Finding Forrester

Babybeeker14

Registered
Reaction score
I'm watching Finding Forrester. Movies like these and Freedom Writers really inspire me to keep writing no matter how good or bad I think my material is...just keep writing. Anyone else think the same thing?:Shrug:

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
I'm watching Finding Forrester. Movies like these and Freedom Writers really inspire me to keep writing no matter how good or bad I think my material is...just keep writing. Anyone else think the same thing?:Shrug:

What's even better is that Finding Forrester was written by Mike Rich - a total unknown who wrote it on spec in between working a morning shift at a radio station and waiting for the kids to come home. He subbed it, and it was rejected by all the major players, more often than not coming back unopened. He then submitted it to the Nicholls Screenwriting Fellowship. It won, and he sold it to Columbia (one of the studios that had earlier rejected him) as part of a two picture deal for $1.2 million. :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
it was rejected by all the major players, more often than not coming back unopened. He then submitted it to the Nicholls Screenwriting Fellowship. It won, and he sold it to Columbia (one of the studios that had earlier rejected him) as part of a two picture deal for $1.2 million. :)

That in itself is inspiring. Rejections are just that. But if you have a good story, eventually you will prevail. Perseverance!

Reaction score
What's even better is that Finding Forrester was written by Mike Rich - a total unknown who wrote it on spec in between working a morning shift at a radio station and waiting for the kids to come home. He subbed it, and it was rejected by all the major players, more often than not coming back unopened. He then submitted it to the Nicholls Screenwriting Fellowship. It won, and he sold it to Columbia (one of the studios that had earlier rejected him) as part of a two picture deal for $1.2 million. :)
That in itself is inspiring. Rejections are just that. But if you have a good story, eventually you will prevail. Perseverance!
It is indeed.

*looks at Booker-Prize-free awards shelf*

*cries*

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
If you spend any time on the Teens writing for Teen's thread, you will see me encouraging them to keep fucking writing by screaming, "PUNCH THE KEYS!"

And when they do, I tell them that they are the man now.

Dog.

Babybeeker14

Registered
Reaction score
That is one truly awesome fact! I never knew that! I love finding stories like that...the "against all odds" success stories! I also love stories like "Freedom Writers" that encouraged teens to draw from thier own life experiences no matter how painful, and write about it. I loved how healing that was for many of them and then they got to see their words in print. Completely life-changing for so many of those kids!