PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with pictures of old girlfriends or boyfriends?

Vito
11-13-2010, 07:50 PM
I need to know!

scarletpeaches
11-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Bin them.

As soon as something is over, I get rid of everything to do with that person. No point living in the past.

And yes, yes, I know. Some people will say "Ah but they meant something to you once."

Once. Not any more, otherwise you'd still be together.

I despise clutter, of both the physical and emotional kind.

mscelina
11-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Usually those pictures didn't survive the first post-breakup voodoo ceremony. I was too busy burning them or shoving them into dolls along with hair and fingernail clippings.

Vito
11-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Usually those pictures didn't survive the first post-breakup voodoo ceremony. I was too busy burning them or shoving them into dolls along with hair and fingernail clippings.

:scared:

Smish
11-13-2010, 07:59 PM
None of the above. I generally just toss them in the garbage.

scarletpeaches
11-13-2010, 08:00 PM
I went for 'shred' because I tear everything up.

Mr Flibble
11-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Keep them for blackmail purposes.

mscelina
11-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Keep them for blackmail purposes.

Dang. What kind of pictures did YOU take? :D

regdog
11-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Nothing. I only have pictures of one ex, and he wasn't a bad guy, we just drifted apart, no muss, no fuss, no fighting, just meh.

The pics are around here somewhere.

Mr Flibble
11-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Dang. What kind of pictures did YOU take? :D

Guesshttp://fc03.deviantart.net/images/i/2002/27/3/a/Aroused.gif

brainstorm77
11-13-2010, 08:12 PM
I toss the print ones and delete any digital ones. Many will say, 'but you may remain friends.' Yet, it's never happened for me.

I did burn some too. Anything personal... pictures, papers etc... I will shred before tossing. People have been known to pick through garbage in the city.

scarletpeaches
11-13-2010, 08:15 PM
One of my exes bugged me for nearly a year with his "We can be friends," nonsense, and accused me of not being over him when I said no.

The answer's simple - I was over him, which is why I didn't need him in my life.

Friends? They're the people who don't hurt me. If someone's your ex, they're your ex for a reason.

I never stay in contact with any of my exes. Why the hell would I give them the honour of being in my life? My time's better spent on looking to the future and finding my next victim lover.

PattiTheWicked
11-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Of the exes who mattered, I am still in contact with two. We're friends on Facebook, chat occasionally by phone, and live hundreds of miles from one another. I have pictures of each of them, and they're tucked away in a photo album from back in the 1990s that I'll probably never even bother getting out of storage.

The rest? Yeah, let's go with that voodoo doll suggestion :)

Vito
11-13-2010, 08:58 PM
The rest? Yeah, let's go with that voodoo doll suggestion :)

Lots of voodoo on this thread, that's for sure!

BenPanced
11-13-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm still in contact with #2 and #3, but I think any pictures I might have had of them were destroyed in a flood a few years back. And, no, that's not a euphemism for some sort of voodoo ritual. I'm talking actual heavy rain, storm drains backing up, floods.

#1? :e2teeth: :rant:

backslashbaby
11-13-2010, 10:30 PM
I have photo albums in storage, too :) Not a ton of pictures, but an album or two that include holidays and trips, mainly. If they are in them, they're in them. No biggie.

I had one time where I'd ripped myself and my guy apart in one photo and put the pieces in an envelope. I opened it right back up to look at it again, and he was gone. Totally, 100% missing. I never did find the pieces of him!

cmi0616
11-13-2010, 10:48 PM
I usually throw all of them out except for the best one, which I keep. I don't know why I do it, I guess for memory's sake.

dolores haze
11-13-2010, 10:52 PM
I've kept all of mine. I look through them sometimes and reminisce.

Vito
11-13-2010, 11:07 PM
I think any pictures I might have had of them were destroyed in a flood a few years back.

I'm talking actual heavy rain, storm drains backing up, floods.

Flood, heavy rain, storm drains...I'm pretty sure that qualifies as "flush".

Eudoxia
11-13-2010, 11:26 PM
Anything that reminds me of them (Letters, flowers, etc.), I burn them in a huge bonfire. If they e-mailed me pictures of them, I just toss them in the ol' recycle bin and erase everything about him from my mind.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
11-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Pictures? Heh. There are no pictures of old loves.

