PDA

View Full Version : Where Everyone is From

Kim Gogo
09-26-2005, 05:21 AM
I'm bouncing around to all the different threads, trying to keep track of promotional ideas, etc.

Jenna, I was wondering if you could let us know how many Canadians are involved, as I am sure the Canadian media thrives on this kind of information. Some kinda identity-crisis thing, I'd imagine! ;) HA!

Anyway, Charlie et al, I don't want us to duplicate our work, though it does sound that Charlie has the west coast, there is someone on the east, and then there may be at least one other writer from Ontario besides me...though I can't remember her/his name. Whomever you are, will you be in a position to approach Global TV and the CH? I used to be a friend-of-a-friend with an on-air personality on CH when he lived in Ottawa and worked at a radio station where my husband used to work.

I'm tackling local media as I think the eastern writer is. Charlie sounds like he's managing the local media in the west, as well as approaching CanadaAM. Charlie, it sounds like all four of us are available to talk to CanadaAM, though I'm not sure if they would be interested in the expense of flying us in for an interview together, or bringing in a camera crew for a remote. I think they're located in BC, are they not? Perhaps if anything, they'd settle for a telephone conference call, or something.

In regards to papers and radio, I haven't considered a national representation; just local as well.

For bookstores, I never considered approaching them (ie Chapters) b/c, like the eastern writer, I'm not familiar with how to go about asking them if they'd be interested in advertising a POD book. If any of the other Cdn writers do approach Chapters, we should bring it to the attn of the others, so that we can walk in and say, "several Vancouver Chapters are volunteering to help with the publicity...yada...yada...".

I feel a little awkward about offering a book signing with my little piece of the gigantic puzzle. I guess it's a little bit of small-town pride but I feel like people will look at me like I'm trying to gain attn for myself. What do you say? "This is the book..yada...yada...would you be interested in having some form of book-signing to aid with publicizing such a good cause?" It seems a little....odd to me. I guess the best word would be unusual, since I've never been involved in a book-signing. Is it up to the writer to suggest it to the bookstore/store?

There is a big book fair coming up. I have to talk to a fellow executive member of the Ottawa Cdn Authors Assoc branch. I'm the local program coordinator. Perhaps she'll let me stick some books/flyers on their table.

That's about it for now. Hope to hear from you, here in the redwhiteandred thread to discuss plans for taking-over the Cdn market. I'm sure I will still bounce around between the other forums. I like to keep up with the plans.

ciao...kim

ChunkyC
09-26-2005, 06:48 AM
Good idea for this thread, Kim. We can coordinate the Canadian effort from here.

I only have a moment, but as far as CanadaAM is concerned, I believe they can link up with any of their affiliate studios. The show is broadcast from Toronto. I would only need to go to the CTV station in Calgary, you to the Ottawa one, and so on. Jenna would probably be able to go to whatever studio in NYC that CTV habitually works with. This is if they like the idea, of course.

I'll be getting an inquiry out in the next day or so.

JennaGlatzer
09-26-2005, 07:38 AM
I'm terrible at remembering where everyone is from, but I know we have at least 3 other Canadians involved: Frank, Ruth, and Ally.

jdkiggins
09-26-2005, 08:32 AM
Jenna, Is there any way to get a list of names of author contributors with city/state/country? If you don't have where everyone lives, maybe we could start a thread as a list. Have everyone list there name and where they live if their piece has been accepted.

This way if someone sees that another person lives in their area, they can PM each other and make it easier to coordinated things in their areas.

Ray, Sara and I will be working together as Pennsylvania authors, and anyone in Western Pa who may be interested in joining forces can get together for one big book signing. We're working on trying to get Barnes & Noble involved along with a few other bookstores in the area.

I'll start with mine, feel free to move it to a separate thread for others to list their residence, it may help cooridinate the efforts.

Joanne D. Kiggins, Economy Borough, Sewickley, PA, USA

AdamH
09-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Yeah Kim, I'm going to start hitting the media around here (the Maritimes)tomorrow...assuming that I don't get sidetracked with regular errands...but I'll be sure to get it done by the end of next week.Anyone else from Atlantic Canada representin'? Just wondering. I've never done promotion on this level before so any help would be great (though I've got a lot of pointers from the other threads).

