PDA

View Full Version : Talking in your sleep :D

backslashbaby
11-09-2010, 11:31 PM
I love whacky sleep stories, and I got a huge kick out of one this morning.

I can carry on conversations in my sleep that I never remember later. In the morning, I am known to lie very convincingly on the phone about whatever anyone is asking me. Seriously, people have to give me hard math problems to tell whether I'm really awake or not.

This morning, my dad was up my way and was buying donuts. He called to ask if I wanted some, and what kind.

Apparently, I really wanted coroner donuts. He thought maybe I'd said 'corner' donuts, but I corrected him rather bitchily that of course I meant 'coroner' donuts. Duh.

One of my WIPs involves a murder investigation :ROFL:

brainstorm77
11-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Apparently I do this a lot... Or so I've been told.

Adam
11-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Apparently I do this a lot... Or so I've been told.

More "random sounds" than "talking," most of the time. :D

brainstorm77
11-09-2010, 11:38 PM
More "random sounds" than "talking," most of the time. :D

Oh! Even better. Thanks for sharing.:poke:

Adam
11-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Lol! You started it. :D

brainstorm77
11-09-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm surprised this is the first thread I've even seen at AW on this topic.

Perks
11-09-2010, 11:48 PM
This morning, my dad was up my way and was buying donuts. He called to ask if I wanted some, and what kind.

Apparently, I really wanted coroner donuts. He thought maybe I'd said 'corner' donuts, but I corrected him rather bitchily that of course I meant 'coroner' donuts. Duh.

One of my WIPs involves a murder investigation :ROFL:Lol! Coroner donuts.

My sister is the queen of weird random sleep outbursts. Once she walked into my room, from her room, to yell, "Jamie, what's your big, fat problem?!" at me while I was asleep.

At a sleepover, she sat up suddenly, scaring us all from our sleeping bags to announce, "And that was the other poem I was telling you about."

But my alltime favorite was waking her up from where she'd been sleeping on the tv room floor. (We had been watching a movie and she'd dozed off.) She got up, dashed to the laundry room door, bent waaaaay over at the waist in slow motion and tapped, very softly, near the bottom of the door.

When I asked her what she was doing, she said, "But you said... you said... awww, forget it." Then she curled up at the bottom of the door and went back to sleep.

She hadn't been drinking. She was only about ten years old. Lol!

Perks
11-09-2010, 11:53 PM
And I used to sleep walk. I would get up and unplug electrical appliances. Once I woke up with my dresser drawers emptied around me, folding stuff back in. Once I woke up in the closet, wound up like a mummy in my bedsheet. Didn't like that one at all.

The last time I walked in my sleep, it was a classic horror movie thing. Normally, once I finally woke up I'd be able to nail down some vague remembrance of how I got there. But this last time was maybe nine years ago. I woke up and pulled back the bedcovers and saw dirt on the sheets at the bottom. My feet were dirty. My shoes were in the wrong place. (I'm very tidy and always put things in the same spot. I think I'm convinced on some level that I'll go blind one day.)

Anyway, that was weird enough, but later that day, my raging alcoholic neighbor told me that he'd seen my sister on the deck at about 5am as he was going to bed. Problem was, my sister wasn't visiting at the time.

Eeeep.

I have no idea what I did that night.

Jersey Chick
11-10-2010, 12:02 AM
One time, I was dreaming about seeing Jerry Seinfeld in his stand-up comedy days. I woke up laughing hysterically - I mean like, my sides ached from laughing so hard kind of hysterical. I couldn't remember what it was that was so funny, but man, I was laughing so hard I was crying. :D

shyne
11-10-2010, 12:07 AM
I laugh in my sleep quite a bit.

cray
11-10-2010, 12:22 AM
an asleep someone, once said to me these sage words that i'm about to impart to you all now. provided, of course, that you all agree to use them for good, not evil.

by highlighting the words below (which you will find written in invisible type) you agree to the terms outlined above.

zucchini bread

quickWit
11-10-2010, 12:24 AM
cray's wife talks in her sleep sometimes.

Wayne K
11-10-2010, 12:33 AM
My sister sings in her sleep......badly

backslashbaby
11-10-2010, 12:52 AM
And I used to sleep walk. I would get up and unplug electrical appliances. Once I woke up with my dresser drawers emptied around me, folding stuff back in. Once I woke up in the closet, wound up like a mummy in my bedsheet. Didn't like that one at all.

