PDA

View Full Version : Freakin Telemarketers!

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 01:03 AM
I swear since joining that stupid do not call list we're getting more calls now than ever.

You have won a free trip! Wanna get out of debt? We're getting them all!

Ten minutes ago one called and when they started I hung up. Less than five minutes later the same guy who named himself started again and when I told him we are not interested and to not call back, he acted all stupid! I mean, come on.:Soapbox:

ETA: They always call just when we are sitting down for supper!

Mr Flibble
11-14-2010, 01:06 AM
Three methods.

1 - (probably only works in the UK) Demand to speak to the supervisor . Ask how in chuff they got your number when you aren't listed - and are they using an autodialer because that's naughty. Demand to be taken off their list before you invoke the Data Protection Act.

2 - Oh sure, can you hang on a minute - I need to go and turn the vegetables down. Leave them hanging for, oh, 15 minutes or so. They will have rung off. On their money :D

3 - Referee's whistle.

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 01:10 AM
I have placed the phone down and went about my business just to see how long they will talk before hanging up. I've let them run by the mouth for ten minutes to say I was never interested to start with(got an earfull with that one). I've hung up right after they started with their sales pitch... It just annoys the hell out of me.

Maryn
11-14-2010, 01:32 AM
If you are in the US, and have been on the do not call list for six weeks or more, they face a substantial fine for each violation of the list.

I found a website that explains how to file complaints of violations: http://www.ehow.com/how_5359598_handle-do-not-call-list.html

My own attempts (I really hate confrontation) usually result in insufficient information to file a claim. I get a lot of those calls "about your credit card--but there is not a problem with your card." They're recorded, but transfer you to a real person if you hold on.

Go for the jugular--these people suck!

Maryn, who has 18 calls yesterday, one personal

alleycat
11-14-2010, 01:37 AM
For me, it's AT&T (outsourced to India). They are the local land line phone company but I will never purchase any other services from them just because of their telemarketing calls.. The calls are constant. They did send a postcard lately about being able to opt out of being offered additional service, but I haven't arranged that yet (I tried, but I needed to have a phone bill handy and I didn't at the time).

rugcat
11-14-2010, 01:48 AM
If you are in the US, and have been on the do not call list for six weeks or more, they face a substantial fine for each violation of the list.

I found a website that explains how to file complaints of violations: http://www.ehow.com/how_5359598_handle-do-not-call-list.html

My own attempts (I really hate confrontation) usually result in insufficient information to file a claim. I get a lot of those calls "about your credit card--but there is not a problem with your card." They're recorded, but transfer you to a real person if you hold on.

Go for the jugular--these people suck!

Maryn, who has 18 calls yesterday, one personalYes, but they're very aware of that. If you start asking questions, like about the name and address of the company, they'll hang up. If you ask to speak to a supervisor, they'll hang up.

About the only thing that would work to get info would be to sign up with whatever it is. Not much of an solution.

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 01:58 AM
I'm in Canada but we also have do not call list thingie. I have managed to report two companies. Sadly, you don't get to know if they are fined or anything.

Rugrat is right, they will hang up if you ask questions. And most block their phone numbers from being seen. They know that you need the number to report them.

Maryn- 18 calls? That's just gross.

JamieB
11-14-2010, 02:30 AM
Just remember, these are people who need paychecks and they don't want to be making the calls any more than you want to be getting them, but it pays better than McDonalds. They just want to feed their kids too. I know having supervised them for 12 years.

I'm out of the call center now, working for the IT side of things at the same company, which, fortunately is one of the reputable ones who does abide by the laws and the DNC list. I know there are probably more companies that don't than ones who do. Trust me, I got rid of my land line because of all the calls, so I get it. But it works, or companies wouldn't be paying to have these calls made. I just ask that you remember there is a person trying to pay bills on the other end of the line who 99% of the time hates their job but has no alternative. They just do what they're getting paid to do, so please don't take the complaints about the industry out on them. And the whistle thing - that could injure someone.

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 02:38 AM
Just remember, these are people who need paychecks and they don't want to be making the calls any more than you want to be getting them, but it pays better than McDonalds. They just want to feed their kids too. I know having supervised them for 12 years.

I'm out of the call center now, working for the IT side of things at the same company, which, fortunately is one of the reputable ones who does abide by the laws and the DNC list. I know there are probably more companies that don't than ones who do. Trust me, I got rid of my land line because of all the calls, so I get it. But it works, or companies wouldn't be paying to have these calls made. I just ask that you remember there is a person trying to pay bills on the other end of the line who 99% of the time hates their job but has no alternative. They just do what they're getting paid to do, so please don't take the complaints about the industry out on them. And the whistle thing - that could injure someone.

I am on the Do Not Call List, so don't call me. And all are not innocent on the other end of that line.

I've been nice and have been blasted from the telemarketer for not wanting to listen to them. Like the guy who today when told I wasn't interested just plain hung up on me. Yup, that's polite. Further more, when I get the came call from the same company week after week, after telling them to not call me as far as I am concerned that's harassment.

JamieB
11-14-2010, 02:41 AM
Which is why I said this:

fortunately is one of the reputable ones who does abide by the laws and the DNC list. I know there are probably more companies that don't than ones who do. Trust me, I got rid of my land line because of all the calls, so I get it.

