PDA

View Full Version : We are now a paying market - Seeking submissions! [flat rate]

Thewaitingroommag
11-13-2010, 07:02 AM
New Magazine seeking submissions
The Waiting Room is a new magazine that will be distributed in waiting rooms throughout the country. The first issue will be published the first quarter of next year.

We are currently seeking submissions of all types. We currently have a need for poetry of any length, short fiction, essays, articles, and memoir pieces. Under 1500 words is preferred but we are flexible if the piece is right. Guidelines can be found on the website:

www.thewaitingroommag.com (http://www.thewaitingroommag.com)

We look forward to reading your work!

Tamara

Unimportant
11-13-2010, 10:52 AM
To save a mod the trouble, the pay rates as per their website are:

THE WAITING ROOM Payment is $20/for stories, articles or essays - $10/poem $10/art pieces or photos, plus one contributors copy.

As per this market's other thread, I asked if they were open to erotica etc, and they said they are open to all kinds of submissions.

Maryn
11-13-2010, 07:52 PM
As an erotica writer, I can't think of a less appropriate market for my work than a magazine intended to help people pass the time in a public waiting area, since it should induce a level of squirming need.

But it's good to know the pay rate. Thanks for digging it up. I really, really wish those posting in the paying markets would follow AW's guidelines for what the post should contain.

Maryn, who won't be submitting

Unimportant
11-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Maryn, I have to agree that this sounds like the worst possible market for erotica; and by making it limitless they have implied they will consider works with the usual taboos (necrophilia, bestiality, scat, etc). That may result in time-wasting for all parties involved.

Hopefully a mod will come along soon and repair the thread title.

Susie
11-15-2010, 02:04 AM
I read the submissions guidelines 'n didn't seen anything about erotica. They just mentioned flash fiction, poems and stories.

Unimportant
11-16-2010, 07:35 AM
Susie, see the discussion here: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196456

Nikki
01-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Hiya! Did anyone send to this market? And if so, did you hear back?
Thanks!

seaaircarol
01-21-2011, 03:06 AM
I did, Nikki. I subbed a poem on November 22, but haven't heard anything yet.

But duotrope isn't reporting a whole lot of responses from them overall.

Kensington
01-21-2011, 06:41 AM
I sent them a couple of stories in November, but haven't heard back.

PEBKAC
01-21-2011, 08:31 AM
I sent something and haven't heard back yet either. To be fair, they posted a 60 day or less response time on their site and my submission hasn't hit the 60 day mark yet. Also, posting here may have buried them in submissions.

AZGuy
01-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Sent two submissions - November 13 and November 18th. Both a little over 60 days. Have not yet heard back.

Nikki
01-21-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the word, I'll sit tight. ;)

seaaircarol
02-25-2011, 03:33 AM
There's now a note on their duotrope page saying that they might soon be declared a dead market.

Anyone hear anything?

stormie
02-25-2011, 05:42 PM
I had heard back within three days with a rejection, back in Nov.

So :Shrug:Don't know much else about them.

(FWIW: Tamara hasn't posted on AW since Nov.)

seaaircarol
02-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Sorry about the R, stormie, but I guess no one's going to get an acceptance at this point...

AZGuy
02-26-2011, 08:38 AM
On January 27 I inquired on the status of two submissions sent in mid November. Never received a response to my inquiry. It looks like Duotrope might be correct about them soon being declared a dead market.

stormie
02-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Sorry about the R, stormie, but I guess no one's going to get an acceptance at this point...
Thanks. But I have to say, a rejection on something like that doesn't bother me at all. It was a story that hadn't found a home.

onestepp
05-03-2011, 03:29 AM
Received a copy of the magazine The Waiting Room in the postal mail, but didn't receive an answer to poem sent nor was it in the issue I received.

Did anyone else receive a copy of the magazine?

Rocky Blier was on the cover and the whole magazine was filled with medical articles and medical advertisements.

seaaircarol
05-03-2011, 06:26 AM
How strange, onestepp!

No, I didn't receive one--at least not yet.

Manuel Royal
05-06-2011, 02:57 PM
If I were a plagiarist, I'd send them Flannery O'Connor's "Revelation".

PEBKAC
05-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Received a copy of the magazine The Waiting Room in the postal mail, but didn't receive an answer to poem sent nor was it in the issue I received.

Did anyone else receive a copy of the magazine?

Rocky Blier was on the cover and the whole magazine was filled with medical articles and medical advertisements.

Hahaha. They sent you a contributor copy and you're not in it? Murphy's Law says you'll be in it next quarter but they probably won't send you a contributor's copy since you already got your allotment.

Patsy
06-16-2011, 06:08 PM
I subbed stories and queried when I got no response after 3 months. Had an e-mail saying sorry, they'd had more submissions than they'd expected, but would look into my query and get back to me ASAP. That was in March. I haven't heard anything since.

stormie
06-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Just checked their site re: submissions. They still say response time is 60 days or less.