The last time I walked in my sleep, it was a classic horror movie thing. Normally, once I finally woke up I'd be able to nail down some vague remembrance of how I got there. But this last time was maybe nine years ago. I woke up and pulled back the bedcovers and saw dirt on the sheets at the bottom. My feet were dirty. My shoes were in the wrong place. (I'm very tidy and always put things in the same spot. I think I'm convinced on some level that I'll go blind one day.)

Anyway, that was weird enough, but later that day, my raging alcoholic neighbor told me that he'd seen my sister on the deck at about 5am as he was going to bed. Problem was, my sister wasn't visiting at the time.

Eeeep.

I have no idea what I did that night.

Perks, I'm so glad you were familiar with this phenomenon before you met me :D

Perks and I shared a hotel room for a writer's conference, as complete strangers.

It was an absolute blast! Except for the embarrassing fact that I screamed loudly at her in my sleep for getting up in the night :e2smack:.

I think I'd warned you of my eccentricities :D :D

Jess Haines
11-10-2010, 12:58 AM
I have a friend who would have entire conversations with you in her sleep. She'd answer questions and everything.

She's surprisingly easy to get blackmail material out of... :D

Jessianodel
11-10-2010, 01:09 AM
I don't think I sleepwalk, but my brother used to. Once my dad caught him, in his soccer uniform, with his soccer ball, walking outside to "go to a game". It was in the middle of the night!

Perks
11-10-2010, 01:15 AM
Perks, I'm so glad you were familiar with this phenomenon before you met me :D

Perks and I shared a hotel room for a writer's conference, as complete strangers.

It was an absolute blast! Except for the embarrassing fact that I screamed loudly at her in my sleep for getting up in the night :e2smack:.

Do you know, I actually totally forgot about that until just this second. God, I'm laughing so hard now. You scared the shit out of me.

brainstorm77
11-10-2010, 01:17 AM
cray's wife talks in her sleep sometimes.:ROFL:

Sophia
11-10-2010, 01:26 AM
I haven't sleepwalked since I was a child (that I know of), and I think I was told that I'd done it a couple of times then. Once, when I was very young, I had apparently got up from the open living room at my relatives' house where several of us were sleeping, walked to the fountain in the middle of the courtyard and had climbed up on to the edge, before one of my aunts or uncles finally stopped chuckling and decided they ought to turn me around at that point. :D

Hubby reports me suddenly saying nonsensical things to him in the night, before falling asleep again while he's left scratching his head, but it's rare enough to be a source of amusement rather than irritation, fortunately. :)

backslashbaby
11-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Do you know, I actually totally forgot about that until just this second. God, I'm laughing so hard now. You scared the shit out of me.

:ROFL:
:ROFL:

Cella
11-10-2010, 01:40 AM
cray's wife talks in her sleep sometimes.
in your dreams...

Devil Ledbetter
11-10-2010, 02:10 AM
My 9-year-old has always talked in his sleep. He doesn't just talk though, he makes big statements in a profound, authoritative tone. I don't know how many times I've awakened thinking who is he arguing with?

Jax3683
11-10-2010, 02:16 AM
I've been known to hold entire conversations in my sleep :Shrug:

kayleamay
11-10-2010, 02:36 AM
My husband whimpers in his sleep. He swears this didn't start until he married me.

:(

imagoodgurl4
11-10-2010, 03:46 AM
Haha, my cousin Jack used to talk in his sleep. We all grilled him one night and he told us about his crush on Rebecca Romijn Stamos, and he though he was Spiderman and tried to climb my brother's bedroom wall.

Then, once, we were on a family vacation and stayed at my dad's friend's house and I must have slept walked because my dad came into the bathroom and found me sleeping on the bathroom floor and when he tried to wake me up, I yelled, "Somebody's in here!"

Then, my friend and former college roommate once told me that when she got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, I was asleep in my bed and my legs were straight up in the air. I didn't believe her and so she waited the next night and took a photo of it and showed it to me. Indeed, I am asleep on my back with my legs straight up in the air. Kinda funny and we laugh about it all the time, lol.

Mom'sWrite
11-10-2010, 07:27 AM
I have been known to be sound asleep with my eyes open. People talk to me, receive no reply, grumble about my rude behavior, then leave.

My children all laugh in their sleep, not tittering giggles either, but rolling around belly laughs. I usually storm into their rooms because it's 3 am and only sleeping should be going on. And it is.

Oh sometimes, they scream like they're being dismembered. I don't like that as much as the laughing.

The former Mr. used to tell jokes up to but not including the punchline. Gah.

tiny
11-10-2010, 07:44 AM
A couple of days ago the hubs - who talks regularly in his sleep - said in a clear strong tone "Well, fuck you then."