I know they're not all nice and polite and reputable. Some are.

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 02:45 AM
Which is why I said this:

I know they're not all nice and polite and reputable. Some are.

Well obviously I'm not talking about legit places. I'm talking about the crap that I mentioned in my other post.

scarletpeaches
11-14-2010, 02:48 AM
I haven't had a landline for three or four years now. I still get telemarketers on my mobile so now I ignore it for all calls bar those from a small amount of recognised numbers, and texts of course.

What I hate is the "Hello this is Whoever from Blah Blah, Ltd. It's a lovely day, isn't it? How are you?"

Look. I know there's a script. But you ain't fooling anyone. Stop trying to act like my best friend; I know you just want my money.

Which is why I never pick up the phone any more, unless it's a call from someone already stored in my phone book.

Cliff Face
11-14-2010, 02:49 AM
I used to work in telemarketing. I take great pride in the fact that I got fired from that job for not enough sales. Basically, I was too polite. If someone said they weren't interested, I'd thank them and say goodbye. Doesn't get a lot of sales that way.

But yes, JamieB is right. I had to do that job. I needed money, I didn't want to work in labouring anymore, and I didn't have qualifications for retail. The telemarketing place hired me after one interview, and I took the job. (And anyway - if I had refused the job, I would've lost my unemployment benefits outright for 6 months.) The government arranged the interview for me, so I had to go to that, and I was offered the job, so I had to take it.

But yes, I LOATHED that job.

Apparently, in a room that can only hold about 12 telemarketers (small company) they had an average yearly turnover of about 30 people. In the 6 months I was there, I saw about 10 people leave, usually after no more than 2 weeks in the chair. Within 2 months of my being fired, the boss had quit after a nervous breakdown, and the lead saleswoman (she always got more sales than anyone else) quit to start her own business, NOT in telemarketing.

There were about 4 people there who had been there longer than a year. All 4 of them had been there longer than 5 years.

One thing that scared the shit out of me was when someone I rang threatened to kill me. Seriously, no matter how much you hate those calls, don't threaten to kill the messenger. Even though I could tell this guy was joking, it was still terrible.

And as for the DNC list... sigh, my company was bad with that too. As in, we got our numbers from a government listing, and ANY numbers that had EVER been on that listing were STILL on there regardless of the DNC list.

And to make matters worse, we could only use a regional printout for a month, and then we had to print it out again. So instead of having a month's worth of information regarding who's on the DNC list, who's not interested, who wasn't home etc. instead of all that, we had a fresh printout.

So we would call the same DNC people every month, and cop an earful, and the same people who said they weren't interested (a lot of the time because they already had what we were selling) and we'd... cop an earful.

It's not a pleasant job for either the workers or the people they call. Don't make it worse by being a total arse about it...

All that said, if you are on the DNC list, try to report the companies that keep calling you. If successful, you'll be happier, and the workers will be happier because they're not calling people who are going to yell at them about the DNC list.

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 02:52 AM
So when the person calling you is being an arse, you are supposed to do what?

KTC
11-14-2010, 02:54 AM
I swear since joining that stupid do not call list we're getting more calls now than ever.

Ten minutes ago one called and when they started I hung up. Less than five minutes later the same guy who named himself started again and when I told him we are not interested and to not call back, he acted all stupid! I mean, come on.:Soapbox:

YEP! I joined the no-call list the very day it came into place. Didn't change a thing. Or maybe it caused me to get more of the calls. And you might notice that sometimes you'll pick up and there will be nobody there...that's an automatic thingy calling to see what time of the day you answer your phone...then you'll find that you get phone calls at THAT time.

I fucking hate them so fucking much veins pop in my brain whenever they call. I have become verbally abusive with them...and that's not me at all.

scarletpeaches
11-14-2010, 02:55 AM
So when the person calling you is being an arse, you are supposed to do what?Hang up.

Or start speaking in a Swedish accent which ends up in Pakistan via Wales, add a "No speaka di Inglese," for a flourish, then hang up.

rugcat
11-14-2010, 02:55 AM
It's not a pleasant job for either the workers or the people they call. Don't make it worse by being a total arse about itThat's the real problem. The people who are actually responsible for this plague are totally insulated -- there's no way to find out who they are, much less complain.

KTC
11-14-2010, 02:57 AM
I don't care about people needing to make a living doing telemarketing. My phone. Don't fucking call it. I only want people calling me if I gave them my number to call. Anybody else can fuck the fuck off.

Actually...we are about 10 minutes away from getting rid of our landline. I'm trying to talk my wife into it. We do NOT need a home phone. Those bastards can die...once we get rid of the line we will finally be done with them.

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 02:58 AM
YEP! I joined the no-call list the very day it came into place. Didn't change a thing. Or maybe it caused me to get more of the calls. And you might notice that sometimes you'll pick up and there will be nobody there...that's an automatic thingy calling to see what time of the day you answer your phone...then you'll find that you get phone calls at THAT time.

I fucking hate them so fucking much veins pop in my brain whenever they call. I have become verbally abusive with them...and that's not me at all.

Without a doubt we get more calls since joining that list.

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 03:00 AM
Hang up.

Or start speaking in a Swedish accent which ends up in Pakistan via Wales, add a "No speaka di Inglese," for a flourish, then hang up.

