• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Avoiding Distractions or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love to Write

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMindKiller

Only I Will Remain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabberwocky.ws
I wouldn't really call it writer's block... more like... "Get away from me, life!" block... cause I can't seem to avoid distractions like, oh, you know... Internet Forums... long enough to sit down and write. 90% of my writing is a struggle.

I forget the exact quote or who said it, but they said something like "Writer's block is when a writer stares at a blank piece of paper until drops of blood appear on their forehead."

That's me. And most of the time when I'm staring at that blank piece of paper I get distracted by a shiny object or Family Guy or something like that, so I'm looking for ways to kill the distractions.

I remember reading in On Writing, Stephen King's part-writing advice book, part-autobiography how he used to have a small, dark room where he'd shut himself in until he'd written 2000 words... I need something like that.

At the same time, I need something that encourages ease of use. The more I have to put into setting it up just to start writing for the day, the less likely I'm going to come back to it to write again the next day.

For example, I would like to use a typewriter because I much prefer typing over writing. However, I don't want all the hassles that come with setting up a typewriter... ink, paper, sticking keys, etc. I need something where its only function is writing, much like a typewriter, that doesn't require much more than pressing a power button or opening a program.

Basically, I need a way to take a computer and strip it of anything useful except for its ability to type the buttons I press. Even those little notebooks are far more advanced than this.

Is there such a thing as a digital typewriter? All it does is type but without any of the mess of a typewriter?

At the same time, I'm also trying to find a good program and hardware that will translate voice to text. I find that I can't type nearly fast enough to stay caught up with what I'm thinking and I end up losing track and getting frustrated. I can't write any faster, so I need another option. I need a way to record my voice into text. I know these sort of devices EXIST, but they haven't historically been very good. I'm hoping with all the recent innovations in voice command protocols that maybe something good is creeping into this market, too.

If this could be mobile, portable, that'd be even better. I often find myself inspired with things to write about when I go out running in the evenings and I usually have to wait until I come back home to write it down. If it comes at me at the beginning of my run I've usually either forgotten about it or decided it wasn't worth the trouble by the time I get home.

Like Mitch Hedberg used to say...

"So, I sit at the hotel at night and I think of something that’s funny. Or, If the pen is too far away, I have to convince myself that what I thought of wasn’t funny."

I need to put the pen always in reach.

So, basically, I'm looking for some advice from other writers out there:

1. Help me create a sensory deprivation writing tank so that when I go there it's only for writing and nothing can distract me.

2. Do you know of any good voice-to-text translation software? What about good mic hardware? Maybe something portable that I can use on the go?

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
I think like any kind of work, sometimes it just comes down to self-discipline. Forcing yourself to sit down and write. I've found setting a timer and telling myself I only have to go for that amount of time helps me to get started. By the time it dings I'm usually in a groove and keep going. If not, I get up and do something else for a few minutes, then sit down and try again.

Michael_T

Physicist posing as a novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Timers work are good, but here is something to help you out:

Literally UNPLUG your TV/entertainment center and UNPLUG your internet modem and/or router. If you can hit the circuit breakers for those things, even better.

Or if you want to get real productive, get rid of your TV/radio and take a hot glue gun and fill up your ethernet port on your computer (ala Johnathan Franzen)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I use a Firefox add-on, LeechBlock, to shut off the many distractions of the internets.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
The two best writing tools I have: an Alphasmart Neo and a sports watch with a timer. I carry both with me everywhere and usually write in 20 minute bursts.

The Neo is very much like a digital typewriter. You can't do anything but write on it. One added advantage (for me): you can only see 4-6 lines at a time, so it forces you to keep moving forward instead of stopping to edit. The Neo also turns on instantly, so you can cram writing into the nooks and crannies of your day.

Here's a link to the Alphasmart website:
http://www.neo-direct.com/default.aspx

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Basically, I need a way to take a computer and strip it of anything useful except for its ability to type the buttons I press. Even those little notebooks are far more advanced than this.
Which is why I bought a laptop that my husband made sure could not access internet, or games or....anything. Except word. Works too.

PS Write or die is helpful too.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
There's a thing called an AlphaSmart. It's a keyboard with a small screen. It's pretty much designed just for writing.

I love my AlphaSmart. It has a very small screen, so you just bang out words and they disappear off the top of the screen very quickly. DEATH to my infernal internal editor. My word count has never been better.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
The Alphasmart looks ideal. One question for those who have one...how is the keyboard? Is it small and awkward for typing or is the keyboard size comparable to a PC?