-Adam (the man behind the moniker) :)

Kim Gogo
09-26-2005, 04:10 PM
Jenna, Is there any way to get a list of names of author contributors with city/state/country? If you don't have where everyone lives, maybe we could start a thread as a list. Have everyone list there name and where they live if their piece has been accepted.

I'll start with mine, feel free to move it to a separate thread for others to list their residence, it may help cooridinate the efforts.

Joanne D. Kiggins, Economy Borough, Sewickley, PA, USA

Good idea, Joanne! If Jenna moves your post, I'll find it and add to it.

Hi, Adam--I think we're a group of four up here. You are in the East, Charlie's in the West, I'm central, with someone else, but I can't remember who. I'll have to dig through some old posts to find the person and PM him/her to join us, so we know precisely who and where s/he is. Unless, Charlie, you know who s/he is...?

k

Cabria
09-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Good idea for this thread, Kim. We can coordinate the Canadian effort from here.

I only have a moment, but as far as CanadaAM is concerned, I believe they can link up with any of their affiliate studios. The show is broadcast from Toronto. I would only need to go to the CTV station in Calgary, you to the Ottawa one, and so on. Jenna would probably be able to go to whatever studio in NYC that CTV habitually works with. This is if they like the idea, of course.

I'll be getting an inquiry out in the next day or so.

Hey Charlie,

Just as a point of interest, the co-host of Canada AM, Seamus O'Regan, is from St. John's, Newfoundland. Just thought I'd mention that seeing that's where I'm from. :)

Debbie

Kim Gogo
09-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Hi Debbie--it's good to find out about you and where you are. I think that makes five Cdns so far.

In many ways, it's great that we are spread out b/c we can cover more ground. It's unfortunate though, b/c it means we can't easily get together to sign books as a force.

kim

Cabria
09-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Hey Kim,

I'm going to do my best with my immediate local area (once everything is finalized). I'm learning all of this as I go along (good experience for sure)! Hopefully I'll cross all my t's and dot all my i's (hmmmm....I'll probably dot the t's and cross the i's! lol)

Debbie :)

ChunkyC
09-26-2005, 06:52 PM
G'marnin' gang!

Debbie -- I thought of that tidbit about Seamus. I'm of Irish descent, so we can appeal to him on two levels there!

List of Canadians in the Anthology (so far as I know) UPDATE: Robert just contacted me, so we now have eight Canadians!

ChunkyC -- Charlie, in Canmore near Calgary
Robert Rohloff -- in Winnipeg
aka eraser -- Frank, near Toronto
Yeshanu & Kida Adelyne -- Ruth and Ally, near Toronto
Kim Gogo -- Ottawa
Maddwriter -- Adam, Halifax
Cabria -- Debbie, St. John's, Newfoundland

Let me know if I have any of this basic info wrong. This is the list I'll use when pitching the story to CanadaAM. I think I'll probably have to travel the furthest to get to a CTV affiliate's studio, though the folks in the Toronto area might take more time to get there with the traffic!

So, hang tough. I'm going to get a preliminary pitch together and send it off in the next day or two, just to see if they're receptive to the idea of covering our story. If they are, then we can start working out the details. Even if they do want to do a segment on us, they may not want to have this many people in little boxes cluttering up the TV screen, they might only want to have one or all three of Frank, Ruth and Ally live in the Toronto studio, and link to Jenna in NYC. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Kim Gogo
09-26-2005, 11:03 PM
G'marnin' gang!

List of Canadians in the Anthology (so far as I know)

Kim Gogo -- Ottawa

I mentioned earlier, Bob Cowan is a friend of my friend who works at a local radio station here in Ottawa. Bob used to work with them. Would you like me to try to get into contact with him? Or, if you would like to reach him, you could mention my name (Kim Gogo-Melvin, spouse of Matt Melvin who used to work at 54 Rock/the Bear).

Let me know.

kim

JennaGlatzer
09-28-2005, 01:48 AM
I'm going to consolidate the other threads here. If you're interested in coordinating with other local-ish writers, please post here to say where you live!

Me: Long Island, NY.

scfirenice
09-28-2005, 01:49 AM
Baltimore Area, Maryland.

JennaGlatzer
09-28-2005, 01:51 AM
KimJo (http://www.absoluteboards.com/member.php?u=1070) vbmenu_register("postmenu_338781", true);
Board fanatic

http://www.absoluteboards.com/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gif

Maine-iacs
I posted this question on the Books and Media threads, but in the event it got overlooked:
Is anyone else from Maine?

