PDA

View Full Version : S.T.A.L.K.E.R gets a TV show!

Zoombie
11-10-2010, 11:07 PM
S.T.A.L.K.E.R (And no, i have no idea what that stands for) is a video game series that takes place in the exclusion zone around the Chernobyl reactor. Except in this weird, alternate universe, the exclusion zone also includes anomalies (weird warps in space/time that cause inexplicable things to kill you in horrible ways) and artifacts (amazing items that break the laws of physics over their knee, and are thus, the most valuable things in the world).

STALKERS are people who explore the Zone for artifacts, selling them on the black market.

Now, the game is based off the book, Roadside Picnic, which had a similar concept of an exclusion zone full of bizarre artifacts and anomalies. Except it didn't take place around Chernobyl, and the artifacts were alien leftovers. Hence: Roadside Picnic.

Both are quite good, the game being an engrossing (if somewhat confusing) survival horror romp and the book being awesome (if somewhat confusing) sci-fi.

And now it's a TV show!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elwVeJYtCOA

Adam
11-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Ooh, funky. :D

I had a lot of fun with the game (though it was buggy as hell), but I think the TV show would scare the bejeezus out of me. :tongue:

Zoombie
11-10-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm now being informed that the trailer might just be a trailer made for fun.

Durn tricky russians.

Adam
11-11-2010, 12:06 AM
Bah!

Still, gave me the urge to reinstall the game sometime, so it's not a complete loss. ;)

RandomJerk
11-11-2010, 03:34 AM
Sounds very fun.

From Wikipedia (citing Gamespot, I believe it was):
"S.T.A.L.K.E.R. stands for 'Scavenger, Trespasser, Adventurer, Loner, Killer, Explorer, Robber'." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:_Shadow_of_Chernobyl#cite_note-4)

clockwork
11-11-2010, 03:40 AM
I love the Stalker game. Incredibly involving. I lost an entire weekend when I played it the first time. It's definitely buggy but there was nothing that broke the game for me thank God. Just things like doing side missions that either weren't there or didn't start up.

But yeah, this looks like a pretty decent fanboy experiment, or maybe test footage. It doesn't have that professional gloss yet. Would make a good TV series though. Hollywood's been tinkering with Roadside picnic for decades. Travolta was a big champion at one point. Let's hope it doesn't become Battlefield Earth Take Two.