PDA

View Full Version : Different agents for different books?

MadameApeFace
11-12-2010, 05:21 AM
Hey everyone! Not positive this is the right place to ask this, but it IS an agent-related question, and I hope someone can help me!

I have a full out with an agent right now; she read it, asked for a revise & resubmit, which I did, and she is (theoretically, anyway,) reading the resub now.

MEANWHILE: I have completed a second project in a completely different genre (one the agent in question does not represent,) and I would like to start querying it. Is there anything wrong or untoward about this? Even if the agent in question does decide to rep my first ms, (pretty please?) it is doubtful she would consider a second work outside her wheelhouse, yes?

I guess what I'm really asking is, is it rude or unprofessional or (gulp) amateur-hour to be seeking two agents to represent two different works?

K1P1
11-12-2010, 05:50 AM
MadameApeFace,

It would have been better to start a new thread with your question, since it really isn't related to the original post in this thread and the subsequent discussion.

Querying multiple agents is just fine, even with the same work unless one of the agents asks for an exclusive. If an agent asks to represent you, you should let the agent know that you are also querying agents for another genre.

In the contract with any agent that signs you, you need to make sure it's very clear whether the agent's representing ALL of your book-length work, or just specific genres.

MadameApeFace
11-12-2010, 06:15 AM
K1P1--

Thank you so much! You're right -- not the right place for my question, but I'm really grateful that you answered anyway :)

CaoPaux
11-12-2010, 06:17 AM
Broken out to own thread. Carry on.

rainsmom
11-12-2010, 07:59 AM
It's not uncommon for agents to sell a second (or third or fourth) book by one of their clients in a genre the agent doesn't normally sell. It's much more uncommon to have multiple agents.

Continue to shop the first manuscript to agents best for it. Shop the second manuscript to the agents best for it. If you get an offer of representation for EITHER manuscript (and want to accept it), explain to the agent that you have a second manuscript making the rounds with agents.

Let that agent decide whether to rep both manuscripts or not. If the agent decides to rep both, then you simply e-mail the agents with partials or fulls of BOTH manuscripts and withdraw the manuscript from consideration.

Likely any agent who offers representation is going to want to talk toyou about what genre you're most interested in. Few will encourage you to genre-hop, because it's difficult to build a steady, loyal fanbase that way.

MadameApeFace
11-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks, rainsmom! My full is currently out with only the one agent, and if she comes back with an R I've got another request for an R&R, but I'm otherwise done shopping it. Simplifies things a bit :)

Danthia
11-12-2010, 05:22 PM
It's not wrong, and it's done all the time. Some other things to consider...

You're working with an agent at the moment, who is taking time to do revisions with you. If this is an agent you'd like to be with, you might think about holding off querying the other project until that project is settled. Just professional courtesy. You don't have to of course. Query wildly is the standard practice, and until you get an offer you're a free agent. It's really up to you to wait or not.

If that agent doesn't rep a genre you think you'll be writing more in, you might rethink if that's the agent for you. It is possible to have more than one agent, but you see in moire with fiction/non-fiction. If it's two fiction projects, I can see being put in a bind at some point over not knowing who to send what book too if you write something that both agents handle. There could be a future conflict of interest. Again, maybe not something to worry about, but worth considering if you know which genre you'd prefer to write in as a career.

You also might want to think about your career long-term. Rainsmom mentioned the dangers of genre-hopping, so which genre are you hoping to make a career writing? Which agent is the best for that career?