Depression

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a character who suffers from depression, but I don't know much about the symptoms or the behavioural traits a person would exhibit. I realize this is a sensitive topic, but if anyone would be willing to share their experiences, I'd sincerely appreciate it. If you're more comfortable talking in 'private', please feel free to PM me.

Knowing how the illness impacts other family members--specifically children--is of particular interest,so if anyone had a parent or sibling with the disease, that's a perpsective I really need.

Thank you in advance.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just offering a secondary idea. It could be that the character is becoming an alcoholic (or is just drinking way too much), which is making a mild case of depression much worse. That could complicate the character's relationship with family and friends.

Again, just an idea; I know that's not what you're asking.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Externally, a depressed person might appear withdrawn, indifferent, lethargic, uncaring. They disengage from others around them. Some might gain weight, others lose it.

Internally, a depressed person is often aware that they are being withdrawn, indifferent, etc but they are unable to do anything to change it. Some (but not all) may also have suicidal thoughts.

It can be a sort of surreal experience at times. And differs based on the individual. Do you know why your character is depressed?

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
Just offering a secondary idea. It could be that the character is becoming an alcoholic (or is just drinking way too much), which is making a mild case of depression much worse. That could complicate the character's relationship with family and friends.

This one is especially tricky, because some people suffering from depression will 'self-medicate' with alcohol because they think they feel better while inebriated. However, alcohol is a depressant, so it exacerbates the situation, a sort of depressive downward spiral.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Didn't you beta read my book where my MC attempts suicide? :tongue He was pretty depressed. It can manifest in a lot of different ways. What fits your story? Some people get angry when they start to get depressed. Some people withdraw. Some sleep all day. Some will burst into tears over what seems like nothing, because it's just the last straw. I'm pretty sure I had severe post-partum depression after my third child, but I didn't get diagnosed. I would just sit and rock him and cry. I was so tired and so deeply unhappy. It was horrible.:cry:

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
My husband suffers from serious depression and I've had my own run-ins with it. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM.

I'd say the most prominent symptom is pervasive, paralyzing despair. He's described it as like living at the bottom of the well and looking up at the sky ("normal life"). Some of the less well known symptoms include major disruptions of the sleep cycle -- DH was constantly tired and could sleep 14 hours, get up for a few hours, and then be so tired he went back to bed. It wasn't apnea and it wasn't narcolepsy. He also suffered from gruesomely violent nightmares on most nights.

Fortunately, we found medications that help a great deal. I can't imagine what people went through before SSRIs.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I've lived with episodes for the last almost twenty years, it's gotten worse and sometimes better over the years, especially as I am coping with a disabled child. When I go through a bad episode it can strike one of two ways. Either I simple can't bring myself to do anything and want to sleep or I don't sleep at all, for days on end. During that time I can become manic and get a million and one things done.
I am very open about it. I have never felt depression is something to be hidden or ashamed of. It's part of who I am.
My siblings and father are aware of it to some point. I'm not sure they understand the extent of it. Likewise my partner does his best when I'm having bad days. He has admitted he doesn't really know how to deal with me at times. I can get slightly hysterical if I'm upset. My son sees me on days I can't go to work, he's seen me upset. He'll ask if I'm okay which makes it worse.
The thing about me is I can hide it well. I recently struggled for a long period and when I came out the other end I told my friends what had been going on. None of them realized, because I can act like nothing is wrong very well.
At the moment I've been unmedicated for a couple of months, I'm using other methods to cope. I will probably be medicated again at some point in the future but I'll think about that then. For the most part I function normally.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say the first relevant question is whether the depression is mostly psychological, i.e. caused by circumstance or past experiences, or whether it's mostly physical, caused by a specific brain chemistry. Well, if recovery from depression is going to matter at least. The condition itself isn't really different.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score

Again, just an idea; I know that's not what you're asking.

That's actually a good idea--and would be interesting from the perspective of a young teenager.

