Where Everyone is From

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
Maple Leaf Contingent

I'm bouncing around to all the different threads, trying to keep track of promotional ideas, etc.

Jenna, I was wondering if you could let us know how many Canadians are involved, as I am sure the Canadian media thrives on this kind of information. Some kinda identity-crisis thing, I'd imagine! ;) HA!

Anyway, Charlie et al, I don't want us to duplicate our work, though it does sound that Charlie has the west coast, there is someone on the east, and then there may be at least one other writer from Ontario besides me...though I can't remember her/his name. Whomever you are, will you be in a position to approach Global TV and the CH? I used to be a friend-of-a-friend with an on-air personality on CH when he lived in Ottawa and worked at a radio station where my husband used to work.

I'm tackling local media as I think the eastern writer is. Charlie sounds like he's managing the local media in the west, as well as approaching CanadaAM. Charlie, it sounds like all four of us are available to talk to CanadaAM, though I'm not sure if they would be interested in the expense of flying us in for an interview together, or bringing in a camera crew for a remote. I think they're located in BC, are they not? Perhaps if anything, they'd settle for a telephone conference call, or something.

In regards to papers and radio, I haven't considered a national representation; just local as well.

For bookstores, I never considered approaching them (ie Chapters) b/c, like the eastern writer, I'm not familiar with how to go about asking them if they'd be interested in advertising a POD book. If any of the other Cdn writers do approach Chapters, we should bring it to the attn of the others, so that we can walk in and say, "several Vancouver Chapters are volunteering to help with the publicity...yada...yada...".

I feel a little awkward about offering a book signing with my little piece of the gigantic puzzle. I guess it's a little bit of small-town pride but I feel like people will look at me like I'm trying to gain attn for myself. What do you say? "This is the book..yada...yada...would you be interested in having some form of book-signing to aid with publicizing such a good cause?" It seems a little....odd to me. I guess the best word would be unusual, since I've never been involved in a book-signing. Is it up to the writer to suggest it to the bookstore/store?

There is a big book fair coming up. I have to talk to a fellow executive member of the Ottawa Cdn Authors Assoc branch. I'm the local program coordinator. Perhaps she'll let me stick some books/flyers on their table.

That's about it for now. Hope to hear from you, here in the redwhiteandred thread to discuss plans for taking-over the Cdn market. I'm sure I will still bounce around between the other forums. I like to keep up with the plans.

ciao...kim

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good idea for this thread, Kim. We can coordinate the Canadian effort from here.

I only have a moment, but as far as CanadaAM is concerned, I believe they can link up with any of their affiliate studios. The show is broadcast from Toronto. I would only need to go to the CTV station in Calgary, you to the Ottawa one, and so on. Jenna would probably be able to go to whatever studio in NYC that CTV habitually works with. This is if they like the idea, of course.

I'll be getting an inquiry out in the next day or so.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I'm terrible at remembering where everyone is from, but I know we have at least 3 other Canadians involved: Frank, Ruth, and Ally.

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
Contributors Names Cities/States/Countries

Jenna, Is there any way to get a list of names of author contributors with city/state/country? If you don't have where everyone lives, maybe we could start a thread as a list. Have everyone list there name and where they live if their piece has been accepted.

This way if someone sees that another person lives in their area, they can PM each other and make it easier to coordinated things in their areas.

Ray, Sara and I will be working together as Pennsylvania authors, and anyone in Western Pa who may be interested in joining forces can get together for one big book signing. We're working on trying to get Barnes & Noble involved along with a few other bookstores in the area.

I'll start with mine, feel free to move it to a separate thread for others to list their residence, it may help cooridinate the efforts.

Joanne D. Kiggins, Economy Borough, Sewickley, PA, USA

Last edited:

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah Kim, I'm going to start hitting the media around here (the Maritimes)tomorrow...assuming that I don't get sidetracked with regular errands...but I'll be sure to get it done by the end of next week.Anyone else from Atlantic Canada representin'? Just wondering. I've never done promotion on this level before so any help would be great (though I've got a lot of pointers from the other threads).

-Adam (the man behind the moniker) :)

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
jdkiggins said:
Jenna, Is there any way to get a list of names of author contributors with city/state/country? If you don't have where everyone lives, maybe we could start a thread as a list. Have everyone list there name and where they live if their piece has been accepted.

I'll start with mine, feel free to move it to a separate thread for others to list their residence, it may help cooridinate the efforts.

Joanne D. Kiggins, Economy Borough, Sewickley, PA, USA

Good idea, Joanne! If Jenna moves your post, I'll find it and add to it.

Hi, Adam--I think we're a group of four up here. You are in the East, Charlie's in the West, I'm central, with someone else, but I can't remember who. I'll have to dig through some old posts to find the person and PM him/her to join us, so we know precisely who and where s/he is. Unless, Charlie, you know who s/he is...?

k

Cabria

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ChunkyC said:
Good idea for this thread, Kim. We can coordinate the Canadian effort from here.

