reaction score
I feel like skinning up just to piss off all the self-righteous anti-pot people now.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I smoke pot when I write. It relaxes me. I have a serious anxiety disorder and weed is the only thing that keeps me seated for long periods of time

I think its a case by case thing.

Oshodisa

Registered
Reaction score
Try picking up a creative hobby that uses the half of your brain; painting, sculpture, drawing, music . . .

I can agree with this - I've recently taken up pottery (at the behest of my girlfriend). It had never appealed to me at all, but since starting it I have enjoyed it so much, and my writing has improved in both clarity and volume.

Still along way to go but I have something different that gets 'the juices' going.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My creative writing has always been a struggle. And I am by nature an uptight person. The two don’t go together. I don’t drink. I wondered whether unwinding with the use of pot might help.

Thoughts?

Seriously. You have to think this over. It's kind of like saying, "Would I be more productive as a creative person if I took up alcoholism or mental illness?"

Get a grip. Find a way to marry your creativity to the uptightness. I'm uptight. I'm flighty. I'm crazy. I'm bent. I'm unmotivated. I'm lazy. I generally don't give a shit. I'm hard on myself. I'm negative. I'm anal. I'm OCD. I'm a lot of things. That doesn't mean I don't harnass my creativity and make it work for me. I'm not about to start shooting things up my nose or veins, or inhaling things or drinking things in order to become a better creative person.

Rethink your motivation here.

THIS QUESTION YOU ASK IS A TOTAL FAIL ON YOUR PART.

Reaction score
Seriously. You have to think this over. It's kind of like saying, "Would I be more productive as a creative person if I took up alcoholism or mental illness?"
Depends. Would we be talking about manic depression?

Yes, some forms of mental illness do make you more productive. I know this from experience. And no, it's not all unpublishable shit.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Depends. Would we be talking about manic depression?

Yes, some forms of mental illness do make you more productive. I know this from experience. And no, it's not all unpublishable shit.

Whoa, sister. Read my post...I was being facetious. You can't 'take up' mental illness. And I know...I am BP. It's an amazing gift to my creativity. But that's not what I was saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.