Now, that's not to say I have no pics of Ol' Boy. So if by some amazing transformation of some kind after 30+ years of marriage, we were to go our separate ways, they'd likely stay right where they are now 'cause I'm too old and tired to do the Voodoo dance anymore. I'd be realllllly surprised, though. We did it 'til death us do part, y'ken? 'Cause there ain't no other way outta this situation for either of us.

scarletpeaches
11-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Pictures? Heh. There are no pictures of old loves.

Now, that's not to say I have no pics of Ol' Boy. So if by some amazing transformation of some kind after 30+ years of marriage, we were to go our separate ways, they'd likely stay right where they are now 'cause I'm too old and tired to do the Voodoo dance anymore. I'd be realllllly surprised, though. We did it 'til death us do part, y'ken? 'Cause there ain't no other way outta this situation for either of us.Explain why this photo was found on your computer, Ol' Bag:
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae287/scarlettparrish/GerardButler102.jpg
Oh come on. Like you didn't know I was gonna do that.

Ken
11-14-2010, 12:05 AM
I had one time where I'd ripped myself and my guy apart in one photo and put the pieces in an envelope. I opened it right back up to look at it again, and he was gone. Totally, 100% missing. I never did find the pieces of him!

... kinda creepy :-O

brainstorm77
11-14-2010, 12:22 AM
There is thing dealing with chicken blood, black candles and... nevermind.

scarletpeaches
11-14-2010, 12:26 AM
I think a kick in the nuts and banging his best friend works much better.

Sweetleaf
11-14-2010, 12:37 AM
I still have photos of exes, because I consider them not worthy of the effort involved in shredding/burning/flushing/voodoo. I never look at them either, they're just... there. Somewhere. I think.

jennontheisland
11-14-2010, 12:37 AM
I actually had a collage of friends and boyfriends when I was younger. Everyone I met, friended, fucked, boyfriended from the time I was about 17 to 21.

And then I got married.

The collage became his most hated thing. It was not sufficient that I merely dismantle it, and store the pictures with all my other photos. No, it had to be destroyed. I ignored, rebuffed and blew off his complaints until I got so sick of hearing about it that I finally did as was demanded and threw out some of my favourite pics.

Short answer, I guess, is that I keep them.

rugcat
11-14-2010, 01:56 AM
I never kept any, on the theory that it was better to move on.

Now that I'm older, I wish I'd kept all those pictures. I had a varied and interesting life as a young man, and I'd love to have a record of it now. I can't think of a single ex that I have bad feelings toward anymore, even the ones with painful breakups -- some nostalgia on occasion, but that's it.

Cliff Face
11-14-2010, 03:33 AM
I didn't take any photos of my lovers.

Hell, I have exactly 15 photos in my collection - all from one drunken night with friends. And I'm thinking about getting rid of those too.

I've moved completely past those "friends", haven't spoken to any of them in years. I don't give two shits about them, so why do I still have photos of an unmemorable drunken night during my alcoholic phase? Probably because my room's a mess and I don't know where the photo album is...

Why is there no option for "Never take photos in the first place"?

BeatrixKiddo
11-14-2010, 07:42 AM
None of the above. I generally just toss them in the garbage.

Ditto.

I don't take pictures of boyfriends much anymore though. When your line of exes starts to get longer and longer, you eventually decide to become much more selective of whom to take pictures of.

I had pictures of the last one on my Facebook page. I deleted all of them after I said goodbye. It's a shame his personality didn't match his outer beauty. *sigh*

rhymegirl
11-14-2010, 08:05 AM
I don't have any.

My sisters might have a few in their possession from events I attended with exes such as weddings. It's always funny when one of those photos turns up.

COchick
11-14-2010, 08:32 AM
I chose shred, but I just toss them in the trash. I don't have anything left from any exes...I wouldn't want to look at guys who are no longer in my life.

Of course, I have looked several of them up on FB, and I just laugh when I see how terrible they look now. (Of course I still look, er, gorgeous.)

Mom'sWrite
11-14-2010, 08:53 AM
I've kept some (some were lost in various moves about the country,) but only for entertainment purposes. The picture triggers the memory that triggers the OMG-what-was-I-drinking/smoking/ingesting/thinking? response that triggers uncontrollable laughter. I'm easily amused by my own bad judgment.

thothguard51
11-14-2010, 11:04 AM
I have several albums of family, friends and old flames. They are snap shot of a captured time. Some of those times were fun, some not so fun, but they are snap shots of my life for good or bad.

To give an example, by son was going through one of my friends album and noticed a pattern....