Dawno
09-28-2005, 01:52 AM
Silicon Valley (San Jose, Palo Alto, etc) NorCal - can also cover SF area

JennaGlatzer
09-28-2005, 01:53 AM
biotales (http://www.absoluteboards.com/member.php?u=132)

TN
Besides Moondancer and myself.... (Biotales)... anyone one else from the central TN area... I am putting together a list of contacts and I will include anyone else in this area....for PR purposes...
http://www.absoluteboards.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

...not learn much from learned books, but from true, sincere, human books, from frank and honest biographies.

#2 (http://www.absoluteboards.com/showpost.php?p=338552&postcount=2) OneTeamOneDream (http://www.absoluteboards.com/member.php?u=2745) vbmenu_register("postmenu_338552", true); Join Date: Jun 2005

I'm in Missouri, about 4 hours from Nashville.

Chris

mommie4a
09-28-2005, 02:02 AM
Northeastern Ohio

Robin Bayne
09-28-2005, 02:53 AM
Baltimore Area, Maryland.

Me too. :)

Sully
09-28-2005, 04:43 AM
Seacoast New Hampshire

Mary

Yeshanu
09-28-2005, 04:55 AM
Kim,

I just PM'd you. Check your mailbox.

WVWriterGirl
09-28-2005, 04:55 AM
Linley Marcum, Chapmanville, West Virginia

BUT...I am (well, may be) able to travel as far away as Columbus, OH or Pittsburgh, PA...both are cities I've either been to or through. Contact me if you need me - I'm in the boonies, so there'll be no one else for me to coordinate with.

OneTeam OneDream
09-28-2005, 05:05 AM
biotales (http://www.absoluteboards.com/member.php?u=132)

TN
Besides Moondancer and myself.... (Biotales)... anyone one else from the central TN area... I am putting together a list of contacts and I will include anyone else in this area....for PR purposes...
http://www.absoluteboards.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

...not learn much from learned books, but from true, sincere, human books, from frank and honest biographies.

#2 (http://www.absoluteboards.com/showpost.php?p=338552&postcount=2) OneTeamOneDream (http://www.absoluteboards.com/member.php?u=2745) vbmenu_register("postmenu_338552", true); Join Date: Jun 2005

I'm in Missouri, about 4 hours from Nashville.

Chris

I should also say I'm about an hour away from St. Louis. I work there 5 days a week, so I might as well live there.

sthrnwriter
09-28-2005, 05:16 AM
I'm in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Shwebb
09-28-2005, 05:23 AM
Southeastern Ohio. I'm right across the border from West Virginia, 2 hrs south of Columbus, 2 1/2 hrs south of Cleveland. 2 hours northwest of Charleston, WV.

I'm a geographical oddity--two hours from everywhere! (Stolen and paraphrased from "O Brother, Where Art Thou?")

RoseWrites
09-28-2005, 05:36 AM
I'm in Northern California. Sacramento and surrounding areas.

anyone else nearby?

janetr
09-28-2005, 06:35 AM
Hello all,
This is my first time on the thread, although I have been keeping up with most all of the posts.

I am in Minnesota--it seems far from anyone else but you never know. I haven't counted 100 contributors yet. I am anxious and excited to be involved in this wonderful project! and cannot wait to experience the full force of Absolute Writers. I am holding back on sending out press releases and such for now but have some ideas in the works.

Since this is my first time on the board and I have computer phobia (along with other phobias) I hope this works.

Janet
Afton, MN

rtilryarms
09-28-2005, 06:43 AM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

BJ Bourg
09-28-2005, 06:58 AM
Mathews, LA -- a tiny town about 50 miles southwest of New Orleans

bjb

PattiTheWicked
09-28-2005, 07:16 AM
Pickerington OH, which is a large suburb just southeast of Columbus. I'm willing to drive up to four hours in any direction to help out with promo stuff.

Jenna, don't know if you've been following the discussion, but Ray, SHWebb, and Ken and I have been discussing a press conference and book signing out in Ken's neck of the woods, near Dayton. Looks like it will be the second week or so of November.

mrs75
09-28-2005, 07:24 AM
This way if someone sees that another person lives in their area, they can PM each other and make it easier to coordinated things in their areas. This is a great idea. This way those close to each other may even be able to get together for a book signing.