I hung up today and he called me back:D

The second call he got mad because I told him I was not interested. Honestly that made me laugh today because why would you call back when someone has hung up on you?

Cliff Face
11-14-2010, 03:01 AM
That's when information comes into it... that was one of the good things about where I worked. We were held accountable. We had to say our first name when we rang someone, and mention the company name. Our company was in the phone book, and if the person we called asked for our name again we had to give it to them.

Nobody got reported while I worked there, because we knew we would be held accountable.

So the only thing I can recommend is jotting down their name (if they say it) and finding out what the company is called, then try to find a listing for them. If you can't find a listing, tell someone in the Government about the company and who spoke to you.

I know it sounds lame... especially as you've said that when you ask for information they hang up...

These do sound like complete bastards. My comments about not being an arse were more to do with the coach's whistle or death threat stuff against people just doing their job.

I guess if there are people calling you just to be a wanker, there's not a whole lot you can do about it, without finding out information about them.

I guess... if there's no way of reporting them, and it's the same people being wankers all the time, just hang up on them as soon as you recognise their voice. They might call back, so keep the phone off the hook for a little while, unless you're expecting a call from someone you actually want to talk to...

Most telemarketers will get bored of ringing a number that's off the hook within a short amount of time.

Of course, some arseholes are like cockroaches and won't go away...

Personally, I think that if they're being rude to everyone they talk to, then they aren't getting any sales, and they *should* be fired soon enough...

Sorry I'm not much help.

brainstorm77
I don't care about people needing to make a living doing telemarketing. My phone. Don't fucking call it. I only want people calling me if I gave them my number to call. Anybody else can fuck the fuck off.

Actually...we are about 10 minutes away from getting rid of our landline. I'm trying to talk my wife into it. We do NOT need a home phone. Those bastards can die...once we get rid of the line we will finally be done with them.

Just hope they don't get your cell. I've had calls to my cell.

KTC
I am on the Do Not Call List, so don't call me. And all are not innocent on the other end of that line.

Exactly. Do not call MEANS do not call. I feel like it's actually a violation. I want to ring their fucking necks. How dare they call my number. fuckers.

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 03:03 AM
If they are based in the USA, can the company still be fined in regards to the Do Not Call List for Canada and vice versa?

KTC
11-14-2010, 03:04 AM
Just hope they don't get your cell. I've had calls to my cell.

I'm having one issue with my cell. someone who owes money must have given my number or something. this company keeps calling me and asking if i'm so and so. they're a collections agency, so some scumwad who owes money if obviously who they're trying to contact. of course they're going to think i'm lying. i tell them i'm not the guy...but i know they don't believe me. they want all my information before they can take me off their list. i say NO. IT'S NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS WHO I AM. YOU HAVE THE WRONG NUMBER. they say they can't remove my number then. I say FINE...NEXT TIME SOMEONE CALLS FROM YOUR COMPANY I'LL TELL THEM TO FUCK OFF AND THEN HANG UP. And that's what I've been doing.

JamieB
11-14-2010, 03:04 AM
If they are based in the USA, can the company still be fined in regards to the Do Not Call List for Canada and vice versa?

Yes.

Cliff Face
11-14-2010, 03:05 AM
*makes mental note to not join the DNC list*

I have a sneaking suspicion that the DNC list is funded by the nasty telemarketing companies who just want more numbers to ring.

/conspiratorial

Adam
11-14-2010, 03:06 AM
We're ex-directory, but not on a specific no call list (as far as I'm aware), and get a bunch. We seem to get persistent buggers here, too.

"Hello sir, how are you today?"
"What do you want?"
"Well that's not a nice way to answer the pho--"
*Click*

"Not interested."
"But I haven't told you wh--"
*Click*

Or my brother's stock response -

"Hello sir, how are y--"
"Oh, piss off."
*Click*

Bless 'is nutty heart. Always the same. I think he has his own script, albeit a short one. ;)

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 03:06 AM
Yes.

Ah! One guy tried to tell me it didn't apply because he was in the USA when I informed him I was reporting him.

I did report it. That time I got the company name, his first name and the phone number he called me from.

Satori1977
11-14-2010, 03:07 AM
I know they are just doing their job, but I am also on the DNC list, and it didn't help. I had many start calling at 8am on the dot (this was when I was working nights and didn't get home until 3am). They also always seemed to call when I was in the middle of something. I had several become rude or downright mean. What did I do?

I stopped answering the phone, let the machine pick up, got caller id. After awhile I go so annoyed with all the hangups that I turned off the receiver...but then I didn't always remember to check to see if anyone had called.

About a year ago we simply got rid of the landline. Only have cell phones. We rarely get telemarketers on those phones, but I still don't answer unless I know the number.

KTC
My comments about not being an arse were more to do with the coach's whistle or death threat stuff against people just doing their job

but wait. if they are calling MY number that I am paying to have to talk to people i want to talk to...then i'm not being an arse by blowing a whistle into the phone or telling them not to call any more or telling them to remove me from their list. or telling them to fuck off and stop calling my house.

if i want something...i go out and buy it. i don't expect people to call me to ask if i want something. no matter what it is. the person calling is the ARSE. especially if i took the time to put myself on a no-call list.

brainstorm77
*makes mental note to not join the DNC list*

I have a sneaking suspicion that the DNC list is funded by the nasty telemarketing companies who just want more numbers to ring.

