PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Beta Reader for Contemporary Women's Novel (with Modern Twist)

Napptural Beauty
11-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Hello AW Family:

I'm a newbie here. Well, not really. I've been a lurker (sucking up all the enormously awesome advice here) for over a year. However, this is my first official post.

I am in need of a beta reader (more than one, if available, as I want multiple points of view) for my 109,000-word contemporary women's novel. I completed the manuscript almost a year ago, have done several rewrites over the course of nine months, and had the manuscript read by a handful of trusted readers (whose feedback was incorporated into the many revisions).

Now, I am at a crossroads. I've submitted a large number of queries (approx 50 or so) within the past month. To date, four resulted in a request for the full. I've sent them off and just received the big "R" from one of my top two choices (no decision from the remaining three yet). Bummer, for sure. Yeah, I even shed a few tears out of disappointment. So, here's the thing. The feedback received from the agent was as follows:

"Thank you very much for your submission. It definitely has some high points. However, I think that it still needs some work in order to be publishable. I would suggest continuing to look for outside evaluation through friends, colleagues and writing clubs. Please keep me in mind for future projects or rewrites."
So now I'm a bit confused. I picked very different and diverse readers the first go round, but now it seems the handful that have already read my book were not enough. Let's just say I'm in a horrendous state of self-doubt. I need more feedback and fast. I know my book is not perfect, but apparently there are some more kinks that need ironing out. Hence, my need for H-E-L-P!

Here's a quick synopsis of my book for those of you who may be interested:

"Faith Sinclair has the perfect marriage and a life many women only dream of. The 27-year old policy analyst and newlywed is beautiful, smart, on the career fast track, surrounded by caring friends, and married to a loving and successful man. The Seattle native turned L.A. transplant could not be happier. That is, until she discovers her husband is not the man he pretends to be.

Seemingly overnight, Faith’s husband Darryl becomes cold, distant and deceitful. When the 36-year old orthopedic surgeon isn’t lying, disappearing at night or holding hushed conversations on his cell phone, he’s belittling and disrespecting Faith with impunity, treating her like a stranger in her own home and marital bed. When Darryl’s old friend Angela moves into town, things quickly turn from bad to worse. The beautiful, curly-haired redhead instantly renders Faith insecure as she senses something’s amiss with the pair’s friendship.

As unanswered questions mount and Darryl’s erratic behavior intensifies, Faith soon suspects he’s cheating. When she confesses her suspicions to best friends Nina and Madison, they suggest she hire a private investigator. But, before the P.I. has a chance to deliver his findings, Darryl’s secrets unravel on their own. While spending Thanksgiving with Darryl’s family in Washington, D.C., Faith discovers a secret email from Angela on his laptop. The words ‘I love you, but I won’t keep lying’ and ‘tell Faith or I will’ seem to scream at her from the computer screen. Faith boards the first flight back to L.A. – without Darryl – and confronts Angela. A physical altercation ensues wherein Angela denies having an affair with Darryl, but admits to knowing of his indiscretions. She refuses to give Faith details, saying it isn’t her place to reveal his secret, but gives Faith the address to a secret apartment he’s been keeping behind her back.

When Faith finally walks into 9041 Keith Avenue - the location of Darryl’s secret apartment - she comes face to face with Darryl’s secret. A fateful discovery that sends Faith's life into immediate turmoil."
If this novel is of interest to you, please drop me a line. I'm looking to receive feedback as soon as possible, so speedy readers are especially appreciated. Also, this novel contains African American characters and cultural and social issues unique to their experience. Just thought I'd let you know so that there are no surprises in case this book interests you.

Thanks everyone,

Napptural Beauty

lexxi
11-10-2010, 07:26 PM
I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Napptural Beauty
11-11-2010, 01:51 AM
I so appreciate your help. I'll PM you shortly with details.

- NB

TxAuthor
11-11-2010, 08:50 PM
N.B.,

If you'll allow me to read first 3 chapters to decide on reading entire, will be happy to help.

Let me know.

Napptural Beauty
11-12-2010, 02:11 AM
Thanks TX Author! I'd be happy to. I'll be in touch shortly!

- NB

Napptural Beauty
12-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Hey Lexxi and TxAuthor -

My apologies for the delay in getting in touch with you. I had a bit of a family emergency to deal with these past three weeks or so. I'm back to a bit of normalcy and would still like to take you up on your offer. I'll be sending you a PM in the next few days to touch base. THANKS AGAIN!

- Napptural Beauty