I'll tell where I'm from but I'm pretty certain no one is from my area :cry: , or around it, and if they are I would be delighted to work with them. I'm from Harrisburg, Illinois (Southern Illinois area). I will cover, and anyone near me can contact me (if there is anyone), Harrisburg IL., Marion IL., Carbondale IL., Golconda IL., Elizabethtown IL., Rosiclare IL., Eddyville IL., or anywhere in these areas (if you're from around these areas you'll know the nearby towns).

TemlynWriting
09-28-2005, 07:26 AM
Houston, Texas

(and I'm so excited to be a part of this!)

Anyone else from anywhere in Texas? I'd be willing to travel a few hours, depending on where...even as far as Dallas and San Antonio!

OneTeam OneDream
09-28-2005, 07:27 AM
This is a great idea. This way those close to each other may even be able to get together for a book signing.

I'll tell where I'm from but I'm pretty certain no one is from my area :cry: , or around it, and if they are I would be delighted to work with them. I'm from Harrisburg, Illinois (Southern Illinois area). I will cover, and anyone near me can contact me (if there is anyone), Harrisburg IL., Marion IL., Carbondale IL., Golconda IL., Elizabethtown IL., Rosiclare IL., Eddyville IL., or anywhere in these areas (if you're from around these areas you'll know the nearby towns).

Cape Girardeau, MO. Not right next door, but not too far either.

JAlpha
09-28-2005, 07:27 AM
Atlanta, Georgia

mrs75
09-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Cape Girardeau, MO. Not right next door, but not too far either. Very true. Not exactly next door neighbors, but it's great to know someone here is that close :)

Richard White
09-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Originally? Camdenton/Hallsville/Warrensburg MO

Now? Columbia, MD

In between? Monterey, CA (x2); San Angelo, TX (x5); Ayer, MA (x2); El Paso, TX; Clarksville, TN; Sierra Vista, AZ; (if you couldn't guess, I was in the Army for this period of time).

JennaGlatzer
09-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Jenna, don't know if you've been following the discussion, but Ray, SHWebb, and Ken and I have been discussing a press conference and book signing out in Ken's neck of the woods, near Dayton. Looks like it will be the second week or so of November.

I have, and I'm so excited! Sounds like fun. Great work, folks!

And welcome, Janet!

aruna
09-28-2005, 09:59 AM
England: South East.

Any other UKlers here?

mommie4a
09-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Pickerington OH, which is a large suburb just southeast of Columbus. I'm willing to drive up to four hours in any direction to help out with promo stuff.

Patti - I tried to put this in a rep point but hit send by mistake! I'm two hours north of Columbus, straight up 71/271 North.

Shwebb
09-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Jill, do you want some help in your area, too?

rtilryarms
09-28-2005, 04:57 PM
I need help in Florida. anyone want to move here?

Unique
09-28-2005, 04:59 PM
No. but I'll visit. :0

Clayton, NC <- Wackatoa, east of Raleigh

Jean Marie
09-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Southwest, Connecticut

Shwebb
09-28-2005, 05:04 PM

Maybe, Mike, but isn't there a chance the proceeds from this book might end up benefitting your area someday? I'm allergic to hurricanes. :)

PattiTheWicked
09-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Patti - I tried to put this in a rep point but hit send by mistake! I'm two hours north of Columbus, straight up 71/271 North.

Wanna go to Dayton with us? :)

Also, would any of the Ohio writers be interested in coming to a book signing in Columbus? I'm trying to get something worked out, and will keep you all posted.

Shwebb
09-28-2005, 05:13 PM

Also, would any of the Ohio writers be interested in coming to a book signing in Columbus? I'm trying to get something worked out, and will keep you all posted.

You betcha, Patti. As long as it isn't too close to my due date.

maestrowork
09-28-2005, 05:53 PM
Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Dayton... even Lexington/Louisville... I'll be there... (yeah, I travel a lot)

PattiTheWicked
09-28-2005, 06:10 PM
You betcha, Patti. As long as it isn't too close to my due date.

:::backs away cautiously:::

Uh, yeah, when was that again?

Shwebb
09-28-2005, 06:16 PM
:::backs away cautiously:::

Uh, yeah, when was that again?