/conspiratorial

Perhaps they sell call lists.:tongue

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 03:08 AM
We're ex-directory, but not on a specific no call list (as far as I'm aware), and get a bunch. We seem to get persistent buggers here, too.

Or my brother's stock response -

Bless 'is nutty heart. ;)

Smart brother!

scarletpeaches
11-14-2010, 03:10 AM
I volunteer my services as a 'call-divert engineer'.

For a small fee - say, a bar of chocolate - I will happily deal with these callers for you, if you forward them to my mobile.

You choose my accent, whether or not I should have Tourette's, hell, even my gender and how badly you want me to fuck with them.

KTC
11-14-2010, 03:14 AM
Quote:
"Not interested."
"But I haven't told you wh--"
*Click*

I do this one when someone rings my door bell. Sometimes I get someone who acts totally insulted. "YOU MEAN YOU DON'T WANT TO SAVE MONEY ON..."

I just say, "NO I DON'T. I'd rather spend more money on whatever it is you're selling than talk to you. Thank you. Don't knock on my door...it's there for friends and family to knock on. GO AWAY!"

Like I said..I go out to shop for things in my life. Home is sacred to me. I often don't even answer the door. (we have glass double doors and I can see shadowy people on the other side. i know when it's a salesman). I once had a conversation with a guy who saw my shadowy silhouette while I stood in the foyer petting the dog waiting for the bastard to leave my doorstep. He said through the door, "I can see you...aren't you going to answer the door." I said, "No." He said, "How could you not answer your door!?" I said, "How could you ring my doorbell. Go away. I'm not interested. You have no right to ring my doorbell." He got all pissy. I ended up telling him to fuck off.

JamieB
11-14-2010, 03:15 AM
Ah! One guy tried to tell me it didn't apply because he was in the USA when I informed him I was reporting him.

I did report it. That time I got the company name, his first name and the phone number he called me from.

Actually I misunderstood that you are outside the US. I'm not sure in that case how it works. We call from and to the US where I work.

I can tell you that some people do really funny things with telemarketers - like this one guy told one of my reps on the phone that he was Steven Tyler and would donate $500 (we fundraise for non profits) if he sang an Aerosmith song. The kid didn't believe him at first, but the guy got him to sing - it was hysterical. So, messing with telemarketers that way can actually give you some entertainment. And for those of you who want to threaten them, please remember that they have your address and aren't always the most stable individuals.

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 03:18 AM
Actually I misunderstood that you are outside the US. I'm not sure in that case how it works. We call from and to the US where I work.

I can tell you that some people do really funny things with telemarketers - like this one guy told one of my reps on the phone that he was Steven Tyler and would donate $500 (we fundraise for non profits) if he sang an Aerosmith song. The kid didn't believe him at first, but the guy got him to sing - it was hysterical. So, messing with telemarketers that way can actually give you some entertainment. And for those of you who want to threaten them, please remember that they have your address and aren't always the most stable individuals.

I bolded. Indeed, like the guy who called me a slur of names from the 'free vacation' place because I told him I thought it was a scam.

I have to assume that he was working from home? Boy did he scream!

Adam
11-14-2010, 03:20 AM
I do this one when someone rings my door bell. Sometimes I get someone who acts totally insulted. "YOU MEAN YOU DON'T WANT TO SAVE MONEY ON..."

My dad used to own a bike shop, and we got these people come in with enormous black bags full of cheap crap for "great prices" (flesh 'n blood walking telemarketers! Kinda).

I remember one woman breezed in and immediately started with her spiel. I said, "We're not interested," and she got so indignant about it. She zipped up her bag, threw it over her shoulder and said, "No wonder you've got no customers with that attitude."

How DARE we, a successful mountain bike shop, not be interested in her teddy bears and children's toys! :tongue

KTC
11-14-2010, 03:26 AM
My dad used to own a bike shop, and we got these people come in with enormous black bags full of cheap crap for "great prices" (flesh 'n blood walking telemarketers! Kinda).

I remember one woman breezed in and immediately started with her spiel. I said, "We're not interested," and she got so indignant about it. She zipped up her bag, threw it over her shoulder and said, "No wonder you've got no customers with that attitude."

How DARE we, a successful mountain bike shop, not be interested in her teddy bears and children's toys! :tongue

HA! We have them here too. They try to sell their junk from your place of business..."We'll be back next Friday." They try to drop off all their plastic junk with an order form. "No thanks!"

Adam
11-14-2010, 03:29 AM
;)

They were nearly always cocky gobshites who thought they had the gift of the gab. As if I'm going to shift from "not interested" to "yeah, why not" in the face of their slimy smirks and words with two whole syllables. ;)

Leah J. Utas
11-14-2010, 03:33 AM
Under Canadian law telemarketers are obligated to remove your name from their contact list for a period of three years once you've asked them to do so.
One particular charity used to call me each month. It took three consecutive months of me telling them to remove my name before they did it, but they did.
Not much you can do about the recorded variety except cuss, curse, swear, and hang up.

scarletpeaches
11-14-2010, 03:35 AM
In an office where I used to work we'd get people coming in with all sorts to sell - in boxes and black bags. Toys, clothes, you name it.