I only have a moment, but as far as CanadaAM is concerned, I believe they can link up with any of their affiliate studios. The show is broadcast from Toronto. I would only need to go to the CTV station in Calgary, you to the Ottawa one, and so on. Jenna would probably be able to go to whatever studio in NYC that CTV habitually works with. This is if they like the idea, of course.

I'll be getting an inquiry out in the next day or so.

Hey Charlie,

Just as a point of interest, the co-host of Canada AM, Seamus O'Regan, is from St. John's, Newfoundland. Just thought I'd mention that seeing that's where I'm from. :)

Debbie

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Debbie--it's good to find out about you and where you are. I think that makes five Cdns so far.

In many ways, it's great that we are spread out b/c we can cover more ground. It's unfortunate though, b/c it means we can't easily get together to sign books as a force.

kim

Cabria

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Kim,

I'm going to do my best with my immediate local area (once everything is finalized). I'm learning all of this as I go along (good experience for sure)! Hopefully I'll cross all my t's and dot all my i's (hmmmm....I'll probably dot the t's and cross the i's! lol)

Debbie :)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
G'marnin' gang!

Debbie -- I thought of that tidbit about Seamus. I'm of Irish descent, so we can appeal to him on two levels there!

List of Canadians in the Anthology (so far as I know) UPDATE: Robert just contacted me, so we now have eight Canadians!

ChunkyC -- Charlie, in Canmore near Calgary
Robert Rohloff -- in Winnipeg
aka eraser -- Frank, near Toronto
Yeshanu & Kida Adelyne -- Ruth and Ally, near Toronto
Kim Gogo -- Ottawa
Maddwriter -- Adam, Halifax
Cabria -- Debbie, St. John's, Newfoundland

Let me know if I have any of this basic info wrong. This is the list I'll use when pitching the story to CanadaAM. I think I'll probably have to travel the furthest to get to a CTV affiliate's studio, though the folks in the Toronto area might take more time to get there with the traffic!

So, hang tough. I'm going to get a preliminary pitch together and send it off in the next day or two, just to see if they're receptive to the idea of covering our story. If they are, then we can start working out the details. Even if they do want to do a segment on us, they may not want to have this many people in little boxes cluttering up the TV screen, they might only want to have one or all three of Frank, Ruth and Ally live in the Toronto studio, and link to Jenna in NYC. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

Last edited:

Kim Gogo

Lady of the North
Registered
Reaction score
Yeshanu & Kida Adelyne

ChunkyC said:
G'marnin' gang!

List of Canadians in the Anthology (so far as I know)

ChunkyC -- Charlie, in Canmore near Calgary
aka eraser -- Frank, near Toronto
Yeshanu & Kida Adelyne -- Ruth and Ally, near Toronto
Kim Gogo -- Ottawa
Maddwriter -- Adam, Halifax
Cabria -- Debbie, St. John's, Newfoundland

I mentioned earlier, Bob Cowan is a friend of my friend who works at a local radio station here in Ottawa. Bob used to work with them. Would you like me to try to get into contact with him? Or, if you would like to reach him, you could mention my name (Kim Gogo-Melvin, spouse of Matt Melvin who used to work at 54 Rock/the Bear).

Let me know.

kim

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I'm going to consolidate the other threads here. If you're interested in coordinating with other local-ish writers, please post here to say where you live!

Me: Long Island, NY.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
KimJo vbmenu_register("postmenu_338781", true);
Board fanatic

reputation_pos.gif

Maine-iacs
I posted this question on the Books and Media threads, but in the event it got overlooked:
Is anyone else from Maine?

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
biotales
reputation_pos.gif

TN
Besides Moondancer and myself.... (Biotales)... anyone one else from the central TN area... I am putting together a list of contacts and I will include anyone else in this area....for PR purposes...
smile.gif

...not learn much from learned books, but from true, sincere, human books, from frank and honest biographies.

#2 OneTeamOneDream vbmenu_register("postmenu_338552", true); Join Date: Jun 2005
reputation_pos.gif

I'm in Missouri, about 4 hours from Nashville.

Chris

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Linley Marcum, Chapmanville, West Virginia

BUT...I am (well, may be) able to travel as far away as Columbus, OH or Pittsburgh, PA...both are cities I've either been to or through. Contact me if you need me - I'm in the boonies, so there'll be no one else for me to coordinate with.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
biotales
reputation_pos.gif

TN
Besides Moondancer and myself.... (Biotales)... anyone one else from the central TN area... I am putting together a list of contacts and I will include anyone else in this area....for PR purposes...
smile.gif

...not learn much from learned books, but from true, sincere, human books, from frank and honest biographies.

#2 OneTeamOneDream vbmenu_register("postmenu_338552", true); Join Date: Jun 2005

reputation_pos.gif

I'm in Missouri, about 4 hours from Nashville.

Chris

I should also say I'm about an hour away from St. Louis. I work there 5 days a week, so I might as well live there.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Southeastern Ohio. I'm right across the border from West Virginia, 2 hrs south of Columbus, 2 1/2 hrs south of Cleveland. 2 hours northwest of Charleston, WV.

I'm a geographical oddity--two hours from everywhere! (Stolen and paraphrased from "O Brother, Where Art Thou?")

Status
Not open for further replies.