First week of December. I probably shouldn't schedule anything definite past November 27. Don't worry, Patti, if I have the baby during a press conference or book signing, think of the publicity!! :)

PattiTheWicked
09-28-2005, 06:43 PM
First week of December. I probably shouldn't schedule anything definite past November 27. Don't worry, Patti, if I have the baby during a press conference or book signing, think of the publicity!! :)

:::gathers up towels, warm water, string and a pair of scissors:::

When I was an EMT I delivered three babies in the field. We could make a fortune if you popped your puppy out at a press conference!!!

Kim Gogo
09-28-2005, 06:59 PM
And Schwebb, it might be a good idea to keep the names Katrina and Rita off your list. Though, knowing the media, that could increase the coverage....

:)

AKA ERASER, YESHANU and KIDA ADELYNE, since you are all in the same vicinity in southern Ontario, would you think you could organize a book signing in a Toronto bookshop? If so, perhaps I could drive down. I am unable to come down November 5th, I believe, because I'm going to Chris deBurgh (here in Ottawa). In hindsight, if I had've come to Toronto on November 4th, I could have killed two birds with one stone!

Are any other Cdns going to be in central Canada in November?

kim

Shwebb
09-28-2005, 07:19 PM
:::gathers up towels, warm water, string and a pair of scissors:::

When I was an EMT I delivered three babies in the field. We could make a fortune if you popped your puppy out at a press conference!!!

Oh, I'm all okay w/ that, Patti. I was an EMT-advanced for 14 years, and my husband is a career paramedic. Matter of fact, my OB let him deliver my last child by himself!

WVWriterGirl
09-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Since it appears I'll be promoting alone, anyone have any tips for setting up a signing? Will I have to purchase the books myself (if so, there'll be no signing). Anything anyone can add beyond fliers/posters and media (PR to newspapers, tv and radio)?

Thanks!

Shwebb
09-28-2005, 07:50 PM
Linley, I'll be glad to promote w/ you. Patti said she might be able to, as well, but I can't speak for her. But I dont yet know how it's going to work, yet, either!

rtilryarms
09-28-2005, 08:04 PM
No. but I'll visit. :0

Clayton, NC <- Wackatoa, east of Raleigh

I am looking to relocate in the Hickory, NC area. Let's just trade homes.

rtilryarms
09-28-2005, 08:05 PM
Maybe, Mike, but isn't there a chance the proceeds from this book might end up benefitting your area someday? I'm allergic to hurricanes. :)

Nah, we are a FEMA magnet

mommie4a
09-28-2005, 08:14 PM

Dayton's a bit far, but definitely keep me posted. Ya never know! I'll be trying to work some stuff out in the Cleveland area, maybe Akron too and have some connections to the book review folks at The Plain Dealer.

littleblackdog
09-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Madison, WI

Vanessa
09-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Baton Rouge, LA

saraht
09-29-2005, 12:19 AM
Hoschton, Georgia. Never heard of Hoschton and wonder where in the world is it? Well, let me tell you.

Hoschton is located about 65 miles north of Atlanta and about 40 miles from the South Carolina line. Just look for Gods country if you should come to Georgia, that's where you'll find Hoschton.

Violet

KimJo
09-29-2005, 12:43 AM
Sully (I hope you check in), I've sent you a private message.

September skies
09-29-2005, 01:51 AM
I'm from Visalia/Porterville California :) just south of Fresno

I don't believe I see any other SOS writers from this area, but is there a more direct thread somewhere (to see where everyone is from).... It's hard to see where everyone is from with all the messages.

Ken Schneider
09-29-2005, 02:27 AM

Yep, give a holla'. I'll come over.

Ken

eldragon
09-29-2005, 03:00 AM
Born and raised (18 years) in Southeast Kansas.
Lived in Boise, Idaho, Twin Falls, Idaho for 2 years.
Lived in Atlanta, GA. for 2 years.
Lived in Rock Springs, WY. for 6 months.
Lived in Las Vegas, NV., for 12 years.
Lived in / live in Biloxi, MS., and Ocean Springs, MS .....for 6 years.
Just bought a new house in Perkinston, MS., TODAY. (really ...closed at 3 pm.)

Gillian
09-30-2005, 04:47 AM
Hi. I just joined the Water Cooler because lurking was not doing the job. I am Australian (be nice to me, I was born that way!). If any other Aussies are round, can we work together?

Also, I have a blog. Not a big deal in and of itself, since lots of people have blogs, but it means I can post the press release there when it is finalised. I have already posted a link to the SoS page. If anyone has any thoughts of other things I can do, please say - I am feeling singularly unimaginative today.