Posted by jeseymour:
Didn't you beta read my book where my MC attempts suicide? :tongue He was pretty depressed. It can manifest in a lot of different ways. What fits your story? Some people get angry when they start to get depressed. Some people withdraw. Some sleep all day. Some will burst into tears over what seems like nothing, because it's just the last straw. I'm pretty sure I had severe post-partum depression after my third child, but I didn't get diagnosed. I would just sit and rock him and cry. I was so tired and so deeply unhappy. It was horrible.:cry:
I remember that but he's a totally different character (in more ways than one). ;)
My MC is the mother of two teens (one 14, one 18). Husband is a workaholic--and they're well off. She used to work, but quit because of the depression. I need for her to be detached--if that works. Because I know so little about depression, want to make sure her emotional state and actions are realistic.

Last edited:

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
My husband suffers from serious depression and I've had my own run-ins with it. If you have specific questions, feel free to PM.

I'd say the most prominent symptom is pervasive, paralyzing despair. He's described it as like living at the bottom of the well and looking up at the sky ("normal life"). Some of the less well known symptoms include major disruptions of the sleep cycle -- DH was constantly tired and could sleep 14 hours, get up for a few hours, and then be so tired he went back to bed. It wasn't apnea and it wasn't narcolepsy. He also suffered from gruesomely violent nightmares on most nights.

Fortunately, we found medications that help a great deal. I can't imagine what people went through before SSRIs.

This is precisely what I'm looking for--thank you! I might take you up on that offer and PM with questions. :)

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I've lived with episodes for the last almost twenty years, it's gotten worse and sometimes better over the years, especially as I am coping with a disabled child. When I go through a bad episode it can strike one of two ways. Either I simple can't bring myself to do anything and want to sleep or I don't sleep at all, for days on end. During that time I can become manic and get a million and one things done.
I am very open about it. I have never felt depression is something to be hidden or ashamed of. It's part of who I am.
My siblings and father are aware of it to some point. I'm not sure they understand the extent of it. Likewise my partner does his best when I'm having bad days. He has admitted he doesn't really know how to deal with me at times. I can get slightly hysterical if I'm upset. My son sees me on days I can't go to work, he's seen me upset. He'll ask if I'm okay which makes it worse.
The thing about me is I can hide it well. I recently struggled for a long period and when I came out the other end I told my friends what had been going on. None of them realized, because I can act like nothing is wrong very well.
At the moment I've been unmedicated for a couple of months, I'm using other methods to cope. I will probably be medicated again at some point in the future but I'll think about that then. For the most part I function normally.

Is there a difference between 'depression' and 'manic depression'? If one suffers from depression, do they also have (or could they develop) manic depression, ie., are they related disorders?

I'm going to Google this but thought I'd throw it out here too. :)

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a difference between 'depression' and 'manic depression'?
Yes. What used to be manic depression is now referred to a bi-polar disorder. (Well, manic depression is an old term also used for lots of other mood disorder that are now more clearly defined)
If one suffers from depression, do they also have (or could they develop) manic depression, ie., are they related disorders?
People with bi-polar disorder suffer from depressive episodes that can be somewhat similar to depression, but it'd be very unlikely to mistake one for another. It might be possible to mistake someone with a very light case of bi-polar disorder for someone with a light and irregular case of depression.
Simply put, bi-polar disorder is characterized by regular (as in reoccurring, not on a schedule) and pretty drastic mood swings, depression isn't.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. What used to be manic depression is now referred to a bi-polar disorder. (Well, manic depression is an old term also used for lots of other mood disorder that are now more clearly defined)
People with bi-polar disorder suffer from depressive episodes that can be somewhat similar to depression, but it'd be very unlikely to mistake one for another. It might be possible to mistake someone with a very light case of bi-polar disorder for someone with a light and irregular case of depression.
Simply put, bi-polar disorder is characterized by regular (as in reoccurring, not on a schedule) and pretty drastic mood swings, depression isn't.

Ah, that makes sense. My character suffers from depression and not bi-polar then. (Thank you) :)

This reminds me of that show "E.R.". Didn't Sally Field's character suffer from bi-polar disorder or do I have the wrong show? I remember her having drastic mood swings---up for days and then rock bottom.

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I had no eyebrows or eyelashes because I pulled them out. Also I'd stay in my bed for hours with the door shut. I don't know whether that helps much.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I had no eyebrows or eyelashes because I pulled them out. Also I'd stay in my bed for hours with the door shut. I don't know whether that helps much.

