Austrian Countryside Clergy circa 1850

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
Doing a bit of research about an Austrian schloss (or manor) circa 1850 or so. A rather isolated place without an actual village for thirty miles or more (just some farmers, woodsmen, etc.), but a few similar estates in the general vicinity.

Said schloss has a chapel. How often might the inhabitants expect to see a member of the clergy and have services? This particular area is mostly Catholic, but the family may well be Protestant.

Thanks in advance!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if such a place exists. I've spent quite a bit of time in the German countryside and I can't think of a place where the nearest town is more than 5-10 km away, these towns are all hundreds of years old.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
There were portions of Styria in Austria more-or-less like this in the mid-1800s. Styria suffered a severe loss of population in the 1700s.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Would depend a lot on the size of the Schloss in question. If you're intending it to be a manor, Schloss is not the best word for it. It's used more for something the size of a château or castle (think Neuschwanstein). Something of that size might actually have a priest among the personnel, i.e. available full-time, or at least while in use by the owner.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
The place in question began life as a castle, but is currently (i.e. 1850s) the home of an elderly man, his teenage daughter and her two governesses. Plus servants. No priest or minister 'on staff'.

None of the above facts can be changed.