I took great delight in dropping a fiver on a handheld video game (like Tetris, only with much cheapness) which beeped and whirred and pissed everyone else off.

Well, if I had to listen to their yawnsome stories about adorable things their kids did, or what happened on Coronation Street last night, they can put up with my video game.

KTC
11-14-2010, 03:39 AM
In an office where I used to work we'd get people coming in with all sorts to sell - in boxes and black bags. Toys, clothes, you name it.

I took great delight in dropping a fiver on a handheld video game (like Tetris, only with much cheapness) which beeped and whirred and pissed everyone else off.

Well, if I had to listen to their yawnsome stories about adorable things their kids did, or what happened on Coronation Street last night, they can put up with my video game.

Well...Dev was thrilled last night because he found out that Sunita broke it off with her fiance! So there! (of course, we're only about a year behind in Canada!)

Rowan
11-14-2010, 06:09 AM

I've been nice and have been blasted from the telemarketer for not wanting to listen to them. Like the guy who today when told I wasn't interested just plain hung up on me. Yup, that's polite. Further more, when I get the came call from the same company week after week, after telling them to not call me as far as I am concerned that's harassment.

This irritates me to no end--why sign up for the stupid list if it doesn't work? And if you change numbers, you have to wait 30 days or whatever for it to take effect. When I moved in July, I had EVERYONE on the planet calling to offer me security systems, cable television, bank accounts, blah blah blah. Then I had pest control people calling to advise me I MUST schedule my post-settlement inspection. :rant:

I either tell them to take me off their fucking list and stop calling, ask for their number so I can contact them the minute they come in the door/start dinner, or start speaking in a foreign language (NOT Spanish). If only I knew Klingon--I imagine that would sound really annoying to the person on the other end.

I have zero patience for telemarketers. I think they've wasted at least an entire week of my life to date................................

ETA: The worst part of this DNC list is I've REPORTED numbers of companies who continue to call and NOTHING happens. They just keep calling.

Posted by Scarlet Peaches:
I volunteer my services as a 'call-divert engineer'.

For a small fee - say, a bar of chocolate - I will happily deal with these callers for you, if you forward them to my mobile.

You choose my accent, whether or not I should have Tourette's, hell, even my gender and how badly you want me to fuck with them.

Two questions: What kind of chocolate? and Do you speak Klingon? :) :) :)

Rowan
11-14-2010, 06:16 AM
I'm having one issue with my cell. someone who owes money must have given my number or something. this company keeps calling me and asking if i'm so and so. they're a collections agency, so some scumwad who owes money if obviously who they're trying to contact. of course they're going to think i'm lying. i tell them i'm not the guy...but i know they don't believe me. they want all my information before they can take me off their list. i say NO. IT'S NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS WHO I AM. YOU HAVE THE WRONG NUMBER. they say they can't remove my number then. I say FINE...NEXT TIME SOMEONE CALLS FROM YOUR COMPANY I'LL TELL THEM TO FUCK OFF AND THEN HANG UP. And that's what I've been doing.

OMG, I get the same type of calls on my Gov't blackberry--some in Spanish, some in English. Apparently, my ATM card has been deactivated and I must call ASAP. Also, my bank account has been closed and I'm in deep shit if I don't call ASAP. Then we have the collection agencies. I've answered the calls and told the stupid people they've got the wrong number, but they must think I'm yanking their chains or something--as you've said. So now I just let them go to VM and delete. :Shrug:

Posted by JamieB:
And for those of you who want to threaten them, please remember that they have your address and aren't always the most stable individuals.

No worries. I've got a cure for that--it's called Sig Sauer. Threatening me in return because you're annoyed at my response to your annoying phone call = bad idea. ;)

Silver King
11-14-2010, 06:27 AM
You know what's really funny, in a sick way, about the DNC rules in the US? They don't apply to political messages that reach people ad nauseum, especially before elections; that's because the same scumbags politicians, and their ilk, who passed those laws conveniently excluded themselves from the list of offenders.

The best thing to do is to have Caller ID and screen your calls. Never answer if you don't recognize the number, or if it shows "Private" or "Unavailable." If it's important, to the caller at least, they'll leave a message and you can decide whether to call them back.

Telemarketers don't bother me at all, as I never speak with them.

Rowan
11-14-2010, 06:30 AM
You know what's really funny, in a sick way, about the DNC rules in the US? They don't apply to political messages that reach people ad nauseum, especially before elections; that's because the same scumbags politicians, and their ilk, who passed those laws conveniently excluded themselves from the list of offenders.

The best thing to do is to have Caller ID and screen your calls. Never answer if you don't recognize the number, or if it shows "Private" or "Unavailable." If it's important, to the caller at least, they'll leave a message and you can decide whether to call them back.

I WISH I could say the same--they were calling me before 8AM and after 9PM (when I moved), so of course I picked up and screamed obscenities into the phone. ;)

Silver King
11-14-2010, 06:41 AM
I WISH I could say the same--they were calling me before 8AM and after 9PM (when I moved), so of course I picked up and screamed obscenities into the phone. ;)
Don't tell any of the telemarketers in this thread I said so, but you could buy an air horn and blast the caller out of her seat when she comes on the line. Not that I would ever do such a thing (ahem), but desperate times call for desperate measures in some cases.