LieselGarmach
09-30-2005, 07:34 AM
I'm in Austin, Texas.

Writer2011
09-30-2005, 08:06 AM
Raleigh, North Carolina

aruna
09-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Another call for UK members of the team... whether or not you're a contributer; I'd just like to talk about distribution, media, promotion in Britain etc. Don't tell me I'm the only Brit here!

JennaGlatzer
09-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Other British contributors (I believe): Richard, Sarah Crabtree, Maggie B Dickinson.

JennaGlatzer
09-30-2005, 10:02 AM
P.S. Welcome, Gillian!

Gillian
09-30-2005, 10:04 AM
Thank you, Jenna. I should have registered ages ago - I have known about the Water Cooler's existence long enough!!

aruna
09-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Other British contributors (I believe): Richard, Sarah Crabtree, Maggie B Dickinson.

Thank you! Are they members of AW? Do I know them by another name?

aruna
09-30-2005, 10:22 AM

You forgot Shelagh, Jenna! :)

JennaGlatzer
09-30-2005, 10:55 AM
Ah, yes! There may be others I'm not thinking of, too. I'm no good at remembering where people are from.

Richard is here under the clever screen name Richard. ;) I don't know if the other two are forum members.

Alphabet
09-30-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm from UK too, aruna (see location), but as a SAHM I'll be limited in what I can do (appearances or even coherent phone conversations) by Alphabet Jr.

She came out with a curl in the middle of her forehead, you know.

I'm not convinced that anyone would buy the book just to get my inkspill on the page anyway! On the other hand, if we can get a TV show interested I might be able to attend - given it coincides with the flexible times/days of my husbands job, that is. On the other hand it might be better if I didn't, being no walking wonder. LOL

Re: Promotions - I've got a few things up my sleeve (yeah, apart from spare diapers and wipes etc) - I'll be sending a proposal to the senior merchandise controllers (buyers) at every major bookstore chain I can think of. I'll be asking them not only to stock it, but to make a special consideration (re: discount taken) due to its special status as a full-profit donated charitable anthology. And, I've planned something else a bit special too in a different but equally worthwhile direction.

aruna
09-30-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm from UK too, aruna (see location), but as a SAHM I'll be limited in what I can do (appearances or even coherent phone conversations) by Alphabet Jr.

For a moment, I thought Alphabet Jr would be doing your apperances and phone conversations for you!
I had to look Stevenage up on the map, my geography of the UK is very bad. I am in Eastbourne. Anyway, just good toknow where everyone else is.

CharmianChristie
09-30-2005, 04:19 PM
List of Canadians in the Anthology (so far as I know) UPDATE: Robert just contacted me, so we now have eight Canadians!

Robert Rohloff -- in Winnipeg
Kim Gogo -- Ottawa

Let me know if I have any of this basic info wrong. This is the list I'll use when pitching the story to CanadaAM.

Hello All,

Add another Canadian to the list. I'm from Guelph, Ontario, which is about 100K west of Toronto.

Charmian - who's just learning to navigate this massive form

Kim Gogo
09-30-2005, 04:26 PM
I'm not convinced that anyone would buy the book just to get my inkspill on the page anyway! On the other hand, if we can get a TV show interested I might be able to attend - given it coincides with the flexible times/days of my husbands job, that is. On the other hand it might be better if I didn't, being no walking wonder. LOL

Most of us are 'no walking wonders', Alphabet. :) That's what is so wonderful about this book. Individually, we might not mean much but as a group, we are enabling a great deal of money to go to the US Red Cross in a time when they're inundated with nature's fury.

Most of us feel a little odd about offering ourselves for interviews or book signings. I've got the whole "I only wrote a few lines of a poem compared to everyone else's whole entertaining story" syndrome, but I have to force myself to realize that if I were to let my pride stop me from approaching and offering that kind of publicity, less people in my area will know about it and therefore less money will go.

And in a way, admitting in the interview that you are 'just' a mom trying to help is an EXCELLENT way to show the public, who are also 'just' moms and dads and young people and seniors, that each individual person can 'try to help' by buying a copy of the book and that their small effort of buying one book is part of a greater whole. And by suggesting that it's a good Christmas present, maybe those individuals will buy two books, or three, or four....doing an even greater service to the cause.

kim...also a SAHM.
p.s. Perhaps we should call ourselves SAHWM (Stay-at-home-writer-moms. ;)

Yeshanu
10-01-2005, 02:18 AM
Charmain,

I sent you a Private Message.

