PDA

View Full Version : For Women

CaroGirl
11-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Hi gals. Have you ever heard of a scenario where a woman accidentally inserts another tampon while one is already in? My aunt did this once, and I thought about using it in my story (the character then gets toxic shock syndrome), but I'm not sure how plausible it sounds. What do you think?

Lyra Jean
11-12-2010, 07:04 PM
What if they got like a super absorbant tampon...like one you would wear overnight and then they just leave it in all day? I've heard of that happening.

The putting in a tampon without taking the other one out, if I read that I would question the character's intelligence. Unless you're going for comedy but then getting TSS isn't that funny. But then on tampons it does say remove used tampon before inserting a new one so putting in two at once must have happened often enough to add that in the directions/warnings.

scarletpeaches
11-12-2010, 07:07 PM
How on Earth would you not feel it?

CaroGirl
11-12-2010, 07:12 PM
How on Earth would you not feel it?
God knows, but somehow she did it. Must have been distracted or stressed or something and thought she'd already taken the first one out. Not very common, then, eh?

DamaNegra
11-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Well, I once had a neighbor who forgot to remove her tampon before sex, so he pushed it all the way in and she completely forgot about it. She didn't notice until it rotted inside her and it started smelling, so she went to the gyno and she found it.

I don't use tampons.

CaroGirl
11-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Well, I once had a neighbor who forgot to remove her tampon before sex, so he pushed it all the way in and she completely forgot about it. She didn't notice until it rotted inside her and it started smelling, so she went to the gyno and she found it.

I don't use tampons.
That's an interesting scenario for my character. Thanks!

DamaNegra
11-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Haha you're welcome! I knew this anecdote would come in handy someday ;)

Perks
11-12-2010, 07:26 PM
I definitely have heard of it. I'm thinking if it were of the slimmer variety and, god help me, very soggy, it could maybe go unnoticed. Then the original one would totally be forgotten about.

Urg. Very unpleasant.

Perks
11-12-2010, 07:28 PM

I don't use tampons.I actually know someone who was raped with a tampon still inside. She was only a young teenager, so it wasn't about being particularly roomy.

Smish
11-12-2010, 07:39 PM
I actually did that once. I was using the "lite" tampons (do they even make those anymore? I don't think I've seen anything below "regular" in a few years). I didn't realize it until I was removing the tampon(s) later; pulled the cord and both came out.

I didn't feel it, but maybe that was because they were both lites. And yes, I was very stressed/distracted at the time: it was the day before the bar exam.

So, anyway, it can happen, even to intelligent women. :rolleyes:

Rowan
11-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Smish: they still make those (and "juniors"). :)

I can see it maybe happening in the middle of the night if your character was really tired and out of it...maybe she'd been drinking the night before or something?

Lyra Jean
11-12-2010, 07:47 PM
I've never worn tampons so to me it sounds implausible. It does make a lot more sense when someone is under duress and stressed out.

Perks
11-12-2010, 07:52 PM
What's interesting is that there are actually very few nerve endings in the vaginal walls. What nerves there are mostly allow for the sensation of pressure, but like any static pressure, the awareness of it fades quickly.

So, that's why you wouldn't feel it if, for some reason, you didn't realize it right away.

Gretad08
11-12-2010, 08:44 PM
TWO of my friends have done this. One said she realized right away, the other not until later in the day.

scarletpeaches
11-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Maybe I'm just tight as a drum, then. You wouldn't get a matchstick up my foofar without me noticing.

CaroGirl
11-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Maybe I'm just tight as a drum, then. You wouldn't get a matchstick up my foofar without me noticing.
But I'm not imagining they'd be there side-by-side. The 2nd one would push the 1st up into the uterus. I don't expect you'd feel it rattling around up there, would you?

sparkypants
11-12-2010, 08:59 PM
I don't think it'd be so implausible. Our school nurse used to tell horror stories about when she'd had to help girls get the first one out after they'd put in a second and not realised! The joys of an all girls school. I don't think it's such a push to imagine it happening. I don't know the ins and outs of TSS but I'm sure it most likely happens when a single tampon is left in too long. Maybe if the character had a too high absorbancy tampon in towards the end of her period and just forgot about it?

scarletpeaches
11-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Rattling around? What are you saying, woman? It's not like throwing a mars bar up a closey, you know!