More entertaining than the triage sessions but still a disturbing way to be woken up at night.

jennontheisland
11-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Yup. I do. I've been told it's anything from unintelligible mumbling to actual sentences. The sentences are very often nonsense though, with wrong words (driving to opera in a banana), verbs and nouns in different orders, and things that sound like words but aren't. This is completely in line with the kind of dreams I have, most of which, when I tell them to other people, come across as surreal nightmares... I don't tell many people about the dreams I consider scary.

My brother once witnessed my younger sister and I (we were sharing a room one summer) having an arguement in our sleep.

Vito
11-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Video of puppy barking in his sleep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDGFrp3lp7E

Satori1977
11-10-2010, 08:57 PM
I don't, but my husband does. I have had whole conversations with him, and he actually talked on the phone with someone while asleep.

Sometimes it is annoying, like when he wakes me up with his talking, and then I realize he is still asleep and doesn't know what he is saying.

The worst though was after his first tour in Iraq and he was having nightmares. The only thing I remember him saying was, "I am going to fucking kill you."

Now I know he wasn't actually talking to me, but it was pretty scary. He felt bad about it too, and couldn't remember what exactly he was talking about.

Grrarrgh
11-10-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't have any experience with sleepwalking or talking myself, but there's a woman who has a blog - www.sleeptalkinman.blogspot.com/ (http://www.sleeptalkinman.blogspot.com/) - that she claims is all stuff her husband has shouted out in his sleep. Some of it is pretty funny. I have no idea if it's all real or made up or what, but it's entertaining at least.

cynicalpirate
11-11-2010, 01:55 AM
Apparently I chat in my sleep quite frequently. My little sister once woke me up one early morning and asked who Francisco was when I was about nine or ten.

It turned out I was sayin the name in my sleep along with some other unintelligble chatter and she heard me from across the hall (Francisco was the name of a classmate I had a crush on in 4th grade).

Haven't been told of any other instances by my folks of me talking in my sleep, but I'm sure there's been plenty of times when they've woken up to me laughing or squeaking (my form of screaming) in my sleep.

BeatrixKiddo
11-11-2010, 02:14 AM
I've been told I talk in my sleep sometimes but what shocked me most was finding out recently I also apparently sleepwalk sometimes and I had no idea.

My mom talks in her sleep a lot. When we were kids, she'd freak my brother and me out by sitting up, saying a full sentence while looking directly at us, then lying (laying?) back down and going back to snoring. She might rememeber what she was dreaming about at the time but she'd never remember talking to us. lol.

truelyana
11-12-2010, 05:06 AM
I love whacky sleep stories, and I got a huge kick out of one this morning.

I can carry on conversations in my sleep that I never remember later. In the morning, I am known to lie very convincingly on the phone about whatever anyone is asking me. Seriously, people have to give me hard math problems to tell whether I'm really awake or not.

One of my WIPs involves a murder investigation :ROFL:

Do you know why you carry on conversations in your sleep? Have you ever wondered what is the cause of it, for it to happen?

My partner used to sleep walk and talk in his sleep with me, and not remember what happened, both the sleepwalking and the talking, until I confronted him about it, and asked where he knew where it was coming from. He no longer does it, as he figured out why, and I empowered him to discover it on his own. :)

Satori1977
11-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Do you know why you carry on conversations in your sleep? Have you ever wondered what is the cause of it, for it to happen?

My partner used to sleep walk and talk in his sleep with me, and not remember what happened, both the sleepwalking and the talking, until I confronted him about it, and asked where he knew where it was coming from. He no longer does it, as he figured out why, and I empowered him to discover it on his own. :)

There is definitely a reason why some people do it. My husband only did it after doing a tour in Iraq. He had a hard time sleeping, and was quite restless when he did fall asleep. Lately he has started up again, but he hasn't been sleeping well and been stressed out (recently lost his job). I think stress/worry play a big part.

truelyana
11-12-2010, 09:57 PM
There is definitely a reason why some people do it. My husband only did it after doing a tour in Iraq. He had a hard time sleeping, and was quite restless when he did fall asleep. Lately he has started up again, but he hasn't been sleeping well and been stressed out (recently lost his job). I think stress/worry play a big part.

Indeed it does, and it helps put things in perspective. Especially if they are affecting a person in this way. It's good to work out a way to heal oneself, especially when these types of patterns occur in sleeping.

