PDA

View Full Version : Unpublished author but I have an agent

ianh
11-08-2010, 01:30 AM
Question really on normally when you have an agent representing you with two publishing houses interested in your work, how long does it take for the agent to get back to the author, as I have been waiting 2 years,

rainsmom
11-08-2010, 02:14 AM
Wait... You haven't heard from your agent in two years? Have you asked for updates?

suki
11-08-2010, 02:31 AM
No, this is not normal. If you have not done so already, ask to have the submission history in writing, including copies of any editor responses.

And read your contract for your options.

~suki

gothicangel
11-08-2010, 02:36 AM
I want to know the agent.

Failing that, have you searched Bewares?

Susan Littlefield
11-08-2010, 04:38 AM
Not hearing from your agent in two years is unacceptable. Have you contacted him/her for any updates at all? If so, has the agent ever gotten back to you?

I only ask my next question, because years ago I was in the same type of predicament: did you pay the agent any money up front for representation?

I, too, think you should post this information on the agent down at the bewares forum.

It seems to me if two publishing houses (did said agent say which houses?) were interested in your manuscript, you would have heard back much sooner. After all, the agent make money off of sales of your book only.

ChaosTitan
11-08-2010, 06:25 AM
According to this thread in Bewares, all is not kosher with the OP's "agent."

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132773

ETA: to answer the original question, when you have two houses interested and a legit agent representing you, it rarely takes more than a couple of months at the most to get an offer. Two houses means competition, which lights metaphorical fires under people when it comes to making offers. I'd sever all ties with this supposed agent and start anew.

ianh
11-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks for all your input.
You have answered the question really, on I think I need to start afresh and look for a new agent to represent me.

Thanks Again..

Georgina
11-09-2010, 04:02 AM
Sorry to hear you got caught up with a bad agent, ianh.

Before you start looking for a new agent, you need to make sure you've legally severed your ties with your old agent. Your contract should tell you how to do this.

Also, if you're going to be submitting the same manuscript to new agents, follow suki's advice and ask for a submissions history from your current agent before you sever. This is so your new agent won't try to shop your work to editors who've already seen it.

There's lots of good info here at AW on how to find an honest agent. Hope you stick around.

Cheers.

Susan Littlefield
11-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Query Tracker (http://www.querytracker.net/index.php)is a great resource as well. For each agent, they have links to Preditors and Editors to check them out.

ianh
11-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Great advice everyone thanks.
I have read through my contract and have to give 30 days notice I wish to be represented elsewhere.
Lucky I have not paid anything up front (and would not, as the agent is ment to represent your interest and take a cut of sales) and the said agent was on the Writersservices website, so I thought they all had to be registered to be put on that site.