Perks
11-12-2010, 09:01 PM
But I'm not imagining they'd be there side-by-side. The 2nd one would push the 1st up into the uterus. I don't expect you'd feel it rattling around up there, would you?
Unless her cervix was for some reason dilated, it wouldn't go up into the uterus. It could get wedged up or off to the side beside or behind the cervix.

Eeep.

ETA - I guess, on second thought, the cervix is slightly dilated during menstruation. Maybe it would be enough. I think that makes me want to cry.

jennontheisland
11-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Into the uterus? Through the cervix? Um, no, I wouldn't buy that.

Even if she somehow managed to not notice the string that was hanging out of her, I can't imagine she wouldn't feel the pressure of another tampon against her uterus. In no way do I believe that a tampon would fit through a cervix. Unless she was in labour.

Re; Perk's comment about dilation during menstruation: Tampons are supposed to sit right next to the cervix. If it was dilated enough for a tampon to slip in, the first one would have made it in on its own.

Perks
11-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Lol! No. The vagina is actually a folded tube, so there are nooks if you will. (Not crannies. Never crannies.)

A sodden tampon could get crushed into one of those.

I think if it went through the cervix, you'd know.

Alpha Echo
11-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Yup.

I did this..somehow. I never realized it until I went to the doctor because I kept bleeding this deep red color. Long after my period should have been over. She was really nice about it and took that second one out. It'd been knocked so far in between the second tampon and subsequent sex...pretty gross and very embarrassing.

CaroGirl
11-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Lol! No. The vagina is actually a folded tube, so there are nooks if you will. (Not crannies. Never crannies.)

A sodden tampon could get crushed into one of those.

I think if it went through the cervix, you'd know.
Ah, okay.

*Caro goes back to Anatomy 101. :)*

dclary
11-12-2010, 11:05 PM
I am never going to be able to unread this thread. I hate you all.

CaroGirl
11-12-2010, 11:06 PM
You read the thread title first, right?

dclary
11-12-2010, 11:10 PM
You read the thread title first, right?

Good point. :(

stormie
11-12-2010, 11:14 PM
One of my sisters is very intelligent (member of MENSA) yet she:

Used to put two in at one time on purpose (so she wouldn't have to go to ladies room a lot) and would tie the ends together first then insert.

And one time did forget one was in there, and put another in. She realized it within a day but I don't know how. So, yes, it can happen.

ETA: the reason I mention her intelligence, is because I think someone up-thread mentioned that you couldn't be too intelligent if you forget a tampon is in there.

Medievalist
11-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Tampax used to suggest using two tampons for "heavy flow days" in that little insert.

stormie
11-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Tampax used to suggest using two tampons for "heavy flow days" in that little insert.
That's probably where she got the idea then. Doubt they'd recommend it now, w/ toxic shock syndrome. But she did forget about it once, I remember, and was surprised much later that day.

Captcha
11-13-2010, 02:23 AM
I've done it. Let's just say that I'm not terribly alert in the morning.

But the first one didn't get shoved up further, it just - well, I don't really know, went off to the side, I guess. There were two strings when I went to change my tampon (later in the day, when I was awake).

scarletpeaches
11-13-2010, 02:26 AM
I still don't understand how anyone could forget to take the old one out.

Forget you're wearing one, yes - they're hardly painful or uncomfortable to wear, but...I mean...blood? The thought, "Hmm, I'm on my period- wait a minute!" Don't you see the string?

For the record, TMI, etc, etc, I never wear them at night in case I sleep in and don't get up until after the 8-hour 'safe limit'.

DeaK
11-13-2010, 03:16 AM
All this talk, especially about the string, is making me wonder if I will ever forget to remove my Diva Cup... That's right – I wear a cup. Oh, I'm sure I'll never forget, after all, it's constantly on my mind that I'm now a Diva. Right now. Never was before. And I hurry up and put it back after I rinse it off in the sink, because that part doesn't feel so Diva-ish. But then I'm back... All ta-da Diva!

Ignore me – not trying to derail – just wanted to say: I'm a Diva.

rhymegirl
11-13-2010, 05:13 AM
I don't use tampons.