I hope that your husband finds peace within himself, whatever happens. And I send this blessing to you from my heart. :LilLove:

backslashbaby
11-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Oh, for me my sleep is very, very strong. My dreams are vivid, I lucid dream on occasion, and coming out of dreams just takes a good deal more effort than with most people, I think.

When I'm still dreaming and wake up, it's when most people would come fully awake. Except I'm still half-dreaming :)

It runs on my mom's side. My grandfather believed strongly in it being a mystical sort of a gift until he turned Pentacostal (formerly Muscogee religion).

I have the sort of sleep experiences that would lead people to believe they were abducted by aliens, etc. Some have been pretty mystical, I must say. Mostly I just dream very strongly, I think ;) :)

Cliff Face
11-13-2010, 12:52 PM
I've never lucid dreamt, though I'd like to. To be aware I was dreaming and that I could do anything I wanted? *cue evil laughter*

My dreams range from abstract things that I don't remember five minutes after waking up, up to vivid dreams where I remember them even weeks later.

This morning I was dreaming. I don't remember much of what I did in those dreams, but mum was there and I was wearing a mood ring. I haven't worn a mood ring in about 6 years... but during my morning smoke I was surprised that there wasn't one on my finger. The dream went round and about to various things, I believe (I get a vague sense of lots of stuff happening, just no idea what) and all through it I was wearing that ring...

And I can still remember it now, after 7pm. Weird.

But as for sleepwalking and talking, I don't as far as I know. I have vague recollections of my brother talking in his sleep. I know he freaked out my aunt and uncle when they passed his room. Apparently he was being rude and giggling, and they were trying to tell him off when they realised his eyes were closed and he was snoring a little.

Never had any experiences with sleepwalking though...

backslashbaby
11-13-2010, 01:03 PM
I have only controlled my dreams once or twice with the lucid dreaming. Great fun! Short :) Mostly, I lucid dream to try to wake up. I can wake out of dreams much better if I figure out I'm dreaming and tell myself I need to wake up.

The worst is when I have sleep paralysis. That's when folks think aliens have abducted them, etc. Mine have never been very scary, but it's an awful feeling to be caught dreaming and awake and unable to move.

Dreaming and awake and moving is just me talking in my sleep on the phone :ROFL:

Cliff Face
11-13-2010, 01:22 PM
I've had sleep paralysis once before. Horrible experience...

Also, that sleep-talkin' man site that someone linked is fucking hilarious and a total time-sink.

MissMacchiato
11-13-2010, 04:06 PM
I've walked into my parents bedroom in the middle of the night and brushed their curtains down. When they asked me what I was doing, I told them I was getting a mouse off the curtains.

Another time, I was waiting for a phone call and I fell asleep. I rang them back when I woke up and complained that they'd never called me. They said they did call me, and they'd had a full conversation with me. I didn't remember any of it!

If you talk to me when I'm falling asleep I say some pretty stupid things. I take audio notes for my writing as I'm falling asleep sometimes, and listening to them in the morning is always hilarious

Vito
11-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Hey, nobody noticed my puppy video!:e2bummed:

Eudoxia
11-13-2010, 11:40 PM
I sometimes talk in my sleep. My friend told me that I once held a random conversation with him for 5 minutes about a indigo sky and transparent birds. He also said that I got up and started dancing while humming some tune.

I should start recording what I say in my dreams. Since my dreams are better at making ideas for a fantasy story than my conscious self.

backslashbaby
11-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Hey, nobody noticed my puppy video!:e2bummed:

I am totally going to watch that in a couple of days when my data plan resets! I love that kind of stuff!

My little guy dreams and growls and barks this cool sleep-bark that would be much louder in real life :D If he seems afraid at all, I wake him up. But he loves getting to growl and be the big scary guy, so half the time I know it's a great dream!

I imagine he's taking down a few rotties :D He's a chihuhua mix.

Cliff Face
11-14-2010, 08:54 AM
My previous dog used to do that, and the one before that would run in her sleep... not actual running around the yard or anything, but laying down with her legs moving.

Jessianodel
11-14-2010, 09:11 AM
My dogs twitch their legs and whimper. My boy puppy sometimes growls and shows his fangs. If we let it go on they geet louder and more scared sounding so we usually wake them up.

But if they're really into their dream we whisper "get 'em, go get 'em" and they get louder lol and twitch more.

Vito
11-14-2010, 11:25 PM
I imagine he's taking down a few rotties :D He's a chihuhua mix.
I had a dachsund-chihuahua mix when I was a kid. She "played well" with other dogs (and cats, too) but was grumpy and aggressive toward almost all strangers who entered my house. A total brat, but I loved her! :)