But what compelled you to do this--anxiety? Staying in bed for hours seems to be a common symptom based on the responses here--overall fatigue, etc. Thanks!

(Vampire Diaries === great show, btw!!! :D)

Reaction score
I heard a talk about this once, where the speaker said he'd like to relate something a female friend had told him.

She'd said, "Take the worst physical pain you've ever felt. Multiply it by ten. Now take away the cause."

I approached him afterwards and said, "Yes. That's me."

I go into hibernation, too. I stock up on the bare minimum to keep me alive - milk, teabags, bread. Maybe dry biscuits. Or boiled sweets (hard candy, I think you'd call it) to keep up my blood sugar without having to eat a proper meal. It's not that I suddenly turn anorexic; it's that I lose my appetite. The thought of food makes me sick.

I lock the door, get changed into my pyjamas and stay in bed for as long as it takes to stop thinking I'm the world's ugliest, most useless, talentless, hopeless, good-for-nothing cunt. (And no, I don't use that word in all seriousness very often, but I do here).

Too, being raised a Catholic and being taught the greatest sin is despair, that's another thing to beat myself up about.

Weird thing is I'm so tired, but at the same time unable to sleep. I just kinda...doze on and off.

The worst of it lasts for three, four days, but I can have that 'walking through treacle' feeling for weeks afterwards.

Whoa. I make myself sound like a total sad sack there. But anyway. The fact I'm online and speaking shows I'm not. ;) It's when I go quiet than I'm likely having one of my episodes.

But you asked about parent/child relationships. I wonder if my mother wasn't a fruit loop too, although her behaviour was...shall we say...mercurial. I never knew whether I'd get nice Mummy or nasty Mummy. She could, I kid you not, turn on a dime. One minute she'd shower you with affection and you'd be Mummy's Little Princess, the next her fists would start flying. Depression? Unlikely. Mental illness? Sounds like it.

A huge problem is getting other people to understand the difference between personality disorders, character weaknesses and mental illness. No one chooses to be depressed, so often depressed folk will, as I do, hibernate - not to seek attention or make others worry, but it's honest-to-goodness "They won't understand so I'd rather deal with it in my own way."

Reaction score
If you're interested in finding out more about bipolar disorder, google Stephen Fry's The Secret Life of a Manic Depressive. I think the documentary is up on YouTube, in around ten parts.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I heard a talk about this once, where the speaker said he'd like to relate something a female friend had told him.

She'd said, "Take the worst physical pain you've ever felt. Multiply it by ten. Now take away the cause."

I approached him afterwards and said, "Yes. That's me."

I go into hibernation, too. I stock up on the bare minimum to keep me alive - milk, teabags, bread. Maybe dry biscuits. Or boiled sweets (hard candy, I think you'd call it) to keep up my blood sugar without having to eat a proper meal. It's not that I suddenly turn anorexic; it's that I lose my appetite. The thought of food makes me sick.

I lock the door, get changed into my pyjamas and stay in bed for as long as it takes to stop thinking I'm the world's ugliest, most useless, talentless, hopeless, good-for-nothing cunt. (And no, I don't use that word in all seriousness very often, but I do here).

Too, being raised a Catholic and being taught the greatest sin is despair, that's another thing to beat myself up about.

Weird thing is I'm so tired, but at the same time unable to sleep. I just kinda...doze on and off.

The worst of it lasts for three, four days, but I can have that 'walking through treacle' feeling for weeks afterwards.

Whoa. I make myself sound like a total sad sack there. But anyway. The fact I'm online and speaking shows I'm not. ;) It's when I go quiet than I'm likely having one of my episodes.

But you asked about parent/child relationships. I wonder if my mother wasn't a fruit loop too, although her behaviour was...shall we say...mercurial. I never knew whether I'd get nice Mummy or nasty Mummy. She could, I kid you not, turn on a dime. One minute she'd shower you with affection and you'd be Mummy's Little Princess, the next her fists would start flying. Depression? Unlikely. Mental illness? Sounds like it.