I'm with you on this. Never used them. I always figured you'd get blood all over your hand trying to get them in and out. Yuck.

Jersey Chick
11-13-2010, 05:25 AM
Foofar = best. word. ever.

Captcha
11-13-2010, 05:28 AM
I still don't understand how anyone could forget to take the old one out.

Forget you're wearing one, yes - they're hardly painful or uncomfortable to wear, but...I mean...blood? The thought, "Hmm, I'm on my period- wait a minute!" Don't you see the string?

For the record, TMI, etc, etc, I never wear them at night in case I sleep in and don't get up until after the 8-hour 'safe limit'.

See, I don't wear them at night either. But then, as I said, in the morning, I'm not too alert. So I know I need one - I remember that I have my period, I know it needs to be dealt with. I just forget that I've dealt with it already, twenty minutes ago.

Don't ask me about all the different things I've used instead of toothpaste, first thing in the morning. Also the number of times I've put soft soap in my hair instead of styling product. Honestly - mornings are not good.

Jersey Chick
11-13-2010, 05:34 AM
Instead of body wash, I put shampoo on the pouf the other morning. Realized it before I soaped up, and did a **facepalm**. What a waste of good shampoo.

Two tampons? I haven't done that yet, but there's still many months left for it to happen. :)

Smish
11-13-2010, 05:34 AM
But the first one didn't get shoved up further, it just - well, I don't really know, went off to the side, I guess. There were two strings when I went to change my tampon (later in the day, when I was awake).

That was my experience, too. There was some discussion earlier in the thread of squished, soggy tampons being pushed upward, but that wasn't the case. Both tampons still had their normal shape and came out together.

Captcha
11-13-2010, 05:40 AM
Instead of body wash, I put shampoo on the pouf the other morning. Realized it before I soaped up, and did a **facepalm**. What a waste of good shampoo.

Two tampons? I haven't done that yet, but there's still many months left for it to happen. :)

I had to start storing my conditioner on the floor outside the tub, because otherwise I'd reach for it instead of reaching for the shampoo - I generally caught myself before I'd applied it to my hair, but there have been several occasions where I've stood there in the shower, wondering why I'm not getting any suds...

Perks
11-13-2010, 06:00 AM
Don't ask me about all the different things I've used instead of toothpaste, first thing in the morning. I once brushed my teeth with Clearasil in the ladies' room at Schiphol airport after an overnight flight to Amsterdam.

To be honest, I've never gotten a zit on my teeth since.

Jersey Chick
11-13-2010, 06:04 AM
:ROFL:

Silver King
11-13-2010, 06:48 AM
TMI post, from a male's perspective:

I can see how a tampon can be forgotten, as I've "met" one or two in the past, head on, which created some awkward moments. But we laughed about it afterwards.

Monkey
11-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Inserting two tampons wouldn't automatically give someone TSS--from what I understand, TSS is pretty rare.

This is from wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth, but:

Patrick Schlievert, who published a study on it in 2004, determined incidence at 3 to 4 out of 100,000 tampon-using females per year; the information supplied by manufacturers of sanitary products such as Tampax and Stayfree puts it at 1 to 17 of every 100,000 menstruating females per year.[5][6]

Sage
11-13-2010, 07:11 AM
OMG, this thread makes me even more determined not to use tampons.

Rose English
11-13-2010, 08:33 AM
God knows, but somehow she did it. Must have been distracted or stressed or something and thought she'd already taken the first one out. Not very common, then, eh?

I've done this more than once. It doesn't take long to realise something feels quite wrong though, I had an uncomfortable pressure high up. Easily resolved without a trip to the OB/GYN.

The scenario sounds plausible to me except that I thought TSS was very rare...

COchick
11-13-2010, 08:46 AM
All this talk, especially about the string, is making me wonder if I will ever forget to remove my Diva Cup... That's right I wear a cup. Oh, I'm sure I'll never forget, after all, it's constantly on my mind that I'm now a Diva. Right now. Never was before. And I hurry up and put it back after I rinse it off in the sink, because that part doesn't feel so Diva-ish. But then I'm back... All ta-da Diva!

Ignore me not trying to derail just wanted to say: I'm a Diva.

I am also a Diva.

