PDA

View Full Version : Call for Submissions: Voices of Breast Cancer Vol 2

Richard Day Gore
11-08-2010, 05:31 PM
LaChance Publishing is seeking true, first-hand stories of literary merit for Volume 2 of its acclaimed Voices of Breast Cancer anthology. If you or someone you know has had breast cancer and wish to share your heartfelt, inspiring, true story of facing this life-defining challenge, this could be a great way for you to give courage and comfort to others.

Build your deepest core of feelings and true experience into a narrative that will rivet the reader’s attention and foster a sense of hope and community. Your story should focus on one of the topics listed below:

Discovery and Diagnosis: How did you discover your cancer? What were your fears and how did you deal with them?

Taking Charge of My Treatment: What hurdles did you face in seeking and getting treatment, and how did you handle the day to day challenges of going from diagnosis to treatment and beyond?

Dealing with Physical Changes: How did the changes you went through make you feel about yourself and the world? How did you handle the emotional and physical challenges?

Family and Friends: How did your diagnosis and treatment affect those around you? How did it affect your intimacy with your mate, and how did you deal with these challenges? Were there issues in the workplace? Did you have to explain your cancer to your children?

Looking Back: When did you go from identifying yourself as a patient to identifying you as a survivor? What new perspectives have you gained from the experience of breast cancer? What have you gained and what have you lost? How has it felt to cross the 1, 5, 10-year survivor mark?

Multiple submissions are permitted. Your story or stories should contain a minimum of 600 words and a maximum of 4,500 words. We pay up to $150 for stories accepted for publication.

Submission guidelines, as well as more on LaChance Publishing and Voices of Breast Cancer, can be found at www.lachancepublishing.com (http://www.lachancepublishing.com/)

Thanks and best regards,
Richard Day Gore
Senior Editor
LaChance Publishing

Maryn
11-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Hi. Thanks for sharing the opportunity. One problem, though. (Don’t worry, it’s an easy fix.)

We ask that pay rates be included in the subject line of all Paying Markets posts. (See the RULES OF THE PAYING MARKETS FORUM: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING A NEW THREAD/COMMENTING (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11828) thread.) Your post doesn’t include the pay rate at all, much less in the subject line. "A fee will be paid for stories accepted for publication" doesn't tell us enough.

Why do we need this? We've had repeated problems with our members being critical of pay rates. By putting what you're paying for how many words right in the subject line, and again in the post, AW’s writers need never even open posts for paying markets whose pay rate they consider unacceptable for themselves. Problem solved--but only if everyone posting complies with our rules.

Experience says that expecting AW members to contact you privately about pay rate, or to get the information from a website you’ve linked, won’t do it. In fact, we’ve found it fairly common for the linked guidelines to have no mention of pay rate. I've clicked to four pages of the site you linked, and I see no specific payment mentioned.

It will help us a lot if you edit your post to include the pay rate. Contact the board moderator to add the information to your subject line. Meanwhile, we wish you the best of fortune for speaking up for women who have breast cancer.

Maryn, thanking you in advance

redflame
11-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Can not access link! :rant:

Maryn
11-10-2010, 12:14 AM
redflame, it's working for me. Are you perhaps at work, with a firewall or other software blocking couldn't-possibly-be-work-related sites? Or behind a filter which is intended to block sexual material but includes breast cancer sites on its banned list because its crappy filter sees the word breast and freaks out? Either of those can do it.

Maryn, still hoping the OP will tell us what they're paying

redflame
11-10-2010, 04:52 AM
Maryn, I do have firewall. Ok, well... Let's hope the pay info is provided as you requested.

Richard Day Gore
11-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Hi Maryn et. al.,

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I couldn't edit the subject line but added the payment info into the actual ad. Please let me know if I should delete this and repost.

Absolute Write writers have contributed to almost all of our previous volumes!

Thanks again,
Richard

Maryn
11-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Richard, I'm not trying to be a PIA, but I don't see a monetary amount mentioned in the post. That and the word count is what we require. There's no shame or problem if you can't afford to pay a lot, but we need to know specifics.

It's great that so much of your content has come from AW. I hope you'll agree it's a great place to call for submissions. (It's also a great place to find support for health challenges, including breast cancer.)

Maryn, probably a PIA nevertheless

Richard Day Gore
11-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Holy cow,

How embarrassing, and thanks for being a PIA, which you're actually not. As my grandmother used to say, "The hurrier I go, the behinder I get." I must not have hit "Save."

Now it's saved. Is this okay now?

Thanks so much,
Richard

Unimportant
11-12-2010, 06:09 AM
Your story or stories should contain a minimum of 600 words and a maximum of 4,500 words. We pay up to $150 for stories accepted for publication.

Richard, is this a straight cents-per-word payment? (i.e. 3.3 cents per word, so a 600 words story would pay $20?)

thanks,
Unimportant but a Pain In the Arse anyways