A huge problem is getting other people to understand the difference between personality disorders, character weaknesses and mental illness. No one chooses to be depressed, so often depressed folk will, as I do, hibernate - not to seek attention or make others worry, but it's honest-to-goodness "They won't understand so I'd rather deal with it in my own way."

Great info, SP. Thank you! Like someone else said upstream, I don't think depression should be a taboo topic either. It's a shame that some people still view it--illness in general--in such a negative light.

If someone approached you during your hibernation--how would you respond? Especially if it was a kid (your kid)? I guess what I'm getting at--are you beyond the ability to communicate, etc.? (That's not worded very well but hopefully you know what I mean). I'm hoping that if my character more or less "tunes out" the MC (her daughter), it's realistic.

If you're interested in finding out more about bipolar disorder, google Stephen Fry's The Secret Life of a Manic Depressive. I think the documentary is up on YouTube, in around ten parts.

Excellent--will check it out!

Reaction score
If someone tried to speak to me while I was hibernating...hmm. Interesting question, given that I have no children and live alone.

When I feel myself starting to slide down into that mood, I shut down. You could say, "How are you?" and it'd be the hardest question for me to answer. Inside I'm thinking, "You don't really care. Why bother asking? You want me to say 'fine' just so you can pootle along with your perfect life and think you've done your duty as a friend, well you fucking haven't so just piss off and leave me alone. You don't have a clue. Your patronising little throwaway remarks make me want to kill you. God, if I had the energy I'd punch you in the smug little face of yours but you know what? I just want to sleep. Now you're looking at me like I'm an idiot. Well fine, piss off. Go on, leave me alone. And die, while you're at it."

Tuning someone out would ring true for me. It's not a deliberate snub, it's honestly closer to "God, I can't handle this. I don't understand myself. You're expecting me to undertand another person?" For a writer, this inability to translate another person's words into thoughts and feelings is...crippling. Actually, not inability. More like, it's too exhausting and "I don't have the energy to deal with you. I can't do it."

There's a lot of anger inside as well (no! Really?) directed at people who are a) 'normal' or b) trying to help and failing.

Even, as I said, a simple question like 'how are you' isn't simple, because if I tell you the truth, you'll regret asking...and if I say 'fine', I'm lying.

And by the time the other person gets sick of waiting for an answer, the conversation's moved on, something's happened, another person approaches, whatever...or, I piss them off, which means they won't bother me again.

People think I'm being rude, but my thought processes just aren't normal. Getting out of bed in the morning is an ordeal. Speaking to other human beings? Dear God!:e2thud:

One advantage: you find out who your friends are. Really. And for this I would like to credit certain other AWers who know who they are. They think, "Hmm. SP's profile's disappeared and she hasn't posted in a while. I wonder...?" Finding a bunch of emails in my inbox when I crawl back to life all saying, "Hey. Miss you," or "Here's a photo of James Purefoy with his shirt off," make me smile.

Churchill called depression his black dog, which is probably the best description I've ever heard. I know there's a word for when you make something abstract more human or embody it in an animal, and I forget. Gah.

Reaction score
Anthropomorphism! That's it.

ETA: Applying human characteristics to animals or inanimate objects. Hmm. I'm sure there must be a word for applying human or animalistic traits to abstract concepts.

Clearly, I am too tired and need to be in bed.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I've suffered from clinical depression for most of my adult life. Spent three months in a psych facility back in '93. My son was 12 when that particular cycle started and it lasted for several years, so I can give you some insight on his reactions (we talked about it in later years) if you want to pm me...

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
If someone tried to speak to me while I was hibernating...hmm. Interesting question, given that I have no children and live alone.

When I feel myself starting to slide down into that mood, I shut down. You could say, "How are you?" and it'd be the hardest question for me to answer. Inside I'm thinking, "You don't really care. Why bother asking? You want me to say 'fine' just so you can pootle along with your perfect life and think you've done your duty as a friend, well you fucking haven't so just piss off and leave me alone. You don't have a clue. Your patronising little throwaway remarks make me want to kill you. God, if I had the energy I'd punch you in the smug little face of yours but you know what? I just want to sleep. Now you're looking at me like I'm an idiot. Well fine, piss off. Go on, leave me alone. And die, while you're at it."