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
The Alphasmart looks ideal. One question for those who have one...how is the keyboard? Is it small and awkward for typing or is the keyboard size comparable to a PC?

It's a full-size keyboard, and it's actually the best keyboard I've ever typed on.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Thanks Bubastes. I'm really thinking about buying one.

Another satisifed Alphasmart user. The keyboard is IDEAL in every sense of the word: pressure needed for the keys to word, clickety sound, size, portability, everything. The instant turn-on feature is also ideal: press a button and start writing, simple as that. And uploading your writing to a word processor is also ideal: you just press a button and it auto-sends itself, or install the program to copy-paste huge blocks of text.

Based on your OP, the Alphasmart is definitely what you're looking for.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use a Firefox add-on, LeechBlock, to shut off the many distractions of the internets.
I did that specifically to block this pernicious internet addiction I have called AW. Then I started using Chrome to get around it.

It's not even funny. There's times I think of begging Mac to ban me for my own good.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Without my Alphasmart, I would have never finished a novel. I wrote more during the first year of owning an Alphasmart than in the previous five years combined. It's done wonders for my productivity.

TheMindKiller

Only I Will Remain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabberwocky.ws
I like that Alphasmart tool, that's pretty much what I was looking for, thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to look into getting one. A Kindle in one hand, an Alphasmart in the other... I'll be a tech-geek writing miracle man :p

Duchessmary

Where I want to be
Registered
Reaction score
My problem is the weekends. Not so much Sundays, 'cause that's a day of rest. But Saturdays...ACK. I've got husband, daughter watching idiot TV. I've got my daughter's dog barking just when I want to settle down and write. Other than shooting them all with poison darts, any suggestions?

TheMindKiller

Only I Will Remain
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabberwocky.ws
Download audio books and go for a walk? Good time to take up reading and exercising! lol

Or get an Alphasmart like these guys are recommending and drive to a park... far away... from TV... TV is bad... Netflix is worse... cause I can watch Netflix on my phone, lol...

5bcarnies

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorinthedark.blogspot.com
I'm not too techno-savvy. So, I got a great used laptop that doesn't automatically have internet access. Since I have no idea how to upgrade it (thankfully my hubby does if I ever want the internet on there, which is doubtful) I can't lose focus when I lock myself in either my bedroom or office.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I have an AlphaSmart Dana model that I got from Craigslist, but it's missing the software CD and I can't get it to download properly. This thread reminds me I need to call their tech support. I wanted to use it for NaNoWriMo so I could sneak-write at work.

It seems like a great tool. Looking forward to using it. There are a few differences between it and the Neo model, not sure if they matter. The Neo is cheaper and the battery runs longer. I don't remember the advantages of the more expensive Dana.

(scampering off to look at their website)

Oh, and until then, try going to a coffee shop to write, instead of staying at home, if you have a laptop. The change of scenery helps immensely. It's a psych thing for me. I know I'm there to work, not play.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, change of scenery is definitely a good thing. Taking yourself away from your home life and all those various distractions really helps concentration, and gives a new perspective on things.

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
I guess I have the opposite problem. Writer's "Un-block", maybe? I get pissed off if a television show comes on that actually interests me (there's only one in the whole of the week, but it's still too much) because it's taking me from my writing. It's all I can do not to come straight in from work and head right for my computer. It's all I can do to concentrate at work because I'm thinking about writing. I dread almost any type of outing on the weekends because I'll think about how much progress I could've made. I get angry because there's that darn thing called sleep that's evidently essential to health. And oh yeah - eating. That seems to get in my way quite a bit. Darn husband and children with their need to be fed so frequently. =)

Obsessed, anyone? Or is it just me? I'm just one of those where I'm driven, compelled to write and so my difficulty is in getting myself to stop and enjoy my actual life from time to time.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I've taken a voluntary temporary banning a couple of times when I needed to get something finished. It was hell, but it worked.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
To answer your second question, Windows 7 comes with Speech to Text. It works as well as Dragon Natural Speaking and seems to have a faster learning curve for your voice.
Of course you'd need to use it on your PC. It wouldn't work on the AlphaSmart. It is a good alternative if you have tendinitis, or carpal tunnel. You can give your hands a rest and still get some writing done. I had a pinched nerve that paralyzed three fingers on my right hand. The Speech to Text allowed me to continue writing.

Fingers are working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.