"Dad how come there are only girls in this album?"

"Because they are my old girl friends son."

"Damn dad, you dated some seriously good looking babes. Why did you marry mom?"

"It was a coin toss, I lost. But seriously son, if I hadn't married you mom, then I wouldn't have you and your sister. So it was worth it."

My daughter likes to look at my old girlfriends for the fashions they wore, hair styles and all that stuff. She said I had a thing for hippie chicks. I guess she didn't notice my pony tail, Nauru shirts and love of black light posters all those years living with me.

Maybe its different with guys, I don't know, but I look back at a picture and I can tell the time period of my life at that time. Where I was living, what music was popular, what artist, what movie was out, what the headlines in the papers were, even who was president. There are so much a picture says other than some ass wipe hurt me.

Now my X wife conveniently lost the wedding album of my first marriage during one of our moves. I never understood that...

MissMacchiato
11-14-2010, 11:11 AM
mostly kept. There's only one that got all his stuff burnt - I really wanted to eradicate the memory of ever having been stupid enough to date someone so truly unpleasant.

He didn't hurt me the most, he was just the biggest asshole. The others are/were a part of my life and I'm fine with that, they're in albums from those years and I don't look at them or think of them all that often, if ever.

I have a stack of professional photos that I got taken with one, my parents have those stored in their loft. I mean really, burning something so expensive is abhorrent but there is no way I'd ever hang them up, ugh.

Cliff Face
11-14-2010, 11:35 AM
Coincidentally, I inherited a digital camera from my mum today (after posting in this thread).

I've already taken 2 photos, but haven't put them onto computer yet (I'll need to buy a camera-USB cable, as the one for this camera went missing).

I'll be very interested to see how they show up on computer. One is of my guitar, and on the camera screen at least it shows colourful lights along the strings where the flash caught at odd angles. I hope it looks really good on computer! The other is one I took of myself in the mirror. I didn't intend to upload that one anywhere online (I'm a private person) but I might actually upload it now that I've seen what happens when you photograph a mirror with the flash on. LOL, there's this big bright circle of light covering my head and the camera in the picture. You can still see most of my body (and I sucked in my gut ;)) but nothing identifying about it.

So tomorrow I'll probably have a look at camera-USB cables. Hopefully they're not too expensive.

Technically the cable mum used to have is still in the house somewhere. She just doesn't know where...

WildScribe
11-14-2010, 12:09 PM
With an abusive ex, I burned a copy of one photo as part of a spell (I'm pagan) to help me get his hooks out of me and let me recover from some of his emotional abuse. The rest? No idea. Probably trash, but it wasn't a big emotional button for me.

Vito
11-14-2010, 03:47 PM
It all makes me wonder if there's a picture of me that's been shredded, burned, flushed, or....bullseye!

Wayne K
11-14-2010, 03:50 PM
It all makes me wonder if there's a picture of me that's been shredded, burned, flushed, or....bullseye!
Will ya be wondering long?

:D

truelyana
11-14-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't have any. Pictures I mean, of any old girlfriends of old boyfriends, as pictures were never taken, so that solves that then. :)

Burning is a good way to let go completely, if you fancy giving that a try.

dolores haze
11-14-2010, 09:46 PM

Or defaced or treasured or cried over.

Button
11-15-2010, 02:56 AM
In a box somewhere among other photos that I keep in a box and lug around with me between moves and only open them once every two years or so. Just to note that they are pictures and close the box again.

If I didn't want a certain picture I'd probably toss it. I don't tend to rip photos.

But I don't like being in contact with an ex. I have no contact with an ex after. When it's done, I'm done and I move on.

Silver King
11-15-2010, 04:16 AM
...(I'll need to buy a camera-USB cable, as the one for this camera went missing)...
You could also purchase a memory card reader, which sell for about twenty dollars (US) and are slightly larger than a thumb drive. Instead of using a cable, you'd remove the memory card from the camera, insert it into the reader, then plug it into a USB port to transfer images to your computer. It's faster and more convenient than using a camera cable.

Vito
11-15-2010, 05:28 AM
treasured
Nice thought, a great way to close the weekend. :)

Velma deSelby Bowen
11-15-2010, 07:24 PM
I keep them, along with letters and such. They are part of my past, and part of what made me and brought me to here and now, and I honor them for that.

That said, I don't keep everything, and I don't keep it all forever: if things get water-damaged, or moldy, I throw them out.