Tuning someone out would ring true for me. It's not a deliberate snub, it's honestly closer to "God, I can't handle this. I don't understand myself. You're expecting me to undertand another person?" For a writer, this inability to translate another person's words into thoughts and feelings is...crippling. Actually, not inability. More like, it's too exhausting and "I don't have the energy to deal with you. I can't do it."

There's a lot of anger inside as well (no! Really?) directed at people who are a) 'normal' or b) trying to help and failing.

Even, as I said, a simple question like 'how are you' isn't simple, because if I tell you the truth, you'll regret asking...and if I say 'fine', I'm lying.

And by the time the other person gets sick of waiting for an answer, the conversation's moved on, something's happened, another person approaches, whatever...or, I piss them off, which means they won't bother me again.

People think I'm being rude, but my thought processes just aren't normal. Getting out of bed in the morning is an ordeal. Speaking to other human beings? Dear God!:e2thud:

One advantage: you find out who your friends are. Really. And for this I would like to credit certain other AWers who know who they are. They think, "Hmm. SP's profile's disappeared and she hasn't posted in a while. I wonder...?" Finding a bunch of emails in my inbox when I crawl back to life all saying, "Hey. Miss you," or "Here's a photo of James Purefoy with his shirt off," make me smile.

Churchill called depression his black dog, which is probably the best description I've ever heard. I know there's a word for when you make something abstract more human or embody it in an animal, and I forget. Gah.

This is perfect, SP, more than you know. The WIP is from the 14 year old's perspective, so now I have some ideas as to what the mother might be thinking when her daughter is trying to engage her. You've also given me some insight as to what the MC herself might be thinking, based on her mother's reaction (or non-reaction).

THANK YOU!! :Hug2:

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
But what compelled you to do this--anxiety? Staying in bed for hours seems to be a common symptom based on the responses here--overall fatigue, etc. Thanks!

(Vampire Diaries === great show, btw!!! :D)
Yes I think anxiety was a big part of it. I also think it is related to cutting, though on a smaller scale (though it possibly could have escalated had I not been taken out of the school). I liked the feeling of pulling out the hair, it felt good. The more I pulled out a time, the more satisfaction I got. It sounds so strange and I can't really explain it any better than that.

I also had no interest in anything. I didn't like music or movies or anything. There are two exceptions to that. I have a Harry Potter tattoo and plan on getting another and so many people who aren't that close to me have said that I'll regret it etc. But Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings were what got me through that time. I'd lie in bed just listening to the soundtracks over and over. My family were so supportive and finally got me out but everything just seemed so hopeless. Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings took me away from my world into another. I don't know how I would have been if I didn't have that escape.

Have you read Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta? It's a great book about a teenager whose mother is dealing with depression.

And yes, The Vampire Diaries rocks :D

Sarah Madara

Freeway stomper extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
If you read up on depression, you'll often find insomnia (especially waking early in the morning) and loss of appetite high on the list of symptoms. This is not my experience at all - I'm a sleeper and an eater. My kind is labeled "atypical depression," but it's not really any less common than the first kind.

My doctor told me once that the "typical" symptoms are more likely to occur in someone who has an isolated depressive episode later in life. The man who reaches his forties and has a breakdown, having had no obvious depression up to that point is an example. He said people who suffer a more chronic depression, usually starting in teens or twenties, often have more of the oversleeping and overeating.

Depression and sadness are very different, although they can coexist. Depression is more of an emptiness - I think depressives often make themselves sad because it is one of the few emotions they can still access. Fundamentally emotions are shutting down, and there is a loss of pleasure in everything. Connection to other people is almost impossible. It is a self-centered disorder. I say that without judgment; the depressed patient can't really help it. Depressed people are often caught in a vicious cycle of rumination.

Self-destructive behaviors range from binge eating to cutting or even suicide, of course. Often a depressed person will think obsessively about death (not necessarily suicide) without actually having any plans to hurt himself.

Two excellent books are "The Beast" (can't remember the author's name) and Styron's "Darkness Visible."