Silver King
11-14-2010, 07:01 AM
I just remembered something a friend used to say to telemarketers when they called:

"I don't have time to talk right now, but if you give me your home phone number, I'll call you later this evening."

Strangely, he never got one of them to divulge that info. They must not have been too keen to be bothered at home by unwanted calls either.

SPMiller
11-14-2010, 07:12 AM
I just remembered something a friend used to say to telemarketers when they called:

"I don't have time to talk right now, but if you give me your home phone number, I'll call you later this evening."

Strangely, he never got one of them to divulge that info. They must not have been too keen to be bothered at home by unwanted calls either.I haven't had to deal with telemarketers on the land line in forever thanks to Do Not Call, but back when I was a teen, I used to hit on them. Usually resulted in a quick hangup. A few of the females responded positively, and I got at least two home phone numbers...

'Course, one of them was in California, so, you know, that one didn't work out.

Silver King
11-14-2010, 07:21 AM
And another thing: How do telemarketers react when they receive unwanted calls at home? Do they listen to the entire spiel, out of professional courtesy, then sit around and chew the fat with their brethren on the other end?

My guess is, they hang up the phone mid-speech, if not sooner, just like the rest of us.

cmi0616
11-14-2010, 08:14 AM
I like to have fun with them. I ask them who they are, their life story, what do they think about hot-button topics, such as abortion, religion, and the "don't ask don't tell" policy. Needless to say, I don't usually get to many calls from telemarketers, but it's always a good time when I do.

rhymegirl
11-14-2010, 08:46 AM
My feeling about the whole telemarketing thing is this: It's unwanted. Just like junk mail. I don't ask stores/companies to send me junk mail. I don't ask companies to call me up and try to sell me something.

As for telemarketers just trying to make a living, well, they chose the job. No one forces you to take any job.

Cliff Face
11-14-2010, 09:00 AM

Strangely, he never got one of them to divulge that info. They must not have been too keen to be bothered at home by unwanted calls either.

Isn't that from Seinfeld?

Cliff Face
11-14-2010, 09:03 AM
My feeling about the whole telemarketing thing is this: It's unwanted. Just like junk mail. I don't ask stores/companies to send me junk mail. I don't ask companies to call me up and try to sell me something.

As for telemarketers just trying to make a living, well, they chose the job. No one forces you to take any job.

Ahem. The government here forced me to go to an interview for a telemarketing position. They offered me the job. If I said I didn't want it, the firm would've reported me to the government, at which point I would've lost unemployment benefits and been living on the streets.

So yes, sometimes you are forced to do a job you hate.

Cliff Face
11-14-2010, 09:08 AM
And just to clarify: I've never liked telemarketers, and I hated being one. I was stuck with it until they fired me. I had no relevant skills to break into retail, no office experience, and a bad back preventing me from going back into labouring.

I fully support people's rights to hate telemarketers. It's up to you. But sometimes there's a good reason someone's working for one of those companies. Like a desire to not die of hunger living on the streets.

benbradley
11-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Yes, but they're very aware of that. If you start asking questions, like about the name and address of the company, they'll hang up. If you ask to speak to a supervisor, they'll hang up.
Asking questions ... "Ever seen a grown man naked?"

About the only thing that would work to get info would be to sign up with whatever it is. Not much of an solution.
I'm doubtful that even that would work. Years ago I was involved with online spam fighting groups. Many of the mortgage spamers would sell their leads to mortgage companies who had no idea how these leads were generated.

The good news about spam is that the antispam filters appear to be a LOT better than many years ago (if you're not getting 100 spams a day, it's because your ISP runs one or more spam filters on received email). The bad news is that spam is about 90 percent of all email traffic.

Someone said "telemarketers do this because people buy the product." Likewise with email spam! And it's not like there hasn't been any warning:

"Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything offered to me as the result of an unsolicited e-mail message. Nor will I forward chain letters, petitions, mass mailings, or virus warnings to large numbers of others. This is my contribution to the survival of the online community."
Roger Ebert, The Boulder Pledge, 1996

http://www.panix.com/~tbetz/boulder.shtml (http://www.panix.com/%7Etbetz/boulder.shtml)

BeatrixKiddo
11-14-2010, 10:20 AM
For me, it's AT&T (outsourced to India). They are the local land line phone company but I will never purchase any other services from them just because of their telemarketing calls.. The calls are constant. They did send a postcard lately about being able to opt out of being offered additional service, but I haven't arranged that yet (I tried, but I needed to have a phone bill handy and I didn't at the time).

Don't you know that AT&T is The Evil Empire? I HATE them...so vewy, vewy much. :cry:

This is why we leave our answering machine on 24/7. (yes, we still have an answering machine) I noticed we don't get as many of their calls anymore since we never pick up.

That drove me nuts. We got so many political calls (even with an answering machine they kept leaving messages) Sooo annoying. I am so glad the latest elections are over. Yeesh.

Lyra Jean
11-14-2010, 11:08 AM
My dad would tell the telemarketers that he would buy their product if they would marry him. Even the guys.

I used to sell Avon so when a telemarketer asked me to buy something I would ask how much it is. He would say the price and I would say I'll buy your product if you buy the same amount of Avon from me. No one ever took me up on it.

scarletpeaches
11-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Two questions: What kind of chocolate? and Do you speak Klingon? :) :) :)Milk or white.