Ruth

brainstrains
10-01-2005, 02:24 AM
I'm in the Allentown PA area but travel often to Philly, NYC, and NJ.

Alphabet
10-01-2005, 02:51 AM
p.s. Perhaps we should call ourselves SAHWM (Stay-at-home-writer-moms. ;)
Don't get me started on that, oh... too late, lol

what about

mums who are happy at home authors
(a.k.a. MWA-HA-HA)

Kim Gogo
10-01-2005, 02:57 AM
Don't get me started on that, oh... too late, lol

what about

mums who are happy at home authors
(a.k.a. MWA-HA-HA)

I'm glad you got started. I love it! :)

kim

Cabria
10-01-2005, 03:04 AM
Most of us feel a little odd about offering ourselves for interviews or book signings. I've got the whole "I only wrote a few lines of a poem compared to everyone else's whole entertaining story" syndrome, but I have to force myself to realize that if I were to let my pride stop me from approaching and offering that kind of publicity, less people in my area will know about it and therefore less money will go.
;)[/QUOTE]

Kim,

My contribution is in poetry as well (inspirational prose to be precise). The thing about it though, is that each and every one of us has something unique to contribute. I think as writers we all have "our special something" to offer to the world. That is something to be proud of. And being a part of Stories of Strength is something to be proud of in a big way. And you're quite right, the more publicity, the more profits generated.

Debbie :)

Alphabet
10-01-2005, 03:37 AM
Oh, I wanted to straighten it out, but I couldn't work out how to put it... but now I can - I wasn't depreciating myself or my contribution, merely my signature.

That is exactly it - I think what is amazing is that many of us are just ordinary people, not celebrities or even successful (yet) in our field of writing necessarily - and I am reluctant to seem to be denying that.

I'm also totally confident that at least two or three dozen contributors are going to go on to become hugely famous authors, and that this book is going to become increasingly desirable, and signed copies even more so! What I don't expect, though, is for the general public to realise that yet.

As for my copy, it is going to have a very special place and if I get proved wrong I hope it is only because instead of two or three, four or five dozen make it.

Christine N.
10-01-2005, 03:52 AM
Brainstains - I'm in NJ, and I can travel to Philly or thereabouts.

I'm also with the SAHWM's :) I'm a poor, poor woman. But rich in three year old hugs and kisses!

AmyDoodle
10-01-2005, 06:20 AM
What a great group! I submitted my essay and went to bed for a week with whatever ugly, creepy flu-crud is going around, and when I found my way here, you guys already had a world-wide network of folks helping folks. Now that's an impressive kind of global warming. I'm honored--and more than a little humbled--to be included in this project. I'm from upstate South Carolina, deep enough in the South that even my unspoken thoughts have accents.

Ken Schneider
10-01-2005, 06:39 AM
Welcome Amy, And congrats on being in Stories of Strength with us. What a wonderful thing huh? If we all do our part it will go far and help those who need it well into the future.
Ken

BlueTexas
10-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Houston, Texas

Anyone else from anywhere in Texas? I'd be willing to travel a few hours, depending on where...even as far as Dallas and San Antonio!

I'm in Weatherford, TX, about an hour and a half west of Dallas. Maybe if there are several of us Texans, we could meet in the middle, around San Antonio or Austin?

KYBard660
10-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Hello, all,

I'm one of the authors selected for S.O.S., and I'm hoping to be able to promote the project in my area of Kentucky. I know I need to wait until the book and press release are ready to go, but I had the same question as some others about whether or not there will be a master list of contributors for specific areas. I've been perusing the threads and haven't found this question answered, though I might have missed it.

Basically, my thinking is that when I begin to contact area news media, it would be great if I could say "X number of Kentucky authors are among the writers represented in an anthology ..." Of course, I would want to have names and contact info available. As a former newspaper journalist who has dealt with press releases, I know our local newspapers (specifically those area newspapers I've worked at) are much more willing to turn a press release into a full-fledged feature story if there is a local connection.

I know Jenna and many others are working hard to get this project done (and I offer my thanks and gratitude to them for working so hard), so I don't want to distract them if this issue is already covered. But I want to do as much as possible to get the word out when the time is ready.