But one woman I know did do this, and had to go to the doctor to have it removed after it started to...smell.

cate townsend
11-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Re toxic shock: my brother works in an ICU, and they recently had a woman in there who had toxic shock. She was 39 or 40, and had forgotten about her tampon during a backpacking trip. She had nearly died from it, and lost several toes and fingers. I think if you say your character got it from simply forgetting about it, it would be plausible.

MAP
11-13-2010, 09:05 AM

LOL, that will teach you.

My sister's friend did this once, so I think this is believable.

Mr Flibble
11-13-2010, 02:19 PM
ETA: the reason I mention her intelligence, is because I think someone up-thread mentioned that you couldn't be too intelligent if you forget a tampon is in there.

Intelligence does NOT equal any kind of common sense. My brother is smart enough it's scary, but we tell stories about the hare-brained stuff he's done through not paying attention.

Don't ask me about all the different things I've used instead of toothpaste, first thing in the morning. Also the number of times I've put soft soap in my hair instead of styling product. Honestly - mornings are not good.

Hair spray and deodorant should be in different shaped bottles. That's all I'm saying.

As for the OP, yup, not done it myself but know a couple of girls who have.

scarletpeaches
11-13-2010, 02:28 PM
OMG, this thread makes me even more determined not to use tampons.Or...use them, but pay attention to what you shove up your clunge.

backslashbaby
11-13-2010, 02:46 PM
:ROFL: ^^^

I know I've started to do it, but I don't recall the circumstances. My uterus is too darned close (that's called something medically), so I knew very soon what was up. It tried to go straight back, yes.

maggi90w1
11-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Inserting two tampons wouldn't automatically give someone TSS--from what I understand, TSS is pretty rare.
And only about half of the cases are tampon related (and we don't know if they wouldn't have occurred anyway)
The tampon itself isn't dangerous. It just provides a good (warm, moist) place for the bacteria to grow.

JulieHowe
11-14-2010, 01:37 AM
Hi gals. Have you ever heard of a scenario where a woman accidentally inserts another tampon while one is already in? My aunt did this once, and I thought about using it in my story (the character then gets toxic shock syndrome), but I'm not sure how plausible it sounds. What do you think?

I did this once and it took a medical professional to retrieve the damned thing. I've never been SO embarrassed in my life. However, there was an instant realization 'Oh F**K I can't believe what I just did!' and the problem was that I couldn't retrieve the first one. So I can't imagine any kind of a delayed realization - you would know immediately. Also, I believe the chances of actually dying of toxic shock syndrome under these circumstances would be almost non-existent.

Also this experience was with those little magic bullet-sized tampons, which were fantastic and far easier to deal with - until the day I accidentally shoved two of them up there, one right after the other. I never used this style of tampon again because once you lost hold of the string, you really were more or less f**ed.

jennontheisland
11-14-2010, 02:36 AM
Hm. I must be particularly shallow, because I could reach up there and grab the garlic cloves I was using to treat a yeast infection, and those are even smaller than the little OB tampons. I can't imagine losing something in my cunt.

And I've worn those tiny OBs for more than 12 hours at a time with no concerns about TSS.

scarletpeaches
11-14-2010, 02:42 AM
Hm. I must be particularly shallow, because I could reach up there and grab the garlic cloves I was using to treat a yeast infection, and those are even smaller than the little OB tampons. I can't imagine losing something in my cunt.

And I've worn those tiny OBs for more than 12 hours at a time with no concerns about TSS.Don't lie. Those were to keep marauding vampires away from your seeping clunge.

jennontheisland
11-14-2010, 02:52 AM
Shit hits your system so fast I coulda killed the whole cast of Twilight at ten paces before I even left the bathroom.

scarletpeaches
11-14-2010, 02:57 AM
Shit hits your system so fast I coulda killed the whole cast of Twilight at ten paces before I even left the bathroom.So why the hell didn't you? Your ladygarden coulda saved the world from Barfing Dawn.

jennontheisland
11-14-2010, 03:05 AM
I've decided to switch from romance to horror. I like watching others suffer.

scarletpeaches
11-14-2010, 03:07 AM
I hate you and your death-dealing garlic-crusher.

jennontheisland
11-14-2010, 03:09 AM
I hate you and your death-dealing garlic-crusher.
Yes, I know. I think it's for the best. Fine like between the two and all... ;)