Query Letter Feedback Request (True Crime)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJStephens

Banned
Reaction score
Any feedback for my query letter will be gratefully received. As an English writer seeking publication in the United States, I am going to need all the help I can get! Many thanks.

NOTE: The subject of the book, a notorious child serial killer, is harrowing, so some readers might prefer to skip this post.

Dear XXXX,

Few serial killers achieve notoriety beyond the borders of their own country. One exception was Belgian child murderer Marc Dutroux, whose predatory spree in the mid-1990’s grabbed the attention of the world’s press.

Why did Dutroux achieve a worldwide reputation for infamy, when so many serial killers are quickly forgotten by the general public? Was it the images of two of his child victims being released, into the glare of world press, after months of torture at the hands of this monster? Was it the 300,000 people parading silently, and with dignity, through the streets of Brussels, demonstrating NOT against Marc Dutroux himself, but against the perceived corruption of the Belgian state? Or was it because a man who could kidnap children, build cages for them, rape, torture and starve them for several months, then bury them alive (in one case), could only be summed up in a single phrase.

Pure Evil.

May I send you my completed book, DUTROUX AND THE UNTOUCHABLES (140,000 words)? It is the first book to explain, to an English speaking audience, the drama, shock and anguish of this appalling tragedy. The reader is led through the dramatic and harrowing sequence of events which began with the first child disappearances in 1995, through to his life sentence, for multiple child murder, in 2004.

But the book goes much further than this, thanks to one of the most astonishing episodes in the history of criminal investigations. In April 2004, the entire 400,000 page case-file of the Marc Dutroux criminal investigation was leaked. Thanks to this file (to which I have been granted unlimited access), answers have emerged to the questions that obsess every Belgian, and millions of others. Was Dutroux a ‘sole predator’, as the entire Belgian establishment claimed? Or was he part of a larger, more sinister organization? Were there shadowy highly placed ‘untouchables’ (i.e. powerful individuals who are beyond the reach of the law) who were able to escape the scrutiny of the Dutroux investigators? Or were these stories just
rumours, spread by credulous conspiracy theorists?

The truth is appalling. Time and time again, powerful leads were not followed up, even when the same people were accused, by independent witnesses, of terrible crimes against children. This book exposes these people and, thanks to the undeniable proof contained in the case-file, lays bare the iniquitous lies of the Belgian authorities.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I have no experience with non-fiction queries, but this one I found fascinating (even though I’d never heard of the case). One quibble I have is the title, which is less than gripping. This work would be better served by a title like Bugliosi’s Helter Skelter: The True Story Of The Manson Murders.

Also, in the US, The Untouchables is associated with an old television series.

Another quibble is your background. Having the material is one thing, but the question is certainly going to be asked: what gives you the credentials to write this? And how is this work different/better than Dossier pédophilie: Le scandale de l'affaire Dutroux.

Last edited:

JohnJStephens

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Julie for your rapid and helpful reply. I did hesitate about the word 'untouchable' but cannot find a synonym (ie 'beyond the law' as opposed to 'incorruptible' which I think is what it means in the U.S. TV series).

Isn't any title with the words 'The True Story' a bit of a cliché?

Your point about my background is spot on, and I don't know how to handle this. One possibility is to get an endorsement from a Belgian journalist who has published several books on this subject.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
JohnJStephens said:
Isn't any title with the words 'The True Story' a bit of a cliché?
For sure, but that's almost invisible on the cover, while
HELTER SKELTER
is always in huge type.

(You didn't write Fuelling the Empire, did you?)

Last edited:

JohnJStephens

Banned
Reaction score
I see what you mean. And Helter Skelter is definitely a neat title.

Yikes! No I didn't, but I see that another John J Stephens got there first! Looks like I will be changing my initial real soon now!

Returning to my book, I feel very vulnerable on the 'qualifications' subject. The main reason I wrote the book was because I didn't believe another English-speaking author was going to. I felt that I could attempt it because I have good law enforcement and journalist connections in Belgium, although I have never worked in either of these professions myself. Although I am English, I have strong family ties with Belgium, and speak French and Dutch fluently (the two national languages of Belgium) so I have no problems studying the source material, which is in both languages.

Unfortunately very few English people (whether writers or anyone else) speak French and Dutch. I therefore realized that this book was either going to be written by myself, or not at all. The subject is something I feel very strongly about, so I decided to seize the opportunity when the entire case file was leaked. My connections meant that I had few problems gaining full access to the file.

I hope that I have made the subject readable, and that the evidence of wrongdoing is presented in an irrefutable manner. The wonderful thing about having full access to the case-file is that the evidence is there in black and white, even if searching for a particular piece of evidence, in 400,000 pages, is sometimes like looking for a needle in a haystack.

The feedback I have received, from Belgian and Dutch investigative journalists who have read the manuscript, is that my presentation of the evidence is clear and is undeniable. That does not mean that the book is necessarily a great read for an English-speaking audience, of course!