I'm Scottish. Get me drunk and it sounds much the same.

Vito
11-14-2010, 03:41 PM

I've been getting a lot less TM calls since I registered my number on the Do Not Call list. The number has decreased from several calls a day to only a few each month.

One thing that I really don't like about TM calls is that I occasionally get calls intended for my deceased parents. My dad passed away more than 35 years ago, but he somehow ended up on a few telemarketers' hot list. So every once in a while I'll pick up the phone and hear someone say, "Hello, may I please speak to [Vito's dad]?"

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 03:59 PM
I've been getting a lot less TM calls since I registered my number on the Do Not Call list. The number has decreased from several calls a day to only a few each month.

One thing that I really don't like about TM calls is that I occasionally get calls intended for my deceased parents. My dad passed away more than 35 years ago, but he somehow ended up on a few telemarketers' hot list. So every once in a while I'll pick up the phone and hear someone say, "Hello, may I please speak to [Vito's dad]?"

I've told them I was dead before. Yes, I'm serious. A couple of times when they have called and asked for me by name I have told them, 'that person's passed away.' They go silent, mutter something remotely like an apology and then hang up.

35 yrs is a long time. His name should not be on any call list.

heyjude
11-14-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm on the DNC list and barely get any. Those I do get, as soon as I figure out what they're about I say "Take me off your list. Thanks and have a nice day!", hang up, and report them.

Charities, too. Hate to say that. But when I give I want to research the charity first, not give blindly over the phone.

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Charities are exempt from the DNC list in Canada.

heyjude
11-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Here in the US, too. And politicians. :rolleyes:

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 04:18 PM
I've yet to have a politician call me.

heyjude
11-14-2010, 04:20 PM
You're kidding! That's amazing! In election season we get many per day. I'm a freak, I actually listen to those calls. I want to hear the lies they tell and how convincingly they tell them.

Also, they do this thing now where they say your first name. "Jennifer, this is Marco Rubio." It's very cool. :) But then I have no life... :tongue

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 04:21 PM
You're kidding! That's amazing! In election season we get many per day. I'm a freak, I actually listen to those calls. I want to hear the lies they tell and how convincingly they tell them.

Also, they do this thing now where they say your first name. "Jennifer, this is Marco Rubio." It's very cool. :) But then I have no life... :tongue

They go door to door here when that time comes. :cry:

Rowan
11-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Milk or white.

I'm Scottish. Get me drunk and it sounds much the same.

*ordering bulk cadbury's milk and white...running to ABC store for tequila, scotch, whisky--hell, everything they stock!*

Posted by HeyJude:I'm on the DNC list and barely get any. Those I do get, as soon as I figure out what they're about I say "Take me off your list. Thanks and have a nice day!", hang up, and report them.

Charities, too. Hate to say that. But when I give I want to research the charity first, not give blindly over the phone.

Thankfully, the only charity that calls me is one I signed up with---they pick up household goods on a semi-regular basis. I usually schedule via 'net so they don't call all that much anyway. :)

scarletpeaches
11-14-2010, 05:54 PM
*ordering bulk cadbury's milk and white...running to ABC store for tequila, scotch, whisky--hell, everything they stock!*Ach klurg sprrrrrrrrrrngly wank icky icky icky *hic*

Trans: I love you. You're my besht mate.

*trips, falls into gutter, vomits and falls asleep*

Vito
11-14-2010, 06:09 PM
35 yrs is a long time. His name should not be on any call list.
I know, it's strange. I inherited my parents' home, but the phone number for that address has changed a number of times in the past 35 years. Hard to figure out. :Shrug:

rhymegirl
11-14-2010, 07:34 PM
I've yet to have a politician call me.

You're lucky.

The day before election day my phone rang all day long! I did not answer it, of course, but I got constant phone calls with messages: Vote for me! Vote for me! Along with big long speeches about why I should vote for them.

The charities will be the next thing with Christmas coming up. I'll give to maybe one organization, probably a food bank, but that's it. If I give to everybody I'll need a charity myself.

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 07:47 PM
I have my own charities that I support. When the others call I am polite in declining. I don't get many calls from charities TBH.

Button
11-14-2010, 07:53 PM
I missed out on this one. ;)

Scarlet says it best. Don't answer unless you know who is calling. Anyone important will leave a message. Anyone you know will have a number identifier. Everyone else doesn't matter.

And turn off the ringer at dinner time. It's a lot calmer that way.

heyjude
11-14-2010, 08:45 PM
I have my own charities that I support. When the others call I am polite in declining. I don't get many calls from charities TBH.

I feel guilty about not being nice. But honestly, we get up to a dozen calls a day, just from charities with fishy-sounding names. I put an anonymous call block on our phone it was so bad. Now it's less, but I still get a lot. And if I took them time to listen to them all I'd barely have time for the important things, like listening to the voices in my head...

Satori1977
11-14-2010, 08:51 PM
The worst is people coming to your door selling stuff. It is much easier hanging up the phone on someone than slamming a door in their face (at least for me, it is). Lately we have a lot of teens that are going door to door selling magazines trying to win a trip, or something. I don't even know, kids didn't do that when I was in high school.

