PDA

View Full Version : Anyone feel like betaing the first 5K-6K of a grim contemporary YA ASAP?

The_Ink_Goddess
11-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Hey, guys! :) So I'm struggling with my WiP -- feels like there's something not quite "there", and I just need some inspiration and cheerleading. It's YA, but it's kinda dark and "edgy," I guess.

Here's the plot (very rough, done on the fly...)

The laidback world of stoner Stella falls apart when the head of her best friend, Rowan, is found in a shallow grave. The night after, she receives the first message: an anonymous note that contains an address.

There, she finds Rowan's hand.

And so Stella becomes determined that the rest of Rowan is out there. More and more messages arrive; it's time for Stella to get her shit together and find what remains of her best friend.

But there is method to the messages and, soon, Stella inadverently discovers the real killers: an almost-cult who live right downstairs, and have a taste for human flesh.

And they want Stella's body.

But she's not giving it up without a fight.

telford
11-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Hello Inky,
Well from the rough plot you posted it seems that you have something here, but the question is...what? May I make a suggestion? Assuming that you actually have a polished story ready for critiqueing, place the first 1500 words onto Share Your Work. This will not always be a pleasant experience and can be downright painful at times. But, if you want to improve your writing this is the place to start. If you get positive feedback then you may consider looking for a beta; and who knows? I might even be interested. Stories about body parts always work for me but if that's all you've got...
Anyhooo, give SYW a go and see how thing work out for you. This is my humble opinion so take the good, leave the rest. Good luck.

JayliaDarkness
11-13-2010, 06:12 AM
I'll read it if you'll read some of my edgy YA manuscript. Your story sounds great. Send me as much as you'd like me to read to my email at PrincessJaylia@aol.com. Then, I'll send you an equivalent of mine. Like, if you send me 5,000 words, I'll send you my first 5,000 words.

The_Ink_Goddess
11-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Sorry, Jaylia, I should have said this -- this thread is now closed. I rewrote my 5/6K. :)