As I mentioned in my 'newbie' post 2 days ago, I am going the U.S. route because lawyers I know (I am not a lawyer, but my job means I hang out with them for much of the time) say that no publisher would touch it in its present form. If I want to name names, it's America or nothing.

It is ironic that the U.S. and the U.K. are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to libel laws. I just have to live with ithis situation. The drawback of the U.S route, however, is that Marc Dutroux is far less well known in America. In much of Europe Marc Dutroux is on a par with John Wayne Gacy, but Dutroux is far less well known in the U.S. I wonder what would happen if a U.S. writer got hold of the entire John Wayne Gacy or Ted Bundy criminal investigations, then wrote a book highlighting all the highly placed people who were connected with his activities. I suspect it would be the bestseller of the decade.

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
Having close ties with the law enforcement and so on as youve mentioned is one reason that you are qualified to write this book. Can you mention that? Your job ~why and how you mingle with these professionals on a dialy basis and the reason you have access to such legal files?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
JohnJStephens said:
I hope that I have made the subject readable, and that the evidence of wrongdoing is presented in an irrefutable manner.

A good story is what you want, and if it’s true, so much the better.

I was amazed I’d never heard of this affair, so I looked it up. The image of the White March, with hundreds of thousands tramping in silence—that is very powerful. But still, so much hysteria got wound up in it, I simply can’t believe that top government officials were involved—except for the normal bureaucratic bungling, of course. So, if this is one of those footnoted works, with complex sentences and careful documentation, I’m afraid it won’t have much appeal here. But if you’ve told a gripping story, then you’ve got something.

JohnJStephens

Banned
Reaction score
Ruralwriter, I can't talk much about how I mingle with these people. I run a software company that develops and markets (among other things) specialized software for analyzing data, and displaying hitherto unknown relationships. My company also markets a document management system. Almost all our clients are large multinationals, but we also have other clients.

JohnJStephens

Banned
Reaction score
Julie, thank you very much for taking the time to look up the story!

Firstly, I have just realized that I did not answer your question: why is this book different to Dossier pédophilie: Le scandale de l'affaire Dutroux.

This is easy to answer. The author of this book, Jean Nicolas (the co-author Lavachery only played a minor role), has merely compiled an amalagam of rumours and half-truths which make a sensational story, but backed up with no evidence at all. For example, one witness accused the king of Belgium of direct involvement. A complete absence of corrobative evidence means that this claim needs to be treated with extreme caution, and indeed I do not even mention it in my book. Nicolas, on the other hand trumpets this claim for all it is worth, and off course gained extra publicity when the king (quite rightly, in my view) took legal action against him.

Nicolas has also set up a website (based on the isalnd of Montserrat, of all places) from which he SELLS, apart form other things, extracts of the leaked Dutroux files. This should tell you enough about the sort of individual we are dealing with.

Even if Nicolas' intentions were honourable (which they empahatically are not), his book does not include references to the entire case-file, which was only leaked in its entirety in 2004. His book was published in 1998, if I remember right. Well before Dutroux's trial and conviction.

Referring to your latest post, you are right, there were huge amounts of hysteria, and rumours abound in Belgium even today. This makes it doubly important to back up any new claim with solid evidence. The leaked case-file provides that evidence.

I have made every effort to provide careful documentation, while keeping the story gripping. Fortunately the story revealed by the case-file is so spectacular that it is difficult, in my opinion, not to keep the reader's attention. The book exposes, for examle, the hitherto completely unknown connection between Marc Dutroux and 'The Vampire of Antwerp' (who dug up dead children and took photos of them for FORTY YEARS without attracting suspicion, until police raided his home after a grieving family caught him in the act). If this episode does not make the reader fall off his chair, then nothing will.

Similarly, the book exposes the great Belgian UNESCO (Yes, UNESCO!) paedophile scandal which was hastily covered up by the authorities, despite the fact that these were the worst possible paedophiles, because they were out an out sadists, who will never stop. But what is most frightening of all is that these monsters were allowed to scatter like cockroaches, then continue their activites...

A cursory search on internet, using the list of paeophiles involved in the UNESCO paedophile scandal (which appears in the Dutroux case-file), exposes a catalogue of unalloyed horror. Name after name is thrown up, linked with atrocities that beggar belief. One of them went on to rape children, but only after the children were dressed up as one of Hitler's brownshirts. Another member travelled to England, where he tied up, beat and buggered a little boy to within an inch of his life.

But why were these paedophiles allowed to scatter in the first place? Easy, according to the testimony of a Belgian policeman. Because of the highly placed individuals involved...

Belgian corruption has led to the torture and rape of children all around the world. My book proves it. The case-file provides irrefutable evidence.

The Monster of Antwerp. The UNESCO paedophile scandal. That is only two chapters. There are many, many more...

For most American readers, Belgium means great beer and delicious chocolate. My book will make them think again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.