The last one annoyed the crap out of me. Before they get too long into their spiel I try to politely say that we don't have the money. This last girl was persistant though. I told her I was out of work and my husband just got laid off. And she had the nerve to say "You can't spend $5 or $10?" No, we can't pay our bills! I told her this and shut the door. I think that is the rudest I have been to someone at the door.

heyjude
11-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Oh, Satori, that's horrible!

People should definitely not sell door to door.

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 10:16 PM
The worst is people coming to your door selling stuff. It is much easier hanging up the phone on someone than slamming a door in their face (at least for me, it is). Lately we have a lot of teens that are going door to door selling magazines trying to win a trip, or something. I don't even know, kids didn't do that when I was in high school.

The last one annoyed the crap out of me. Before they get too long into their spiel I try to politely say that we don't have the money. This last girl was persistant though. I told her I was out of work and my husband just got laid off. And she had the nerve to say "You can't spend $5 or $10?" No, we can't pay our bills! I told her this and shut the door. I think that is the rudest I have been to someone at the door.

That's very rude.

Silver King
11-15-2010, 03:27 AM
Isn't that from Seinfeld?
I'm pretty sure my friend picked it up from somewhere, but it wasn't through Seinfeld, as his comments predated that show by many years.

Alan Yee
11-15-2010, 04:38 AM
When I eventually get an apartment or house of my own one day, I will seriously consider whether I want a landline or not. I do not like dealing with telemarketers, especially when no one else is around to answer the phone, or if I'm in the middle of eating or doing homework. My cell phone has only rarely gotten calls from people I don't know, mainly because I haven't given it out to very many people.

My parents put our home phone number on the U.S. DNC list, but we still get a number of telemarketers. I'm glad I was still at college when election time came around, because my mom said they got dozens of political advertisements. I would never get any work done with the phone ringing all day. *sigh* I really wish the DNC rules applied to politicians.

As for charities, you can never tell for sure whether the people on the phone are really who they say they are. It might not be a real charity. I would only contribute to charities I already knew about, heard about from someone I know, or those I otherwise researched on my own.

mirandashell
11-16-2010, 02:09 AM
A couple of years ago, I had some major problems with a certain electricity provider. Months and months of hassle which was eventually sorted out by me paying what I didn't actually owe them, to get them off my back and then moving to another provider.

A few weeks later, there was a knock on the door. Some young one standing there, smiling. She says 'Hello! I'm Anna from Scumbag Electric! Would you like to have cheaper electricity?"
"Are you taking the piss?"
"Scuse me?"
"Ermmm...no. I was just given your name by my line manager...."
"Tell your line manager that if he ever sends anyone to my door ever again, I will find him and make him eat that list. I wouldn't get electric from you if you were the last company on the planet. I would rather cook my dinner over a candle than get electric from you. I hate your company. Never come here again."
"So.... you wouldn't like cheaper electric?"
BANG!

brainstorm77
11-19-2010, 09:19 PM
A couple of years ago, I had some major problems with a certain electricity provider. Months and months of hassle which was eventually sorted out by me paying what I didn't actually owe them, to get them off my back and then moving to another provider.

A few weeks later, there was a knock on the door. Some young one standing there, smiling. She says 'Hello! I'm Anna from Scumbag Electric! Would you like to have cheaper electricity?"
"Scuse me?"
"Ermmm...no. I was just given your name by my line manager...."
"Tell your line manager that if he ever sends anyone to my door ever again, I will find him and make him eat that list. I wouldn't get electric from you if you were the last company on the planet. I would rather cook my dinner over a candle than get electric from you. I hate your company. Never come here again."
"So.... you wouldn't like cheaper electric?"
BANG!

That last line would have floored me to go ballistic on her.:rant:

mirandashell
11-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Well... it was either punch her face or slam the door. And being a nice person, I slammed the door.

brainstorm77
11-20-2010, 11:40 PM
TRue.

shawkins
11-21-2010, 05:01 AM
I can't track down a working link, but a buddy of mine sent me a link to this guy who apparently makes his living pranking telemarketers & selling the recordings.

The one I heard went something like this:

<brring>
"Hello?"
"Hi! Would you like to save money on--"
"Who is this?"
"My name is Brian."
"Full name. Now."
"Company policy prohibits me from--"
"I don't care about your company policy! This is officer so-&-so of the Billigham County police department, and I want to know why you're phoning the scene of a homicide! Now you will either give me your full name and address or I will have this call traced and we can discuss it at county."
The guy gives his name and company address.
"How did you know the deceased? Were you lovers?"
"No! No, we never met."
"You never met? Then why are you calling him?"
"I work for a telemarketing firm and..."

On and on in that vein for a while. The dead guy was involved in some sort of bizarre sex thing, or something, and the cop was convinced the telemarketer was part of it. It went on for a couple of minutes.

The comedian's name was Tom Mabe. There were links all over the place, but none of them worked for me. YMMV.

brainstorm77
12-26-2010, 04:57 AM
I had a call tonight(yup even on Christmas). I kept repreating, "what?"

She finally hung up.:D

heyjude
12-26-2010, 03:25 PM
I had a call tonight(yup even on Christmas). I kept repreating, "what?"

She finally hung up.:D

No. You're joking. Tell me you're joking. On Christmas? Who the heck was it?!

brainstorm77
12-26-2010, 05:57 PM
'Free vacation' place.