PDA

View Full Version : Curious about signings and tributes

theneffzoo
11-08-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm no where near submitting my first manuscript, but two things have been on my mind.

Just out of curiosity, is it proper to ask someone's permission before thanking them in print (beginning of the book) for their contribution to your success? What if you only use their first name?
What if they are a published author?

And, the thought of a book signing makes me nervous (I'm sort of an introvert-not very at ease socially).
What kinds of things do you write or say?
What is the experience like generally?

scarletpeaches
11-08-2010, 02:47 PM
I usually ask permission out of courtesy; no-one's ever said no.

If they're a published author? Most of the people I mention in my dedications/acknowledgements are. Unless you mean published authors you don't know personally?

I'd probably say something like, "With thanks to Stephen King for entertaining me with his novels about pink, sparkly unicorns," or somesuch. :D

Never done a signing. Hate the very idea. :D

fredXgeorge
11-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Re acknowledgements: I think most people would be honoured to have their name in the book but I still think it's polite to ask. As for the signings, I have no idea!

theneffzoo
11-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Yes, the author is an acquaintance of my parents who, via email, helped me get started and pointed me in the right direction with fiction.

heza
11-09-2010, 01:00 AM
I got acknowledged without my explicit permission. I was thrilled to be mentioned in print.

Karen Junker
11-12-2010, 04:17 AM
I've held a few booksignings in conjunction with the writers' conventions I've put on. If you are one of several authors, usually you just sit there until someone comes up and asks you to sign their copy of your book. If one of the other authors is someone famous, that might not happen at all.

If you are the only author, or one of maybe two or three others and in a mall bookstore, for example, then the same thing happens. Only it helps to know where the nearest restroom is, because people will ask you.

It's good to have a pen that writes easily -- and you can practice your signature. Often folks will want you to personalize the signature, so ask them who they'd like it made out to -- and then you can add some little thing like "Enjoy!" or some message pertaining to your story such as "May we all sparkle forever."

Never agree to sign books with Sherrilyn Kenyon, unless you wish to be mobbed by her fans as they try to get closer to her.