Thanks to all for working on this project. I'll do whatever promotional activity I can to get the word out regardless.

Robert Villanueva

Ken Schneider
10-01-2005, 11:55 PM
Hi Kybard, there are some people from Cincinnati here, don't know where you are for sure. There are folks from W.V., and I assume just about every state, Canada and Great Britian.

I guess if anyone would happen to bump heads only one story would be posted in the paper. This is about the book, the victims, and to me, not who is in the tome. I plan to push Stories of Strength not myself.

Just my humble thoughts,
Ken S.

KYBard660
10-02-2005, 12:30 AM
Thanks, Ken S.,

I agree. I want to promote S.O.S., not myself particularly, but I'm hoping to give S.O.S. as much exposure as possible. From my own experience in the newspaper business, a press release that had no local ties either got an extremely edited blurb buried within the newspaper or got tossed in the waste basket, depending on the item. With local ties, that's less likely to happen, and that's what I was referring to.

I will promote S.O.S. regardless. I'm just trying to take advantage of the best possible way to do that, using the knowledge of my past experience. I think this project deserves the best press possible.

Robert Villanueva

Ken Schneider
10-02-2005, 01:09 AM
I agree. Kybard.

I work at the newspaper, so I don't have that problem. We have five papers tied together, It'll run in all of them. I do understand what you are saying though.
It is never a bad idea to work that angle, heck yes, make sure your own name is in the press release.

Ken

mdin
10-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Hey Ken, where do you work? You can respond privately if you'd like.

I work at a newspaper also.

MarkPettus
10-02-2005, 02:42 AM
I recommended in earlier post that everyone who is sending out a press release add a handwritten note at the top:

Hi, I live here in Podunk Township, and I helped put this together. We'd appreciate any exposure you can give us.

or something of the sort... whether you have a story in the anthology or not, if you are sending out press releases you helped put it together...

I work for a huge multi-media conglomerate, 90 + papers, two dozen radio stations, and half that many television stations. We have two papers out of commission in Katrina's wake, and hundreds of displaced workers and their dependents. I've already gotten permission from our Grand Poobah to use the GLOBAL email list for the press release. Of course, this screws up that whole witness protection thing....

rtilryarms
10-02-2005, 04:45 AM
Of course, this screws up that whole witness protection thing....

DANG IT! I was just getting ready to expose you.

rhymegirl
10-02-2005, 05:07 AM
Where is everybody from?

I'm from Pluto.

SRHowen
10-02-2005, 05:41 AM
I'm in Texas--near Austin. I'm all for a meeting with other AW writers.

Shawn

JennaGlatzer
11-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Bumping just to mention that I'm working hard to get a CBC interview for our Canadians... :) (It helps that half the interviewers in Canada are dying to talk to me about Celine right now.)

Good Word
11-04-2005, 05:12 PM
I'm in Salem, just outside of Boston.

TemlynWriting
11-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Houston, Texas

I'm in Austin, Texas.

I'm in Weatherford, TX, about an hour and a half west of Dallas. Maybe if there are several of us Texans, we could meet in the middle, around San Antonio or Austin?

I'm in Texas--near Austin. I'm all for a meeting with other AW writers.

Shawn
Just remembered this thread!

So, we've got 4 in Texas that we know of.
1 near Houston (me)
2 near Austin
1 near-abouts Dallas

Anyone still want to try and meet up for this cause?

BlueTexas
11-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Just remembered this thread!

So, we've got 4 in Texas that we know of.
1 near Houston (me)
2 near Austin
1 near-abouts Dallas

Anyone still want to try and meet up for this cause?

Julia--there's a little B&B in Calvert, Texas, close to Austin, that might be interested in hosting something. I'll keep posting here as I hear...

TemlynWriting
11-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Julia--there's a little B&B in Calvert, Texas, close to Austin, that might be interested in hosting something. I'll keep posting here as I hear...Sounds great! I'll keep checking in for more info.

rtilryarms
11-04-2005, 09:02 PM

We have a Cyber-Psychic!

ChunkyC
11-05-2005, 01:03 AM
Bumping just to mention that I'm working hard to get a CBC interview for our Canadians... :) (It helps that half the interviewers in Canada are dying to talk to me about Celine right now.)
W00t! I've sent the pr to the CBC radio show "As It Happens"....